The Running Thread - 2020

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?
I was very disappointed to be in Kauai little too late for their race, but I would love to do their half marathon. I was at Aulani during the HNL marathon before I started running, and thought that would be cool, but I would still prefer Kauai.
Maybe after the kids are older....

ATTQOTD: Mine and @Jules76126's story sounds pretty similar. I started running about 5 years ago (turn 32 in August) and I feel like I still have some PRs ahead of me. I PRd every distance last year except the marathon, but I didn't run a marathon last year so maybe I could have if I had tried. :confused3 I think resetting PRs for me will probably occur when I have at least been running 10 years, although more and more people are getting faster as they get older so I may not need it. I think doing whatever you think is best and will keep you motivated is what matters most.

I am also an August birthday :goodvibes

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?

London is my top choice. It is a very special city for me. I lived there for a year, met my husband there, and went there on my honeymoon. Probably have to do a charity bib though since the lottery is tough. I would also love Paris as that city just makes me happy.

ATTQOTD: I have a number. Off the top of my head:

- The races held in Zion & the Grand Canyon.
- The Reykjavík Marathon. Also in Reykjavík, the Suzuki Midnight Sun Run held on the Summer solstice and has a 5K, 10K, & Half-Marathon option.
- Kona
- The Antarctica Marathon
- The Swiss Alps 100

ATTQOTD:
Disney races will probably always be my favorite destination races. I’d love to try all of the different weekends, but I really fell in love with marathon weekend, so it’s hard to not gravitate toward that!

Outside of that, I’d love to run some of the majors, specifically New York, London and Chicago. (And of course, drop 1.5 hours and qualify for Boston if we’re dreaming here.)

ATTQOTD: There are a few National Park races I’d love to run! A run through California wine country sounds like fun too. I’d love to run Disney Paris, but that won’t be happening until the kids are out of school.

ATTQOTD: There are so many...

Here's my marathon bucket list (which keeps growing):
Bayshore
Little Rock
Flying Pig
Grandma's
Kiawah
Missoula
Big Sur
Bermuda
MCM
NYC
London
Paris
Boston

I would also like to run a race (any distance) in all 50 states, but I've not gotten very far on that yet. Somehow I keep bouncing between Florida and Illinois on repeat. :-)

If I could only pick one, I would say Big Sur from everything I have seen about it. Of course I live in MA so I don't need to worry about Boston as it is not a destination race for me. But there are so many races I would love to travel for.

My wife and I are going to CA for our honeymoon. (We were talking about camping at FW as you may recall. But we decided on CA and booked everything last weekend. We will start in San Francisco and we are driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to Anaheim. So I will get to see Big Sur. It will either make me not want to run it, or want it even worse. We shall see.

You could always make Boston the first stop on your destination race. Do Boston 2 Big Sur. Three medals for two races! Haha.

ATTQOTD:
Big Sur
MCM
Boston
NYC
Flying Pig
Run the Bluegrass (trying to convince hubby to cross this one off this year)
Kauai
Baanf

Like @michigandergirl, my list keeps growing and I have a goal to run a half or full in every state. I am not sure if it will ever happen (currently only at 8, lol), but I am going to give it a shot!

We will start in San Francisco and we are driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to Anaheim.
Make sure to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. And give yourself a full day to do so. While it can be toured in 2-4 hours, you may find that you want/need more time to see everything they have there. The only place where I have seen more Disney history is in Walt Disney Archives in Burbank and that is much trickier to see.

ATTQOTD: I'll go with Disneyland Paris. But I would have to run there in a year in which I run a runDisney half so I can get Castle to Chateau.

ATTQOTD:

Run the Bluegrass (trying to convince hubby to cross this one off this year)

Like @michigandergirl, my list keeps growing and I have a goal to run a half or full in every state. I am not sure if it will ever happen (currently only at 8, lol), but I am going to give it a shot!

I decided to change things up a bit in 2020 and go to interesting HMs I have not run before. I'm about 99% sure I'm going to drive down from Chicago and do the Run the Bluegrass. I have a hotel reservation but have not pulled the trigger on the race itself. Price goes up a whopping $5 (from $95 to $100) after January 31, so it may be enough to get me the final 1%.

And the medal is pretty cool as well......
Run the Bluegrass 2.jpg

Last edited:
You could always make Boston the first stop on your destination race. Do Boston 2 Big Sur. Three medals for two races! Haha.

I need to qualify first. I haven't gotten to the point I am ready to start begging people for money yet!

Make sure to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. And give yourself a full day to do so. While it can be toured in 2-4 hours, you may find that you want/need more time to see everything they have there. The only place where I have seen more Disney history is in Walt Disney Archives in Burbank and that is much trickier to see.

ATTQOTD: I'll go with Disneyland Paris. But I would have to run there in a year in which I run a runDisney half so I can get Castle to Chateau.

Oh, it is on the list of stops, trust me! I am a HUGE Walt fan. This has been on the list of must sees for a few years.

If we are listing our full list of races/destination races:

Boston
Big Sur
Surf City Marathon
MCM
London
Seattle
Twin Cities (I heard it's a really good race)

That's all I can think of for now for marathons anyway.

I wouldn't mind doing a RnR race somewhere. I have seen a few 10 milers I would love to do in New England as well as the DC area.

I decided to change things up a bit in 2020 and go to interesting HMs I have not run before. I'm about 99% sure I'm going to drive down from Chicago and do the Run the Bluegrass. I have a hotel reservation but have not pulled the trigger on the race itself. Price goes up a whopping $5 (from $95 to $100) after January 31, so it may be enough to get me the final 1%.

And the medal is pretty cool as well......
View attachment 467475

This was my first half, way before I knew anything about RunDisney. I lived in Lexington at the time, but would 100% say it's worth the drive. I think I've settled on Flying pig in Cinci for this spring, but that medal is tempting me hard!.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter