The Running Thread - 2019

Overtake Man Utd?? Man Utd. is sitting 4th behind both Liverpool and Tottenham. Though United has been surging they would still be the ones doing the overtaking in relation to Liverpool and Tottenham. :)

I'm assuming he meant Man City, which has also been playing well recently. That blowout of Chelsea yesterday was impressive. I wonder if Sarri will be on his way out soon.

I'm assuming he meant Man City, which has also been playing well recently. That blowout of Chelsea yesterday was impressive. I wonder if Sarri will be on his way out soon.

I'm sure he did, but still worth pointing out as a United fan. I can't imagine Sarri lasts much longer but who knows. They kept Mourhino too long in the past, might as well do it again.

IMG_4074.jpg IMG_4079.jpg IMG_4080.jpg IMG_4086.jpg IMG_4092.jpg IMG_4101.jpg

@garneska
covered most of this in her excellent race recap, but I’ll briefly add my two cents. Cloudland Canyon 50k is an awesome race which I would not hesitate to run again.

It was cold at the start, but I run (pun intended) hot, so I started with a tank under layer, my MCM mock (yes the 2018 one, it was a hit at the aid stations ) and a sparkle skirt. I took off the under tank before mile 3. I had gloves that I took on and off until I ditched them and the tank at the mile 17 aid station in my drop bag. Coming up out of the canyon it started to get warm, I wished I had on short sleeves at that point.

The course was challenging, but the gorgeous views made up for it. I took lots of photos (a selection is added above).

From 17.5 to 20.5, we went straight down into the canyon (including 500 plus steps). When we got to the bottom, we went right back up again. The out and back to the water fall meant still more stairs, but it was worth it for the view.

PSA: If you wear a beer skirt, people at the aid stations will offer you drinks. I got whisky and a mimosa at 17 from some spectators, beer at 20.5 and two fireball shots at 25.5. Also the quesadillas and mini grilled cheese were life. The PBJ was good too. Great aid station faire, overall.

I wanted to finish under 7, but was proud of my final time of 7:09:03 on a tough course. Also, my move time was 6:47, but I wouldn’t have wanted to give up the fun I had at the aid stations or the photos I took, so I’m good with that.

Last edited:

Cloudland Canyon 50K Race Recap

Super long sorry.

Friday night, as expected, I did not sleep much. It was about 2 hours and then I laid in bed and rested another 2 hours. At 2:30 am (just like a Disney race) it was time to get up. With Mallory we thought it would be easier to go up that morning than try and get a hotel room. That was a good decision. We were on the road at 3:15 am. It took 2 hours, we had some rain to deal with and concerned it would turn to freezing rain because it was cold and got colder as we went north. I had plenty of time as the race started at 7:30 and I had a crew car so I did not have to shuttle.

Race start the temps were 28ish and real feel of 18. It was cold and windy, but no rain. I was wearing 2 layers of warm thick tights (I hate doing that but I knew the temps would not increase till much later in the day). I was planning that I could drop a pair of tights at an aid station if it warmed up. I had on a base layer t shirt, my warmest long sleeve top, a wind jacket, gloves, my fleece buff and a windproof beanie. It was insane, but since I had a car I did not have to stand around outside too long before the start.

View attachment 381592

The race ended up starting closer to 7:45. There were 195 people who started. I went straight to the back as we had to go single file to get on the trail. My first mile was pretty slow because I spent most of it walking. Lots of people started stepping off to remove clothes but I was not one of them. I had 9.7 miles to the first aid station. I think in that time there was quite a bit of gain in the first 6 miles. I walked when the people in front of me did and I started going around people but I was trying to be conservative. Bert was expecting me in about 2 hours, and at this point I hit mile 8 on my watch in about 1:55 so I knew I was slower than I wanted but was still pleased with my slightly better than 4 miles per hour. I made to the aid station about 2 hours and 15 minutes in.

Aid station 1. I really did not do much. It was cold and early in the race so I still had plenty of water in my bottle and plenty of infinite in my other bottle (I struggle with nutrition and today was no different but I tried to hit the infinite earlier than usual). The only thing I did was blow my nose, and then changed my hat to my ball cap to block the sun. I was going to change my buff to the lighter one and change to a different beanie, but Bert suggested to put the ball cap on so I had sun cover and keep the heavier buff to keep my head warm as I pulled it up over my head. That was a good call. I gave Mallory some pets and off I went.

Mallory at aid station 1.

View attachment 381593

The aid station helped spread people out so I had a bit more solitude from here to the next aid station at mile 17.4. The trail was less technical and not as much climbing as the first section. This section was much easier. Here I packman chomped people. Honestly it was kind of impressive as I would see no one and then on some turns would see people way ahead of me and thought nope won’t ever catch them but I did. My miles here were a bit faster they were averaging 13 minute miles in this section. Around mile 13 I started losing steam, so I took a gel. I was hitting the infinite, but now I knew I needed my nutrition I just did not want to take it. The one thing I do remember is around mile 16 going down and going down and all I was thinking ugh I am sure to get to the aid station I must climb out of this valley. That is exactly what happened and at that point was probably my longest walking section. It was pretty steep, but I knew once I climbed out, I would hit aid station 2.

At the aid station 2 I needed stuff. Bert was able to park and then set Mallory up and take the big gym bag with all my stuff. Thank you @camaker for the tip to put stuff in gallon size ziplock baggies. I told Bert I needed to change shirts both short and long sleeve. He was able to pull the two shirt bags right out without digging around. I changed shirts and gloves, I blew my nose (I had a cold so my nose was running a lot and also snot rocketing), and Bert filled my water bottle and my infinite bottle (I went through about ¾ of it by now). It was warming up, so I changed my heavy buff for a normal weight one. I was concerned it would still be to warm but I knew the next section of the trail would be very technical which would mean a lot of walking and I was afraid I would get cold. Because of the walking I decided not to take off the second pair of tights. I thought about getting food but I could not eat. I wish I had a pic of Mallory when I came to see her she was up and so happy. She was getting a lot of attention from people. She was having a great day.

Here comes the fun part. I had hiked most of the race ahead of time that would start here. I was glad I knew how technical and challenging it would be. I got to mile 18 and that meant 12 miles to go. It was at the top of the canyon which meant the drop in was coming and you must climb out. At 18, I was 4:32 minutes in. I had 12 miles to go, if I could hold on to 4 miles an hour that would put me in at 7:32, I knew I would be a little slower (did not expect as slow as I was going to be) but I thought I might make that 8 hour goal.

View attachment 381596

View attachment 381599

Time to drop. The good thing is at mile 18 the race was spaced out, it also warmed up so that the stairs were not icy, except one tiny section. I knew I would take the stairs slowly, but I was ok with that. The bad thing about being at mile 18 is you had a lot of stairs to go down and my legs were kind of thrashed at that point. The next aid station was all the way at the bottom at mile 20.5 and my crew could not be there (Bert and Mallory moved from aid station 2 to the finish which was right around the corner from the aid station). After navigating the steps and the water crossing, I tried to run as much as I could because I knew going up, I would have to walk. At this time, I was getting warm and took off my gloves. I was also getting hungry. I made it to the aid station just over an hour after I left aid station 2.

Aid station 3, I was hungry. I had a volunteer put my gloves in my pack and then fill up my water bottle, I had about half and thought I better refill (glad I did that). I ate some PB and J and then I found some glorious quesadillas. They were grilling them it was basically quesadilla with Kraft Singles cheese in the middle, but it tasted wonderful. I ate two (they were quartered though I did not care I was starving and had 10 miles to go) and took two more and left the aid station. I wanted to be moving and eating. I finished up food and chased some water and started running.

I knew to run as much as I could in this section as it was still fairly flat and I knew I would be climbing soon.

Bottom of the canyon. It was pretty but now I wanted to be done and I had 10 HARD miles to go.

View attachment 381594

View attachment 381598

i was trying so hard to smile.

The next aid station was at mile 25. 5 after climbing out of the canyon it was on to the western rim trail. I hiked this early and remember thinking OMG how am I going to run this? The answer to that is I am not. Starting about mile 22.5 I walked. I was with 2 other guys walking. We occasionally leap frogged going down and up the canyon, but after the stair climb out, we just walked and talked. They would pull ahead of me a little and then I would run a bit to catch them when I could. Finally, about mile 23.5 one wanted to run and then the other must have to. I lost them. I was alone. My back hurt a lot, my left hip flexor was hurting. I had two miles to the aid station. I could not run it was so technical and I was so tired that I just walked. I wanted to run so I could finish, because I wanted to be done, but I was afraid I would fall. I walked and then people came from behind about 6 people came by and passed me. I could do nothing but move out of the way and let them by. I was deflated at this point and wanted it to be over. I was close to the aid station but not there yet. I kept walking, I knew at this point my 8 hour goal was sunk, but I thought I could still finish in the time limit of 10 hours. I was not upset about missing the 8 hour goal, but the thought of 2 more hours on the trail was killing me. I had spent the last 3.5 miles just walking, I was not sure I would even be able to run anymore at this point.

The aid station was in sight and the ground was flat and easy, so I ran for 30 yards to get to the aid station. My watch said 7:10. The guy checking people in said you have 4.2 miles to go. I thought OMG I have 2 more hours of this and then he said this. IT IS ALL PAVEMENT THE REST OF THE WAY. The sky turned bright and I heard the Hallelujah Choir. I was going to get to run the last 4 miles on pavement. My joy was not because I might be close to 8 hours but because I thought on pavement, I could manage 4 miles per hour and finish in an hour. I had plowed through all my water and some infinite. I topped both bottles with water. I got a few more quesadillas to go and started walking. I ate, I drank water and then I ran.

I was hoping to be close to 8 (still thinking I would not make it) but I did not care I was just happy to run. I could see people ahead of me, but they were up there. I did not care. I ran that first mile on pavement in 10:30. I was so happy. Then I started picking off the people who passed me. I do think they spent a little more time at the aid station than me, but I wanted to finish. At this point I was finally warm and took my buff off. Then next mile had a little climb, so I did walk but I think I had passed 3 people at this point and my next mile was 11 minutes. It flattened out and I kept running and now I had people to packman chomp. The next person I passed was one of the guys I was walking with out of the canyon. He was like you go with that power as I passed right by him. I did chat a little, but it made me feel so strong. I passed another person and then I passed the other guy I was walking with. Again, I said some encouraging words and kept going. This next mile was 9:30. I was like what, I ran mile 29 in 9:30. I had a mile to go. I passed people, then I had to make a turn and go up a hill. I did walk but I was about to catch the last of the people who went by me on the trail. I could see the finish. It was still a little climb, but I was running. I finished strong. Lots of people commented how good I looked. I guess walking miles 22.5 to mile 25.5 allowed me to run faster at the end or I was just glad to be on pavement. I managed to scream out those last 4 miles and finish in 7:47:25. I could not believe I hit my goal and at mile 25 never thought that would happen.

View attachment 381597

View attachment 381595

Summary: I hurt a lot. My nutrition sucked as expected. It was cold. I wore 2 pairs of tights the entire time but when I was walking, I was glad I had them on. I only got warm at the end and that was because I was running. At mile 25 just before the aid station, I was done. I wanted it to be over. I wanted to finish, change and just head home. The only redeeming thing was the last 4 miles. I ran them tough. I signed up for the trail race after hiking the AT last summer in Georgia. I had so much fun hiking I thought let me combine my loves and try trail racing. I won’t say I will never do it again and I think 15k trail races I may occasionally do. However, I don’t have a lot of desire to run a long-distance trail race again. I did not want to stop and enjoy the views, I wanted to finish. I had a hard time with nutrition verses hiking I have no issues stopping to take in a view or stopping to eat. Also, with hiking I don’t feel like I am going to die in terms of falling. I spent most of the trail running looking down, so I did not fall. I think about how happy I was to be running on pavement. To be honest, now I am super jazzed to hopefully be running Boston in 2020. I tried it but not my cup of tea. Mallory had a great time so that was good. We had her very tired out with no sleeping that day it was too exciting. She gets two feedings at night and this was her after the first one.

View attachment 381600

TL;DR: My Garmin clocked 29.5 miles. I had 4,167 feet of elevation gain. I finished in 7:47:25 officially, Garmin moving time was 7:26:33. I think I will stick to shorter trail races and pavement. I love road running.

Great job, @garneska! Way to power through and finish strong. Thanks for sharing.

@tigger536 i am so glad you had an excellent race. That time was impressive. I tried to find you at the start but everyone so covered up. i did actually see you, you were coming out of the canyon and i was going in. It was fairly close to the bottom. i was going into aid station and you were coming out. Might have been a mile or so away. I kind of did not realize till you were passed me. I thought oh that was Jacque, but as you can imagine we were both trying to tough out our races. Agree on those quesadillas, they were life to me. It was a tough course.

@tigger536 i am so glad you had an excellent race. That time was impressive. I tried to find you at the start but everyone so covered up. i did actually see you, you were coming out of the canyon and i was going in. It was fairly close to the bottom. i was going into aid station and you were coming out. Might have been a mile or so away. I kind of did not realize till you were passed me. I thought oh that was Jacque, but as you can imagine we were both trying to tough out our races. Agree on those quesadillas, they were life to me. It was a tough course.

I thought that was you! I did the same thing, is it her? And then just focusing on trying to get back up tht canyon. Lol.

Congrats @tigger536........for your excellent finish at the Cloudland Canyon. Way to Go!

Now after reading both excellent race reports, I have a case of FOMO.

Last edited:
Mercedes-Benz Marathon Relay​

This is my first race recap and it was also my first marathon relay. It will be interesting ;) and long (sorry!).

Weather: 48° at the start but had dropped to 45° by my turn. Cloudy, windy and misting rain. Summary: COLD!

We had two teams running in support of The Happiness Foundation. The person that organized all of us wanted to meeting at 5:50 am to go over last minute instructions, pray, and then send us off. So 4:00 am came way too early – not to mention that my 2 year old did not allow me to sleep well for whatever reason. I carpooled with 2 other runners and we made it downtown with time to spare. We met up with the others, got our instructions and some group photos. Then we split.

Side note: Does everyone else compare every race to Disney now? I do – and it is a sad, sad thing for everyone else.

I checked my bag, stopped by the bathroom, and then headed to the bus to take me to my relay exchange point. Thankfully the bus was warm! We were delivered to our spot and off into the cold well before we would have liked. This relay point was actually for 2 legs – 2nd and 5th. So that meant there were 4 of us that would be waiting at least for a little while. I was the 5th runner on team 1. I arrived at the relay point first but was soon joined by 2 others. Then they informed me that the 5th runner for Team 2 was staying on the bus and was going to loop with it until he had to get off in order to stay warm longer. (I wish I had done this!) We found some seats under one of the pop-up tents and huddled in for the wait.

At 7:04 am we received a text that runner 1 had started the race. She had 6.5 miles and we knew she would be quick. Runner 2 was extremely anxious about her portion. We all were giving her pep talks leading up to the race. She is more of a walker than a runner but we told her just as long as she kept moving forward it didn’t matter how fast she was. We told her that 3 miles is 3 miles no matter how you cover it. As we started seeing runners come through she made the comment about not seeing any walkers. I laughed and told her those were the elite runners and they wouldn’t be walking. Then I added that there were definitely walkers. She said something about no one starts walking immediately and I told her that people that do run/walk intervals do. That seemed to help calm her a little. Before we knew it we were getting the text that runner 1 had crossed the 10K.

Pace: 8:45 min/mile
6.5 miles
Total time: 57:40

She arrived soon after and runner 2 took over. Then I settled in for a very long wait. The good news is we were at a nice park and there were all kinds of birds, ducks, and a few bystanders with some dogs to watch. I texted this pic to DH and told him I was sad it wasn't Maleficent. relay 2.jpg
We also had 2 porta pottys as well as a small hydration stop. The portas kept a steady line for the first hour but I knew I had hours ahead so I didn’t worry about a wait (side note: thanks to whoever on the Dis recommended taking tissues/toilet paper when you run because I did need it when I finally did go). I had packed some water, an uncrustable, and a protein bar. I wish I had taken a throwaway blanket or something. I tried to sit so as to not be on my feet but it was so stinking cold that I had to get up and move.

At 8:45 am I got the text that runner 2 had passed the 15K mark. (Oh and runner 5 on the other team finally got off of the bus).

Pace: 14:56 min/mile
2.9 miles
Total time: 1:40:58

Shortly after this, they opened the park bathrooms and they were heated. One of the other runners came out to tell us so we went and spent the next 1.5 hours in the women’s bathroom. This was good and bad. Good – we were warm. Bad – we were on our feet. During this wonderfully warm bathroom stay, I discovered (thanks to another runner) that you could go to the tracking site and it would show you where the runner was instead of just waiting on the texts. I quickly realized that it was an estimation based on the previous runners pace at the time of the crossing. I knew that runner 3 was much faster than the pace runner 2 had set so I wasn’t surprised when I got the next text at 25K.

Pace: 8:50 min/mile
6.0 miles
Total time: 2:34:50

I knew runner 4 was slower so I stayed in the warm bathroom. It was very funny to see the surprised look on others faces as they came in the bathroom and saw us. What was funnier is they would end up staying in there with us for a while. Then we all started comparing paces of our teammates and trying to figure out when we needed to leave the warmth to get ready for the exchange. The tracker estimated that runner 4 would get to me about 10:20 am. I knew that was not going to happen but I wasn’t sure how close to it she would be. She had told me that she kept about the same pace as I do and that was before we found out they had adjusted the legs a bit. Everyone but hers went down and she absorbed the extra making her 3.8 miles into 4.2 miles. I had originally planned to eat my uncrustable about 10:00 am but we were moving along faster than I expected so I ate it around 9:45 am.

I started getting anxious around 10:15 am. Based on the tracker and the texts, I expected a 30k text update and then, after having done the math, figured that we had about another mile before they would get to the exchange. So I considered waiting until the text. But at 10:20 am I couldn’t stand it and went on out. Ouch it was cold! I found runner 5 from the other team and chatted for a bit. He apparently had gone in the men’s bathroom and hung out for a while, too. Soon after 10:30 am we got the text. I had hoped to get the text before he did because I knew he was faster than me and I wanted a little head start. But, we actually got them seconds apart.

Pace: 14:26 min/mile
4.2 miles
Total time: 3:33:58

Before we knew it they were coming over the hill. I don’t know if it took that long for us to get our texts or if we’d done the math wrong. Then it was our turn. The other runner offered to let me take off first but I just laughed and said there was no point – he’d overtake me in seconds.

So I set-off and immediately noticed the stiffness. Before I’d even gone a mile there was a hydration station. I went ahead and grabbed some and of course forgot to squeeze the cup before drinking therefore spilling it on me. A little later I rounded another corner and there were spectators handing out shots of something and what looked like funnel cakes. I did not partake.

I covered my first mile at 11:17 but I was still feeling pretty stiff (or frozen, I’m not sure which). I also knew I needed to slow it down or I wouldn’t hold up the entire 6+ miles. My second mile was at a 12:48 pace. This was a tad slower than I wanted but I was finally starting to warm up. I was also noticing that my feet were hurting and realized it had to be from all of the standing. So I made the mental note to not do that ever again.

I passed a fuel station that I believe had Gnu. I wish now I had grabbed one to try on a training run but oh well. There were very few spectators so it was pretty quiet. I ended up putting in my other earbud because there didn’t seem to be much point in leaving one out. We were running down side streets and across railroad tracks. Some places had pot holes and loose gravel so I was trying to be cautious. Then it happened. About mile 3.5 I wiped out. Even more sadly – there was no obvious reason for my fall. There were no potholes, railroad tracks, loose gravel, banana peels….nada. One minute I was up and trucking along and the next I’m face down in the middle of the road. A few runners passed and asked if I was okay. Another pair said “you’ve got this!” I had to laugh at that. I got up, walked for just a bit to determine if I’d injured anything and noticed my left knee hurt. It felt more like a flesh wound but I wasn’t sure. My hands had gravel imprinted in them but it didn’t break the skin. After about 45 seconds, I started jogging. Nothing screamed at me so I kept going. So mile 3 was at a 13:12 pace.

Over a mile later, I realized that I had lost my gloves (cheap ones that didn’t matter) and also that my app had gotten paused. I don’t know exactly when it got paused so my mile 4 is actually mile 5. I did have to walk briefly a few times as the soreness from the fall started to creep in as well as the pain in my feet. I passed a couple of more pop-up tents with people giving out trail mix and gummy bears.

At mile marker 24 I noticed the time on the clock and began to calculate in my head. When I got to mile 25 and saw this…

relay.jpg

I decided that I was going to make sure we finished under 5 hours (even if just by a few seconds). Mile 5 came in at a 13:25 pace. So I skipped to "Footloose" on my playlist and picked up my pace. I passed some people with signs that said “Free Beer stay Left”. I stayed straight. Even with having to take a couple of 30 second walk breaks I covered mile 6 at a 12:58 pace.

As I approached the finish line, my teammates ran out onto the course. They hollered and asked if I was okay (they didn’t know I had fallen so I wonder if I really looked that bad). I hollered, “We’ve got to finish before 5 hours” and just kept going. We crossed the line when the clock said 4:59:** so I knew we had done it. I just wasn’t sure what the last 2 numbers were.

At the finish line they were passing out Mylar blankets (that I wish I’d had BEFORE the race) and ear warmers (could have used that before the race, too). We walked over to the relay tent to hand in the timing belt, get our medals, and then backed up to get a group shot.

relay 3.jpg

Official time: 4:58:00

Another teammate commented that he couldn’t believe we had finished with an hour to spare. I wholeheartedly agreed. We all thought we’d be pushing that 6 hour limit leading up the race.

So even with the freezing cold, me falling, the poor spectator experience, and the sorry mile-marker signs (comparing to Disney again), it was a great race. There was an after party with free BBQ in a warm warehouse type building and they had plenty of hydration stations along the course (at least the last 6.6 miles :laughing:).

My personal goal for my leg was 6.9 miles at 1:34:46 (based on the pace we’d have to keep to meet the 6 hr time limit). Even with the distance change to 6.6 miles, my time was 1:24:03. A part of me is excited that I beat my goal by 10 mins but another part of me is disappointed because it should not have taken me 14 mins to cover that extra half mile (previous 10k PR of 1:10:42). But overall, it was a lot of fun and I would do it again.

Fall update: I did skin my knee up but that seems to be the only damage. It does not hurt when I walk or bend it. Just the part where the skin is scraped off hurts. My feet are still a little tender but the rest of me feels perfectly fine.

Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long!

@Smilelea , I was wondering if anyone ran Mercedes yesterday. I usually run the half, but am just now getting over an inner thigh injury aggravated at the WDW Marathon, so I was not ready to run.

How was the course? I know that with all of the demolition/rebuilding of 20/59 through downtown Birmingham that they had to change the course significantly this year. The relay is a fun way to do the marathon. I've done the half there 3 times, but also did the relay once. The only thing I don't care for in the relay, like you said, is all of the waiting. The Jim N Nick's at the end sure is good though!

Not sure if you or any of your fellow BHM runners are interested, but the Tuscaloosa Half Marathon (www.tuscaloosahalf.com) is on March 30th and is a much flatter course than Mercedes tends to be, thus I find it better for POT's for my Disney races!

Congrats again!

Congrats @Smilelea for completing your marathon relay and beating your time goals. Warm bathrooms are the best, especially for runners!
Glad your fall wasn't too bad, did you ever figure out why you went down so unexpectedly?

Will you do another relay like this in the future?

Mercedes-Benz Marathon Relay​

This is my first race recap and it was also my first marathon relay. It will be interesting ;) and long (sorry!).

Weather: 48° at the start but had dropped to 45° by my turn. Cloudy, windy and misting rain. Summary: COLD!

We had two teams running in support of The Happiness Foundation. The person that organized all of us wanted to meeting at 5:50 am to go over last minute instructions, pray, and then send us off. So 4:00 am came way too early – not to mention that my 2 year old did not allow me to sleep well for whatever reason. I carpooled with 2 other runners and we made it downtown with time to spare. We met up with the others, got our instructions and some group photos. Then we split.

Side note: Does everyone else compare every race to Disney now? I do – and it is a sad, sad thing for everyone else.

I checked my bag, stopped by the bathroom, and then headed to the bus to take me to my relay exchange point. Thankfully the bus was warm! We were delivered to our spot and off into the cold well before we would have liked. This relay point was actually for 2 legs – 2nd and 5th. So that meant there were 4 of us that would be waiting at least for a little while. I was the 5th runner on team 1. I arrived at the relay point first but was soon joined by 2 others. Then they informed me that the 5th runner for Team 2 was staying on the bus and was going to loop with it until he had to get off in order to stay warm longer. (I wish I had done this!) We found some seats under one of the pop-up tents and huddled in for the wait.

At 7:04 am we received a text that runner 1 had started the race. She had 6.5 miles and we knew she would be quick. Runner 2 was extremely anxious about her portion. We all were giving her pep talks leading up to the race. She is more of a walker than a runner but we told her just as long as she kept moving forward it didn’t matter how fast she was. We told her that 3 miles is 3 miles no matter how you cover it. As we started seeing runners come through she made the comment about not seeing any walkers. I laughed and told her those were the elite runners and they wouldn’t be walking. Then I added that there were definitely walkers. She said something about no one starts walking immediately and I told her that people that do run/walk intervals do. That seemed to help calm her a little. Before we knew it we were getting the text that runner 1 had crossed the 10K.

Pace: 8:45 min/mile
6.5 miles
Total time: 57:40

She arrived soon after and runner 2 took over. Then I settled in for a very long wait. The good news is we were at a nice park and there were all kinds of birds, ducks, and a few bystanders with some dogs to watch. I texted this pic to DH and told him I was sad it wasn't Maleficent. View attachment 381902
We also had 2 porta pottys as well as a small hydration stop. The portas kept a steady line for the first hour but I knew I had hours ahead so I didn’t worry about a wait (side note: thanks to whoever on the Dis recommended taking tissues/toilet paper when you run because I did need it when I finally did go). I had packed some water, an uncrustable, and a protein bar. I wish I had taken a throwaway blanket or something. I tried to sit so as to not be on my feet but it was so stinking cold that I had to get up and move.

At 8:45 am I got the text that runner 2 had passed the 15K mark. (Oh and runner 5 on the other team finally got off of the bus).

Pace: 14:56 min/mile
2.9 miles
Total time: 1:40:58

Shortly after this, they opened the park bathrooms and they were heated. One of the other runners came out to tell us so we went and spent the next 1.5 hours in the women’s bathroom. This was good and bad. Good – we were warm. Bad – we were on our feet. During this wonderfully warm bathroom stay, I discovered (thanks to another runner) that you could go to the tracking site and it would show you where the runner was instead of just waiting on the texts. I quickly realized that it was an estimation based on the previous runners pace at the time of the crossing. I knew that runner 3 was much faster than the pace runner 2 had set so I wasn’t surprised when I got the next text at 25K.

Pace: 8:50 min/mile
6.0 miles
Total time: 2:34:50

I knew runner 4 was slower so I stayed in the warm bathroom. It was very funny to see the surprised look on others faces as they came in the bathroom and saw us. What was funnier is they would end up staying in there with us for a while. Then we all started comparing paces of our teammates and trying to figure out when we needed to leave the warmth to get ready for the exchange. The tracker estimated that runner 4 would get to me about 10:20 am. I knew that was not going to happen but I wasn’t sure how close to it she would be. She had told me that she kept about the same pace as I do and that was before we found out they had adjusted the legs a bit. Everyone but hers went down and she absorbed the extra making her 3.8 miles into 4.2 miles. I had originally planned to eat my uncrustable about 10:00 am but we were moving along faster than I expected so I ate it around 9:45 am.

I started getting anxious around 10:15 am. Based on the tracker and the texts, I expected a 30k text update and then, after having done the math, figured that we had about another mile before they would get to the exchange. So I considered waiting until the text. But at 10:20 am I couldn’t stand it and went on out. Ouch it was cold! I found runner 5 from the other team and chatted for a bit. He apparently had gone in the men’s bathroom and hung out for a while, too. Soon after 10:30 am we got the text. I had hoped to get the text before he did because I knew he was faster than me and I wanted a little head start. But, we actually got them seconds apart.

Pace: 14:26 min/mile
4.2 miles
Total time: 3:33:58

Before we knew it they were coming over the hill. I don’t know if it took that long for us to get our texts or if we’d done the math wrong. Then it was our turn. The other runner offered to let me take off first but I just laughed and said there was no point – he’d overtake me in seconds.

So I set-off and immediately noticed the stiffness. Before I’d even gone a mile there was a hydration station. I went ahead and grabbed some and of course forgot to squeeze the cup before drinking therefore spilling it on me. A little later I rounded another corner and there were spectators handing out shots of something and what looked like funnel cakes. I did not partake.

I covered my first mile at 11:17 but I was still feeling pretty stiff (or frozen, I’m not sure which). I also knew I needed to slow it down or I wouldn’t hold up the entire 6+ miles. My second mile was at a 12:48 pace. This was a tad slower than I wanted but I was finally starting to warm up. I was also noticing that my feet were hurting and realized it had to be from all of the standing. So I made the mental note to not do that ever again.

I passed a fuel station that I believe had Gnu. I wish now I had grabbed one to try on a training run but oh well. There were very few spectators so it was pretty quiet. I ended up putting in my other earbud because there didn’t seem to be much point in leaving one out. We were running down side streets and across railroad tracks. Some places had pot holes and loose gravel so I was trying to be cautious. Then it happened. About mile 3.5 I wiped out. Even more sadly – there was no obvious reason for my fall. There were no potholes, railroad tracks, loose gravel, banana peels….nada. One minute I was up and trucking along and the next I’m face down in the middle of the road. A few runners passed and asked if I was okay. Another pair said “you’ve got this!” I had to laugh at that. I got up, walked for just a bit to determine if I’d injured anything and noticed my left knee hurt. It felt more like a flesh wound but I wasn’t sure. My hands had gravel imprinted in them but it didn’t break the skin. After about 45 seconds, I started jogging. Nothing screamed at me so I kept going. So mile 3 was at a 13:12 pace.

Over a mile later, I realized that I had lost my gloves (cheap ones that didn’t matter) and also that my app had gotten paused. I don’t know exactly when it got paused so my mile 4 is actually mile 5. I did have to walk briefly a few times as the soreness from the fall started to creep in as well as the pain in my feet. I passed a couple of more pop-up tents with people giving out trail mix and gummy bears.

At mile marker 24 I noticed the time on the clock and began to calculate in my head. When I got to mile 25 and saw this…

View attachment 381904

I decided that I was going to make sure we finished under 5 hours (even if just by a few seconds). Mile 5 came in at a 13:25 pace. So I skipped to "Footloose" on my playlist and picked up my pace. I passed some people with signs that said “Free Beer stay Left”. I stayed straight. Even with having to take a couple of 30 second walk breaks I covered mile 6 at a 12:58 pace.

As I approached the finish line, my teammates ran out onto the course. They hollered and asked if I was okay (they didn’t know I had fallen so I wonder if I really looked that bad). I hollered, “We’ve got to finish before 5 hours” and just kept going. We crossed the line when the clock said 4:59:** so I knew we had done it. I just wasn’t sure what the last 2 numbers were.

At the finish line they were passing out Mylar blankets (that I wish I’d had BEFORE the race) and ear warmers (could have used that before the race, too). We walked over to the relay tent to hand in the timing belt, get our medals, and then backed up to get a group shot.

View attachment 381903

Official time: 4:58:00

Another teammate commented that he couldn’t believe we had finished with an hour to spare. I wholeheartedly agreed. We all thought we’d be pushing that 6 hour limit leading up the race.

So even with the freezing cold, me falling, the poor spectator experience, and the sorry mile-marker signs (comparing to Disney again), it was a great race. There was an after party with free BBQ in a warm warehouse type building and they had plenty of hydration stations along the course (at least the last 6.6 miles :laughing:).

My personal goal for my leg was 6.9 miles at 1:34:46 (based on the pace we’d have to keep to meet the 6 hr time limit). Even with the distance change to 6.6 miles, my time was 1:24:03. A part of me is excited that I beat my goal by 10 mins but another part of me is disappointed because it should not have taken me 14 mins to cover that extra half mile (previous 10k PR of 1:10:42). But overall, it was a lot of fun and I would do it again.

Fall update: I did skin my knee up but that seems to be the only damage. It does not hurt when I walk or bend it. Just the part where the skin is scraped off hurts. My feet are still a little tender but the rest of me feels perfectly fine.

Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long!
Great recap! Congratulations on finishing under 5 hours and working so well together as a team!

How was the course? I know that with all of the demolition/rebuilding of 20/59 through downtown Birmingham that they had to change the course significantly this year. The relay is a fun way to do the marathon. I've done the half there 3 times, but also did the relay once. The only thing I don't care for in the relay, like you said, is all of the waiting. The Jim N Nick's at the end sure is good though!

I have to say it wasn't as smooth as I'd expected - the pavement I mean. I guess knowing that it would be downtown Birmingham I just expected smoother surfaces. On the other hand, I don't go downtown very often so what did I really know. It felt like we took back roads for back roads at certain times. We made so many turns that I am extremely thankful it was well marked. As far as the elevation, I had some slight inclines but nothing major. Runner 2 said he had one part that was a steady incline that was rough. It didn't go very high, it just stayed as an incline for so long. Runner 4 said she had one hill that was a surprise. Other than that, I can't really answer that question. I dont know what it was like previous years so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I can completely agree with the wait. That was awful. The food was delicious!

Glad your fall wasn't too bad, did you ever figure out why you went down so unexpectedly?

Will you do another relay like this in the future?

Nope, still no clue on why I fell. My shoe wasnt untied and I'm pretty sure I didn't trip over my own feet. But, then again, I did fall so :confused3.

Yes! I will gladly do another relay. Right now, that is the only way I care to do a full marathon. I loved the team support and the good natured joking. I just have to plan better for the waiting part.

Great racing over the weekend everyone and loved the reports!

Sorry for missing another QOTD. Work has been very high pressure which has kept me away from my normal ease into the morning routine. I think the worse is over for now and should resume our normal scheduled QOTD tomorrow.

PSA: If you wear a beer skirt, people at the aid stations will offer you drinks. I got whisky and a mimosa at 17 from some spectators, beer at 20.5 and two fireball shots at 25.5. Also the quesadillas and mini grilled cheese were life. The PBJ was good too. Great aid station faire, overall.

I just bought beer compression sleeves and I'm hoping they have the same effect!! Congrats on a great race!

ATTQOTD (Friday): Sports for me is kinda going into a lull period. Auburn is decent in basketball this year, and we normally have a bracket pool for March Madness at work so I will somewhat pay attention to that. Our closest baseball team is the Braves, and they haven't really been anything to be excited about in a while. I'll just patiently wait for college football to come back to me.

I'll be doing my Rock n' Roll New Orleans recap sometime this week, but summarize it here...SO MUCH FUN!

Congrats @garneska and @tigger536, y'all are awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter