The trip that almost isn't. Or, how I'm hoping to not go to WDW

dayvewc

DIS Veteran
I love travel. I love vacation. I start planning my next trip before I leave on my last trip.

This is the saga of my (nearly) two week escapade to Universal Studios, Isle of Adventure, and SeaWorld, three weeks after becoming incapacitated with pain from a pinched nerve.

Final shopping for travel goodies is today, I leave out early tomorrow, so the first posts will be the backstory that gets us to this point.

Coming soon!!

:welcome: to the ride!!

Ok, the backstory.

I have serious problems saying "No" to sales people. As a result, I am the proud (?) owner of several timeshare contracts. It actually works well for me, because as I stated previously, I enjoy taking vacation and having the timeshares allows me to go more often than I could possible afford if I had to pay the full rate for accommodations (not to mention that by now I am spoiled and hotel rooms just don't have enough room in which for me to sprawl).

So, back in February, I looked at my summer schedule (I am tied to the school calendar) and opted to not work the summer position that I have done for the past 10 years but instead to take my summer trip early in June rather than late in July. Hoping for slightly less hot weather and hopefully before everyone else gets down to Orlando.

In consideration of the Pandora expansion at AK, the remodeling of Norway into Arendell at EP (among other rumors floating at the time of possible closures), and the anticipated (rumored) closure of sections of HS for other remodels and expansions, I decided to focus this trip on the parks of Universal and SeaWorld. Especially considering that in all my trips to the Orlando area I had never gone to US or IoA, though I did visit SeaWorld once many years ago.

With the aforementioned ideas swirling in my head, I made arrangements for 10 nights at the WorldMark Kingstown Reef Resort near the SeaWorld complex and relatively close to the parks of US - at least according to the images on Google maps.

Over the next couple of months, I evaluated and bought tickets for the parks (direct from SeaWorld with a 2-year premium pass) from UnderCoverTourist, with the intent of upgrading to the premium annual pass once inside Universal Studios. Thinking being, between the 10 available days in the parks this trip, and if I go back next spring break for 7 days, not to mention my annual summer trips (for SW) the tickets would approach a per day cost that is well within my acceptable range. Doing this, though, does shift my focus away from WDW, which with the announced/ongoing/anticipated closures is an acceptable trade-off for me over the next 12-18 months.

Everything was going according to plan, when on the morning of May 12 I suffered a seizure/spasm in the lower left quadrant of my back. Having had similar though temporary pains, I was not initially worried until it persisted day after day after day. After 9 days of incredible and debilitating pain - to the point that I became dependent on my roommates to successfully get dressed each morning - I eventually contacted both a chiropractor and my regular doctor in search of some kind of relief.

After evaluation at the chiropractor, the diagnosis was given to me of a level 3 (out of 4) spinal misalignment, with a prognosis of "possible". Treatment began immediately, with intent to continue daily therapy sessions for at least 4 weeks, easing to alternate days of therapy for another couple of weeks, finally ending with once weekly therapy sessions for another month (which would put the last week of daily treatments being during my first week of vacation).

The regular MD did a cursory exam, and prescribed a muscle relaxant and mild pain killer.

A week later, having achieved some small improvements - to the point that I could walk almost completely upright, but only with the use of a walker and only for extremely limited time frames, the chiropractor allowed that if improvements continued at the current rate he did not foresee any insurmountable issues with me going on vacation - provided I took it easy, took it slow, and didn't push too hard.

The regular MD provided a prescription for hydrocodone as the mild pain killer initially prescribed did not noticeably dull the pain I was in. He also provided a referral to an orthopedic clinic.

Two weeks later, and I can now walk short distances unassisted, though for anything over about 50 feet I still need a cane at a minimum and will suffer another onset of incredible pain. I have also seen the orthopedic - who also did a very cursory exam, though he did take x-rays, and who provided a diagnosis of swollen disks both above and below my L-5 vertebrae with a recommendation for two weeks of physical therapy before coming back for a follow-up. None of the doctors have prohibited me from taking vacation, though all have (to varying degrees) suggested I take it easy, go slow, and don't push too hard.

Now, the day before I leave, I have broken with past plans and made hotel reservations along the route. Instead of driving straight through overnight, I will leave early morning and stop after about a 12 hour car ride, continuing on for the last 5-6 hours the next day. Additionally, and in keeping with past plans, I also have an ECV reserved to be dropped at my resort sometime on my check-in day. Finally, though this was initially planned to be a solo trip, I have agreed with my roommate that he will be of sufficient assistance that he may accompany me on this trip.

And, that is where things stand a mere 17 hours before the anchor is lifted (metaphorically speaking) and my summer trip to the other place begins.

Well, 9 1/2 hours into travel day 1 and I must say that in handling the ride better than I expected, but not as well as I'd hoped. Sitting stationary for hours at a time is causing some knee and back pain but it's tolerable.

As a side note, I do have my travel notice flying ... ;-)

20150607_132606.jpg

OK. I'm beginning to think the universe hates me.

After I got checked in to my hotel I went to fill the car with gas and eat dinner. Came or to discover I had a flat tire. Did you know you can't get a tire at 10 pm? Not a great way to end the first day.

OK. I'm beginning to think the universe hates me.

After I got checked in to my hotel I went to fill the car with gas and eat dinner. Came or to discover I had a flat tire. Did you know you can't get a tire at 10 pm? Not a great way to end the first day.

Oh no Dayv! Is this at a roadside hotel or your timeshare? Do you have AAA?

Oh no Dayv! Is this at a roadside hotel or your timeshare? Do you have AAA?

I'm at a chain hotel. Though when I found the flat I was 5 miles away at a Taco Bell. I do have AAA, which helped, but I was less impressed with their service last night and this morning than normal.

Actually this is why I have AAA. I got my car towed back to the hotel last night and I'm waiting for another tow truck to take me to Walmart this morning to get a new tire. Looking at the flat I can see where the tread separated so pretty sure I'll need a new tire. Good thing I have a small emergency fund. :-)

And $200 later, I have a new tire and a very nice emergency kit. It has a rechargeable battery that will provide a jump start to the car, a built in compressor to inflate tires, and multiple electric and car plugs to power stuff as needed.

And $200 later, I have a new tire and a very nice emergency kit. It has a rechargeable battery that will provide a jump start to the car, a built in compressor to inflate tires, and multiple electric and car plugs to power stuff as needed.

I'm glad to hear this!! Now get to the fun place to do the fun things!!!

OK. I have checked in at the resort, gone grocery shopping, unpacked all my stuff, and even done some laundry. About to head out to DTD and just hang out a bit before bed time.

OK. I have checked in at the resort, gone grocery shopping, unpacked all my stuff, and even done some laundry. About to head out to DTD and just hang out a bit before bed time.

Well this has been a productive day!! What fun stuff did you do at DTD? How was parking?

Well this has been a productive day!! What fun stuff did you do at DTD? How was parking?

Did not really do anything at DTD. Driving in, there was a lot of construction mess on the road, so we took the first lot and there was lots of parking available. I have never seen so many open spots at DTD before.

There were lots and lots of construction walls up in the walkways of DTD, so it seemed super majorly crowded trying to go anywhere. So, we just went from the parking near Cirque all the way down to the Christmas shoppe and then back. They did add a walkway across the lake over to Rainforest Cafe, so that far end is now a "loop".

But, today is day 1 at Universal, so I am heading out.

Did not really do anything at DTD. Driving in, there was a lot of construction mess on the road, so we took the first lot and there was lots of parking available. I have never seen so many open spots at DTD before.

There were lots and lots of construction walls up in the walkways of DTD, so it seemed super majorly crowded trying to go anywhere. So, we just went from the parking near Cirque all the way down to the Christmas shoppe and then back. They did add a walkway across the lake over to Rainforest Cafe, so that far end is now a "loop".

But, today is day 1 at Universal, so I am heading out.

Empty parking spots seems very exciting to me at DTD!

I hope you're having a great time at Universal today

I'm so jealous I am in the middle of finals and you aren't!! Can't wait to for the kids to be done so I can grade and be done

OK, a little bit of catching up.

Tuesday was the first "fun" day. Went to Universal for park open. Got there a bit before 9 am, and got in the park just fine. Actually wound up in Isle of Adventure by mistake. Kind of meandered my way through a bit, taking a moment here and there to enjoy a few attractions - Spiderman, Jurassic Park River Adventure, wandered around Hogsmeade, took the Hogwarts Express from Hogsmeade to London, and then rode Revenge of the Mummy.

At that point, was starting to hurt a bit - had to try to walk too much to get on Spiderman and it finally caught up to me. So, back to the resort, took some anti-inflammatory meds and a brief nap then headed out for the last couple of hours at SeaWorld

Got there about 4 with a close at 7 pm. Collected a couple of their digital badges, saw Blue Horizons Dolphin show and then meandered around until time for One Ocean, the Shamu show. It got about half way through the show (based on the start time and published show length) when it stopped and they said it was paused due to weather conditions. So, I left the show and moved as fast as possible toward the parking lot to try avoid getting rained on. Back to the resort and that was the first day.

Today, Wednesday, day 2 of fun saw me back at Universal for opening. Went to ride Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, and the team member let me in, but also suggested I go back to guest services to inquire about a disability accommodation since I was having visible issues in getting around. Did that, but only used it once the rest of the day. Works similar to the WDW DAS, if you are familiar with that program.

After that, I headed over and rode the Rip Ride Rockit - really fun ride, but I doubt I'll ride it again. The seats were, um, quite uncomfortable. As this is a family web-site, let me just say that it could just as accurately be named after a Christmas Ballet written by Tchaikovsky. It was kind of amusing, though. I was sent to avoid the stairs, but missed the elevator and almost exited the ride. Had to find a Team Member to help me find the elevator to get up to the alternate entry. I'm not blind, but occasionally I miss the obvious.

From there, went down to ride Transformers, then Disaster, followed by Escape from Gringotts. Definitely worth the wait for it. Did some roaming around Diagon Alley, then caught the Hogwarts Express from London to Hogsmeade where I tried to get a late lunch (it was about 1 pm) before heading down to watch Poseidon's Fury. Good show, I was a bit impressed, but maybe not quite "all that".

Afterwards, I wandered into Seuss Landing, and had just started exploring when some really black clouds started moving in, so I high-tailed it to parking, and almost made it before a gully-washer opened up. So, came back to the resort, had my late lunch, a short nap, then headed to Target to pick up a few more things I need for the next several days, and to finally update my TR.

I hope I'm not too boring with my list of what I did. But, tomorrow is a planned SeaWorld day. Hoping to be there at park open and catch most (if not all) of the shows and rides.

How are the crowd levels? Sounds like you're getting to do a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter