• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The September 2017 Post Hurricane Trip Report pics added

Thanks everybody,

I'll post what I find out. Staying outside of Nashville tonight.

Tripleb,
That's a little discouraging. I think the tell will be if Chris (PA Hunter) gets the same email we did about the Fort being closed.

j

Last edited:

Looking forward to hearing the experience of those that will be going down this week and beginning of next. Crossing my fingers that by next Sat we know a little more, or with a bit of pixie dust, it's opened. Never a dull moment!!!

Looking forward to hearing the experience of those that will be going down this week and beginning of next. Crossing my fingers that by next Sat we know a little more, or with a bit of pixie dust, it's opened.
Sarubo,
I plan on heading over Saturday morning from our temporary campsite in Kissimmee. I will let you know what I find out.

j

Ok Folks,

Just got this Email and it doesn't sound good:

September 2017

Dear Bennett Family,

We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.

If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.

Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.

Sincerely,

Disney Destinations, LLC

Arrival Date: 9/18/2017

I understand the concern for safety from Disney- I really do- but this just really feels like there's a lot of people being strung along unfairly... if the campground is in as bad of shape as it seems by this continued delay, why aren't they getting people in there to fix it? And I'm sure they are, but I guess I'm used to if a job needs to be done, you set a goal- a target date- and you GET IT DONE! I know if I were supposed to have checked in Monday, we would've already been well on the way by today. If I then got an email saying that basically I just wasted not only my long planned for vacation at the Fort, but also a whole bunch of money on fuel just trying to get our camper there, not to mention our other 3 family members who are flying in to join us( who probably can't get a refund for their flight at this point)- well- I'd be furious and that's putting it mildly.

I'm sorry for venting, and maybe I'm not being fair in my outlook- I guess I just feel like this has started to seem like the campers are 2nd class citizens and that we're fine with whatever Disney tells us. It just doesn't seem fair. :guilty:

Sereniygr I agree with you, I understand the hurricane wasn't their fault but they knew it was coming and at this point they should have a more definitive answer on when they'll be up and running again. I understand it can take time, but they should KNOW how much time at this point and they are not giving campers enough warning imo

After talking with a CM, she could not give a definitive date for the re-opening of the Fort. Other than MAYBE sometime next week.

So, after a lengthy discussion with the CM, we decided to cancel our trip. A full refund will be posted to our CC. We will try again some other time. Sorry I had to miss all the fun with the campers that might be able to wait it out.

Another thought comes to mind... even if Disney is refunding campers- what about all the other plans campers have made and invested money in? For us- 9 people- ( three of which have airline tickets purchased) we have universal tickets, legoland tickets, gator land tickets....I doubt any of those places will now refund money just because Disney can't get the Fort fixed 1-2 weeks after Irma.... that's a huge chunk of money for us- ugh.... just ugh...

I agree. The worst part of this is being left in limbo. And lack of communication.

Last edited:
We're supposed to arrive on the 23rd so just to see what would happen I did the online check in a few minutes ago (I rarely do the online checkin thing, just wait til I get there). Everything went as expected so I hope that's a good sign. I also got the usual welcome email a couple of days ago so crossing fingers (toes, eyes...) that we'll have a site.

Yep- exactly! I think deep down I actually have this feeling that they aren't doing enough for "my Fort "- she deserves to be beautiful and I feel like they're just letting her down... I know that's not true, but I imagine a lot of us have some pretty strong emotions about this place so many of us call "home"

We're supposed to arrive on the 23rd so just to see what would happen I did the online check in a few minutes ago (I rarely do the online checkin thing, just wait til I get there). Everything went as expected so I hope that's a good sign. I also got the usual welcome email a couple of days ago so crossing fingers (toes, eyes...) that we'll have a site.
That's our check-in day as well! I'm keeping everything crossed here as well.

Question for those that have talked to a CM and made other arrangements. Does Disney comp your hotel stay or are you responsible for it? What options, if any, did they give you when you talked to them? I really can't cancel this trip so I need to find accommodations come hell or high water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter