The Running Thread - 2018

I want to thank everyone for your comments and stories over the last few days. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's pet picks and stories as well. Lots of smiles seeing so many happy pets! Prior to learning about whats happening to Dixie we talked about getting another dog when she passes one day and I told DW I wanted to a dog that would make me feel guilty for not taking it out for a run, and also would make life difficult if I did not. Doing research a while back I discovered just the dog. A German Shorthaired Pointer, and to specific the Liver Roan color pattern is my preference. I also liked the idea of having one in case I got back into duck hunting. A few years ago when I actually researched them a bit I also noticed the price tag for one :scared1:. It doesn't feel right to look anything up on them now so I have no idea what that market looks like though.

They are such beautiful dogs. My buddy has one and I liked it. For a few years we lived in the same neighborhood and he got his as puppy and named him Roux. He would come over to hangout and Dixie and Roux played great together. It was funny watching him grow because at first Dixie would get the better of him. As he aged Dixie couldn't hang with him anymore. Good memories! I looked into a while back and they are also great running dogs. My buddies dog seems to suffer from extreme separation anxiety, is that something you've experienced? Another funny thought. They ordered a large kennel for him, but until it came they kept him in their bathroom. They day it was delivered his wife walked into a house with water everywhere. He tore up the TP in the sink and also managed to turn the water on, which flooded a good portion of the house.

Certain breeds do cost a pretty penny but what you are paying for is the health testing the breeders should do and the knowledge that your dog will always be taken care of no matter what. A good breeder would always accept a dog back to make sure their dogs are taken care of and hopefully they have done more with than dogs than just confirmation showing as you want a well rounded lineage. They should ask a ton of questions about you as well. (If you can't tell, I did a ton of research before we selected a breeder as I didn't want to support a puppy mill or backyard breeder) Hope you get your German Shorthaired Pointer, even if you have to wait a bit.

We got a Rhodesian because we wanted a dog to run with and could survive our weather in Florida. They are dogs needing a certain type of owner that can deal with its stubborn behavior. You can't alpha roll them into submission! Somehow our cocker spaniel still keeps him in line despite being all of 40 lbs and a third of his height. It is funny seeing the two of them together as the cocker spaniel fits underneath him perfectly.

They do love to play! We started him in the crate from the day he joined our home at 8 weeks and we had him at puppy school right at 10 weeks for socialization and training. He's pretty much been at school once or twice a week every since then, except for right now since he's sick and he's earned three titles so far - Canine Good Citizen, Trick Novice and Trick Intermediate. We're working on Rally now. We haven't had separation anxiety at all. We started leaving him out of the crate during the day at 7 months confined to the living room/kitchen and he's well behaved although he does sometimes lock us out of our house (the door coming in from the garage) but we've learned to keep a key in our wallet after a couple trips through the doggy door. He usually sleeps in the crate at night and walks himself in but lately he's been in bed with us more.

Puppy Tax:

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 9.27.34 PM.png

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: We have an English Bulldog (see avatar pic), so any kind of significant walking with him is right out, much less running. We found out early on that his walking limit is ~1 mile. Just a little past that and he registers his dissatisfaction by laying down in the grass and refusing to budge until he's had sufficient rest (in his mind). There have been a number of times that I've had to pick him up and carry him home. I think I've carried him as far as half a mile before. Not super easy given that even though he's relatively compact he still weighs ~60 lbs.
We also have an English bulldog and she taps out at the 10 yard dash! Pumpkin often decides our neighbors’ houses are much more convenient and we need to just end our walk right then.
156C23E1-9466-44F9-B772-145A4BD06A58.jpeg

@LSUlakes - I’m not doing the Kiawah Half after all. My run buddies got other offers, so not worth the travel solo.

@LSUlakes I am so sorry the second diagnosis did not provide a better outcome. But I do hope for your family and DIxie to have months of of happy times and memories to keep!

ATYQOTD: My favorite thing I have gotten from a race were the hoodie and first belt buckle I got for the 50 miler I ran last summer. I love the sweatshirt!

ATTQOTD: I have two cats. They would make miserable running partners but are wonderful little fur children that keep my daughters very happy!

75EF589B-3074-4847-964D-8B8674A99F2B.jpeg
74776649-381F-4FC3-A09E-FF617D2C917A.jpeg

Loving all these furbabies!

Here are mine - both rescues. Never did runs with them. Little one liked to zigzag to smell everything and was scared of big dogs. The bigger dog started to get aggressive with large dogs despite lots of socialization and goes crazy for squirrels. But I did go on short off leash jogs with them in a private canyon behind our old place. Also used to hike mountains and long walks on the beach with them.

NiH6mF

enhance

The little one I put down a few months ago and was completely devastated. We got her after we got married and she’s been with us through 2 kiddos. Today would have been her 12th birthday.

If you need a book to help with your kids I highly recommend Big Cat, Little Cat. We got it at my son’s book fair a few weeks ago not knowing the plot, but it’s beautiful and simple and actually helped ME deal with my grief. Bonus is that the baby loves it.

My Rottie never liked to run for the sake of running, but she would chase deer like there was no tomorrow. Her favorite running, though, was in the agility ring where she was #1 in the breed for several years and finished in the top 15 overall at the national championship.

IMG_0798.JPG

QOTD: With dog stuff on my mind lately it's only natural that todays question will include your pet. I realize not everyone has a pet, so todays question may not pertain to you. If you have a pet that can, do you take it for runs or walks? If so how far have you gone with it?

ATTQOTD: I tried several times to take Dixie out for runs. Being a beagle I figured she could handle anywhere from 1-4 miles. Well that was a disaster lol. She would run for maybe 50 yards and then pick up a scent that she had to investigate. So our runs turned into short sprints and stops. She does the same when walking as well.

No pets for me. My son is allergic. I always wanted a dog and if it could get one there are a few breeds I would like. Maybe when he gets older and moves on to college.

Speaking of years end, I looked back on how many pages the previous years had got to. The first two years were very close with 652 and 651. With 3 weeks left to go we are at 711 today. It looks like this year was a good year with new posters contributing and I recall a lot of talk about best beers, wines, pizzas, tea, ect lol. Thanks to everyone who reads and post!

I bet we get to 750+. Maybe we can get to 800 next year.

Topic change: I have a question. What does a typical race day at Disney look like? Meaning - what should I expect, make sure I do/get, etc? I know we get up crazy early to catch the bus. But what should I be sure and check out when I get there? Characters? Make sure I visit a potty? Huddle up in the corrals?

And what about when I finish? What is the first thing I need to do after crossing the finish line? I've seen/read that there's characters; something about snack boxes; possibly pay for massages in a tent???

I'm well known for running a race, getting my medal, grabbing some water and a banana or pop tart, and then leaving. I don't want to do this if there are fun things I need to checkout first.
The only thing different than local races is that there are characters before and after so if that's your thing, definitely get in those lines. Depending when you arrive beforehand there may be very little wait or a really long line.

After you finish the volunteers will hand you your medal and snacks. If you want a character photo get in one of those lines right away. Last year, Mickey had a really long line when I finished but Minnie had no line so I just skipped Mickey altogether.

The funny thing is that I'm not sure what causes the dog problem. Some breeds I can be around with no problem. I may not want them to snuggle up close to me as that can inflame allergies, but they can lie at my feet all they want. Yet other breeds are problematic simply by being in the same room as them for longer than 15 minutes. I'm not sure what the specific issue is just that it exists.
Same here. I'm at least mildly allergic to all dogs, and, in particular, a protein found in their saliva. One lick on my skin and I break out in hives. But there have been dogs with whom I literally can't share a room for more than 10 minutes, even if they keep their distance (my ex in-laws' Australian Cattle Dogs being the worst, bar none - nearly wound up at the ER with an asthma attack!), and others whose homes I've stayed in for a few days and been mostly okay (my friends' American Bulldogs.) I've had friends insist that their dogs are "hypoallergenic" (shih-tzu) and Iv'e still reacted. It's a total crapshoot!

Topic change: I have a question. What does a typical race day at Disney look like? Meaning - what should I expect, make sure I do/get, etc? I know we get up crazy early to catch the bus. But what should I be sure and check out when I get there? Characters? Make sure I visit a potty? Huddle up in the corrals?
A lot depends on the person, but my pre-race morning looks like this:
Up 1.25 hours before departure to eat, dress, foam roll/stretch, drive to race.
Upon arrival, hit a porta-potty, then head to a meet-up with my running group.
Hang out there to chat a bit, take pics, relax, then head to corrals.
Get in another porta-potty line.
Get into corral, eat 2nd breakfast an hour before I expect to start.

And what about when I finish? What is the first thing I need to do after crossing the finish line? I've seen/read that there's characters; something about snack boxes; possibly pay for massages in a tent???
You'll be directed by volunteers and rD personnel through the finish chute to get your medal, water/Powerade, snack box/banana, and finisher pics. After that, you'll exit the finish area and be in the big area with a DJ, character pics, food trucks, etc. Some folks stay and enjoy the festivities, but I prefer to get back to my resort to start my recovery routine.

Getting caught up late on yesterday’s QOTD, but couldn’t resist posting a couple pictures of my best pal, McFly:
9F3778E9-6ACD-47D9-BEC6-9D82589C4451.jpeg
61DDE6E5-31C8-4514-BEC0-309A82034CFB.jpeg

He’s a pretty good running companion, but he gets distracted pretty easily. Takes about a half mile for him to figure out we aren’t stopping to inspect every stray leaf.

The first picture is him in his natural element, the second is from a couple days ago in his less favored role as head LEGO consultant. I think he questions how much he brings to the table in that role, but I know he’s an invaluable resource.

My Rottie never liked to run for the sake of running, but she would chase deer like there was no tomorrow. Her favorite running, though, was in the agility ring where she was #1 in the breed for several years and finished in the top 15 overall at the national championship.

View attachment 368766
There are a couple of people who run rotties up here, I am always amazed watching them because they are so BIG. :) They always look like they are having a blast though.

Here are my fur babies! Indy is the black and white and Winky is the one in the pretty dress. They can be good for about half a mile if they're focused, but they prefer to get their exercising from playing tag with each other.

IMG_20151205_140233.jpg IMG_20151205_140008.jpg

@LSUlakes I'm so sorry to hear about Dixie.
I actually had a German short haired pointer Australian cattle dog mix growing up. Someone bred both and there was an "accident" so they sold off the puppies cheap. That dog was tough to train until she turned 3, then like magic she was an angel! She was my running partner for many years and was amazing. I highly recommend the breed... After they grow up. :lmao:

QOTD: With dog stuff on my mind lately it's only natural that todays question will include your pet. I realize not everyone has a pet, so todays question may not pertain to you. If you have a pet that can, do you take it for runs or walks? If so how far have you gone with it?

YES! We have two dogs and two cats. Sadly one of our dogs is 13 years old and cannot run with me anymore. However, our other dog (a border collie/Austrian shepherd mix) LOOOOOOOVES running. he loves it so much that even if I put a pair of shorts on, he gets all excited thinking it is run time! It is very rare that I run without him. The farthest I think I've even ran with him is 12 or 17 miles, but he still does 10- 12 milers with me.

I'm well known for running a race, getting my medal, grabbing some water and a banana or pop tart, and then leaving. I don't want to do this if there are fun things I need to checkout first.

Here's my timing from 2018 weekend.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 10.40.03 AM.png

There are characters before the start of the race. They do cut the line off around the time they want people heading to the corrals. So maybe like 4:00-4:15 is when the characters leave (so possibly lines stop earlier). But I'm not positive on the timing there. The walk to corrals opens at 4:00-4:15am. Whether you want to get to the corrals early is a personal preference. Some people enjoy sitting in their car longer on a cold morning, and others like to be towards the front of their corral when it has 4000-7000 people in it. If you want front of corral, then you'll want to be in the holding area (orange X on below map) when the walk to corrals open around 4:00-4:15am.

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.14.42 AM.png

Every year they have a row of pottys right where you are held for walking to the corrals and right when you can see the corrals after the walk to them. Only in 2017 did they have a row of pottys actually right in-between the corrals which was a luxury. So I'd time that out as well depending on when you intend on heading to and getting in the corrals.

Once you cross the finish line, you'll just follow the flow of people. You'll get a mylar blanket, medal, water, gatorade, pictures, snack box, banana, gear check, and then exit to the main stage area. There you can get food, buy merchandise, or get more pictures with characters. They also have the massage tent and medical center around those areas as well.

I miss having a dog... Buddy passed away 4-5 years ago now. He was a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, lab mix. He barked a lot and had operation anxiety very bad but he was great with people.

In terms of getting new dog I am very pro adoption from humane societies or shelters. There are so many dogs in need of good homes that going to a breeder is not something I would ever look into.

Ugh, my boss is on vacation (I'm her backup) and everyone picked today to have emergencies for me to handle! So came on here to look at all the cute pup/kitty pictures to cheer me up!

And my postponed race was rescheduled for January 12th! Now I just have to figure out how to keep my training up without running at all between now and January 1st, lol! That was my plan as we are doing a massive home remodel between now and then and I promised DH that I wouldn't be running after this race until after New Years so we can go straight home from work every day and work on the house. :confused3

My question is: is a week sufficient for a half marathon taper? Is it a bad idea to put a 10 miler on my calendar 7 days before my first half? That is the farthest I have run yet, and am fine with that, but I do not have many opportunities to commit 2 hours to running :( To be precise, I have 3 possible dates, and I am not sure I can stomach the predicted weather for one of those tomorrow. My goal is 'finish and feel good afterwards so I can go to the parks!' so I am not sure the 10 mile run is necessary, but I am more concerned as to it being detrimental.
Thanks for your input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts