The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Like others, it is the mindset of Elite runners that influence me, their attitude while racing, some of their advice. Eventually, we all benefit from other runners’ lessons, be it physical, mental or équipement improvements. And thanks for sharing here!

I had a terrible time at Disneyland so I can't wait to write about that. :sad2:
Can’t wait to read... Planning to go next summer.

Boundless is on Amazon Prime now - definitely worth checking out! Simon Donato and Paul Trebilcock trying their hand at all kinds of different major endurance races. And did you hear that Burnett's putting together a new Eco-Challenge?!
I will check it out! And no I didn't hear that, wooo! I hope it's as good as the earlier seasons... there was 1-2 later on that had some celebrities (like the Playboy Bunny team sticks in my mind) and it seemed easier than in the beginning. I really just enjoyed the regular racers more. I love shows about crazy endurance stuff that I'd never be able to do, like there was a show that was on like 3-4 seasons Everest: Beyond the Limit where it followed various climbers the whole season.

ATTQOTD: The closest I get to elite runners are you folks here. I've bought some stuff recommended by @Miranda before (we know each other on another forum) - I'm pretty sure she's the one that pointed me at RaceDots, for example.
Haha, probably... I love my Dots! I forgot those in my list. :D

I love shows about crazy endurance stuff that I'd never be able to do, like there was a show that was on like 3-4 seasons Everest: Beyond the Limit where it followed various climbers the whole season.
LOL, are we related?! LOVED the Everest show, too!

QOTD: Are you influenced by things that elite runners do? For example are you more inclined to purchase a product they have used or a training method they endorse?

I think people have to be careful about what they incorporate into their training from elites and that is for any sport.

First, their job is training. They don't train in conjunction with their job. A great example is effort vs rest. An elite runner can put in a session or split session on the edge but can spend the remaining 20 hours of the day resting. Us normal Joe's that have to also work 8 hours, commute 2, take care of a toddler for 4, and do housework after they go to bed for an hour and then finally get to bed can't put in the necessary rest to train like an elite. It will end in injury or an immune system so weak we spend months a year sick.

Second, there is the simple question of ROI. Risking injury or illness due to increased training intensity for 30 seconds off a marathon time isn't worth it for us while it might be for them. Those 30 seconds could be worth $100,000 while for us it is only worth a 30 second faster time.

I will look at their methodology and see what is working for them but I always look at it through the lens of adjusting it for a normal person. Products I generally don't care about. Recovery products I will look at and may incorporate it into my routine but I'm not buying a $5,000 recovery contraption even if it works wonders.

Oh... I did try changing the orientation before but I found out it's really hard to put a watch on upside down or on a different wrist and I stopped doing it, although today I did move it to my other wrist after I noticed it paused. I never thought to change the band to fix the issue of "this is really awkward to do". :o

If you change the orientation also move the band around so you are not putting it on upside down, it is right-side up with the button on the other side.

ATTQOTD: As others have said, I’m not influenced by what elites use. I do really like reading what they say/about them.

Could someone give me a few measurements of last year’s Marathon Weekend medals? Making some medal pouch holders and don’t want to make the pockets too small.

Could someone give me a few measurements of last year’s Marathon Weekend medals? Making some medal pouch holders and don’t want to make the pockets too small.
I ran the 10K and 1/2, and both medals are in the 4 inch diameter range, the 1/2 slightly under and the 10K slightly over, The irregularities in both medals are due to character features extending outside of the circular core medal design. I read some eye witness testimonies from folks who ran Chicago and saw the 2019 medals that they may be a "little bigger" for next years marathon weekend. I have no scientific or mathematical proof to verify that :teacher:, just what I read!

ETA: An e-mail to RunDisney may help with the specific dimensions.

I don't have last year's medals but I am curious....what are medal pouch holders? Do you have a pic?

ATTQOTD: As far as equipment goes, I use what works for me. If I am going to try something new, I will test it before using it in a race. Endorsement from elite runners matters very little to me on that front.

That said, U.S. Olympian Jared Ward shares the same religious faith as I do and since part of our faith is no alcohol or coffee, I pay closer attention to his diet as I know that he doesn't consume them either.

This week we have the following folks with races!!!!

13 - @disneydaydreamer33 - Salt Lake City Haunted Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
13 - @kleph - Hartford Marathon (4:00:00 / N/A)
13 - @Sanchez - The Dam Tri/Lake Murray (NG / N/A)
14 - @SarahDisney - NYRR Staten Island Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @gjramsey - Cypress Texas 10 (NG / N/A)
14 - @KSellers88 - 30A Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @MissLiss279 - Prairie Fire Half Marathon (1:59:00 / N/A)

My apologies to posting the list late. I thought I had already done so. Hope yall have a great race and we look forward to hearing how it went! If you would like to revise your goal, just let me know and I will make the adjustment in the OP.

This week we have the following folks with races!!!!

13 - @disneydaydreamer33 - Salt Lake City Haunted Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
13 - @kleph - Hartford Marathon (4:00:00 / N/A)
13 - @Sanchez - The Dam Tri/Lake Murray (NG / N/A)
14 - @SarahDisney - NYRR Staten Island Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @gjramsey - Cypress Texas 10 (NG / N/A)
14 - @KSellers88 - 30A Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
14 - @MissLiss279 - Prairie Fire Half Marathon (1:59:00 / N/A)

My apologies to posting the list late. I thought I had already done so. Hope yall have a great race and we look forward to hearing how it went! If you would like to revise your goal, just let me know and I will make the adjustment in the OP.
Good luck all!

And that post just made me realise that there is only one month left before my next half!

ATTQOTD: Shoes are a weakness, so if I see some that I think look cool I will look into them. I've never actually purchased the absolute top of the line shoes that elites wear, but if I see the slightly cheaper versions in a colorway I like and they seem like they could be a possible fit for me I'll give them a try. (i.e. instead of the Vaporfly 4% I'd likely look at Zoom Fly models and wait for those to go on sale if I liked them).

The most expensive shoes I've ever bought were the one time I made an earnest attempt to fit a training shoe to my performance level and mileage; nothing the elites would wear in a race for sure. They felt good out of the box and seemed like a great fit...until I realized anything over a 4 mile run and I would wear a blister the size of a dime into the back of my heal.

So I figure getting shoes because I like how they look is as good a start as any, I've had a lot of luck that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter