• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread--2024

Finally heard back from the race. Still not getting the greatest vibes but my options are a bit limited so I’ll take what I can get at this point. At least it’s a flat course so I should get a good time on it

I'm awful about continuing in threads after the second or third week of January, but I'm hoping for some accountability after being a slug last year.

I had knee surgery in September of '22, and I never got back into the groove. I think I ran 330 miles last year.

Right now, only planning on the Boulder half for POT for Goofy in '25. I have a gravel bike race or two, but really, just need to get back into a rythm.

Ohhhhh! I am curious @Professor_Cookie have you run Big Cottonwood before? DH is thinking about signing up for it this year to PR his marathon time and snag a BQ! We are doing the Mt. Charleston Half in April and I was hoping there might be some other REVELers out here. This will be my first Revel race. 😊
I have, I live at 7000 feet on the other side of guardsman pass, but based off some of the breathing I heard and people being pulled off the course by medical, I really wouldn’t recommend it if you live at sea level, but everyone handles the altitude differently, so ymmv. It is a stunning run though. Freaking cold at the top before sunrise, and then you are not subjected to direct sunlight until you exit the canyon at mile 7(for the half).

The full starts further up on top of the pass and it was funny being passed by a couple of the elite marathoners twice. Once coming down BCC, and then they do an out and back at the bottom of the canyon for the second passing.

I’ve got a general question, but probably best suited for @DopeyBadger in the end. 😃

When looking at a PoT race for MW Dopey, is the PoT threshold “easier” to meet with a half marathon or marathon?

I ask because my MW PoT expires after this weekend. I’ve got a local half/full combo that is pretty fast coming up in mid-March. My half and full PRs are both from that course. I’d like to register and at least take a shot at establishing a PoT, if possible.

I know this is going to be a long shot. I’ve been in ultra training mode for a long time and have neglected my tempo/speed work, but seeing what I can do there is probably worth a try, as races dry up in my neck if the woods from June through August and the heat makes May/September races difficult to run flat out.

I’ve got a general question, but probably best suited for @DopeyBadger in the end. 😃

When looking at a PoT race for MW Dopey, is the PoT threshold “easier” to meet with a half marathon or marathon?

I ask because my MW PoT expires after this weekend. I’ve got a local half/full combo that is pretty fast coming up in mid-March. My half and full PRs are both from that course. I’d like to register and at least take a shot at establishing a PoT, if possible.

I know this is going to be a long shot. I’ve been in ultra training mode for a long time and have neglected my tempo/speed work, but seeing what I can do there is probably worth a try, as races dry up in my neck if the woods from June through August and the heat makes May/September races difficult to run flat out.
What about a 10-miler? I’ve been trying to find one within a reasonable distance because that’s the sweet spot for me for speed. I can usually maintain my 10k pace through 10 miles but struggle past that point (one of my major training goals this year will be to work on improving that)

What about a 10-miler? I’ve been trying to find one within a reasonable distance because that’s the sweet spot for me for speed. I can usually maintain my 10k pace through 10 miles but struggle past that point (one of my major training goals this year will be to work on improving that)
10 milers are incredibly rare in my neck of the woods. The next one I’m aware of is after the PoT deadline in October and I don’t really want to travel just to get to a PoT race.

1704734068992.png

Based on MW 2024, I believe the above tables are still accurate.

If submitting for a M, Goofy or Dopey POT:

runDisney appears to use the same calculation for conversion for both the 10 mile and HM distance.

T2 = T1 x (D2/D1)^1.079

Because of this, there is no "mathematical advantage" based on the conversions. Thus, the ranked order of "easiness" would then default back to race distance (10 miler, then HM, then M) in the case of M/Goofy/Dopey POT submissions.

If submitting for a HM solo, or Challenge with no M (like Wine and Dine Challenge):

runDisney appears to use different calculations for conversion of a 10k, 10 mile, or M to the HM distance.

For HM Corrals using 10k: T2 = T1 X (D2/D1)^1.06
For HM Corrals using 10mi: T2 = T1 X (D2/D1)^1.03
For HM Corrals using M: T2 = T1 X (D2/D1)^1.11

In my opinion (and based on some math), the standards would go M, 10 miler, 10k, HM (from easiest to hardest) based on the conversion value runDisney appears to be using for HM POT submissions. So this differs from the other POT submission type because they don't use the same calculation. Thus, the ranked easiness doesn't follow the distance of the submittable events. The one caveat, while the M is mathematically the easiest, and is a slower conversion than most online calculators provide, based on the Williams and Vickers data sets of real world M runners, only about 24% of runners achieve that conversion value. So arguably the order could be 10 miler, 10k, HM, M depending on how good you are individually at the M distance. Those who follow better training plans are likely to be better converters.

Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

10 milers are incredibly rare in my neck of the woods. The next one I’m aware of is after the PoT deadline in October and I don’t really want to travel just to get to a PoT race.
I have no idea if you are in the mid-west or anywhere near MI/OH but we have a few 10 milers around here. I am thinking about doing this 10 miler in Delta, OH in 2 weeks if it's not a snowy blizzard out:

https://runtoledo.com/daves-10-miler-yeti-10k-delta-ohio/

It is supposed to be FLAT (yah!) and fast. Plus it starts at noon (another nice plus if you need to drive there or sleep in).

@DopeyBadger has been such a gem about helping figure out all this PoT stuff! I hope you manage to snag your time @camaker 😊

I heard and people being pulled off the course by medical, I really wouldn’t recommend it if you live at sea level, but everyone handles the altitude differently, so ymmv.
Thanks @Professor_Cookie this makes sense...and that's why I am a little concerned about the full marathon. We live in MI (lower peninsula) and I do think the altitude can potentially impact performance. I am hoping Mt. Charleston Half won't be as tough but we will see.

Thanks @Professor_Cookie this makes sense...and that's why I am a little concerned about the full marathon. We live in MI (lower peninsula) and I do think the altitude can potentially impact performance. I am hoping Mt. Charleston Half won't be as tough but we will see.
FWIW, when I used to work seasonally, I was in better shape than I am now and when I would get to the Rockies in fall from summer on the east coast it didn’t seem to affect me as badly

@camaker we have a 10 miler in Atlanta near the end of October. Not sure if it is before POT cutoff but can help you with everything. It is kind of hilly though.
Thanks! The PoT cutoff is usually very early October, though. The one I was thinking of in my area is the American Tobacco Trail 10 miler on October 26th or so, which is a shame because it would be a great PoT course.

I did look for more today and there is another one near me in late April, the Tar Heel 10 miler. Unfortunately, as an alumnus member of Wolfpack Nation, I don't think I could stomach that race, even for a PoT! 🤣🤣🤣

Oh yes, will do for sure! I am curious @Marebear_runs what wrecked you at Big Bear? Was it a PR for you? You said it was crazy fast so now I am wondering! I'd love to hear more about your experience. I am sitting on a 2:05 half right now and I am hoping Mt. Charleston Half will get me under my sub two goal time. I do a lot of elevation training with the hope that it helps. 🙏
I did Mt. Charleston some years back, in hopes of finally breaking the sub two goal I had, but I just couldn't swing it. The downhill was fine, but a lot. I think what did it for me was when it got flat at mile 10 my legs were like *** is happening now and just gave up. And yeah the pain I felt in my legs after that race was like NO OTHER. They were sore in places I didn't even know they could be for like DAYS. But it's a gorgeous course that I was familiar with and I remember the weather being awesome. I'm glad I did it but IDK if I would do it again.

I did Mt. Charleston some years back, in hopes of finally breaking the sub two goal I had, but I just couldn't swing it. The downhill was fine, but a lot. I think what did it for me was when it got flat at mile 10 my legs were like *** is happening now and just gave up. And yeah the pain I felt in my legs after that race was like NO OTHER. They were sore in places I didn't even know they could be for like DAYS. But it's a gorgeous course that I was familiar with and I remember the weather being awesome. I'm glad I did it but IDK if I would do it again.
Oh yes, that’s so accurate. After all the extreme downhill, when you hit flat ground at the end, it feels like running up a steep hill. Through molasses. With concrete shoes.

I definitely recommend watching the detailed course videos they do. That really helped me prepare for the course and how to pace myself at the various stages. This was Big Bear but they do a video for all of them. I was at least prepared pacing wise for how much the last couple miles would slow me down. Mentally, it was another thing altogether!

Hey everyone with Southwest flights—new promo code is out to save up to 40%: WOW

Thank you so much @jennamfeo this is good to know. I read that the Mt. Charleston half was split in two--the first 6 miles are downhill and the last 7 miles are flat. It sounds like that is not accurate then? I will definitely have to check out the course previews if I can--thanks so much @Marebear_runs !

Aside from the soreness after, I am actually a little more worried about the altitude adjustment. I am coming from Michigan and we are flying into Vegas Thursday night and staying in a hotel in Vegas. The race is Saturday morning and since it's the half, I am just praying that I won't be too severely impacted by the altitude and change in elevation. 🙏

Thank you so much @jennamfeo this is good to know. I read that the Mt. Charleston half was split in two--the first 6 miles are downhill and the last 7 miles are flat. It sounds like that is not accurate then? I will definitely have to check out the course previews if I can--thanks so much @Marebear_runs !

Aside from the soreness after, I am actually a little more worried about the altitude adjustment. I am coming from Michigan and we are flying into Vegas Thursday night and staying in a hotel in Vegas. The race is Saturday morning and since it's the half, I am just praying that I won't be too severely impacted by the altitude and change in elevation. 🙏
I doubt in Vegas, but here you can pick them up in grocery stores in my town so you could probably have them sent to your hotel and throw one in a running back pack, as insurance

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter