The Running Thread--2024

ATTQOTD:
My race calendar is very up in the air this year. My focus is going to be shorter distances until marathon training starts in September. I've thought about running one race every month but I haven't been successful in finding enough local events to do that and I'm not really sure that I want to race outside in February in Iowa. So for right now my calendar is as follows:
January - WDW Marathon
April - Grand Blue Mile

ATTQOTD:

I did the DL 10K and ended up negative splitting for the first time!

Up next:
Princess 5k and 10k. This weekend is meant for fun. My cousins and I are doing the 5k, my cousin Jessica is also doing the challenge and I'll be doing the 10k with her and her younger sister will be doing the half with her.

April is the Cherry Blossom ten-miler.

No other race at this time. I'm leaving my current job Wednesday without one lined up so I need to see how the job search shakes out.

QOTD: What's on your 2024 race calendar? Any big goals?

I registered for a local trail racing series that goes through the year and I'm doing a 4 miler down in Columbus that finishes on the field of Ohio Stadium but other than that up in the air.

I am planning to run a training cycle for a fast 1 miler and then a 5K specific cycle to try to get my finishing time back into the 18's for a 5K. I think I can better my 5:28 mile PR with dedicated training.

ATTQOTD:

Scheduled:
January - WDW 10k (done!)
February - Princess Half Marathon (my first!)
April - Springtime Surprise 10 miler (also my first!)
Also April - registering for the 2025 WDW marathon. Yes, it counts as an event. :D

Considering:
September - Margaritaville 10k. I raced the 5k last year and the course was easy but it was so hot. I wouldn't consider doing it again but it's close, the fee is low, and it would probably fit into marathon training (assuming I can register.)
November - Wine and Dine half marathon. I've only done the 5k during that weekend so it would be fun to try. Also could fit into marathon training. It's expensive, but runDisney are my local races. :D It will probably depend on the theme. If I'm not into it, I'll probably do Space Coast since I can be slower.
Also November - Space Coast half marathon. Not sure of the registration fee yet, and will be easier to get into than Wine and Dine. I would have to get a hotel. The time cutoff is like 6 hours for the half so it would be very easy for me to do as a training run. Plus, I think a friend of mine might be running it.
December - OUC half marathon. It's local and I think the cutoff would be doable for a training run. But I might want to wait until next year to race it, since Downtown Orlando is flat flat flat.

ATTQOTD:

Officially registered for the following:
2/3 - Groundhog 13.1
3/2 - Winter Trail Fest 5 Miler
4/20 - Rivertown 13.1
5/11 - Amway River Bank Run 25K
10/20 - Grand Rapids 13.1
11/3 - NYC MARATHON!!!

Considering adding these if they align with training:
3/23 - Kent City Ridge Run 15K
9/8 - Holland Haven 13.1
9/15 - Bridge Run 10 Miler

This is one of the races I'm thinking about traveling to - making a long weekend of it. Have you done this race before? If so, how was it?
I have run the Holland Haven half a few times. It's a nice flat course with some fun aid stations with yummy offerings, like blueberries and bacon. They usually have a great post race party with food and beverages too. I think the downside to this race is that you are sooo close to Lake Michigan, but you never see it. I think the full marathon course runs a portion along the lake, but not the half.

ATTQOTD:

WDW 5K/10K/HM and DL 5K/10K/HM are in the bag.
Springtime Surprise 5K/10K/10M are all I'm signed up for after that.

I want to focus on building consistency through summer (especially strength training now that I don't have a weekly appointment) and gearing up for Dopey training in the fall. I might pick up a few local 5K/10K races or some trail runs over the summer.

This is one of the races I'm thinking about traveling to - making a long weekend of it. Have you done this race before? If so, how was it?
I haven't, but I've heard good things. The biggest benefit to me is that it's on a Sunday, which works better for me than Saturday oddly enough.

I'm OK with it not running along the lakeshore because that means less wind (theoretically)

QOTD- MW and DL done!

Next up- NYC Half on March 17

I'm not signed up for anything after that but will probably do:

Run for Caumsett 5K, May 11
NYS Parks Summer Series- June thru Aug (8 Monday night races, mostly 5k, but at least one 10K and one 5M)
Cow Harbor 10K- September

We'll see after that...

ATTQOTD:
Registered and on the calendar:
Spring Surprise Challenge and 5k 4/24
Citi Field Spartan Race 6/24

On the calendar in pencil but not yet registered:
Jamesport Sprint Triathlon in May
Montauk Mightyman Olympic Distance Tri in September, if not Cow Harbor 10k (they are both the same weekend)

I am still trying to sort out my upcoming race calendar. A lot of it revolves around what I can convince my friends to do with me (in fact i just made a Reel about this topic today 😂) and how many colleges my son wants to visit this spring.
Ideally, I'd like to do Providence Marathon in May followed by a single day attempt at Presidential Traverse in New Hampshire in July and a race or two in the fall either 1/2 or full.

Races in consideration but waiting for things to shake out first:
Oct; Wineglass Marathon in NY, Urban Bourbon 1/2 in Louisville, End of Road 1/2 in PA and/or Ocean City Marathon in Md.

ATTQOTD:
Jan-Rose Bowl Half ✅
Mar-LA 5k
+ LA Marathon
Sep-possibly DL Halloween Half (though thinking about logistics is already giving me anxiety)
+ Berlin Marathon

@Marebear_runs: sorry I never replied above-also first time doing LA marathon and sad it doesn't end at the ocean. But also, we're doing so many of the same races, would be fun to try to meet up (if that's not weird).
Oh, wow, what a coincidence you’re doing Berlin too. Not weird at all, I think it would be fun!

ATTQOTD: Not much on my calendar.

January - Dopey, Dumbo + 5K
April - Springtime Surprise Challenge
November - New York Marathon

I might register for DL Halloween races. Haunted Mansion medal is luring me back. Space Coast is a possibility and maybe OUC half or the Mt Dora half.

Had surgery yesterday and I’m a bit miffed. I thought I’d be cleared to at least ride a stationary bike at the 6 week mark, but nope 👎 Absolutely nothing that requires me to engage any part of my upper body for 12 weeks and I can’t lift anything over 5 pounds either. Light walking only and only lower body machines at the gym where I don’t have to load plates (If I am by myself. Husband can load plates for me). Springtime Surprise is 11 weeks out from surgery. Not sure what I’m gonna do. I guess I’ll have to see what my surgeon says when we get closer to race weekend.

I have not participated in this thread before... but wanted to start. I think I am doing this right...

ATTQOTD:
Jan: Dumbo: Did
May: Colfax 10 miler

I am trying to work on my speed to get a POT for Dopey. The 10 miler is where I am hoping I can get a PR in and get my POT. I picked 10 miler since it is technically the best way to get a POT with rundisney. If I do not make the POT in Colfax 10 miler then I will sign up for other races that I have a good chance of getting a POT. I might even go down to a lower elevation... running in sea level is so nice compared to running in any place in Colorado. My plan is to do my first Dopey in 2025. So I am going to get better with adding strength training in my schedule and really stick to Chris plans he makes for me in the Galloway customize program.

Upcoming races

March 10 Tucson Shamrock half

Jun 1 – Rock n roll Sandiego 5k

June 2 – rock n roll Sandiego marathon (my 1st non Disney marathon-I thought this would be a good stepping stone)

I am hoping to register for the Halloween Disneyland challenge (or at least the half).

For the first time in a long time, I was charged by a dog. The house it lives at isn’t all that close to the highway I was running on, and it crossed both lanes of traffic. I am so lucky a truck came by and honked and scared it back, as it was so close. And of all the times, I didn’t even see a rock near me, and it wasn’t fazed by my bending to pick a “rock” which normally works for most dogs. I am going to complain to town, but of course they are closed on Friday, though who knows how much good that will do me. It will make me feel better at least.

Attqotd:

RUN SLC race series
Feb 3rd-5k
Mar 2nd-10k
Apr 13th-15k

Sept 14th-Revel Big Cottonwood Half Marathon.

Also, Moose on the Loose race series, local trail 1-milers with my daughter.

I’ll be interested to see how well I keep it together. Next weeks 5k is already going to be tough since we have a big event for a tech company, and we are making an offer on a spot in SLC for our next restaurant, so things are going to continue to be chaotic for me.

ATTQOTD:
January - WDW half of a half and DL half ✅
February - sitting on my hands so as not to register for the DL 10k
I'm doing the Princess 10k
April - I'm doing the Springtime 10k with my son!

That's all I'm currently registered for. I will probably do something at Wine and Dine weekend but what that is depends on the race themes and my plans for January 2025.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter