The Running Thread - 2019

Any gel users out there care to make a recommendation? I was a longtime PowerGel user, but alas they are no more. I am looking for a non-sludge replacement, which rules out some like GU-just too thick.

If you have one that is on the "runny" side that you like, please suggest. Thanks!

Clif Cran-Razz gels are fairly viscous/runny.

Late with this, but I'll go...

1. Without a watch or without music/podcasts?
This is the toughest one. I need both! I suppose if its a race, I could do without the music, but I really enjoy running with music. But I need my pace more, lol.

2. A race with 20 people or 20,000 people?
Both. But if I had to choose, 20 because I would at least AG place, lol.

3. In a cotton tshirt or cotton socks?
Socks. I usually don't run in any shirt until October around here. I've also run WITHOUT socks, so the type of sock wouldn't matter.

4. In 110F or -10F temperatures?
110 hands down. Give me heat over cold any day. 108 is the hottest I've run in so far this year.

5. In high humidity or high winds?
High humidity. If the wind is against you, this makes maintaining pace so rough. Its always humid here, so I'm used to it.

ATTQOTD: guilty running

Nope. Its me and my cat.

ATTQOTD: gels
I like cliff blocks (marg with salt) because I can eat them over time. Gels are too much at once and sticky. But by the time the race starts giving them out (usually 18-19) I am hungry enough that I like that its all at once, lol.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: No guilt here, but I don't have kids yet. I normally run while my husband is still at work or at the gym, or he is biking along with me on long runs.

Gel question: I am a Huma fan, it is just like applesauce.

ATTQOTD: gels
I like cliff blocks (marg with salt) because I can eat them over time. Gels are too much at once and sticky. But by the time the race starts giving them out (usually 18-19) I am hungry enough that I like that its all at once, lol.
That's the flavor I use too and I like the blocks for exactly the same reason. They make it easy to spread a serving out and not have to take in all that sugar at once. When I was marathon training, I did get tired of the sweet taste on the longer runs and started alternating the blocks with goldfish crackers and that worked out well.

Anyone here sync Garmin Connect to Runkeeper? I'm very confused about something happening.
Somehow during the export, my time is changing. Here are two examples:

Run 1
Garmin: Total Time 1:28:04, Moving Time 1:27:20, Elapsed Time 1:32:24
Runkeeper: Time 1:23:43

Run 2
Garmin: Total Time 59:56, Moving Time 59:44, Elapsed Time 1:03:04
Runkeeper: Time 59:35

I don't get it - why would it be dropping time off when exporting to Runkeeper?

Anyone here sync Garmin Connect to Runkeeper? I'm very confused about something happening.
Somehow during the export, my time is changing. Here are two examples:

Run 1
Garmin: Total Time 1:28:04, Moving Time 1:27:20, Elapsed Time 1:32:24
Runkeeper: Time 1:23:43

Run 2
Garmin: Total Time 59:56, Moving Time 59:44, Elapsed Time 1:03:04
Runkeeper: Time 59:35

I don't get it - why would it be dropping time off when exporting to Runkeeper?

Strava does a thing where the 'moving' time isn't necessarily the same as Garmin's, because it counts any time under a given pace (IIRC 24:00/mi) as a pause. I'd wonder if it's something like that.

Strava does a thing where the 'moving' time isn't necessarily the same as Garmin's, because it counts any time under a given pace (IIRC 24:00/mi) as a pause. I'd wonder if it's something like that.
I was only stopped a couple times - the rest of the time I was definitely moving faster than 24:00/mile - I could see the Garmin taking longer for its Auto Pause to recognize a stop than iSmooth Run, which I also had running, so a difference of some seconds would make sense. But minutes off on the longer run? I can't figure that one out. iSmoothRun's times are in line with Garmin, I just noticed, creating further mystery...

ATTQOTD: Oh boy. Short answer, no. I run at lunch at work, I can get 5-6 miles in during the summer, 6-7 during the winter (heat is the limiting factor). If I am not training for a race, that is all I do. When I am training, I do have to add a long run on the weekend, but I try to be flexible on day and time to best fit our schedule. I run very few races, and almost entirely local to minimize both time and cost. Sigh. If only that were good enough.

I do feel guilty how the running limits spontaneity and vacationing. I have to get better at this: DW is going to **** me if we don't go on a fall vacation because I'm training for a non-existent marathon.

I keep hoping the fall vacation won't interfere with the Atlanta 10 miler :). To avoid issues i planned my fall vacation starting Oct 26.

Guilt: yes and no.

I never feel guilty for the time it takes for me to run. Usually nobody notices. I think my kids like when I am gone for awhile so they can be complete vegetables on their electronics. I get my main run done when they are at school (happy that they started 2 weeks ago) along with cross training and gym time. I will crank out a shorter easier run while they do whatever activity in the evening--soccer, cross country, more soccer, dance, whatever. I have been doing my longer runs Saturday morning during my high schooler's cc practice. They do their "long" run at the park I prefer for LR. I feel a smidge guilty because my son has to wait for me to finish--it was 45 minutes after he finished. I have to reschedule it now for a weekday because meets have started.

Now for the guilt...

This has become an expensive hobby. My last shoes lasted 6 weeks and then had too many miles. $$$

Travel expenses. There are so many destinations and specific races on my agenda. Berlin is next month. My family on the other hand LOVES when they get to come. All of us traveling adds up fast. Just dh and I going to Boston every year isn't cheap.

Medical issues and expenses. The whole broken leg thing this year just plain sucked and I feel a lot of guilt. It put a damper on WDW and our Disney Cruise (at least in my mind).

My kids get used to me being late, because I am always squeezing in "one more mile".

Sometimes I am worthless for the rest of the day after a long run. A few weeks ago, I felt so beaten down after running in the heat that I did very little the rest of the day.

I've struggled to find gels that don't upset my stomach when taken in the quantities needed for a marathon. Huma Gels were the solution that I finally found.
I'm another one who learned that Huma gels solved my nutrition problems in the quantities needed for a marathon. The taste is fine and they settled right.

ATTQOTD: I'm single, never married, no kids so that's not an issue for me. However, I have found that training can interfere with family activities and/or being able to visit family out of state during the holidays. So I'm still working out how to balance all of that.

I knew y'all would appreciate my run in with a medical professional today. She told me I need to stop all running and weight lifting because it wasn't good for me :rolleyes2 She said swimming was better and to do yoga/pilates for strength training because they don't fatigue you as much. Meanwhile she had photos of her daughter who competes in gymnastics at the collegiate level plastered all over the walls.

I knew y'all would appreciate my run in with a medical professional today. She told me I need to stop all running and weight lifting because it wasn't good for me :rolleyes2 She said swimming was better and to do yoga/pilates for strength training because they don't fatigue you as much. Meanwhile she had photos of her daughter who competes in gymnastics at the collegiate level plastered all over the walls.
A gymnast. Every orthopedic’s dream. My daughter’s bff is a competitive gymnast (just turned 13). She has been on crutches more times than I can count.

If that was your doctor, I would be shopping for a new one. I have no tolerance for medical running naysayers.

How long before you either A) rolled your eyes or B)laughed out loud? :)

@Wendy98 You train and compete at such a high level that it is not surprising that it can sometimes be overwhelming. No words of advice or platitudes, just an appreciation of what you accomplish and a hope that you find your balance.

QOTD- do you feel guilt for long times spent training away from your family?

Most of my runs are early in the morning before the family is awake, so no guilt. On the weekends, there are times when I run after others are awake, and for these runs, I usually ask if others want to join me (running with me if an easy pace or biking next to me if a long or speed workout).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter