The Running Thread--2024

ATTQOTD a little late:

I have 1200-something songs in my running playlist, plus a variety of themed other running playlists. I have eclectic taste and loooove music!

My last run with music was an ode the the SW races, may they RIP, with my Dark Side playlist on shuffle:
1. Medley: Star Wars (12” Version) - Meco
2. Bai Tee Tee (feat. Gubz ) - Junee Veech
3. Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
4. Yocola Ateema - Fytee & The Sleemos
5. Star Wars (Main Theme) - John Williams & the London Symphony Orchestra

The run before that was with my generic playlist on shuffle:
1. The One Thing - INXS
2. Take It - Dom Dolla
3. Two Tribes - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
4. Fame - David Bowie
5. Full Moon - Petit Biscuit

ATTQOTD - also a bit late.

Yesterday was interval training and I just through on my Apple Music favorites playlist - always interesting to see what turn up in there. My last 5:

People - The 1975
Aberdeen - Cage the Elephant
Talking to Ourselves - Rise Against
She’s out of her mind - Blink-182
Dark Saturday - Metric

I am leaning toward the Garmin Forerunner 965. Does anybody own this watch? If so, can I please get a frank opinion. Also, would anyone recommend a Coros over the Garmin FR?
I have the 955, the model before the 965, and I love it. Lightweight, long battery life, and has almost every sport or activity imaginable. You can’t go wrong with the 965 especially since it has a much better screen. Good review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/03/garmin-forerunner-965-in-depth-review.html

ATTQOY(esterday)

I have a 'Mile 22' playlist that I made for the Blizzard Beach parking lot, with the (successful!) goal if making it my fastest mile of the marathon.

• He's a Pirate, Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack
  • Animal Spirits, Vulfpeck
  • Chelsea Dagger, The Fratellis
  • Brianstorm, Arctic Monkeys
  • Dig a Little Deeper, Princess and the Frog soundtrack
ETA: There's a ton of variety on everybody's playlists, but it looks like Beastie Boys are the most common artist represented. Who would've thought?

Last edited:
Garmin issues: coincidentally I started spiraling last night when I decided to look at my garmin's stamina scores and saw that I only had 25% stamina left after running 16 miles, 50% after running 9 miles etc - I need to run a marathon in less than a week! 😫 I don't usually look at these types of metrics (body battery etc) but I saw a post saying garmin's stamina was pretty on the dot and now I'm freaking out.

My Epix does the stamina calculation, too, but I honestly haven't been watching it that much. Maybe that's a good thing?

But you have to take all of those with a grain of salt. If Garmin's Body Battery was correct for me, I'd be dead long ago because I'd be at zero - I figure that's the reason they don't let it go below 5 because people would freak out. But I've done way more on a Body Battery of 5 than one might expect if that was taken seriously. (And I've not been having the Body Battery problem @nancipants is having.)

Don't sweat it! You'll do great!

My Epix does the stamina calculation, too, but I honestly haven't been watching it that much. Maybe that's a good thing?

But you have to take all of those with a grain of salt. If Garmin's Body Battery was correct for me, I'd be dead long ago because I'd be at zero - I figure that's the reason they don't let it go below 5 because people would freak out. But I've done way more on a Body Battery of 5 than one might expect if that was taken seriously. (And I've not been having the Body Battery problem @nancipants is having.)

Don't sweat it! You'll do great!
I don’t put much stock in the “Body Battery” metric and pretty much ignore it. My race from last March really showed how ridiculously unreliable it is:

IMG_7519.jpeg

Because I’m bored, and my running playlist is “only” 11h25m long and that’s not quite long enough for me to not repeat some songs when I run Dopey in January 😄😄

QOTD: people who run with music, what are the last 5 songs you listened to while running (or pick 5 random songs you like to run to if you don’t remember the last 5)?

ATTQOTD:
Can’t Stop The Feeling — Justin Timberlake
Tell Me Baby — Red Hot Chili Peppers
Right Round — Flo Rida
I’ve Just Seen a Face — Jim Sturgess (from the Across the Universe cast album)
Come On, Come On — Smash Mouth
Replying to my original post to say that my playlist has grown to 12h40m, mostly from adding songs from you all (but also from adding a few more songs from my library because Apple decided to glitch 5 hours off my playlist, and in the process of rebuilding it, I found some songs that I don’t think were on it before—I now have a text copy of the playlist so it’s easier to fix the next time it glitches)

Because I’m bored, and my running playlist is “only” 11h25m long and that’s not quite long enough for me to not repeat some songs when I run Dopey in January 😄😄

QOTD: people who run with music, what are the last 5 songs you listened to while running (or pick 5 random songs you like to run to if you don’t remember the last 5)?

ATTQOTD:
Can’t Stop The Feeling — Justin Timberlake
Tell Me Baby — Red Hot Chili Peppers
Right Round — Flo Rida
I’ve Just Seen a Face — Jim Sturgess (from the Across the Universe cast album)
Come On, Come On — Smash Mouth
ATTQOTD: These were the last five songs that I had on my POT playlist so that I would (hopefully) cross the finish line with the last song. It didn't work out to plan, so I added my first song on the playlist which ended up being the last one.

Get Ready - Pitbull featuring Blake Shelton
HOT - Pitbull and Daddy Yankee
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
GDFR - Flo Rida
All I Do Is Win - DJ Khaled
(Happily Ever After - Jordan Fisher and Angie Keilhauer) This one was intended to be nice, light and inspirational to start the half marathon. Certainly not to finish a hard race, but it was serendipitous once I found out that I achieved my goal.

First time I have forgotten to pack a vital piece of running gear (my capris) before a race. Thank goodness my daughter runs and I could use something of hers.

Race (Boston 5k) was pretty decent. The self seeding was horrendous-live and learn. It was cool to run through the Marathon finish line on Boylston (but as the sign said "Don't stop. This is not the finish line)

I finished respectably, but way slower than I used to run. Only good thing was that the average pace had an 8: out front. Was hoping for top 10 age group, but should have known better--this is not your basic local race. Winner in the 65-69 age group finished in 19+!

Last edited:
First time I have forgotten to pack a vital piece of running gear (my capris) before a race. Thank goodness my daughter runs and I could use something of hers.

Race (Boston 5k) was pretty decent. The self seeding was horrendous-live and learn. It was cool to run through the Marathon finish line on Boylston (but as the sign said "Don't stop. This is not the finish line)

I finished respectably, but way slower than I used to run. Only good thing was that the average pace had an 8: out front. Was hoping for top 10 age group, but should have known better--this is not your basic local race. Winner in the 65-69 age group finished in 19+!
Congrats! I feel like self-seeding pretty much always results in a huge mess 🫤

19 minutes is fast in any age group!! It is amazing what some people can do 😲

Race report: Newport Rhode Races Marathon
Newport RI 4/13/24
Sorry - it’s long

Made the 2+ hour drive down Friday afternoon to get to bib pickup (1-7) and was met with a very simple and organized experience. Plenty of friendly volunteers on hand to answer questions about parking or the course and keep any lines moving. The weekend was a full,half,and 5K for events with 4500 participants and a little over 1000 marathoners so no where near Disney size but not like a small local race near me.
IMG_2169.jpeg
The weather was just clearing out when we got there with a forecast the next day of near perfect temps (cloudy 41 start/53 finish) but unfortunate winds 15-25mph.
The next morning was up at 5:30 thinking wow I’d be starting now at Disney, quick coffee and PBJ, out to the car for a ten minute drive to the marathon parking. From there they were running school busses to the start and it seemed like every 5 minutes or so, again seeming very well organized and done.
The course was absolutely beautiful with miles along the coastline offering endless views of the Atlantic and running by many of the famous Newport mansions. The start could have used somewhat better organization as it was all at once self seeding but with several pace groups on hand most seemed to place themselves accordingly. The setup was good as the marathon started on the shared course a half hour early and crossed a timing mat at the halfway point which was also the half finish. On course saw an aid station about every 2 miles for the entire course with gels, water, and gator aid at each stop. The odd part, I’m not used to running with traffic, none of the roads were closed the entire race, however it wasn’t an issue as local police made sure runners always were safe and had the right of way. The entire course was very well marked and had flaggers at any turns.
The first half was a loop around one side of Newport then the second went the other direction to an out and back again along the coastline followed by another out and back by some unbelievable cliff top mansions then back through town to the finish at the beach. Both out and backs had timing mats to prevent the obvious easy course cut. There were some moderate hills (they seemed to get harder as it progressed)
The finish had lots of crowd support (as well as several areas along the course) and after getting the medal it was into the food tent for donuts, pizza, snacks, water, all provided for the runners, then on to the important things - the beer tent. Met my lovely wife and enjoyed a couple drinks then out to the shuttles to get back to the car.
That’s where they failed, there was a complete lack of organization or signage to direct people to which of two lots parking was at and the busses seems to be running less than a half of the start. It became a free for all taking over an hour waiting to get back. I think they’ll hear about that but being the only issue this is one I would race again.
Even better, it’s one of five in a series and if you do 3 or more, there is an extra medal/display that the others attach to and a discount (are you reading this Disney?)

So how did I do?
I felt good going into the race and even though it’s a big jump decided to go for 3:30 since there was a pace group to help. As a run walk run racer I met them just to see who I was looking for on course and lined up ready for the start figuring we’d play leapfrog with each other. I set out just a little faster and paced myself 4min/30sec run/walk keeping ahead of them and even gaining crossing the halfway over 4 min ahead of the pacers. Heading toward mile 14 I still felt good and just kept at it. Mile 15 - what are the odds a water main break on course saw to it that every runner would get rather wet feet - ugh. Could have been worse but just one thing to get you out of the groove… next up was the first out and back and now is when the winds became very apparent. This was a couple miles right along the coast with a very strong wind bringing salt and sea spray with it, not enough to get you wet, but enough to feel the dampness and put that smell of the ocean in your lungs. Still absolutely stunning views so I’ll take it. That got me to somewhere between 17 and 18 and heading to the next out and back and starting to feel it. This is where I hit the hills, nothing crazy, I think the entire course only gains about 800 feet, but enough that I was slowing considerably.
What next? Disaster as my Apple Watch failed me, for the first time the battery gave up mid race. Not sure if it was the cooler morning temps or the intervals but either way I lost my pace and my timer.
Already slowing I figured just run how you feel, though at this point I felt pretty beat.
It was mile 19 when the 3:30 pace group caught me, so I tried hanging with them and switching to continuous run mode. By mile 20 they were fading from view and again I just settled into the best I could do. The last aid station was at mile 24 and followed by the last hill (a decent one at that), at that point I decided to walk it and save myself for the final push. As I crested the top of the hill, the 3:45 group came up behind me, no,no,no not cool.
“Please tell me you guys are ahead of pace”
“A couple minutes, just a little fast”
That was the boot I needed, a couple minutes off 3:45 was my current PR, no way I let this group by me. With just under 2 to go I pulled away from them and settle in for the slight downhill to a flat mile to the finish, no idea what I was at but it must have been faster than I thought because when I hit the finish I saw a number on the clock that was a new PR!

3:41:11

Took over 2 minutes off my best! And on what seemed to be a pretty challenging course. It’s never fast enough, but I’m absolutely thrilled.
Now I need a quick recovery, a vacation to pick up our DD at school, a couple long runs, and taper to the Steel Rail Marathon May 19.

IMG_2197.jpeg
IMG_2202.jpeg

Race report: Newport Rhode Races Marathon
Newport RI 4/13/24
Sorry - it’s long

Made the 2+ hour drive down Friday afternoon to get to bib pickup (1-7) and was met with a very simple and organized experience. Plenty of friendly volunteers on hand to answer questions about parking or the course and keep any lines moving. The weekend was a full,half,and 5K for events with 4500 participants and a little over 1000 marathoners so no where near Disney size but not like a small local race near me.
View attachment 851468
The weather was just clearing out when we got there with a forecast the next day of near perfect temps (cloudy 41 start/53 finish) but unfortunate winds 15-25mph.
The next morning was up at 5:30 thinking wow I’d be starting now at Disney, quick coffee and PBJ, out to the car for a ten minute drive to the marathon parking. From there they were running school busses to the start and it seemed like every 5 minutes or so, again seeming very well organized and done.
The course was absolutely beautiful with miles along the coastline offering endless views of the Atlantic and running by many of the famous Newport mansions. The start could have used somewhat better organization as it was all at once self seeding but with several pace groups on hand most seemed to place themselves accordingly. The setup was good as the marathon started on the shared course a half hour early and crossed a timing mat at the halfway point which was also the half finish. On course saw an aid station about every 2 miles for the entire course with gels, water, and gator aid at each stop. The odd part, I’m not used to running with traffic, none of the roads were closed the entire race, however it wasn’t an issue as local police made sure runners always were safe and had the right of way. The entire course was very well marked and had flaggers at any turns.
The first half was a loop around one side of Newport then the second went the other direction to an out and back again along the coastline followed by another out and back by some unbelievable cliff top mansions then back through town to the finish at the beach. Both out and backs had timing mats to prevent the obvious easy course cut. There were some moderate hills (they seemed to get harder as it progressed)
The finish had lots of crowd support (as well as several areas along the course) and after getting the medal it was into the food tent for donuts, pizza, snacks, water, all provided for the runners, then on to the important things - the beer tent. Met my lovely wife and enjoyed a couple drinks then out to the shuttles to get back to the car.
That’s where they failed, there was a complete lack of organization or signage to direct people to which of two lots parking was at and the busses seems to be running less than a half of the start. It became a free for all taking over an hour waiting to get back. I think they’ll hear about that but being the only issue this is one I would race again.
Even better, it’s one of five in a series and if you do 3 or more, there is an extra medal/display that the others attach to and a discount (are you reading this Disney?)

So how did I do?
I felt good going into the race and even though it’s a big jump decided to go for 3:30 since there was a pace group to help. As a run walk run racer I met them just to see who I was looking for on course and lined up ready for the start figuring we’d play leapfrog with each other. I set out just a little faster and paced myself 4min/30sec run/walk keeping ahead of them and even gaining crossing the halfway over 4 min ahead of the pacers. Heading toward mile 14 I still felt good and just kept at it. Mile 15 - what are the odds a water main break on course saw to it that every runner would get rather wet feet - ugh. Could have been worse but just one thing to get you out of the groove… next up was the first out and back and now is when the winds became very apparent. This was a couple miles right along the coast with a very strong wind bringing salt and sea spray with it, not enough to get you wet, but enough to feel the dampness and put that smell of the ocean in your lungs. Still absolutely stunning views so I’ll take it. That got me to somewhere between 17 and 18 and heading to the next out and back and starting to feel it. This is where I hit the hills, nothing crazy, I think the entire course only gains about 800 feet, but enough that I was slowing considerably.
What next? Disaster as my Apple Watch failed me, for the first time the battery gave up mid race. Not sure if it was the cooler morning temps or the intervals but either way I lost my pace and my timer.
Already slowing I figured just run how you feel, though at this point I felt pretty beat.
It was mile 19 when the 3:30 pace group caught me, so I tried hanging with them and switching to continuous run mode. By mile 20 they were fading from view and again I just settled into the best I could do. The last aid station was at mile 24 and followed by the last hill (a decent one at that), at that point I decided to walk it and save myself for the final push. As I crested the top of the hill, the 3:45 group came up behind me, no,no,no not cool.
“Please tell me you guys are ahead of pace”
“A couple minutes, just a little fast”
That was the boot I needed, a couple minutes off 3:45 was my current PR, no way I let this group by me. With just under 2 to go I pulled away from them and settle in for the slight downhill to a flat mile to the finish, no idea what I was at but it must have been faster than I thought because when I hit the finish I saw a number on the clock that was a new PR!

3:41:11

Took over 2 minutes off my best! And on what seemed to be a pretty challenging course. It’s never fast enough, but I’m absolutely thrilled.
Now I need a quick recovery, a vacation to pick up our DD at school, a couple long runs, and taper to the Steel Rail Marathon May 19.

View attachment 851498
View attachment 851499
Congrats on the shiny new PR!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter