• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

Hrm, the VA3 only has a lock screen option to lock the touchscreen, although now I'm reading someone complaining in the Garmin forums about how when this is on he has to hold the button for > 3 seconds to pause/resume/stop activities, so maybe that is what I'm looking for. I'd need to remember to disable it (or use the long presses) when running... my issue is mainly when doing other activities, I tilt (<-- apparently I got censored for using a 4 letter word for a rooster there :D) my wrist back far enough to press it. I thought it was just things like pushups where I was hitting it, but I managed to do it again today I think while I was on a rower.

I don't know if this would help, but theres a way to switch where the button is (so that you're wearing it on the other side and it's a little further from your wrist). Its somewhere in the settings. It might be worth giving that a try. You'll still be hitting the scroll-y thing on the side, but that seems like less of a problem.

EDIT: it's under setting, then go to system, and change the orientation. And then you probably also want to switch the parts of the band.

ATTQOTD: Not really influenced by elites but I do want to try those fancy Nike shoes they're all wearing. This is true even though Nikes generally don't fit me well and they will probably kill my knees! I have been influenced by what others on this board do and wear though....

By the way Fall finally arrived in Houston. The T&D was down over 20 degrees today relative to Tuesday. And my average HR was down almost 10bpm relative to last Thursday when I did the exact same run!

ATTQOTD: I'm influenced by the articles I read about their determination or positive thinking or overcoming adversity etc etc. But I'm also influenced by the same type of thing from everyday runners as well. As far as actual gear and training plans, etc. Probably not to a huge extent. Maybe a tiny bit? I almost get scared away by things like the Nike shoes...well those can't be for me?

Today has provided some of the most intense live streaming weather coverage I have ever seen. For a while I thought I witnessed what was two storm chasers last moments on Earth. As interesting as I find all of the storm stuff to be, the devastation left behind is sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to those that are impacted by this storm and those who it will impact over the next 48 hours.
I'm right there with you, @LSUlakes. The footage coming out of Mexico Beach this morning is just crushing... not surprising to me at all - it's exactly what I expected - but actually seeing it is tough. It looks exactly as I remember our home island after Hugo, making it extra poignant, I guess. Hoping against hope those homes that are just gone were empty and people didn't try to ride it out there.

QOTD: Are you influenced by things that elite runners do? For example are you more inclined to purchase a product they have used or a training method they endorse?
ATTQOTD: I wouldn't say they influence me any more than other outlets, but sure - if it works for Meb, I'm willing to give it a try! As a "mature" runner, I found Meb's insistence that extra rest for masters is a good thing reassuring, for example. I've watched any endurance adventure racing broadcasts I could find for many years (Eco Challenge, anyone? Boundless? love 'em!), and I get a lot of ideas from them about things I might want to try - different kinds of layers for dealing with varying temps, nutrition, etc.

QOTD: Are you influenced by things that elite runners do? For example are you more inclined to purchase a product they have used or a training method they endorse?

I'm going with the old standby answer of "it depends." I won't buy a pair of shoes just because some guy ran sub-2:02 in them (I'm not a fan of Nike in general, really, though I will admit those shoes do seem to perform as advertised), but I did get hooked on Tailwind after I read about some top ultra runners and triathletes using it with great success. I'll also make adjustments to my tri training based on reading analysis and discussion of the top athletes' bike setup, aero positioning, and swim stroke. I think I'm more inclined to data-driven changes than buying a particular shirt because a certain athlete is wearing one. It's why I read almost everything DC Rainmaker writes about gadgets and training tools.

I don't know if this would help, but theres a way to switch where the button is (so that you're wearing it on the other side and it's a little further from your wrist). Its somewhere in the settings. It might be worth giving that a try. You'll still be hitting the scroll-y thing on the side, but that seems like less of a problem.

EDIT: it's under setting, then go to system, and change the orientation. And then you probably also want to switch the parts of the band.
Oh... I did try changing the orientation before but I found out it's really hard to put a watch on upside down or on a different wrist and I stopped doing it, although today I did move it to my other wrist after I noticed it paused. I never thought to change the band to fix the issue of "this is really awkward to do". :o

ATTQOTD - I really don't even pay attention to the products that they use, but I do pay attention to the things that they have done in training to improve their performance and prevent injuries. Like most here I am more influenced by people who run more like I do, but I don't ignore what the elites do.

Y’all can read the details about my dismal half in my journal. Here is the cliff notes version:

Under the Oaks Half Marathon on Jekyll island in Georgia is a gorgeous course. It loops the island. You run along the ocean, through a tiny residential neighborhood, under canopies of Oak Trees, over wooden bridges, through a historical district of mansions and back to the start. It’s just beautiful. The last three miles has zero shade. And it was miserably hot and humid even with a 7:30am start.

I was hoping to cut time off my current PR of 2:13:38. Pneumonia knocked me on my *** more than I thought and I was not nearly recovered enough. I was stubborn and saw the race through and looking back that was probably stupid. I’ve slept so much over the last few days. Anyway, it took me 2:47:13 to drag my body over the finish line.

I’d love to run this race again. I left Georgia yesterday feeling like I had unfinished business.

I ran Under the Oaks also and it was a great race.

However after spending the night in a hotel room without air conditioning and waking up every hour, I wasn't at my best either.

Next year, I am crushing my time on that course.

I've never heard of Boundless, but I LOVED the Eco-Challenge!
Boundless is on Amazon Prime now - definitely worth checking out! Simon Donato and Paul Trebilcock trying their hand at all kinds of different major endurance races. And did you hear that Burnett's putting together a new Eco-Challenge?!

ATTQOTD: The closest I get to elite runners are you folks here. I've bought some stuff recommended by @Miranda before (we know each other on another forum) - I'm pretty sure she's the one that pointed me at RaceDots, for example.

I will say that hanging out here has me thinking a lot more critically about my equipment. Sneakers, especially, although I've bought two Garmins now since joining here...

Hiiii! I have been creeping and trying to catch up. I am off my vacation now and have my race recap almost done. I had a terrible time at Disneyland so I can't wait to write about that. :sad2: But first, I'll catch up on QOTD's.

QOTD: Post race recovery, what do you do to recover? How soon before you get your next run in?

If runDisney has taught me anything, it’s that my body needs to keep moving after a race. The first time I did a runDisney weekend I did the Dumbo Double Dare, after the 10k we did Disneyland and it was great but after the Half we got in the car and drove down to San Diego. My legs were TOAST. They got all tight and I could barely walk. It was the worst.

So, keep me moving and get me some food and booze. I am all set after that.

As for running again after?.... Depends on my goals. But I should probably start training for Dopey now, huh?...

QOTD: Since it was mentioned, stays on topic, and I am struggling for ideas today... ICE BATHS for recovery! Have you done them before? Did you find it helped any?

Nope. Never. Actually, after my second Triathlon I got into the hot tub at my in laws house and that was glorious. I am intrigued about these recovery bath bombs though.

QOTD: Has your watch time ever matched your chip time for a race?

I am really bad at hitting the buttons on my watch at the right times, so I am going to go with no. But on this topic, my GPS got messed up at my race on Sunday and my Garmin cut me short on my race, which made Strava cut me short and didn’t give me my new HM PR recognition. Runkeeper was totally fine though. Super weird and irritating.

No. I am not an elite and will never be an elite. I am influenced by what they say and that motivates me, but not by their brand.

I'm back from Disney (have been since Tuesday, but then Hurricane Michael had me running around like a mad woman). We leave for Destin tomorrow (30ish miles from where Michael made landfall, but apparently our condo is fine). I was supposed to be running the 30A half this weekend but it has been cancelled. so now I have to find another half marathon for my 12 in one year goal. We are all safe though and got really lucky, so this minor inconvenience for me is nothing compared to what people are going through right now. I will try to remember as many QOTDs as I can (cheating using @jennamfeo's post above, LOL).
  • I normally have trouble eating right after a half marathon or full, but I try to drink as much water as possible. Around an hour or two after I'm normally able to eat and I usually want pizza. I wait about a week before running again after a full and run the next day after a half.
  • I do not like being cold, so no ice baths for me!
  • I barely remember to charge my watch, much less hit it as I cross the start and finish lines on time...so no. LOL
  • I really, really want some of those 4% Nike shoes, but that would be a total waste of money for me. Other than that, I just look up to elite runners.

ATTQOTD: No. I am probably more influenced by other experienced runners (like most of us on this thread) than someone is who is in a totally different league.

One quick comment on yesterday's question about starting and stopping your Garmin at the start/finish mats: be very careful where your wrist is in relation to your bib when you stop your Garmin. My bib did not record at the finish of the full at Disney a few years ago, and Track Shack thinks it was because my watch was right next to the sensor in my bib since i had my arm at mid-chest level as I pushed the buttons. I'm not sure I buy this reasoning, but whatever the cause, I had to provide them with photos from throughout the race, video from the finish line, and my Garmin data file before they would restore me to the list of finishers. I was using this race as my qualifier for Comrades, so it was a fairly stressful week while getting this resolved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter