The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

So any VGC owners get a favorable answer on expiring points besides go to WDW resorts? With a fresh do-not-travel order in effect, both our VGC stay and Aulani stay are off - and expiring in end Feb.

A whole year of points unable to use at home resort - there needs to be some recourse of those who banked 2018 :(

29 of my VGC points are expiring at the end of January, when I called member services they wouldn't extend them.

So any VGC owners get a favorable answer on expiring points besides go to WDW resorts? With a fresh do-not-travel order in effect, both our VGC stay and Aulani stay are off - and expiring in end Feb.

A whole year of points unable to use at home resort - there needs to be some recourse of those who banked 2018 :(

If you look at the boards for WDW, the only recourse people got for 2018 banked points were 3-4 months of extra use and that's because DVC used their developer points for it. That's why many people recommend not waiting until past the banking deadline to use your points, etc.

So hard decision to make, wonder what y'all would do.

I have a Feb gcv reservation for a dedicated 2 bedroom for two nights. My points expire the end of February. I'm currently at wdw resort hopping, and if I cancel my GCV reservation I can upgrade one of my two poly nights to a bungalow. Should I do it?

Pros:
- one of the best rooms on property
- garuntee ALL my points get used

Cons:
- give up gcv which is already hard to get
- have to change rooms after 1 day (granted bungalows are never full, and I could bet on early check-in)

my wife and I have also debated taking a weekend trip in February to wdw if gcv gets cancelled, or just renting them out last minute

I have a Feb gcv reservation for a dedicated 2 bedroom for two nights. My points expire the end of February. I'm currently at wdw resort hopping, and if I cancel my GCV reservation I can upgrade one of my two poly nights to a bungalow. Should I do it?

Pros:

Cons:
- have to change rooms after 1 day (granted bungalows are never full, and I could bet on early check-in)

my wife and I have also debated taking a weekend trip in February to wdw if gcv gets cancelled, or just renting them out last minute
I would go ahead and cancel and use them now. At least make sure they get used up and try a cool new room! I’ve already moved my GC trip 3 times. Haven’t been able to use them there yet since we bought in to GCV. Enjoy your trip!

Pros:

Cons:

I think it's unlikely GCV will open before the Spring.

Pros:

Cons:

I'd say there's virtually no chance it will be open so I'd just figure out how you want to use the points - upgrade now or take another short trip to WDW before they expire.

Well apparently poly bungalows arent open despite showing availability, so I went ahead and booked a copper creek cabin the very last night of our trip, using all our points up. Thanks for the suggestions. It sucks to give up gcv but letting points expire when I could've used them would've been worse.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked several times, but a quick search of this thread didn't bring it up. We have a reservation at GCV for mid-January, which I assume will be cancelled. The points we used are banked 2019 points from a June use year contract. If the reservation is cancelled, do the points still expire at the end of June, or do they get extended?

Trying to figure out our options, with a Florida trip out of the question until 2022. Thanks!!

I apologize in advance if this has been asked several times, but a quick search of this thread didn't bring it up. We have a reservation at GCV for mid-January, which I assume will be cancelled. The points we used are banked 2019 points from a June use year contract. If the reservation is cancelled, do the points still expire at the end of June, or do they get extended?

Trying to figure out our options, with a Florida trip out of the question until 2022. Thanks!!

Nothing about extensions has been announced.

In your shoes I'd make a reservation for April or May for the VGC, or try to rent out those points if you can't use them for Florida.

I have banked 2019 points that expire at the end of January. When I called I was told they would not be extended. Which is frustrating as there is virtually no way for me to use them now.

I have banked 2019 points that expire at the end of January. When I called I was told they would not be extended. Which is frustrating as there is virtually no way for me to use them now.
Have you thought about renting them out yourself?? It's not the best solution, but it's better than nothing.

Write in to Terri Schultz.
Terri.A.Schultz@disney.com

I just did that. Expiring points from March UY -- entire year unable to use at home resort and West coasters have had limited options. Very small window with Aul in Oct-Nov then closed with governor's donottravel order in dec.

s/w MS today - still no offers to extend like Aul did. Aul is capable since Disney owns a lot of points still. It doesn't for VGC. BUT, they do have a huge hotel that they can work out with usage that way to make it right.

An entire year of closure an inability to use points at home resort does not go well -- extension or accommodation to GC hotel in Spring/Summer would be an appropriate accommodation.

Have you thought about renting them out yourself?? It's not the best solution, but it's better than nothing.

It's only 29 points, so it seemed like it would be difficult to rent. Also I had wanted to use them to take a trip to GCV, and back in March I assumed Disneyland would reopen before January. But that never happened. I just don't see much luck in renting them at this point.

Call and have your situation sent up the chain as we have a few reports here for people who have been given extensions of points above and beyond what is published.

IMO, VGC owners have the best case for wanting some relief.

Terri responded already and said to stand by as they are working on some options. She did NOT specify on it, but did say they are finalizing things.

We have UY March so a few more months, but the RCI cutoff is 1/15th. Really would hate to put DVC points into RCI.

They don't have the same luxury as Aulani cause Disney doesn't own any DVC points so can't really extend in the traditional way.

Personally offered up issuing vouchers for GC for first 6 months of reopening. 30 points = 1 night GC stay -- that'll keep inventory balanced.

If they phase open VGC first, they can extend into GC rooms on the same wing with minimal effort and expand inventory for 'hotel rooms' which would essentially be studios to create capacity.

Update - Terri's team reached out to us and they found accommodations for us -- extending a few months to get a WDW trip scheduled in the spring. Everyone needs to be creative as VGC is small yet sold out and closed for any foreseeable future.

We're happy that they provided this option and level of response during these times. It is what makes Disney, Disney.

I just called and worked out my points. We had two reservations canceled by Disney after the banking date. 2020 points were rolled into 2021 immediately, 2019 points will be banked on our anniv date which is Feb 1 and must be used before May 31. We only had 9 points from 2019 so not a big deal, might go to Aulani. Based on previous discussions with dis staff you are better off if they cancel the room if it is after your banking date.

Are 1-bedrooms at VGC always wide open during the summer? I was doing a cursory check and saw pretty much all of July open. I realize 52 points a night is a lot, but didn't think there would be that much availability.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter