They want to "bend over backwards." What should I ask for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think...(it's been so long now in the process of reading that I'm not sure anymore:rolleyes: ) but I think the orginal poster wanted suggestions on what to do with their next trip coming up:

call the number they gave you, tell them you were told to call when you had another trip planned. tell them when you will be arriving and where you are staying.

if you have any current needs like help with reservations that you haven't been able to get, ask them if they can help you with that.

Other wise, unless they offer, I myself probably wouldn't ask for anything else in particular.

then forget it and enjoy your trip. if any extras come your way, great; if not, don't worry about it.

Have a good vacation!

Originally posted by dreaming
when we were at the bc in december we found a prozac pill on our bed - thought it was awful nice of mousekeeping to leave it there just in case our trip started getting out of hand!:D
Geeze, I've never been so fortunate! LOL!:p

On a serious note:

WELCOME TO THE DIS, MOUSEINMELBOURNE! My little Bro resides in Melbourne, close to the Twin towers...nice area, nice little City (love the Causeway bridge!). I enjoyed your post and appreciate your candor (refreshingly honest). ;) I'm so happy you were "watching" your little one at the time of the "crumb-finding" incident...as it is SO easy to merely look/glance away for a moment...and have them place an object in their mouth. Any one with children knows how easily they are able to accomplish this feat. I sympathize with you about the fear of this object containing something your child is allergic to, which could have spelled disaster. I'm relieved everything worked out okay (in this instance).

I also agree the balcony sliding door should have been secured (by resort associates). These are the "little things" we presume are taken care of by the staff. Such "attention to detail" is included in the price of the room. Not only is it a safety issue for small children, it is a safety issue for your entire family (possible intruders, etc.). Of course, we should all double-check for these things, but even under the BEST of circumstances, we do not. We are human, and prone to Error. I can not count how many times I have possibly dropped crumbs on the floor myself or left a door unlocked in my own home (failing to check it prior to retiring to bed).

Housekeeping is not always to blame, as sometimes...a guest will request to "SEE" a room before staying. Since mouseinmelbourne arrived so late in the eve, someone may have viewed the room and opted for another/change. They could have been eating a cookie, and dropped the crumbs or opened the slider, LONG after housekeeping had thoroughly cleaned the room.

Things happen in life, and no one (not even mouseinmelbourne) is pointing the finger here, or placing blame. She merely wrote Disney to possibly prevent these events from occurring again in the future. Very wise move. If Disney wishes to "bend over backwards" to help her...so be it. It's their spine which is curving, and no one elses.

Mouseinmelbourne...please call the number and speak "freely" and at length about your future visit. A few small concessions/surprises will easily amend the situation, and cost Disney/you nothing. Enjoy your time there...and thanks so much for posting and sharing your experience. ;)

I'd request unlimited room service, a dancing bear, and a quart of Cuervo Gold every morning, but that's just me.

Seriously, considering the prices charged at all Disney resorts, and especially at the Deluxe level, those rooms should be spotless and secured. And if you receive an unsatisfactory resolution to your problem from a CM, carry it to the next level of management. Don't hesitate!
It may take time out of your vacation, but that's what the slackers are counting on. If you don't complain, a lowered level of service and cleanliness will become the norm.

I just spent over $3k for five nights at WDW, including meals, shows, trinkets, & air fare. Other than a meal we didn't really enjoy, everything that was Disneys responsibility went well. If it hadn't, I'd have expected some sort of compensation.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the input I have received. This board is incredible and I am thrilled to have found you. I am a Mouse House local (somewhat) and been to Disney dozens of times, but you people know WAY more than I do about WDW. I am experiencing the magic all over again.

After reading some posts, I started to doubt the validity of my indignity (so to speak). I pulled out the follow-up letter I received from the Resort Exec. Offices. She wrote:

"We would like to extend to you our personalized assistance with your reservation during your next stay at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Please contact our resort team at 407 ####### (wouldn't they hate me if I posted this number!? );) within 10 days of your arrival date after your reservation has been confirmed. We want to ensure your next visit is memorable."

They obviously felt the safety issues warranted special attention. So I think I will ask them for just that. A very clean room, and just a token to make the trip special for my daughter. Of course, I will be sure to keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks again!
Carolyn

To survive, a company needs your repeat business - and that's where you have power, as a consumer. If you stay in a filthy hotel that refuses to apologize and/or clean up its mistakes, you'll vote with your feet and never stay there again. If you stay in an excellent hotel with great service, you'll return for another experience.

But if you stay in a fine hotel that happens to have a lapse in service, a good company that would like to keep your business SHOULD offer you compensation of some sort, and you're well within your rights to take it, especially if it gives the hotel the opportunity to say that it values you and your business.

Given your calm reaction and all that could have happened as a result of these two lapses, I'd say that Disney would be VERY happy to do what it could to keep your business. I'd encourage this behavior! I'd vote for calling the "special" number before your next visit, explaining your past incident and your current needs (extra-careful housekeeping and safety checks) and seeing what they come up with. Make sure you let them know your daughter's age. You could be giving a member of the housekeeping staff as well as a customer service employee a chance to shine!

I've had positive and negative experiences at many different hotels, and I make it my business to give feedback to management. It's particularly important for a company like Disney where strong customer service is part of the culture.

On a recent visit to a deluxe Disney hotel, we were accidently given keys to a room that had not yet been cleaned - and walked up to the door while a cleaning crew was picking up after one of the most astounding messes we'd ever seen, a rock-band-style trashing. The manager, who was helping the cleaners, was mortified. Even though we assured her that we knew the trashing was not the hotel's "fault", she made sure we had a lovely dinner paid for by the hotel, and more importantly, a spotless room awaited us when we returned.

Were we happy customers? You bet. Will that manager's boss get a letter detailing how hard she worked to keep our business? Right again. Everyone who helped clean up that room should be rewarded - and that caring attitude should be encouraged by the employer, because it sure was appreciated by the guest.

MouseinMelbourne,

I wanted to share my peanut experience with you. Back in 99 for my DD's first trip to see the mouse, we stayed off-site (noever again will I listen to my MIL). She got us a "great" rate right outside the main entrance. This was not quite three weeks after discovering (by accident, of course) that my DD is deathly allergic to both peanut and eggs (two trips to the ER in two days with her in anaphylatic shock both times - can you say, "fun?") We check into this room and are unpacking and DD discovers, you guessed it, a peanut on the floor. I had looked around but little ones can find things we don't see - they're just lower to the ground. I whigged out. The front desk, of course, did not give a hoot. Guess they would have cared if DD had ingested said peanut. Mouse, just keep the epi-pen handy and be prepared. By the way, DD is almost 5 now and she has not outgrown either allergy, so be prepared for that also.

Fast forward to our last trip to Disney. On the way home, we were too tired to continue driving, so we stopped at a Hampton Inn. It looked nice enough. Wake up in the morning and go in the bathroom to get ready to leave. DH lets my DD(10mos) on the floor to come get me. She ends up finding a used band-aid and starts chewing on it. How absolutely gross is that? DH realizes that she has something in her mouth and fishes it out and goes storming to the front desk. They did refund some of the night's stay, but I got to worry for months that she would catch something from it.

Bottom line:

You can look over your room till the cows come home. If there is something on the floor behind furniture, the kids are going to find it before you do. Housekeeping should be more careful.

If Disney offers something, you know in your heart what is right for you. Welcome to the boards.

"I'd request unlimited room service, a dancing bear, and a quart of Cuervo Gold every morning, but that's just me."

Oh, that's hilarious! Thanks for the levity!

As a matter of fact, I DID see you at Epcot on New Year's Eve! Weren't you floating by in a pontoon boat? Rains were horrible, eh?

Carolyn

Carolyn wrote-

I am a Mouse House local (somewhat) and been to Disney dozens of times (snip)

In my dreams! Oh Carolyn, you lucky, lucky lady! But I had my chance. I lived in Daytona Beach for a spell decades ago, but had to retreat back to Michigan in the face of all that heat & humidity.
And the interval between trips coupled with the long distance we have to travel makes our Disney trips that much more magical.
That's why we insist on everything being 'as it should be'. Our next bout with the mouse might be many months or even years away!

And welcome to The Dis, btw!

MouseinMelbourne, I had the exact same problem that you had with food crumbs at the Coronado Springs Resort. My son is also allergic to peanuts, so I can totally relate to what you went through. I requested a new, CLEAN, room, and ended up in a room with a broken sink (complete with puddle underneath for our entire stay, even though we called maintenance every day). They did give us 20% off our hotel bill, but I would have MUCH rather paid full price and had a clean, DRY room!! Anyway, if I had been given a special number, I would have called and said "I was given this number due to a bad experience during my last stay. I was wondering what exactly this number is for? They said they would "bend over backwards" to make my stay enjoyable, but I really don't know exactly what that means. Any suggestions?" That way, they can help you, and you don't look like you are "out for something". I bet they would appreciate this approach, and you will probably get more attention than if you called and asked for something specific. Please let us know what happens when you call!!! And welcome to the board.

MouseinMelbourne:

We also had a bad experience with housekeeping but at POFQ. We received a call and also a letter with a special number to call the next time we had a reservation so that we could get "special attention". The person you will talk should have a file about your complaint and works with problems like this all the time. They are very helpful in making sure that your basic request are met like, smoking or non-smoking, your view, floor or room location, etc. I would also definitely asked that they pay special attention to the room when they clean it.

If they offer anything else go ahead and take it but don't be surprised if they don't. So go ahead and give them a call!

I have found the management at Wilderness Lodge to be very customer oriented. Since your problem was with housekeeping, why not simply ask for a room in the section with their best housekeepers? That should do the trick and let them take it drom there. Welcome, by the way. Be sure to give the Lodge another try. They are top notch in our book. No one is perfect but they try their darndest to make a situation right. Good luck.

Welcome MouseinMelbourne. I agree with the positives that have been posted.

For those who are critical over "a few cookie crumbs", let me ask you two questions:
1) Do you know why airlines pass out packs of pretzels? Because the allergy to peanuts can be so great that passengers in another part of the airplane can go into allergic shock just being in the same environment as an open package of peanuts. If you look on many snack food packages you will see that there is a disclaimer that the food was prepared in a factory that processes peanut containing foods. This is because many people are so sensitive to peanuts. And...
2) Have you ever heard of negligence?

I really hope that MouseinMelbourne has a better experience the next time she stays in a Disney Hotel regardless of any special attention that is given as a result of the first experience.

ok I have thought about it and this is what I would do, First I would request the exact room I would want with the view I wanted , three days out before I got there I would call and let the person who sent you the letter know when you will be there, that way they can REALLY make sure your room is up to par. If there is anything extra then so be it, technically you are just doing what many of us do and thats a room request.

and if by chance they decided to upgrade you to conceirge yay for you. Good Luck. Dawn

FYI-I wouldn't ask for an upgrade to concierge-the concierge at WL serves the "uncrustable" peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the evenings and several of the dessert offerings in the evening have peanuts in them. I don't think that they can assure you there won't be any peanut products in the food offerings. From what I've heard, people with actual peanut allergies can't even be near peanuts so I don't think you would be able to take advantage of concierge.

Most of the concierge lounges serve some thing with peanuts.

Disney should give you a spotless room on your next stay. Anything in addition would be nice if you get it.

After reading this interesting and long thread - I thought I'd add my 2 cents -
- I too have a DS with a peanut allergy - and I have always had faith in housekeeping to do the job right (even though I do also have some horror stories) - thanks - in future I will thoroughly check the room upon entering!
- I don't get some with their attitudes about allergies. Bottom line - crumbs could have seriously harmed that child - and in my opinion it's the same as having any other hazardous materials about.
- I spent 17 years in the hospitality industry and in my case each complaint was dealt with on an individual basis. I would suspect that MouseinMelbourne was very reasonable in her complaint and the CM was probably pleasantly surprised that she didn't demand anything. It's just plain good customer service to ensure the customer returns, thus the offer of the phone number. Talk to anyone who works at an airport - those who are polite and reasonable are those who the Reps are more apt to go out of their way for....
MouseinMelbourne - I commend you for not going "nuts" (pardon the pun!) when discovering the potential peanut problem and also pointing it out. (Not sure my DH would have been so kind in the same situation!) Do as the offer was intended - call and let the CM know you are coming back and let them "bend over backwards" - believe me, the offer wouldn't have been made had the CM thought it wasn't warrented.
So don't feel at all bad about some of the responses - in my opinion if Disney wants to offer something, that's between you and them. Hopefully that'll be the best room in the house - if not I'm sure that'll be OK too.
Have a great trip!

Carolyn,

Please don't feel shy about using the number for reasonable requests. My sister had a bad experience with Disney in Epcot that ended with my niece getting hurt (NOT DISNEY'S FAULT). Disney was wonderful and even though my nieces was happy with the stickers given to her in first aid, Disney felt they needed to do something more...and my sister hadn't even complained...it was an accident and she didn't blame Disney at all.

What Disney did was first, they sent an autographed Mickey and Minnie picture to their hotel room. They also sent a free pizza that evening. During the remaining two days, they called my sisters room each morning to "check up" on my niece. When my sister checked out, they again apologized for the accident and gave both nieces (there are two girls) some candy and pretzels for the plane ride (the CM even asked my sister first if it was okay to do so). About a week after getting home, my sister recieved a phone call from a Disney CM asking how my niece was and giving my sister the "special number" for her future visits (she comes down at least once a year). Even though my sis didn't blame Disney and didn't ask for anything, she did use the number a couple of months later...the reason. My niece has lost the Disney pic of Mickey and Minnie so she wanted to see if a new one could be sent.

In your case, as in my sisters, Disney obviously wants to make things up to you. Use the number...if you are unsure of what to ask, keep it simple. As some said, ask for a double check on the room cleaning. Another suggestion I have is maybe asking for the name of the chef at some of the resturants you want to eat at to make sure that the meals will be peanut free...no peanut, no peanut oil used ect. Also a small token such as the "autographed" Mickey/Minnie picture is great for a child.

And for those who might be wondering what happened to my niece, it wasn't anything big. She was playing in the fountain between FW and WS in Epcot and was pushed by some other kid. The push knocked her down cutting her foot on the grate and giving her a bump on her head. Both were minor and neither were Disney's fault but Disney felt the need to go all out to make sure her trip was memorable in a positive way rather than in a negative way..and believe me, she barely remembers the accident three year later.

I have not read this whole thread so forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's ideas.:D Since they gave you the phone number, by all means, USE IT! I'd probably ask to be upgraded to concierge. I've read posts from people who ask for upgrades, balloons and cakes for their 4th anniversary or some "normal" celebration that many people on property may be celebrating at the same time. Your request would be made due to an error made by Disney. It does not matter if Disers agree with Disney's decision or not. Disney is offering. Accept and enjoy.:D

It has been my experience that Disney is very concerned about safety issues. 2 years ago at the Treehouse Villas, my nephew caught his finger in the door and the housekeeper felt responsible since she had left the door ajar. We tended to his finger and assured the housekeeper it was not her fault and that he was fine. She immediately called her supervisor and both manager and assistant mgr of the DI were at our treehouse about 20 minutes later. We explained what happened and told them that it was absolutely nobody's fault. They checked his finger, offered to take us to get medical attention, etc. We were quite impressed by their concern and off they went. A little later, the housekeeper showed up at our door with stuffed toys for each of the 3 kids staying in the treehouse. She was still so upset ... we hugged her and told her again that no one was to blame. I was very impressed with their prompt attention to the situation ... and let's face it, the surprise of the toys was great for the kids and just reinforced in us that Disney really does care about it's patrons.

1) Do you know why airlines pass out packs of pretzels? Because the allergy to peanuts can be so great that passengers in another part of the airplane can go into allergic shock just being in the same environment as an open package of peanuts.

I thought that was where SW was heading..but low and behold..we get pretzels on the way down, and peanuts on the way back..still. Also, our local schools had at one time, tried to forbid peanut butter sandwiches, because a couple of kids were allergic. Now those allergic kids eat in the nurses office.

I sure understand allergies. I have asthma and perfume is a real set off. You know how much fun it is to go into a room that still has the last persons perfume? Or to leave someplace I had to pay to get into, because someone thought they only put on a little, but really flooded the place? And church..yea, I love sitting in the ante room by myself, because so many people either have trouble with their noses and flood themselves, or figured this would cover up no time for a shower. And airlines in the morning..yup, I'm the one wearing that mask, to try to breath past all the aftershave LOL! So I do understand the peanuts on the floor problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter