• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

Regarding the guilt question: no

I run to stay healthy so I can be here for my family longer. I do schedule running around getting the kids to the bus stop, picking them up, etc. A lot of kids ride their bikes to the bus stop, but DD wants me to take her. I work from home so I'm able to. DH and I run together, so that's time we spend together. Also, it's setting a good example for the kids. They're doing more exercising on their own now. So I think my running obsession is having an overall positive effect on the family.

A gymnast. Every orthopedic’s dream. My daughter’s bff is a competitive gymnast (just turned 13). She has been on crutches more times than I can count.

If that was your doctor, I would be shopping for a new one. I have no tolerance for medical running naysayers.

Fortunately it’s not someone I have to see often. Unfortunately the waiting lists for rheumatologists are months long so switching would be hard to do.

How long before you either A) rolled your eyes or B)laughed out loud? :)

2.7 seconds 🤣

I knew y'all would appreciate my run in with a medical professional today. She told me I need to stop all running and weight lifting because it wasn't good for me :rolleyes2 She said swimming was better and to do yoga/pilates for strength training because they don't fatigue you as much. Meanwhile she had photos of her daughter who competes in gymnastics at the collegiate level plastered all over the walls.

I don't understand why doctors hate on running so much! You would think they would love it. And then the advice, well, if you want to exercise, just do something else. People don't seem to get that for some people, running is an enjoyable hobby, not just a means to weight loss or whatever. I don't LIKE swimming. So I wouldn't want to pick that any more than I'd want to play hockey, lol.

I knew y'all would appreciate my run in with a medical professional today. She told me I need to stop all running and weight lifting because it wasn't good for me :rolleyes2 She said swimming was better and to do yoga/pilates for strength training because they don't fatigue you as much. Meanwhile she had photos of her daughter who competes in gymnastics at the collegiate level plastered all over the walls.

My wife had injury issues (turns out it was IT band stuff) as a new runner trying to train for WDW marathon 2018. During the summer of 2018 she went and saw an ortho surgeon. She mentioned her knee pain and he knew she had some foot pain the prior year. His words were "maybe someone is trying to tell you something". In other words, you shouldn't be trying to run. So he just gave her a cortisone shot and was done. No recommendations for PT or anything. Well she learned a lot about herself doing PT and then slowly built her mileage up. She had to skip 2018 WDW, but she and I did 2019 WDW marathon run/walk together and it was amazing. And then right afterwards she began training with no walk breaks and completed a series of 5k/10k/10mile and then a half marathon... no walking and no injuries. She was so pleased with herself that I think she wanted to return to the doctor wearing all her medals. I'm picturing Julie Roberts in Pretty Woman...

My wife had injury issues (turns out it was IT band stuff) as a new runner trying to train for WDW marathon 2018. During the summer of 2018 she went and saw an ortho surgeon. She mentioned her knee pain and he knew she had some foot pain the prior year. His words were "maybe someone is trying to tell you something". In other words, you shouldn't be trying to run. So he just gave her a cortisone shot and was done. No recommendations for PT or anything. Well she learned a lot about herself doing PT and then slowly built her mileage up. She had to skip 2018 WDW, but she and I did 2019 WDW marathon run/walk together and it was amazing. And then right afterwards she began training with no walk breaks and completed a series of 5k/10k/10mile and then a half marathon... no walking and no injuries. She was so pleased with herself that I think she wanted to return to the doctor wearing all her medals. I'm picturing Julie Roberts in Pretty Woman...

View attachment 430303
Anti—running, but made quick with the cortisone shot? Good call.

So, I work in the medical field and so does a friend who happens to be my provider. I only see her once a year for annual blood work. Somehow we started talking about running--big mistake, big-huge! She told me how she thought it was bad for women b/c their uterus could fall. Seriously?!? I just couldn't believe she said that! And now I'm considering a new provider!

So, I work in the medical field and so does a friend who happens to be my provider. I only see her once a year for annual blood work. Somehow we started talking about running--big mistake, big-huge! She told me how she thought it was bad for women b/c their uterus could fall. Seriously?!? I just couldn't believe she said that! And now I'm considering a new provider!
Does she have similar concerns about pregnancy? Because that seems more likely to cause a loss of uterus.
As I find myself surrounded by very educated people on a daily basis, I am always so surprised about what comes out of their mouths.

Does she have similar concerns about pregnancy? Because that seems more likely to cause a loss of uterus.
As I find myself surrounded by very educated people on a daily basis, I am always so surprised about what comes out of their mouths.
Get out of my head @TheHamm !! If having four kids didn't cause my insides to fall out, I don't think running will! And yeah, sometimes educated folks are not as smart as they (or we) think they are!

2.7 seconds 🤣

Congrats on the new PR! :-)

This is not a joke. I work with an absolutely brilliant scientist who was able to solve a problem in our lab that had existed for 15-20 years (had to do with coming up with a methodology for determining blood concentrations of a compound that was in picograms). At lunch one days she says,

-Do you think ducks can fly? I mean, I've never seen one fly. But can they really?

She's over 40 years old.

-Do you think ducks can fly? I mean, I've never seen one fly. But can they really?
She's over 40 years old.
On a similar note, a colleague expounded on the Ford Motor Corp's generosity in providing habitat for Canadian Geese and how they must work hard to rehabilitate them after whatever injuries prevented them from flying across the river into Canada. I piped up and explained that my company spends money to chase those geese off and they were probably the ones that were injured in the process- and hid my smirk behind my drink. This type of brilliance is coding your future autonomous cars, people.

their uterus could fall
Since we derailed on this subject (although uterus reversal is quite extreme, stress leaks are more common), one thing I want to mention on this running board is the importance of doing pelvic floor reinforcement exercises. Pregnancy, running, aging... As my gynOb says: « We are all going in that direction » due to gravity.

I have decided that when my DD grow old, and if they have kids, I will offer them a series of appointments with a PF physiotherapist after they give birth, it is an important part of our health.

Fortunately it’s not someone I have to see often. Unfortunately the waiting lists for rheumatologists are months long so switching would be hard to do.

I can say that not all rheumatologists are that way...my rheumatologist has no problem with me running, playing tennis, strength training, etc. She is more of the attitude, "Well, it's unlikely that X is an issue for you, since you are in such good health to be running marathons."

Wow! That's such an old concern - is she keeping up with current research, like since 2000? :) Along the lines of "don't use up all your vital energy" or you will die...just reading something today about how that was a medical belief in the 1800s.

I feel like it's stuff like this that terrifies people from doing what is good for them (and baby when pregnant!) and introduces doubt. After reading this, I even 2nd guessed what I *know* is best... which is not being scared of things falling out.

My doctor once told me that exercise can be the "magic pill" that everyone wants- that has always stuck with me.

I feel like it's stuff like this that terrifies people from doing what is good for them (and baby when pregnant!) and introduces doubt. After reading this, I even 2nd guessed what I *know* is best... which is not being scared of things falling out.

My doctor once told me that exercise can be the "magic pill" that everyone wants- that has always stuck with me.

Yup, know I'm even concerned about my uterus falling out too. (Even though I'm pretty sure that's a rare occurrence in men)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter