The Running Thread -- 2022

Dressing for the weather is so interesting depending on where everyone lives. I live in Pennsylvania, so we unfortunately experience all the seasons and types of precipitation!

For 50 and over, I wear shorts and a tank top.
For 40 - 50, I wear shorts and a t-shirt.
For 30 - 40, it depends on if it is sunny or if it is cloudy and windy. Most likely capris and a long-sleeve (or t-shirt with light coat). But if sunny and closer to 40, I'll wear shorts with long sleeves. I prefer shorts.
For 20 - 30, capris, long sleeve shirt, light coat, gloves, ear band.
For 10 - 20, tights, pullover, coat (light vs heavier depends on wind), gloves (maybe two pair), ear band.
For 0 - 10, treadmill.

:rotfl2:

For 30 - 40, it depends on if it is sunny or if it is cloudy and windy. Most likely capris and a long-sleeve (or t-shirt with light coat). But if sunny and closer to 40, I'll wear shorts with long sleeves. I prefer shorts.

That's exactly what I wore last night. Capris and my W&D Genie Challenge shirt. If it's below freezing, I'll wear gloves for the first 10 minutes but as soon as I'm warmed up, I take them off.

My avg HR was around 140, which is GREAT for me. I'm usually to 150, or 160 in the middle of summer.

I ran the 2022 Madison Marathon this past Sunday. Didn't have the day I was hoping for, but I took the day that I got with a 3:26. I wrote my recap in my journal if you'd like to read (link).

View attachment 719258

My marathon was 19F wind chill. I wore the above... :rotfl: I didn't even feel the need for my winter jacket until about 10 min after finishing.

As someone who likes heat but lives in the Northeast, I want this to be my life. I want to think 52 is cold!
I get this - I grew up in WNY, so I know cold! But I‘ve always felt cold at 52, which is why I left lol! The trade off is 6 months of infernal heat, though. I’ve go to figure out how to be a snowbird…
Can you send just a little bit of that cold down here. I'd love for it to be in the 60s for my run after work, but it's still in the 70s. In fact, I did a 7 mile Tempo run at 6:00 yesterday and it was 81*.
Ugh, soon?? Hang in there!

Ran my first speed workout in the snow today, with a feels like of 17F. I was too warm on the run laps, but would have been freezing on the recovery laps in my cold weather leggings, W&D Genie shirt, and hooded runDisney jacket. If it hadn’t been windy, I would’ve been fine with a lighter, unhooded, jacket. I love my convertible gloves that can be fingerless when I’m warm and mittens when I’m cold.

Dressing for the weather is so interesting depending on where everyone lives. I live in Pennsylvania, so we unfortunately experience all the seasons and types of precipitation!

For 10 - 20, tights, pullover, coat (light vs heavier depends on wind), gloves (maybe two pair), ear band.
For 0 - 10, treadmill.

Mine is almost exactly yours, but bump the temp ranges 10 degrees. Tank top above 60, t-shirt 50-60, etc. Also above 70 is sports bra only. I will just pretend the lower range on your breakdown doesn’t exist because in Houston, it doesn’t.

I'm also a big fan of the convertible mittens but I usually find if it's too warm for the mittens, it's too warm for anything.
convertible mittens are the exact opposite of how I like my gloves. I start with them on then fold the cuff down over my palm as I warm up. Having my wrists exposed cools me down the perfect amount while keeping my fingers warm.

I'm also a big fan of the convertible mittens but I usually find if it's too warm for the mittens, it's too warm for anything.
I just can't find gloves/mittens that keep my hands warm. As I type this, I see an ad on my screen for rechargeable heated gloves from Weston. Maybe I need to look into those?

I just can't find gloves/mittens that keep my hands warm. As I type this, I see an ad on my screen for rechargeable heated gloves from Weston. Maybe I need to look into those?

I'm a knitter and you won't find any fiber warmer than alpaca. It's super soft too!

I think I'll get to do my first snow run today. I've been stuck with 40 degree rain runs lately. I run warm and unless it is below 20 with wind chill in the single digits I don't run in a jacket. I have some Merino Wool layers that are good down to those temps.

My ‘best’ pair of running gloves is an off-brand that came from Ross (kind of like TJ Max if you don’t have them). They are convertible with a wind breaker mitten flap. The main part is fleece-like, but also a little wind resistant. A year or two ago, I bought a similar type of Brooks gloves/mittens that were on sale, and they are nowhere near as warm (base glove isn’t quite as thick/fleecy as the others).

If it going to be really really cold, I actually use my snowboard mittens. My hands usually get too warm in them, so they usually come off for a bit before putting them back on.

I find it helps a lot to slip a Hot Hands inside each glove during especially cold runs.

I have a pair of the Arc'teryx Venta gloves that are too warm for me above single digits. They also have some warmer gloves but they are the best running gloves I've every owned.

I generally run pretty warm so I don't have anything fancy for running. However, for dog walks I have to wear mittens. Gloves will not keep my hands warm. Mittens are also very easy to pop hand warmers into if it's really cold or I plan to be outside for hours.

I have a pair of the Arc'teryx Venta gloves that are too warm for me above single digits. They also have some warmer gloves but they are the best running gloves I've every owned.
I bought a pair for my Alaska cruise back in Sep. I actually bought them in July on clearance. I have been wearing them for dog walking. I love these gloves. I am always cold and have issues with my fingers going numb, so this morning walking the dog i had smart wool liner gloves under them. Yes i am a baby it was 32 in Atlanta with a real feel of 26 i think.

I did wait till lunch to run. It was 46, sunny and a real feel of 42. I managed not to wear a jacket but long sleeves, tights, gloves (the Brooks ones that @MissLiss279 mentioned) and and ear band.

For 0 - 10, treadmill.

I'm pretty much the same as you except that I haven't gotten conditions cold enough to make me go on the treadmill. If I am chased inside, it's usually by ice storms, freezing rain, etc. rather than just plain cold.

Cheap Floridian hack: two pairs of $1 (are they up to $2 now?!) knit gloves with a Hot Hands sandwiched between. Only part of my body that was warm for the first few miles of that 2017 WDW Maarthon with wind chill in the teens.

For 0 - 10, treadmill.

Bay Area doesn't really go below freezing, so my usual decision is whether to go with a long-sleeve running shirt or a short-sleeve. It's always shorts weather for running.

My cutoff is about 45F or so - above that, I'll wear a short-sleeve shirt, and below that I'll wear long sleeves. Hypothetically if we got rain that might shift the cutoff a bit, but we're looking at another La Niña winter here so that's not going to be much of a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter