The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I have a GCV check-in in coming up on Aug 15th for a 2-bedroom. Is the online check-in like WDW? Any suggestions on preferences or tips? TIA
Its pretty much the same! I still contact MS (by chat) to make my requests though. And anecdotally, going early to the front desk (much less crowded now) seems to lead to better results.

Last edited:
If I wanted park view or the side that faces grizzly river....do I just request that? Or are those side views called something else?
We asked for a park view room and got that view on our first trip. Wasn't exactly what we wanted, but it was a nice peaceful view. Plus we could see fireworks from our balcony with minimal lean out (looking left). View was mostly of trees and some kids having fun in DCA on the trail.

Our first park say is June 18th so looks like we're in the clear. Woohoo! Maybe I'll request park view after all.

If I wanted park view or the side that faces grizzly river....do I just request that? Or are those side views called something else?
I've put a specific couple of room requests in for each of my last 2 trips, with park view as my backup request. We got one of the specific rooms on one and a so-so park view on the other, so I'd suggest looking at the map and picking a few rooms to request. Also high floor is generally a good idea due to all the trees... Hard to see much below the 4th or 5th floor.

I think about this every visit - could we ask at an annual meeting for them to consider periodic trimming/thining?
You certainly can ask. I would suggest writing an email to DVC leadership over traveling to Orlando in hopes of being one of the 4-5 people selected to ask a question at an annual meeting.

I will see if I can find a good way to contact them. The annual meeting for VGC is in Anaheim.
I do know some people love the wooded feel so actually enjoy the tree view but um... they can request a lower floor if that's their goal - tee hee. I'd love for floors 3+ at least to be a clear view of theme park on that side. I wonder what percentage of people prefer tree view to theme park.

For those coming in this weekend, never thought I’d be typing this but there is a hurricane heading up Mexico with some residual hitting the Southern California area. Anaheim is looking at over 2 inches of rain starting Saturday afternoon through Monday. Be careful out there!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/live-blog/hurricane-hilary-live-updates-rcna100563
Our bucket list trip... flying into LAX Sunday evening with a 2 Br at GCV for 6 nights. Really hoping our flight isn't cancelled! We could all stay another day if we our flight got moved a day but I seriously doubt we could add on a night at GCV.

Thanks so much everyone! Our flight landed during the peak tropical storm wind without any problems and my groceries arrived without a hitch. We have all fallen in love with GCV. We have stayed at every WDW DVC resort and this one is one of the very best so far!

Thanks so much everyone! Our flight landed during the peak tropical storm wind without any problems and my groceries arrived without a hitch. We have all fallen in love with GCV. We have stayed at every WDW DVC resort and this one is one of the very best so far!
How was it in the park during the storm? Lots and lots of rain?

Hi all,

If I'm staying at the Grand Californian on points, is the parking (across the street, as I recall?) free all day for both the day of check-in and the day of check-out? I guess I'm wondering if I can use the parking from the early morning of my check-in day even if I haven't gotten my room yet. Thanks!

Hi all,

If I'm staying at the Grand Californian on points, is the parking (across the street, as I recall?) free all day for both the day of check-in and the day of check-out? I guess I'm wondering if I can use the parking from the early morning of my check-in day even if I haven't gotten my room yet. Thanks!

Yes, you may. We always check in early (like 8-9 AM) and head to the parks. We valet because it is the self pay cost with a handicap placard and when staying on points, it becomes free. But it has never been brought up that we cannot park early in the self park if we decided to do that. Our last day, we typically check out in the AM and then go to the parks until mid to late afternoon before getting the car and heading out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter