The Sean incident on the show today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the video yesterday too and felt the heat in my cheeks as Sean started to go through the tale of events.

What's interesting is that prior to that Pete started to talk about how the members of the show are now often recognized where they go. It would be interesting if through the "game of telephone" it gets back to management at that resort especially given that Sean is such a valued agent.

I hope this doesn't mar the experience for HDD as well. I have heard so many of the Dreams Unlimited members speak so highly of it and we are planning to go in April.

Its sad that people are considering canceling a visit to HDD because of this incident. Not to diminish Sean's terrible experience, but really this was a very out of the ordinary occurrence. It has no bearing on the very enjoyable food and show itself. I would happily go to a HDD show and seriously doubt that I'd encounter anything like this.

Not sure how out of the ordinary it was with Pete saying he’s heard similar stories about security there from other guests.

I'm shocked by this whole episode. I'm feeling bad for Sean and family. I think what I would've done was asked a server to grab the HDD manager. I wouldn't have left my table until I talked to someone at the show itself. I think that security guy was literally picking on that one family.

I was appalled at the behavior of security and management and how rapidly things escalated. My dad passed away a few months ago and I get how this would have added to the hurt given the circumstances. Just shameful Sean and his family, or any family for that matter, would be treated like this.

Its sad that people are considering canceling a visit to HDD because of this incident. Not to diminish Sean's terrible experience, but really this was a very out of the ordinary occurrence. It has no bearing on the very enjoyable food and show itself. I would happily go to a HDD show and seriously doubt that I'd encounter anything like this.

If anyone's worried then start taping on your cell for video proof.

Wonder why the guard sticks around? Unable to find replacements? I can't really see this being a union thing can it be? I know sometimes it comes up with teachers or factory workers but CMs have to get let go all the time unlike those other professions.

Just curious if anyone has seen anything on social media over this (not disboards, but twitter or something). Wondering if this is something that will get legs

I think how the incident devolved is terrible and clearly there were a few shockingly aggressive CMs involved, but am I the only person who kept thinking during this 30-minute-long tale that it could have all been easily avoided if Sean and his family just stepped outside when originally asked? It actually wouldn't have been that big of an issue. When they go low, you go high, right? There's benches, restrooms, and places to hang out in front of the venue. The Wi-Fi still works. Sure, it sucks to feel rushed, especially because HDD is an expensive experience and it was Christmas Eve, but Sean and his family would have endured far less agony if he'd simply bitten his tongue (and clenched his middle finger) then later reported the rude CM to the appropriate channels.
Sean mentioned in the video that they hadn't even finished eating their desserts and also that his brother had asked them to wait for him and also that the cast would be taking photos after the show. Since his brother was performing, I can understand Sean's frustration in being to asked to leave so early. Especially when the cast members in the past had always come out to meet people and pose for photos. If it were me, I would have felt like I was being rushed out too quickly too (and had the Security Guard even stopped to listen, all of this could have been avoided).

The Security Guards had no reason to go so over the top with this, it was beyond ridiculous that he had them lie to him (about who was in charge) multiple workers threaten him, threaten his brother's job, accuse him of stealing, try to take his phone and then at the end of it all, lie to him again and try to be all nice. I mean, it's not like Sean started a fight, or was throwing things at the cast members, he asked why he was being rushed out the door before he had finished eating and started filming things for his own safety. I think if it wasn't Sean, this Security Guard would have tried to find someone else to harass, as it seemed like he just wanted a power trip.

seconding some of the recent comments. i can't get over the fact that they ran with the "now you're going to unlock your phone and give it to me" garbage. that is total nonsense, Pete did a great job calling that out and mentioning that even the cops can't do that without going through the proper channels first.

security guard is 100% at fault also because he followed them out of the place to continue the confrontation. he got what he wanted - they left, albeit with a finger in the air - and he ran outside because he wanted more. he can absolutely get fired for that. this is disney world not a nightclub, this is not a place to seek conflict with guests.

I'm curious , is there a time stamp on when the guard called for the next higher up? So show ends at X time, was it ten mins past X that supervisor was already being called??? Sean said his mom was trying to sent him a photo. Again it there a time linked with that? Just looking for how quickly this all happened.

I watched this last night, so I've slept on it. I'm even angrier that someone at a DISNEY RESORT asked someone to unlock and hand over their cell phone.

WHAT THE &*%$???

Disney police state.

That is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

It could have been worse. Could have been that "guy behind the castle" security guard that was trying to diddle teenage girls....

Last edited:
I think how the incident devolved is terrible and clearly there were a few shockingly aggressive CMs involved, but am I the only person who kept thinking during this 30-minute-long tale that it could have all been easily avoided if Sean and his family just stepped outside when originally asked? It actually wouldn't have been that big of an issue. When they go low, you go high, right? There's benches, restrooms, and places to hang out in front of the venue. The Wi-Fi still works. Sure, it sucks to feel rushed, especially because HDD is an expensive experience and it was Christmas Eve, but Sean and his family would have endured far less agony if he'd simply bitten his tongue (and clenched his middle finger) then later reported the rude CM to the appropriate channels.

Should you really be forced to leave minutes after the show ended? Also, he was just trying to finish something up on his phone and was planning on leaving right after. Plus he said there were still lots of guests still in there. It almost feels like the "security" guard went out of his way to target that specific table. Haven't you finished up at a restaurant and lingered a few extra minutes at the table to finish a conversation? I use to be server/bartender and I've had people sit at one of my tables for an hour after they were finished just talking. Although annoying because I probably would have been able to have another table in and out in that amount of time. I never rushed them or treated them like garbage.

I understand it's Christmas Eve and he probably wanted to get home, but here's the thing he willingly works at WDW and it's not exactly a secret that they're open for all holidays. If you don't want to work on Christmas Eve then find a security job at a local shopping center or mall. Lastly, we assume he was rushing them out of there so he could get home sooner and due to his actions he was probably there even longer than he would have been had he just given Sean's family a few extra minutes.

Although I probably would have gone the route you suggested because I simply don't like confrontation, but I think Sean is absolutely in the right here and showed restraint. Like Pete said many from the area he's from and NY and Philly (where I'm from) the security guard is lucky all he got was flipped off...

Should you really be forced to leave minutes after the show ended? Also, he was just trying to finish something up on his phone and was planning on leaving right after. Plus he said there were still lots of guests still in there. It almost feels like the "security" guard went out of his way to target that specific table. Haven't you finished up at a restaurant and lingered a few extra minutes at the table to finish a conversation? I use to be server/bartender and I've had people sit at one of my tables for an hour after they were finished just talking. Although annoying because I probably would have been able to have another table in and out in that amount of time. I never rushed them or treated them like garbage.

I understand it's Christmas Eve and he probably wanted to get home, but here's the thing he willingly works at WDW and it's not exactly a secret that they're open for all holidays. If you don't want to work on Christmas Eve then find a security job at a local shopping center or mall. Lastly, we assume he was rushing them out of there so he could get home sooner and due to his actions he was probably there even longer than he would have been had he just given Sean's family a few extra minutes.

Although I probably would have gone the route you suggested because I simply don't like confrontation, but I think Sean is absolutely in the right here and showed restraint. Like Pete said many from the area he's from and NY and Philly (where I'm from) the security guard is lucky all he got was flipped off...
I completely agree with this statement. I also would have just left. I would also have probably sent an email complaining about the incident. Sean should not have flipped the guy off, but the fact remains that the security guard got his objective met. Sean was leaving without yelling or any physical contact. The security guard is supposed to be a professional at his job. The security guard should not have to put up with a tirade of verbal abuse, threats or physical confrontation, but a little back talk and throwing the bird? The security guard should have let it go.

I was appalled at the behavior of security and management and how rapidly things escalated. My dad passed away a few months ago and I get how this would have added to the hurt given the circumstances. Just shameful Sean and his family, or any family for that matter, would be treated like this.
@smokeyblue - May I extend my condolences on the loss of your Dad to you, and all those close to you. And may you all find comfort in your loving memories in the near future. Hugs.

Several comments here made me think about something - the fact it was Christmas Eve. I know, int the past, when it was a holiday where I worked (when I worked for a law enforcement agency) it may (or may not, admittedly) have been part of a Union contract to get overtime, or "holiday pay" for working a "holiday". Again - Christmas Eve may, or may not, be considered a holiday. I can say that I knew LOTS of people who VOLUNTEERED to work on a holiday, due to the extra pay, or maybe floating/extra day off, according to their particular contract (if a contract/Union was involved).

When I was in the Navy, there was, of course, no contract or Union involved. But when I decided to stay on base, instead of going thousands of miles away where family was at the time, or if I had no plans in the area with friends, I would VOLUNTEER to work holidays, so that those with families in the area could spend the days with them, or travel home on leave, or whatever. Same when I worked with the law enforcement agency. If I had no plans, why not do my co-workers a solid? And since I had made that choice, I "bucked up", and made peace withe fact I was going to be working on a holiday. It's simply a re-framing of things in your mind, and you make a CHOICE to do so, as a rational adult. There are MANY professions that see personnel who MUST work on a "holiday". Big deal. And personnel involved KNOW this, when they accept the job.

Don't know if the security guard, or others involved in "the Sean incident" VOLUNTEERED to work Christmas Eve, or if it was a holiday or not, but at the very least, I'm quite they knew in advance they HAD to work that night, and it's your job - you get paid to do it to the best of your ability, no matter the day. And you also should have, obviously, known that holiday work could be involved That also means - can the attitude, regardless of the day of the year. Period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter