The Walt Disney Family Museum

Dramatwist

M Crane
For anyone visiting Northern California, I heartily suggest a trip to The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.

You will see things there that are almost better than a visit to Walt's apartment above the firehouse at Disneyland...

You won't be disappointed.

I certainly agree with OP. But do understand, it's nothing like Disneyland. If you're expecting some theme park 'nods', they won't be found. It's purely Walt Disney and the history of his life.

I certainly agree with OP. But do understand, it's nothing like Disneyland. If you're expecting some theme park 'nods', they won't be found. It's purely Walt Disney and the history of his life.

Indeed it is. It's a history of Walt, his love of chili beans, the original Carolwood railroad train, his Oscars, the original Disneyland scale model, art, vintage Mickey Mouse retail stuff, special features, Disney movies every month... Diane Disney Miller is there very often.

How cool is that?

Oh I'm all about that : ) Disney history fascinates me. I was wondering if I were to take the California coast cruise on the Wonder, if its possible to check out the museum at port? I'll have to ask DCL.

Oh I'm all about that : ) Disney history fascinates me. I was wondering if I were to take the California coast cruise on the Wonder, if its possible to check out the museum at port? I'll have to ask DCL.

Yes! It would be quite easy to get to the museum while in port and- surprise!- its a very common destination for DCL cruisers :)

The WDFM is fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am thrilled to be a local so I can go back and see it again!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm so glad we got to visit during our cruise last September. Such a great tribute and it's a very well done and intersting museum. Lots of cool hands on stuff. No pictures allowed though.

Moving this to our California & the West board.

If your kids are in to Disney they might find it interesting. My friend and were there for a couple of hours, and could have spent more time, but my cousin went with us, who wasn't really interested, and she was done in an hour and a half. If she had have come we could easily have spent another hour there looking through everything.

Now I think I may need to trade up from the 2 day cruise to nowhere, to the 5 day so we can experience this : )

Any touring tips for a first time visitor? Going end of July. Read there is some construction around the Presidio?

We plan on going this November when we hit DL for Christmas and Monterey. Were hoping to do Walt's Apartment through the tour of Walk in Walt's Footsteps as well. Then we will have done everything we have ever dreamed except for Club 33. My wife and I are going for our anniversary!

We did this on the Cal Coast cruise this past September. There are excursions to it, but I believe they only give 2 hours in the museum. We didn't think that would be enough so we just jumped on a bus from the wharf to the presidio and did it on our own. It was much cheaper and we could stay as long as we wanted. We ended up being there about 4 hours then took the bus back and went to the Stinking Rose for lunch. Great day!

How is it for kids? My DH plans to take my 9 and 13 year olds there next month.

@IncredibleboysMom, after they've visited the museum, can you post back with how your kids liked it? We'll be in SF mid July and want to visit it, but we are concerned that our kids 6,10,13 will get bored too quickly.

@IncredibleboysMom, after they've visited the museum, can you post back with how your kids liked it? We'll be in SF mid July and want to visit it, but we are concerned that our kids 6,10,13 will get bored too quickly.

I was just at the Walt Disney Family Museum this past Sunday. The museum is really geared towards adults. There were very few adults with children in tow. Those that did have children with them were cruising through the exhibits very quickly. There is one or two interactive exhibits, but for the most part the museum is set up like a traditional museum: Stuff on the wall for you to look at. (Don't get me wrong, it's awesome stuff. The first known drawing of Mickey!)

The docent who sold us our tickets informed us that most people take about two hours to get through the museum. My husband and I were in the museum for four and half hours. I could have spent another hour there.

I was just at the Walt Disney Family Museum this past Sunday. The museum is really geared towards adults. There were very few adults with children in tow. Those that did have children with them were cruising through the exhibits very quickly. There is one or two interactive exhibits, but for the most part the museum is set up like a traditional museum: Stuff on the wall for you to look at. (Don't get me wrong, it's awesome stuff. The first known drawing of Mickey!)

The docent who sold us our tickets informed us that most people take about two hours to get through the museum. My husband and I were in the museum for four and half hours. I could have spent another hour there.

That's good info. Thanks for the input!

If your 10 and 13 year olds are interested in WALT (not just generically Disney or Disneyland though there is a fair amount of Walt Disney Studios history), they will probably enjoy it. I suspect your 6 year old will not. I am just starting to consider taking my 8yr old because she is becoming very interested in the man who created Disney.

But the museum is SO WONDERFUL. If you have any way to split up watching the 6yr old and both go I would try to make it happen.

If you have any way to split up watching the 6yr old and both go I would try to make it happen.

Thanks for the encouragement. At this point, I'll probably just say, "who cares about admission prices" and just go anyway. Even if we can only stay for an hour or two because of the kids.

This 2 week trip to CA wasn't going to be all about Disney for us, just 3 days at Disneyland. Since then, we've upped it to 4 days. Then received some unexpected vacation funds and decided to upgrade from HOJO to Disneyland Hotel. We are planning to visit Walt's Barn in Griffith Park (on the way in from Yosemite), they happen to be open on the Sunday we arrive in Anaheim. We may stop at Walt's grave too. The closer we get, the more of the Disney bug we get, so at this point, it's going to be hard to pass up on the Family Museum :cool1:

On a similar note, we really wanted to visit the Lasseter Family Winery in Sonoma, but unfortunately, they don't allow kids at this time. But we do plan to go get ice cream at Fenton's in honor of the Up movie
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/06/23/up-in-oakland-at-fentons-creamery/

On a similar note, we really wanted to visit the Lasseter Family Winery in Sonoma, but unfortunately, they don't allow kids at this time. But we do plan to go get ice cream at Fenton's in honor of the Up movie
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/06/23/up-in-oakland-at-fentons-creamery/

As someone who grew up going to Fentons from the age of 4, I'd point out that the depiction in the movie isn't quite like the real thing, but you probably already knew that. Piedmont ave is a commercial drag in an otherwise residential neighborhood. It of course doesn't look like a standalone building with nothing else around it.

I recall when the ice cream itself was somewhat average, but the appeal was in the prices and the sheer quantity. It's actually gotten better since the place burned and was rebuilt. The night manager felt slighted about not getting a bonus or raise, stole some equipment, and torched the place. It looks kind of fancy now. I remember when it seemed old and for whatever reason was just right. My favorite sundae (the parfait) is no longer on the menu, but I'm thinking of maybe asking if anyone knows how to make one. Now the one thing that absolutely hasn't changed is the butter brickle.

There's also the new location in Vacaville, which isn't too bad a detour if one is already heading for the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter