• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2021

Those of you that have complicated systems, how do you track which shoes have what mileage?

I have always worn my shoes (currently Brooks Adrenaline GTS whatever the newest number is) until they hit 400 miles (because Garmin suggested 400 miles as a length of time to use them), and then I change right to a new pair. I've never noticed a difference between the old shoes and new shoes.

For me, nail polish, calendar and MSWord. I had lots of Ghost 10 shoes in black/pink since that was what stores carried in my size when I bought initially and then stocked up at clearance during marathon training. I would dot the outside tongue of the shoe with a nail polish color and then log that shoe as “Ghost 10 nail color” on my spreadsheet. Typically 1 pair was TThS and the other WSu, but I would notate on my calendar which day I wore a specific pair, then when logging my mileage into excel each month would sum accordingly.

It has been interesting to see the mileage on my shoes decrease over the last 18 months now that I am solely outside. I just retired my last pair of 10s and am wearing 13s. Having all that tread again is wonderful; I don’t realize how much it makes a difference until I start a new pair of shoes. The running store suggested I need the adrenaline’s based on my wear pattern/movement, so I have a pair of those to rotate with my 13s.

When I first started running, I had a friend who wrote the date she first ran in the shoes on the side of the sole in Sharpie. I don't put the date on mine, but just label them 1-2-3 etc and use Garmin to track mileage.

It fascinates me that people have such complicated systems for shoes. :) You're not the only one, just the one I'm replying to.

Those of you that have complicated systems, how do you track which shoes have what mileage?

I have always worn my shoes (currently Brooks Adrenaline GTS whatever the newest number is) until they hit 400 miles (because Garmin suggested 400 miles as a length of time to use them), and then I change right to a new pair. I've never noticed a difference between the old shoes and new shoes.

I used to wear the Ghost or the Glycerine (forget which first) but then once when I was going to try on a new pair at my running store, they didn't have that one, so I tried the other one and it was OK so I switched to that. At one point two years ago (??) I was having knee pain that I thought indicated I needed stability shoes so I switched to the Adrenalines and that was that. I have no shoe envy, except of colors because I wear wide width and those never have fun colors.

Yeah I track it in Garmin as well, entering which pair of shoes I use for which run. I have about 5-6 pairs in my rotation, most of them with a different purpose (speed vs comfort).

It's actually a good idea to rotate shoes if you can afford it, as it helps to avoid potential muscle imbalances. Amanda Brooks has a good article on her runtothefinish blog about it.

Treadmill discussion: We finished our basement this past winter and I got a new treadmill. I am a big guy so needed to get a treadmill that will last. It was delivered to our garage and it was soooo difficult to get to the basement. It will never, ever be moved again!

Shoe discussion: I enjoy switching out my shoes and maintaininga rotation. Again, as a bigger runner I have found certain shoes treat me better based on distance and terrain. I simply note the shoe I am in in my running diary and monthly tabulate how much milage I have in each shoe in rotation. I retire shoes at 300 (if they get that far). But usually my legs let me know once a pair is nearing the end.

I am new to running within the past year. I've done a couple virtual races 5k and 10k and a couple local in person 10k races. I'm really hoping to see RunDisney bring back the in personal races. If races go in person I would like to be in the Princess Race.

Treadmill discussion: I bought my treadmill at Walmart. Basic model but good enough for starting out. Picked it up myself and had a friend help me bring it in basement. Assembled it myself. Only hiccup was had wires backwards at first for the speed settings lol. But fixed it. I’d like to get a nicer one after this one bites the dust.

Shoe discussion: I am a Ghost person. That was recommended by shoe store when they evaluated me. After reading how people rotate and track mileage, I need to up my game. I’ll have to look how track the shoes through Garmin. I start with breaking in a pair for treadmill and rotate it for outdoors. I just retire the outdoor ones when tread looks bad or legs start hurting. So I only have 2 pair in the rotation at any one time. I’d like to try another pair but I’m hesitant to have an expensive experiment. Maybe if I catch a sale.

So TM users.....when you got your treadmills, did you "install" them yourself or have it done for you? Did you have it shipped to house or picked up?

We paid for delivery/install in the basement. We have a narrow staircase and the TM we got was heavy enough. DH said it was the best $200 he ever spent.

June 2021 Totals:
Activities 27
Total Distance 131.14 mi
Total Activity Time 23:23:37 h:m:s
Activity Calories 15,297 C
Total Elev Gain 10,162 ft
Average Speed 5.6 mph
Average Heart Rate 141 bpm
Average Run Cadence 158 spm

Increased my time running around the mountains this month.

So TM users.....when you got your treadmills, did you "install" them yourself or have it done for you? Did you have it shipped to house or picked up?

After a T+D run of 150 today, I was thinking more about getting a TM (to run inn my lovely cool basement). BestBuy has Wirecutter's pick (Proform 505CST) on sale for $600. But they (and everyone else) seem to charge $200+ to deliver and setup. Just wondering how tricky it would be to fetch one and install....with my DH doing most of the heavy work.

Our treadmill was a pandemic purchase so in-home assembly was not offered at the time. It was delivered to the garage in a box that looked way bigger than we thought it would be, we unpacked it there, and my brother and I moved it down the stairs. It is a Sole and I put it together myself. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

I track them in both Garmin Connect and sporttracks.mobi.

I was a loyal Mizuno Wave Rider buyer for about a decade but a few years ago decided to look for something with a lower drop. I tried the Mizuno Wave Shadow and they were good but I ultimately ended up on the Saucony Kinvara for my daily training shoe. I also have a pair of On Cloudflows that I use in the winter because I needed a little more tread and mesh higher on the shoe for winter running. Here are my current running rotation:

Saucony Kinvara 12: Daily trainer and races further than 10K
Mizuno Wave Ekiden 10: Track work and races 10K and shorter
On Cloudflow: Daily trainer when I need more grip or less mesh to get my foot wet (heavy rain or winter with snow/slush on the ground)
Saucony Peregrine 11: Trail Shoes
Saucony Peragrine 10 ST: Train Shoes when it is muddy

I'm just happy to have ANY amount of miles this month. Medical issues have plagued me and I was in the hospital twice. Things have calmed down and I'm feeling much better. I need surgery, but I'm so stubborn and will delay it until after the Chicago Marathon. It means I will miss W&D, but I should be good for Dopey!!!

June 2021
Miles: 53.53
Time: 9:14:13
Average Pace: 10:21

I tried rotating shoes. Too complicated for me. I know, a drop down to pick shoes after a run is not that hard, but just one more thing to forget to do.

One pair at a time, and let Garmin tell me when they're done.

I realized that I lied. I do use two pairs of shoes. When I started trail running, I did get trail running shoes (Brooks Cascadia). I use them when I run a trail, where trail is defined as "natural surface". Then my Adrenalines are for paved surface running. I do use the Garmin app drop-down to differentiate between the two.

June total mileage:130.....This was a surprise to see, but I guess not entirely since I was following a half training plan. I decided I have no head in the game to race, and especially in the summer, so instead I closed out the plan by running a lovely T+D=150 13.1 miler on Sunday.

And now, I plan to just run for fun.....of course, with the WDW races coming back and the wildness of requiring POT for anything below 2:00, I am now back to being irritated and considering a fall half--which is sort of stupid since it's a DIsney race. But I just can't bear the thought of being randomly stuck in corral M and then fighting my way through people just to try and run a race.

June Miles = 126

I completed my first race of 2021 - a half marathon on June 5. The race looked and felt like a normal race with a full field, no masks and no social distancing. Prior to the race, I was worried about some recent leg issues but everything was fine and I have had no issues since. I am considering another half on 7/18. It is has been so hot in the northeast I am not sure about doing 13.1 in July.

January = 145
February = 111
March = 141
April = 127
May = 143

2021 total miles = 793

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter