The Running Thread - 2021

Shoes: I am having a hard time not panicking about my shoes lately. I almost gave up on running when Brooks changed the design on the Adrenaline 18s, ran in NB for a year which did not go well, and went back to the Adrenaline 19's, and stocked up before they changed. I have a pair that were relegated to treadmill only at about 240 miles and probably need to be tossed at approaching 300 miles, and a pair at about 225 miles that will become the TM only shoes, and my last pair that I have 60 miles on. Because I bought them all at as they were being clearanced out, they are all the same color. I scavenged laces from older shoes to differentiate between them. I do track them in Garmin by made up name (Neptune, midnight, and FrankenShoe).

Treadmill: I got a Sole F80 this winter from Dicks when it was going to take two months for delivery or assembly. As I got a different lame family responsibility which had me out of the house all day, I ordered online and my husband and his friend picked it up curbside (it fits in a Sienna!) and carried it into the basement after unboxing in the snowy driveway. While our basement stairs are a bit terrifying (our realtor asked me not to go down them when I was pregnant and house searching), the angle is a reasonable shot from our side door, and there was no railing to get in the way. Assembly was done in two time blocks, largely because it was hard to attach the arm supports without having a second person to hold them up while they were being screwed in. The largest injury was to my bank account, but apparently the curbside employee clipped someone's ankle with the cart it was rolled out on- so I would consider it a success. While I do not love running on it, it is a good option to have when it was icy and cold, and I will probably set up a fan and use it in the near term as I find I run sloppy and end up with lots of aches when it is miserably humid (absolutely subjective assessment of the weather).

June 2021 totals
Distance: 140km (87mi)
Average pace: 6m40s/km (10:45/mi)
YTD: 1174km on 2021km

I finished my faster runs/trials and my training plan at the beginning of the month. The target race had been canceled but I still took a week off. I started a new plan for my October 3rd marathon and I ran everything except today’s training: I was getting out for it and there was lightning then the sky opened and it poured. I could not go later because I had my second vaccine appointment. July here I come!

So, I made a thing. Specifically, I got a 3d printer recently, and decided I wanted a 3-medal holder for my Kessel Run medals.

It took a few tries to get it right, and it prints in three pieces to fit in my printer, but now it's got pride of place on top of my short bookcase.

Link to STL files at Thingiverse

I didn't include the Kessel Run logo at Thingiverse, because the copyright issue there gets a bit sketchy, but I can make it available elsewhere if people are interested.

June Training Summary
Running Miles: 156.26
Running Time: 26:57:38
Average Pace: 10:21/mi
Average HR: 146/min

Extras:
Walking Miles: 83.99
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 2,018.65

Not much to note from June’s training. Summer heat and humidity has set in here in NC adding a double meaning to the training mantra of “just keep swimming, just keep swimming…”. The new training plan is well under way and hopefully July will bring the need to plan my fall training plan around Dopey. Fingers crossed!

What a strange PTRR today was. First it’s July 3 and not July 4. Yes I chose July 3 but I did not expect it to be so odd. First thing we noticed was the walk to Marta at 5:30 am. Practically no one out. Only saw people (not police or volunteers) till right at at midtown marta station. Next marta was empty. Normally train is standing room only and packed in. We got seats. Also the weather was some of the best I have seen for July in Atlanta.

Walk to corrals was normal but so few people. I was up in A. first time I am normally in B. I started in the back because I am not in racing shape. No flyover after the National Anthem. then the race started and it was so empty. I had so much space. No dodging or weaving. Now I wish i was in race shape as you could race this.

I had a goal finish 52 to 54 minutes. I missed it 54:31. cardiac hill kicked my butt and I got side stitch around mile 4. Thankfully I slowed a little and it got better. My calf feels a bit off. Hoping that gets better as the day goes on and not worse. Never had an issue with it during the run.

I am excited for tomorrow. Plan is to get up early and see the elites finish. Then we will bring Mallory out and watch the rest of the race.

good luck to my runners tomorrow @disneyatheart and @Krandor

What a strange PTRR today was. First it’s July 3 and not July 4. Yes I chose July 3 but I did not expect it to be so odd. First thing we noticed was the walk to Marta at 5:30 am. Practically no one out. Only saw people (not police or volunteers) till right at at midtown marta station. Next marta was empty. Normally train is standing room only and packed in. We got seats. Also the weather was some of the best I have seen for July in Atlanta.

Walk to corrals was normal but so few people. I was up in A. first time I am normally in B. I started in the back because I am not in racing shape. No flyover after the National Anthem. then the race started and it was so empty. I had so much space. No dodging or weaving. Now I wish i was in race shape as you could race this.

I had a goal finish 52 to 54 minutes. I missed it 54:31. cardiac hill kicked my butt and I got side stitch around mile 4. Thankfully I slowed a little and it got better. My calf feels a bit off. Hoping that gets better as the day goes on and not worse. Never had an issue with it during the run.

I am excited for tomorrow. Plan is to get up early and see the elites finish. Then we will bring Mallory out and watch the rest of the race.

good luck to my runners tomorrow @disneyatheart and @Krandor
Thanks! Appreciate the report! Your “not in racing shape” is so much faster than mine. I ran the Hartwell Dam Run in 1:03:47 with no hills, so in Atlanta, I will be happy to finish in 1:10! Great weather will continue tomorrow, so for that I am grateful! Our start from wave F is at 7:20, so there will be more crowding, but when I arrive in Piedmont Park around 8:30 +\-, I’ll keep an eye out to see if you are still there. Isn’t it great to have PTRR back!

Great run @garneska and thanks for the report. PTRR is one of my favorite race memories, because of the camaraderie on Marta and in the corrals and the phenomenal course support. I can't imagine it as you describe! I haven't been following -- did they ban spectators? Or do we suspect tomorrow's runners might see a more regular crowd, being the day it would normally be run?

I haven't been following -- did they ban spectators? Or do we suspect tomorrow's runners might see a more regular crowd, being the day it would normally be run?

I suspect tomorrow will have a lot more spectators. They did not ban them. I am guessing two early mornings in a row are tough for most. I am hoping to be out early enough to see the elites. I live very close to the finish so probably roll out of bed go to finish then come back and get Mallory.

Hope to see you @disneyatheart. I suspect with Mallory we will be on peach tree near 12 th st. If you are running we will be on the left side.

I am glad it was back! I did enjoy it but again it was different. Hopefully tomorrow is a more normal.

Report from spectating the PTRR. First I was able to get up and just made it the race and the elite women were just coming by. It was great timing, I was at mile 5.9 or so. two women were very close, but Sara Hall did win by 9 seconds. I did not know she was running (especially how close this race was to Olympic trials).

86FE1739-17AC-4FBF-9479-00E835948160.jpeg

the next pic was third place woman.

425A5B1E-87B1-4ED3-8EC3-AFE8B502EDE3.jpeg

first place male. Galen Rupp did run but was not top 3.

FF6374E9-0E79-4621-9908-50F56B2E2755.jpeg

First chair through.

4F8CEA44-38D2-4409-94A3-5DDF6A3F13C0.jpeg

it was not crowded at that point. Watched all the elites go by then headed back to the condo. Fed Mallory and took her out to watch the parade.

A0C58111-6B22-480F-AC4D-26FCC6711373.jpeg

we did see @disneyatheart. thanks for stopping to chat Sylvia. Saw her DH just before her but realized it as he past. It did give us a good heads up though. I knew she would not be far behind.

mallory enjoyed her parade and pets. She met a friend.

50A953CB-7A30-4294-917E-9D516DA42F7F.jpeg

Haply 4th.

What a strange PTRR today was. First it’s July 3 and not July 4...

Jealous! Signed up for the virtual due to FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). Watched the race coverage both mornings and felt left out. I'm not going to kick myself: we made what was the right decision for us back in March.

I ran solo at UNG. Managed to clock a 52:45. Just to be clear: dead flat, shaded course, with a water break (off the clock) every mile. I was still happy with it. Illegal parking lot beer, beer call with my bro and nephew. 35 years in a row for me and bro. Already thinking about 36.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy hoping next year to run with you. I knew I was not in racing shape but disappointed I was so far off. my mental state is nit where it should be for racing so I can’t really fault myself. Trying to be mature and remember you can’t have perfect races all the time.

what about atlanta 10 miler?

June Running
Miles: 114.92
Time: 22:04
Average HR: 141
Average Pace: 10:21
Number of Runs: 21

Most miles in a month since October 2019! I'm at 5 days/week to prepare for the Wineglass in October, and my legs are starting to feel it (we also moved this weekend, so that involved a lot of additional steps)!

June Running:
Total Miles: 59.06
Average pace: 11:35/mi

Very low mileage month for me, but I was at WDW for 8 days in the middle of the month celebrating my ds 18th birthday and high school graduation, and my 50th! I didn't run a step, unless you count running about 30-50 yards a few times to catch a bus! It was pretty glorious, and sadly, I didn't have a single pang of guilt about not running.

I just signed up for a 10k in September in a stretch attempt to get a PoT for a Disney half, given the new stringent criteria. Started a shiny new DopeyBadger plan yesterday. Even if I don't make it to a PoT time, it can't hurt to do some speed training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter