The Running Thread - 2020

LOL! Who knows? You might one day! 😉And that is even more impressive (incredulous even) to run it TWICE in the same day.
It’s my big goal for it this year to qualify for finals. I think I have to run(climb) a sub-8 minute, which I think i have in me with a little bit of training and a bit more effort on the course. I was upright and smiling when I crossed the finish last year.

Maybe it's different on the West Coast, but I would disagree with both of those things (I have ran RNR Vegas and RNR AZ.)
One positive (depending how you look at it) about RnR races is how easy it is to move up in corrals. I’ve done the Seattle RnR a few times. They have a lot of small corrals and, while they’re clearly marked, they are not divided. So, you can easily enter your assigned corral and just keep walking towards the front.

Anyone attempt to register for the Brooklyn Half today? That was a nightmare. Made runDisney registration look easy!

(short version - the queue times kept changing, then when people got in the registration page didn't work, then they paused the queue while they investigated, then the entire website went down, then they finally re-opened registration 4 hours after it was supposed to open, with about 15 minute notice on social media and that's it)

(EDIT: Not that I registered, but my coworker was registering and I felt so bad for her because she's home with the flu and also had meetings to deal with and it was just a giant mess)

I love all the RnR races, they are very well organized and the medals are almost as good as Disney.
Maybe it's different on the West Coast, but I would disagree with both of those things (I have ran RNR Vegas and RNR AZ.)
I ran RnR Raleigh before they exited the area and I found them to be nowhere near the organizational level or quality of Disney.

My brother had a really bad experience when he ran the full in Denver. The full was very unorganized, after the first water stop they ran out of water for the rest of the race. No fuel provided. He had his own and a water bottle with him but he ran out and wanted to refill. Ran through some really bad parts of town, then out of the city to the pig farms (super smelly). It was his first and only DNF. People dropped out left and right. No medics on course, his wife ended up picking him up and a few others that dropped out as well. The half on the other hand had plenty of supplies huge support and the complete opposite experience. Needless to say the full is no longer an option here. With so many complaints they were promised refunds but several years later he has yet to see it. He’s boycotting all RNR races and I have mixed feelings if I should follow suit out of solidarity or give it a try for myself.

My first post marathon run today felt great. Easy 3.5-3.6ish miles in the cold and snow. Gearing up for RnR NOLA. Undecided how I want to run that one. I could go for time but I also just might want to enjoy it since it’s my first time in NOLA.

I think you will enjoy the post race stuff way more than the race. Where are you staying at for the race? I think they have a few parades that weekend, and well there is always Bourbon St. Do have a beverage at tropical isle or pat o's, I would not recommend having both though lol. Good luck!

Was driving this morning and thought I should check to see what the boston qualifying time for me now that I'm turning older (43 but 44 later this year). Oh wow wow wow, for me 45-50 is 3:20, I'm going to get an extra 10 minutes. I wasn't giving it much hope (last time I qualified was 10 years ago, 2 kids, before marriage), but now I'm pumped to giving it my best shot in a fall marathon.

funny how such a thing can make your day better, even though I have zero evidence that I'll be able to do that.

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?

ATTQOTD: I'll throw out three destination races that I would love to run:
  1. London Marathon. I love London and running through the historic areas and landmarks would be a phenomenal experience. It would also give me the opportunity/excuse to get over there to see an Arsenal match in person. Probably a pipe dream, though, as limited as the race entries are for a non-charity runner.
  2. Paris Marathon. Similar to London, the historic areas and landmarks of the beautiful city would be fantastic to run through.
  3. Reykjavik Marathon. Iceland is one of the most beautiful places I've had opportunity to visit. The scenery there is gorgeous. It would be a joy to run through.

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?

ATTQOTD: This is kinda cheating but it's a tie currently. I would like to run Big Sur or the MCM marathon. Both are cool races with cool things to do in the area.

If I could only pick one, I would say Big Sur from everything I have seen about it. Of course I live in MA so I don't need to worry about Boston as it is not a destination race for me. But there are so many races I would love to travel for.

My wife and I are going to CA for our honeymoon. (We were talking about camping at FW as you may recall. But we decided on CA and booked everything last weekend. We will start in San Francisco and we are driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to Anaheim. So I will get to see Big Sur. It will either make me not want to run it, or want it even worse. We shall see.

I ran RnR Raleigh before they exited the area and I found them to be nowhere near the organizational level or quality of Disney.
My brother had a really bad experience when he ran the full in Denver. The full was very unorganized, after the first water stop they ran out of water for the rest of the race. No fuel provided. He had his own and a water bottle with him but he ran out and wanted to refill. Ran through some really bad parts of town, then out of the city to the pig farms (super smelly). It was his first and only DNF. People dropped out left and right. No medics on course, his wife ended up picking him up and a few others that dropped out as well. The half on the other hand had plenty of supplies huge support and the complete opposite experience. Needless to say the full is no longer an option here. With so many complaints they were promised refunds but several years later he has yet to see it. He’s boycotting all RNR races and I have mixed feelings if I should follow suit out of solidarity or give it a try for myself.

I've only done Savannah, Nashville and NOLA and didn't have any issues, but I have heard of races where it was warm and they ran out of water, etc. The corral system is not nearly as organized as Disney (actually not even really organized at all from my experience), but I guess compared to some of the other races I have done the quality was better. I hate to hear that y'all have had bad experiences and what your brother went through sounds scary and dangerous. I don't have any other RNR races on my radar, so maybe that is a good thing based on this feedback. :oops:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter