They want to "bend over backwards." What should I ask for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseinMelbourne

DIS Veteran
When my family stayed at the WL in October we had a less than stellar experience due to 2 safety issues. One, my 2 yr old DD (who is deathly allergic to peanuts) found cookie/candy crumbs on our floor within 15 minutes of arrival. Had they been peanut butter cookie crumbs, we could have had a visit to the ER. Two, my 2 yr old DD discovered the sliding glass door to our balcony on the 2nd day we were there (after already having slept in the room). She tried to open the door and SURPRISE it opened. They had never locked it (and woe to me, I had never checked it. But at least I was standing with her when she opened it!)

Shortly after our visit I wrote to WL and expressed my concern over these safety issues. I had a call from the resorts executive offices wanting details and expressing their concern. I told her that I did not want anything from them, but since we visit often (we are annual passholders living over an hour away and stay over quite often) I want to be sure they improve the situation. She was quite amicable, concerned, etc. She kind of fished around - expecting me to ASK for something. At the end of the conversation, she gave me a phone number to call before our next stay and said they will "bend over backwards, really make this visit special and be sure nothing goes wrong."

Well, our next visit is Jan 22, 23, and 24th. While I do not feel like WL owes us free lodging AT ALL, a few niceties or extra attention would be appreciated. What should I ask for when calling the "special number" and how exactly should I phrase my requests?

Thanks so much for your input!

Carolyn
:confused:

I would definitely check for a free upgrade to maybe a jr. suite or concierge room. Why not ask??? :)

Also they could probably help you get difficult PS's like CRT or Chef Mickey's. :)

Maybe something nice in the room like balloons or a cake??? Something special from the Disney florist maybe??? Or a special card from Mickey??? :)

Enjoy it!! :)

I can't believe they would offer anything really. I mean, it was your responsibility to look out for stray crumbs since your child is allergic, right? If I had a child allergic like that then I would certainly be on the lookout for anything laying around. Maids aren't perfect. What would have happened if someone dropped a peanut under the day bed and it could only be seen by a 2 year old crawing around the floor. Would that be WDW's fault too? And how do you know you didn't forget to lock the sliders? I know when we enter our room every time we check to make sure the slider is locked. I don't know. I don't think I would have had the nerve to complain about something like that much less actually accept something free for it. The only one that should be held ultimately responsible for your child's safety in this case would be you.

Originally posted by TigrLvsPooh
I would definitely check for a free upgrade to maybe a jr. suite or concierge room. Why not ask??? :)

Also they could probably help you get difficult PS's like CRT or Chef Mickey's. :)

Maybe something nice in the room like balloons or a cake??? Something special from the Disney florist maybe??? Or a special card from Mickey??? :)

Enjoy it!! :)

Seriously? All because of what happened which was nothing? Aren't there enough people out there looking for freebies as it is? If the OP really only wanted to make sure it would not happen in the future, whatever that was, then she would honestly turn down any offer and just reiterate that she only wanted them to know of the situation. That is it. Nothing more.

MouseinMelbourne, first off, welcome to the Dis. This is a great community here, and I hope we can answer many of your questions.

You have asked a loaded question in your thread, so please be prepared for all sorts of responses.

While your last stay had two safety issues, no one was hurt. It sounds to me like Disney handled things properly. And it sounds to me like you are a good parent. I have all sorts of food allergies, too (nuts & seafood, to name a few), so I know how scary things can be. And I have two children of my own (one a teenager now and the other still a young girl). I always make sure to latch the extra safety lock that is found on the sliding glass doors of all of the WDW resorts. I hope the next time you enter a WDW resort, you immediately do the same thing.

I hope your upcoming stay is wonderful. Be sure to take lots of photos and share them with us upon your return. Again, welcome to the Dis.

first of all if I found cookie crumbs on the floor, housekeeping would be notified immediatly~ for goodness sakes the price your paying for a deluxe the maids better be moving furniture and cleaning properly. plus since she was only there for a few minutes who is crawling around on the floor yet I know I was still putting things away and getting things organized, hey they obviously thought it was a problem or they wouldnt have offered right? I would definetly ask for an upgrade the next time I went there, they do that all the time anyways and help with reservations they do that all the time also, its just you will be bumped to the head of the line so to speak. Go for it ask it wont hurt anything.

skiwee1, I feel I must thank you for your post. You are correct. NO ONE, other than myself, has a responsibility to keep people with food allergies safe. Aside from the fact that food on the floor of a hotel room is just plain gross, no other guest would have expected a clean room/floor.

We never opened the door. We got in at 9 pm, ordered room service, went to bed. We opened the door for the first time that morning.

Again, I appreciate your post.

Carolynl
:cool:

Disney has already accepted fault/blame when they gave her the special # to call. Obviously they thought it was serious enough to warrant special attention. I merely stated examples of things these "special" people might do for her. It's not up to us to debate whether her complaints were valid.

Many problems reported at WDW resorts go completely unresolved. (I've had several myself) I think it's great that someone is at least trying to make things right with a dissatisfied guest.

Maybe you're a little jealous??? LOL ;)

Terry I think your post was a bit rude....you can see that she is new here (4 posts) and asking for advise and you respond giving her 100% blame. While I can agree that she is responsible for her child's safety, crumbs on the floor IS gross and housekeeping should have taken care of it.

The purpose of her post was to ask what to do with this special number, not to get told how to be a parent.

Carolyn, that number is exactly what they said it was....you can use it to call and request a special view or request and they pretty much guarantee it from what I hear. I hope you enjoy your next stay and welcome to the DIS.

Disney has already accepted fault/blame when they gave her the special # to call. Obviously they thought it was serious enough to warrant special attention. I merely stated examples of things these "special" people might do for her. It's not up to us to debate rather her complaints were valid.

Many problems reported at WDW resorts go completely unresolved. (I've had several myself) I think it's great that someone is at least trying to make things right with a dissatisfied guest.

Maybe you're a little jealous??? LOL ;)

Jealous that I didn't have cookies crumbs on my floor? LOL! Not quite. :rolleyes: I don't see the big deal she is trying to make it out to be other then trying to get a free something or other. Come on. Cookie crumbs? Call housekeeping! If it was one time then it certainly wasn't warranted to write to complain about it. Was the cookie crubms left there on a daily basis? If so then complaining would be the right action but once? WDW isn't accepting any responsibilty for it. They probably feel they have to pacify her or they will lose a guest. Do you really think WDW believes they put her child's life in danger over a cookie crumb that may not even have been peanut butter. LOL! Too funny!

niks81~ my thoughts exactly.:) Welcome MouseinMelbourne.

Well said Nikki! :)

Welcome MouseinMelborne!!! :) I hope you weren't scared off, the DIS is actually a very friendly place.... most of the time anyway. ;)

Originally posted by niks81
Terry I think your post was a bit rude....you can see that she is new here (4 posts) and asking for advise and you respond giving her 100% blame. While I can agree that she is responsible for her child's safety, crumbs on the floor IS gross and housekeeping should have taken care of it.

The purpose of her post was to ask what to do with this special number, not to get told how to be a parent.

Carolyn, that number is exactly what they said it was....you can use it to call and request a special view or request and they pretty much guarantee it from what I hear. I hope you enjoy your next stay and welcome to the DIS.

It might be gross and that is why she should have notified housekeeping immedietely and had it taken care of. If, in fact, they dropped the ball on a daily basis then I could see writing but not over crumbs one time. And no I didn't see if she was a newbie so Welcome Carolyn! I do not want you to think I am really trying to be outright rude. Just honest. You will indeed get answers whether you asked for them or not. :D I'm really not a bad person and I'm sure you are a fine parent. So let me answer your question: My answer is to throw the special number out and be happy that someone listened to your complaints. I would not ask for anything out of it whether it is a balloon, PSs, or a card. That is my final answer! LOL!

Originally posted by skiwee1
Jealous that I didn't have cookies crumbs on my floor? LOL! Not quite. :rolleyes: I don't see the big deal she is trying to make it out to be other then trying to get a free something or other. Come on. Cookie crumbs? Call housekeeping! If it was one time then it certainly wasn't warranted to write to complain about it. Was the cookie crubms left there on a daily basis? If so then complaining would be the right action but once? WDW isn't accepting any responsibilty for it. They probably feel they have to pacify her or they will lose a guest. Do you really think WDW believes they put her child's life in danger over a cookie crumb that may not even have been peanut butter. LOL! Too funny!

Considering her child is deathly allergic to peanuts, any crumbs containing peanuts would have put her child's life in danger. Based on her previous comments, she was not seeking a freebie, just commenting, not really even complaining.

Skiwee, I don't think you see the potential danger here. What if it were broken glass? Or someone spilled presciption drugs? I think Disney was just glad to avoid any serious injury, not to mention a potential lawsuit, and wants to make the guest happy. They spoil the rich and famous guests, I think it's great to spread some *~*magic*~* to us common folk. :)

Have a great trip MouseinMelborne! :smooth:

hi, i would have called housekeeping immediately about the cookie crumbs.i think you should have checked the door to make sure it was locked,that is something that i automatically do when we arrive somewhere.i would not be asking for anything special, i think them offering is plenty.
misty

What I would ask for is an extra good cleaning of the room you will be staying in for your next trip. I would tell the Cm what happened with the cookie crumbs on the floor and express your concern that the room get a special cleaning to eliminate any possible bits of food that could be a danger to your daughter. That is the real issue at hand. If they also offer an upgrade or other service, that is just a bonus. As far as the balcony door. I have often found these to be open on entering the room. That is just one of those child proofing things a parent has to do. Good luck and have a great trip.

Jordan's mom

Originally posted by luvindisneyworld
hi, i would have called housekeeping immediately about the cookie crumbs.i think you should have checked the door to make sure it was locked,that is something that i automatically do when we arrive somewhere.i would not be asking for anything special, i think them offering is plenty.
misty

Well said! That is how I should have said it! LOL! Same thing but much, much nicer. ;)

Jordan's mom - you are SO right! I fully intend to call the number and request the room be scoured. Whether I ask for anything further will be decided later. Like I said the first time AND to WL, I don't think was entirely WDW's fault. I certainly should have checked the door. It was our first time (believe it or not) staying at a hotel since we had a child, so while I childproof my home to the Nth degree, it hadn't occurred to me at the hotel. NOW I know better.

I appreciate the welcome and ALL the opinions. I feel WDW is 50/50 responsible for the "issues." Like a prior poster said, we had just arrived at the room and DD is much quicker than I am. For clarification, I did not call Housekeeping because it was quite, quite late and I wanted to get my daughter to sleep. Waiting around for housekeeping could have taken hours. So I cleaned up instead.

Thanks again!
Carolyn

Skiwee, I don't think you see the potential danger here. What if it were broken glass? Or someone spilled presciption drugs? I think Disney was just glad to avoid any serious injury, not to mention a potential lawsuit, and wants to make the guest happy. They spoil the rich and famous guests, I think it's great to spread some *~*magic*~* to us common folk. :)

Have a great trip MouseinMelborne! :smooth:

But it wasn't broken glass or prescription drugs. It was crumbs. While I think a maid leaving broken glass or pills strewn all over the floor is wrong and definitely needs to be dealt with, I can't imagine the maid getting every crumb. If something had happened, God forbid, it would not have been WDW's fault. What would have happened if the child grabbed a peanut on the ground at the MK? Would that be their fault too since the trashman didn't pick it up fast enough? Of course not. I just don't see it as a valid complaint. NOT picking on the poster. Just the question. My feeling is that I would be grateful that WDW responded to me and leave it at that. Taking something for nothing just doesn't sit right with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter