• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They'll let my son join me, right?

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
In keeping with a three year tradition I'm heading to WDW for a solo birthday trip. I had casually mentioned to my son that he could join me if he needed an escape from the cold. Last week he got cheap flights and will be coming, arriving on my birthday. I have a reservation for ONE at LeCellier. I called today to see about making it for TWO and she said they're booked. I couldn't get her to admit that if I showed up at the podium with my son they'd let him join me for my birthday dinner.

Will going from ONE to TWO be a real problem??

:confused:

I don't see why it would be a problem, because surely they'd sit you at a two top table anyway?

Technically they don't have to seat you both. I would show up about 15 minutes early and tell them you are now a party of two.

That doesn't even make sense! All of their tables should have at least two chairs. Going from one to two shouldn't be a problem... if it was four to five it might but that's ridiculous.

I would call back and see if a different person would give you a better answer. Or see if you can find a number to the restaraunt itself.

There are no "tables for one". I have taken two solo trips. I did lots of sit down meals. I was ROUTINELY seated at a table for four. Only twice was I put at a table for two. There is no such thing as a table for one.

Just show up with him. They will not turn you away, and if they try, get a manager. That would be ridiculous...

Thanks, all. You're confirming what I thought, that going from one to two shouldn't be a problem.

I had a feeling that if I was taking to the CM "off duty" she would have said 'no problem,' but when she's following company policy, if there's no room, there's no room. Obviously if everyone with a reservation had one extra person there wouldn't be room, but I'm going with the consensus, that one isn't more than two. (Let's see, is that algrebra or geometry!?:laughing:)

It could be that other reservations and diners at that time fill the room to capacity. All buildings have a maximum person capacity per fire codes. So it might be possible that they might not be able to increase your reservation at this time because they have the room filled - but there are people that do cancel - so I would continue to check.

If you have time, I would call back and check with another CM. I've was able to change a CRT from 3 to 4 w/out problem. I'd think that would be at least a little more questionable (thinking they COULD squeeze a 3 top on a 2 top table) than changing from a party of 1 to a party of 2.

How nice of your son to join you for your birthday...hope you both have a wonderful dinner at Le Cellier....and Happy Birthday

DIsney reservations are just plan weird

Go, tell them you are 2 and have a great trip! :thumbsup2

I wouldn't worry about calling again to confirm. I went on a solo trip last October and not once was I seated at a table that would have only accomodated one - that's just silly. But I made all my reservations for 2 just in case anyway - I figured it was easier to show up and say "it's just me tonight." One night I met up with another Dis'er - we had ADR's for 2 at Cali Grill and another friend of hers showed up to surprise her. No one batted an eye when we said there would be 3 instead of 2. How nice your son could join you - have a great time!

GREAT POST!

I have wondered this as well..

Never been in the situation ...but agree with PP's... on the logistics of it...

Yes - if I worked for WDW as a CM...I've probably been told to say "NO"...

I mean...in the event every SINGLE RESSIE for one night added one person....YES it couldn't be done... I guess you have to plan for that ONE scenario...

BUT as we all know...it's not gonna happen and you'll probably be fine...

Good to know....as DS18 and I are going in May...and I'm still shocked that he's willing to vaca with Dear Old MOM.... in the event he balks at the last minute I'm not opposed to him inviting a friend...

HUGS,
Mary

Sometimes it all comes down to how you ask. When you get to the podium, explain the situation, and politely ask if he can join you. I think they'll say yes but if they don't remember: a cs meal with you son is better than Le Cellier by yourself.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

It could be that other reservations and diners at that time fill the room to capacity. All buildings have a maximum person capacity per fire codes. So it might be possible that they might not be able to increase your reservation at this time because they have the room filled - but there are people that do cancel - so I would continue to check.

I find this HIGHLY unlikely. I can't imagine an establishment filling a dining room with more chairs than people are allowed to fit. :confused3 As it has already been established, there are no tables for one at Le Cellier. If you are a party of one, you will at least be seated at a table for two.

Last summer, we had made reservations for 3 at Le Cellier 90 days out. About a month before our trip, another friend decided to join us. When we called to make the reservation for 4, the CM said nope, they were fully booked. We went there as a party of 4, and had NO problem getting seated whatsoever. AND this was during Free Dining.

Have a great time with your son, OP!! :woohoo:

Thanks for all the support and wishes for my birthday. I don't think I'll call back. I think I'll head to the podium (wearing my birthday button, of course) with a big smile and ever so politely ask if my son can join me. And, you're right, that I'll enjoy CS with him if they absoltely can't find him a chair!:thumbsup2

Does everyone realize that the phone conversations with the Disney Cast Members can be recorded and used as a review process for those Cast Members? So calling and asking "can I just show up with an extra person and be OK?" should always be answered with a "No" by the Cast Member. That's Disney policy and it should be communicated in answer to that specific question. Otherwise, that Cast Member could be in trouble at work.

It's much better to just deal with the restaurant directly and in person. Those are the only people who are going to be able to tell you yes or no. Logistically it shouldn't be a problem but you shouldn't be getting that official answer from any Disney Cast Member over the phone.

disnut8: that's a good point which I hadn't thought of

thanks for adding that perspective :thumbsup2

We ate together! Although I must say they had me guessing up to the last minute. Earlier in the day when I was strolling through Epcot I asked, and was told to come back at 6 (for my 6:45 reservation). I chose the alternate route, which was to show up five to 10 minutes before the reservation and matter of factly say my son was joining me for my birthday.

I've never eaten at LeCellier before and was surprised how small it is, so I can see why the phone reservationaist wasn't showng any available space on her computer. My son and I were at a table for two pretty much smack dab in the center of the restaurant -- wouldn't have been fun solo. I also saw tables along the edge and hope I would have been put there if I were alone.

Thanks to all who responded to my original query. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter