The Running Thread - 2019

Race Recap: Universal Sole Trail Challenge, Schiller Park, Illinois

The race was 4ish miles within a forest preserve along the Des Plaines river. Unfortunately the sequence of bitter cold/snow/thaw/cold over the past two weeks meant that much of the course had flooded and was now sheet ice. A last minute course change put us on less ice but through more narrow forest paths. The weather was OK...tempts around 8-10 but a bit of sun and very light wind. The 200 runners had to go single file in many spots, walk in a few spots, and climb over/under a bunch of fallen trees.

We received an email before the race strongly suggesting wearing track spikes or slip over ice spikes. I wore nano spikes over my trail running shoes, which really worked out well. I was able to keep chugging along over the ice while many others were slipping. I still took a hard fall at about mile 1.5, but after walking for 30 seconds I was able to keep going. I finished in about 46 minutes which I thought, under the circumstances, was pretty good. Then I saw that I finished 6 of 7 in my age group (men 60-69) and I was disappointed. I was middle of the pack overall, so the old men did well as a cohort.

Fortunately the hot chili and cold beer served after the race brightened up my spirits again. All in all, a nice short fun winter run in Chicago.

Congratulations to @garneska for finishing your first ultra! Awesome job on a tough course! The views look amazing but that elevation change looks fearsome. Way to keep on keeping on!

Congratulations also to @tigger536 for finishing in a great time while wearing the infamous 2018 MCM shirt! :rotfl2: I don't think I've worn mine once since I got it.
Nice pics, too. Looks like a really pretty park.

QOTD: What has running done for you other than the physical effects?

ATTQOTD: I find that when I am running I am usually a much happier person. Also running has allowed me to visit some cool places and meet a lot of great folks. I think meeting new people with common interest has been my favorite part so far.

Attqotd: if I’m in a decent mood, I get into a better mood. It often allows me think about things at work without distractions and grind through problems.

If I am in a bad mood about something at work, like a virulent review or hey, one of my cooks called in sick AGAIN, unfortunately it doesn’t help me and I have to go deal with that and maybe then get a run in.

QOTD: What has running done for you other than the physical effects?

I've become good friends with some runners I've met over the years at local races. I have also traveled to places I likely wouldn't have if it wasn't for a destination race. A good example is Frederick, MD. I went there to do a half and love the historic district. When we take our next DC trip we are adding a day just to check out the city.

I have also worked through a lot of work problems on runs. It clears my mind and I come up with ideas to try. The trick is writing them down as soon as I'm done.

It helps with anxiety, and it has also helped me learn that it's ok to try new things even if I'm not good at them. It is an opportunity for me to get alone time when I need it but it's also an opportunity to get together with friends (I have a couple friends that got into running around the same time). It's been an excuse to travel and to see familiar places from a new perspective (Disney, Vegas, Richmond, Annapolis for the travel and DC and Baltimore for the familiar).

ATTQOTD: Running is my therapy. I always feel better mentally after a run. (Even a bad one.) It has also given me a sense of self. This is something I can do for myself, by myself. Plus it's been helpful in getting through podcasts and audiobooks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter