The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD:
Getting kids in and out of seats is an ergo nightmare, but I had amazing arms from lifting infant twins in their bucket seats. The rest of me was a hot mess, though.
I would ice it for at least a day, then heat. I kept a heating pad at my desk as the time there was the most likely to be unmoving. After you feel a bit better (rest is not a bad thing), add some flexibility and core strengthening to your routine! Simple stretches like twists in a chair or side stretches at the copy machine are better than nothing- because who has time for more when you are already training for a race?

QOTD: On my way to work I had a good running question, but Im going to save it for tomorrow now. I somehow managed to pull my back lifting my 20 lbs son out of his car seat and looking for tips and tricks to get this thing back in working order. And gooooo!
I would maybe suggest some yoga moves. Anything involving the back. That could help stretch things out. Lots of football players/teams incorporate yoga moves into their warm ups and such to prevent and help with injury these days.

Last edited:
I’m no help. I would maybe suggest some yoga moves though. Anything involving the back. That could help stretch things out. Lots of football players/teams incorporate yoga moves into their warm ups and such to prevent and help with injury these days.

I second yoga. I have a coworker that has a really bad back, and yoga/pilates is what her doctor has recommended. She can tell right away if she goes too long without taking a class. My other recommendations would be icy hot, I love that stuff. LOL.

QOTD: On my way to work I had a good running question, but Im going to save it for tomorrow now. I somehow managed to pull my back lifting my 20 lbs son out of his car seat and looking for tips and tricks to get this thing back in working order. And gooooo!

I third the suggestions for yoga. There are plenty of good videos available online which will show you how to stretch your back. Assuming it's your lower back, Child's Pose is one of the best.

ATTQOTD: I am not a doctor, but I play one on internet message boards. My prescription: rest.

ATTQOTD: I'm not enjoying this aging thing.

Been there, have the shirt and wear it too often for my liking. In addition to ice today/tomorrow and then moving to heat, take the pain pills/anti inflammatory pills of your choice for the next few days. Also, even though it hurts, keep walking upright, do not start leaning forward. I end up putting my hands behind my back when I walk to keep my spine straight.

ATTQOTD: ouch. I've only got sympathy to offer. Be cautious if you have never done yoga before. Incorrect stretching and positions can really aggravate an injury. If you have done it before and know what you are doing it can really help.

This. Do not start now, wait until you are healed. Also with the impact incorrect positions has, check how you are sitting both at home and work the next few days, some chairs will be better for your posture than others - oversized deep chairs or sofas will be bad for you this week.

If you still hurt in a week go see the doctor. Sometimes prescription pain medications or muscle relaxers are worth the co pay. Do not be like me the first time and live in the land of denial for 60 days and then have to spend 3 months in physical therapy.

ATTQOTD: I agree yoga is fantastic, BUT I would wait until you are mostly out of pain before starting. Google this pose: Constructive Rest Position - start with this position, it is just lying on the floor on your back with your knees bent and focusing on breathing in through your nose and out through your nose. Stay here for as long as it's comfortable. This pose helps relax the muscles and helps align the spine/pelvic girdle. You can do this multiple times a day and when you start to feel better, then you can begin adding other yoga poses.

I used to teach yoga and have helped many bad backs over the years. Most back problems stem from the following: 1) weak core muscles 2) tight psoas muscles, which leads to misaligned pelvic bones and 3) tight hips. A regular yoga routine can help address all of these issues.

ATTQOTD: I 5th (approximately) yoga. Simple things like knees to chest, cat-cow, child pose, cobra pose to start off with. Then maybe work in some rotation: one knee to the chest and 'windshield wiper' it', both knees to one side, etc. Not professional advice. Ignore this and just do what @michigandergirl recommends!

I've had lots of tight/strained back issues (not disk or nerve). For me, it's the sacroiliac joint that usually is the issue. Walking and running do not seem to aggravate the issue and actually make it better.

ATTQOTD: I 5th (approximately) yoga. Simple things like knees to chest, cat-cow, child pose, cobra pose to start off with. Then maybe work in some rotation: one knee to the chest and 'windshield wiper' it', both knees to one side, etc. Not professional advice. Ignore this and just do what @michigandergirl recommends!

I've had lots of tight/strained back issues (not disk or nerve). For me, it's the sacroiliac joint that usually is the issue. Walking and running do not seem to aggravate the issue and actually make it better.

Yes, I should have mentioned a 4th cause: sacroiliac joint dysfunction. The pose I mentioned above is great for that too, especially if you can let your knees rest together against themselves with your feet wider.

I have a gear question: Is there a reason you would go with a vest over a jacket for winter running? I do not particularly remember my core being cold during a run last Jan/Feb, but maybe only because I was distracted by cold butt/legs/nose/eyeballs.
Another gear question: I have a pair of fleece leggings. I could not fit a second pair of leggings over the top. Do you layer some other style of pants over the top or just find thicker pants?

I wouldn't add a layer over the jacket. If I was still cold a few mile into a run with a jacket I'd add layers under. I usually add a tight fitting base layer, then a long sleeve technical shirt, then the jacket if it gets down around 0. I don't really layer pants, I just get something a bit thicker if I need to. If you were to layer I'd go the same way. Tight fitting base layer then slightly looser insulated layer.

QOTD: With dog stuff on my mind lately it's only natural that todays question will include your pet. I realize not everyone has a pet, so todays question may not pertain to you. If you have a pet that can, do you take it for runs or walks? If so how far have you gone with it?

Sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. We have had to put down two over the last 4 years and it is always hard. All our dogs are rescues so in the past we just had a best guess for them. The two we put down were Husky/GSD litter mates. Our current guy was listed as an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix but we did the DNA test to see what he actually was. Turns out he is also Husky (likely red Husky) and GSD with Australian Cattle Dog and Lab thrown in. Some pics:

Sam01_Edit.jpg

Sam02_Edit.jpg

Sam03_Edit.jpg

We do between a 1 and 3 mile walk with him most days and have taken him running (including my wife running a few 5Ks with him) but that isn't the norm.

I would go talk to a physio. I have a local one I've seen a few times and once because I keep re-injuring the lumbar area of my back. He said my problem isn't really the back but complimentary muscles that that my lower back was compensating for.

He have me some stretches to do, mostly dealing with my quads/sciatic and told me to do some single leg leg presses and dead lifts to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings. I also foam roll every day and do some hanstring work with a lacrosse ball.

Back injury? For the next seven days do the following and only the following:

1. Find a place to rest that is easy on your back and within proximity to the largest television in your house. If in need of a large television please request an early Christmas and have your spouse purchase the same to include setup;
2. Do not move from your comfortable spot unless mandated by necessary bodily functions. Your spouse should accept all household responsibilities including child care, cleaning, cooking, laundry and general holiday preparation;
3. Watch football and whatever is on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu;
4. Drink moderate amounts of liquor (necessary for pain management and relaxation);

Disclosure: This plan is likely to lead to complete recovery. However, it is recommended that you research qualified divorce attorneys as rigid adherence to the plan may subject you to legal action.

Catching up after a week off. @LSUlakes sorry to hear about Dixie.

I absolutely love animals. We currently have two cats as we do not have a schedule conducive to a dog. Our cats enjoy racing at 4:30 AM, much to our displeasure. The orange cat is Hocus and the black and white one is Charlie. I am not allowed to volunteer at the animal shelter as my husband is terrified I would come home with a new animal every day.

Attachments

• 7A4FE15B-94DE-43A8-A1D9-07A672641C4A.jpeg
    7A4FE15B-94DE-43A8-A1D9-07A672641C4A.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 6
  • E5165EED-8717-4A5D-8D95-92B1E4C68ADE.jpeg
    E5165EED-8717-4A5D-8D95-92B1E4C68ADE.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6
Back injury? For the next seven days do the following and only the following:

1. Find a place to rest that is easy on your back and within proximity to the largest television in your house. If in need of a large television please request an early Christmas and have your spouse purchase the same to include setup;
2. Do not move from your comfortable spot unless mandated by necessary bodily functions. Your spouse should accept all household responsibilities including child care, cleaning, cooking, laundry and general holiday preparation;
3. Watch football and whatever is on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu;
4. Drink moderate amounts of liquor (necessary for pain management and relaxation);

Disclosure: This plan is likely to lead to complete recovery. However, it is recommended that you research qualified divorce attorneys as rigid adherence to the plan may subject you to legal action.

While this plan seems ideal for me, it would not go well on the home front as you have warned. I do believe that the simple task of getting the kiddos a bath my prove to be beyond my ability today.

For those talking about yoga, I hate it!!! But will try it in a day or two. This years marathon may actually be the worse idea ever now lol.

@LSUlakes So sorry about Dixie! This is so hard. I lost Accio's (my cat) brother Firebolt last year (he was 16). It is never easy. Dixie had a great life though and is waiting at the rainbow bridge. Hugs.

Dixie had a great life though and is waiting at the rainbow bridge. Hugs.

I appreciate your comment, but I just wanted to clarify that she is still with us for the time being. I realize that, at times, some of the things I type do not come across as clearly as they are in my head. Nothing to worry about I just wanted to clear things up in case someone else thought the same.

I appreciate your comment, but I just wanted to clarify that she is still with us for the time being. I realize that, at times, some of the things I type do not come across as clearly as they are in my head. Nothing to worry about I just wanted to clear things up in case someone else thought the same.

Oh I am so sorry for my confusion, and very glad this is still the case.

ATTQOTD: I'm not enjoying this aging thing.

Aging can pound sand. I am hating it right now. I ran last night and I think I tore my left again now again. It hurts in the same spot and it is throbbing. I have an appointment on 1/3/19 to get my right ankle looked at and MRI ordered. I am frustrated beyond belief right now.

My question is: is a week sufficient for a half marathon taper? Is it a bad idea to put a 10 miler on my calendar 7 days before my first half? That is the farthest I have run yet, and am fine with that, but I do not have many opportunities to commit 2 hours to running
I had a one week taper before Avengers 2017. I came up with the insane idea of deciding to run that thing 3 weeks before the race with not having run at all in 6 weeks and no significant distance in 7 months. I literally had no time to build up to a proper taper as the ideal taper would have begun one week after I started training. I spent my traditional taper period trying to feverishly build up my base enough to fight through to the finish line.

My last long run was around 10 miles and took place one week before the race. I also spent 2 of those taper days in Disneyland. So it can be done. That said, I think it's better to have a longer taper. I enjoy training much more when I have easier weeks mixed in with harder weeks as I feel much less burnout and don't feel like every single weekend is dominated by the long run. At least in the case of half marathons, I enjoy the taper as a time to reduce the mileage and prepare for the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter