There's Got To Be A Better Way - Keeping Track Of Points

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
I hate to start off the morning complaining, but there has got to be a better way to keep track of your points than what I'm doing. I have been using CaskBill's program to plan my trips and keeping the point balances in an Excel spreadsheet. This morning DW and I started talking about perhaps doing a quick weekend in January, so I started playing around with my spreadsheet to see how the points would work out and I have to say I'm totally confused. By the time I finished, I had completely messed up my spreadsheet and have no idea what points I have. Oh well, at least I kept a backup, I'll just start all over putting in this January trip.

CaskBill - Whatever happened with the option you were going to put into your program to track points? I sure could use something more than what I have now.

I set up two checking accounts in Money for each DVC contract. When my use year month comes around it is set up to automatically deposit "points" into the account. When I make a reservation, I write a check for that many points. Got the idea from Doc here.

MSMoney works well for me to track multiple accounts and Use Years - BUT - Caskbill's tracking program is currently in beta test ( and looks GREAT ) and may be available soon.
In addition, DVC reportedly is also beta testing the ability to track account information online. Hopefully, we'll have other options soon.

You might want to give Dave Fredericksons DVC Point Manager program a try. Click here to download it. It lets you track your contracts, individual trips and lets you see what different room/view combos cost in points.

Another user of Dave's contract manager program.

I use both Caskbill's and Dave's programs. I find the first more useful for "what if" planning and the second better for tracking points and transactions.

Hey WolfpackFan,

How 'bout the Pack tonight? :cheer2:

My son was Toney Baker's blocking back at Ragsdale for a couple of years (he's now a junior at State--he wasn't big enough to play D1 football and didn't want to go to a small school). I didn't go to the game, but Toney must have been amazing. Six carries for 85 yards and 3 touchdowns (all in the first quarter). I do have tickets next week for Carolina.

BTW, what is Caskbill's program? I have Dave's DVC Point Manager program and like it for keeping up with points, but a what-if program would be good too.

I manage 4 contracts in excel, whenever I "play what if", I change the font color to blue. Otherwise, completed transactions are black, borrowed points are bold red.

I also use the insert comment function to put a reminder for banking deadlines or to annotate banked points.

Each contract has two colums associated with it: a "use" column, which reflects any positive (deposit or bank) or negative (borrow or make reservation) flow of points, and column 2 is a running balance.

A nice grey bar seperates the use years, it is really easy to see what you are doing with your points....

:cool1:
For those of you who may be newer to the DISboards and are not familiar with my programs:

I currently have two programs available for download now: DVC-Planner and DVC-Chart.

DVC-Planner is a full planning program that allows you to create and print out a plan, or do what if's. For example you can put in a vacation date, and with a click of the mouse, see a chart showing how many points that vacation would be for every possible DVC resort/room combination there is. You can check your banking deadlines, view point charts, schedule multiple reservations for the same dates, etc. The main page is a color coded calendar showing relative point requirements by Disney season. You select your vacation by clicking directly on the calendar dates. The animated GIF in my signature below cycles through a few (also very tiny) screen shots of the DVC-Planner program :teacher:

DVC-Chart is mostly a DVC point chart, color coded by seasons. It uses an algorithm to calculate future years using Disney's patterns of adjusting points around the Easter and Thanksgiving holidays. It shows point charts through 2054. The algorithm was originally developed in 2001 and has been 100% accurate each succeeding year as DVC released new charts. It also shows the major holiday dates for all years through 2054, so if you want to know when Easter is in 2007, a quick click gets you there. It llets you put in your own 'family dates' that will self increment annually if you want. For example if you put in Bobby's birthdate as 10-10-2000 you can set it up to display "Bobby's 5th Birthday" this year, and it will automatically display "Bobby's 6th Birthday" next year. It also has an 'alarm' feature to let you know when you are within a selected timeframe of a special date. :rockband:

DVC-Tracker is still in development and not ready for distribution. Originally it was going to be an add-on to the DVC-Planner program, but has since developed into it's own full fledged program. Beta 1.1 is currently in test by several volunteers, and they'll be getting Beta 1.2 in a few days. If all goes well, I would hope to have a release copy ready by the end of the year. :hourglass

If interested, just go to Caskbill.Com to download either DVC-Planner and/or DVC-Chart. You can also preview 4 of the screens that are currently in DVC-Tracker to get a glimpse of what some of it looks like. :badpc:

DVC-Tracker will be the most sophisticated DVC point tracking program there is anywhere. For example, you may have several Membership Numbers, numerous Add-On's, any combination of banked/borrowed points, or even holding points or reservation points. When you want to make a reservation somewhere DVC-Tracker will present all your point choices on one screen and you can select and choose any combination you want for your reservation. The program will NOT let you choose incorrect points such as trying to use Reservation points for a DVC-Resort, or trying to use OKW points for BWV at 10-months, or trying to use points from your 2005 December Use Year for your November 2005 vacation. Since the program knows your use year month for every contract you own, it checks your vacation dates and automaticallly knows which use year's points you can use. It does all this, and much much more :moped:

It handles banking/borrowing/transfers, and keeps track of your banking percentage windows. It has an active countdown display for your next vacation check-in. It handles reservation cancellations, and automatically restores points correctly, maintaining their resort, use year and original status (banked/borrowed) or reassigns them to holding, reservation, or even forfeit depending on the date of reservation cancellation. If you sell one of your contracts it will handle that too. And if you buy a resale contract, it'll walk you through the set-up so you can get all the starting points correct such as banked, borrowed, used points, holding points, or reservation points. Did you give points back to Disney as part of a Magical Beginnings purchase. Easy. Or maybe you bought SSR and got some incentive points. Also Easy. If you want, it optionally will keep track of your financial transactions including recording all purchase or sale information, and if you want, you can keep track of your annual dues, including keeping records for the breakdown such as taxes. (It currently will not track a financed purchase for payments or interest, and does not have any type of amortization schedule, but those may be future enhancements).

You'll be able to generate a variety of reports, and even show some things graphically. Want to see a pie chart showing what percentages of all your DVC vacation days were in a Studio, 1-B/R, 2-B/R or GV? Or instead of by days, how about by points. Or how about a pie chart by Resort? That's all possible. :wizard:

Follow the link in the signature below.

Bill

Caskbill -
I just downloaded your planner last night and I think it is awesome! I cant imagine how long it took you to program, and wanted to thank you for taking the time to help all of us, especially us newbies!

CaskBill - If you need any more beta testers, I'd love to try the points tracking program out. I love the planner program, so I'm sure Tracker will be a great program.

Cruelladeville said:
Caskbill,
What about those of us who use a Mac?
The program is written using MS Visual Basic and uses the MS Jet Engine (Microsoft Access type database).

I am not able to program directly for the Mac. However, one of the beta testers has been testing it on the Mac using emulation, and so far it's working. However the beta version currently has a number of features turned off so I don't know for sure if it will still work when the final release comes out.

Here's what the Mac beta tester said:

I have successfully run DVC-Tracker Beta v1.0 and v1.1 on an Apple 1.5GHz PowerBook running OS X 10.3.9, with Virtual PC emulating Windows ME

Bill -- For your next project how about helping DVC figure out how to put real time access to our accounts and reservations on the web site :teeth:

It is very generous of you to make them freeware and availalble to everyone. I use the other two regularly. Can't wait until your tracker is ready for release :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter