The Running Thread - 2018

My first marathon was my best running experience to date. I went into it severely undertrained due to injury. I’d never run further than 13.1 either in training or race conditions and my pace was limited due to the conditions of my rehab. That being said, I loved the whole experience and that positive was what hooked me on the marathon distance.

It is not horrible the entire 26.2 miles, so don't be scared. I had probably two miles worth of misery due to heat and unexpected hills, but crossing that finish line was so worth. Having your first be at Disney will make it even more worth it!

Here, I'll fix that right up: I had a STELLAR first marathon experience! Honestly. Were there difficult patches? Sure. But in my book, deciding at mile 25 that you 100% want to do this thing again goes down as a "good" marathon! And honestly, my 2nd and 3rd marathons were equally good, if not better. It's definitely not all bad news

Sorry about that. I can assure you (and @Sleepless Knight )that the marathon I ran at Disney World was the BEST marathon experience I have ever had. The crowds, the course, the castle, the character stops, the choir, it's truly a magical experience. I am trying to get Mrs. Slogger to run a marathon and I told her WDW is the best place to do it.

Thanks gang!! I'll try to stay positive- control what we can control, right?

ATTQOTD: Fitting. So, on Saturday I did my local Turkey Trot. The course is always short, this time is was no exception. My Garmin called it at 3.05, so close but not quite a 5k. And while they didn't have a legit chip timer, they were timing it and this was my fastest 5k. But since I didn't run the full distance according to my watch I don't really count it for a PR. As for other more sanctioned races, I go by chip time because GPS can be wonky.

ATTQOTD: Chip time always. My watch is usually +- 2 sec compared to the chip, due to mat and finger delay, but I usually just leave Garmin Connect/Strava alone

This made me wonder. Does anyone think about your PR based on age group categories and not just lifetime? Or pre/ post major injuries?
Interesting point... I have been in the same AG since I started running but will change next year... Does that mean I can reset all PR? Or have a set of AG PR so I can feel good about myself as I get older? I like that! Basically, it gives recurring five years windows for improvement!

ATTQOTD weather vs feelings: The hardest part of my runs is stopping whatever I am doing and getting out of the door. Weather is rarely an excuse, unless dangerous (Lightning, lots of ice, -40). Other than that I adapt and take the best of it.

ATTQOTD timing: Chip time.

meb.jpg Philly shirt.jpg philly medal.JPG

Look...It's MEB holding the airhorn next to the guy with the microphone!!

PHILADELPHIA HALF MARATHON/November 17th/Recap Goal: 2 hours Actual Finish: 1:56:18

Drove to Philly Friday afternoon. Checked in to hotel and walked 10 blocks to expo at Convention Center.
Picked up dinner and stayed in for the night. Not able to sleep.

Saturday morning was cold in the mid 30s but clear.
Start line was 1.8 miles from hotel. Briefly considered an UBER but decided to cover the distance with a warm up jog.
About 1/3 of the way there I hear screaming and honking from a school bus. They are yelling for me to join them on the bus for a warm comfy ride to the start line.
Happy to comply, I rode the rest of the way on the bus.

Security lines were long but moved quickly. I started in the 4th corral. Had hoped to meet @sourire before the race but I got there too late. She texted me that Meb was at the start. He was blowing the airhorn for each wave. As my wave was moving through the start area I saw him and he gave me a high five and big smile. Thanks Meb.

My goal for the race was less than 2 hours. I started a minute behind the 2 hour pacers and caught them quickly. I decided to stay with them for the first 8 miles. Good thing I did, the race starts on Benjamin Franklin Parkway and goes right into the city and those tall buildings really did a number on my Garmin. Thank goodness the pacers kept us on track.
My achilles and glutes were hurting but never flared up and I had no issues maintaining pace.

At the 8 mile mark, I knew I was a minute ahead of schedule and wanted to improve. I thanked the pacers and started running 8:40-8:50 miles until mile 12 and 13 when I ran 8:08 and 8:09 pace. Never felt like I was overdoing it or pushing. Finished in 1:56:18, a new PR for me with a mini reverse split!

Great Liberty Bell finisher medal and mylar blanket. The race shirt was nice too, long sleeved with a map of the course on the back.

Met @sourire after the finish (she had a good run too!). Always nice to meet someone from the Running Thread and disboards family.

Quick thoughts:
The half marathon course is really interesting and fun. It runs right through the city, directly in front of Rittenhouse Square, Independence Hall, South Street, and other historic areas. Most of the course is flat with a minimal but steady uphill at mile 8 and another at mile 11ish. The crowd support was amazing. People were jammed on both sides of the street SCREAMING their support. Signs, music, djs, bands, cheerleaders, drummers, beer..... they had it all. The energy and support were the best I've seen at a race in a long time.

The 3 pacers in my pace group were fantastic. Friendly, supportive, helpful.
The amount of runners on the course was mind boggling. Every time I looked ahead or behind it was a steady stream of runners.
The water stops were plentiful but hectic, especially the one under the bridge at mile 6.
Important to watch your footing on the streets with the manhole covers, potholes, cobblestones, trolley tracks, etc.
The weather was perfect. 39 degrees at start, partly cloudy, minimal wind, and low 40s at finish.
Special thanks to @DopeyBadger for creating a plan for me a few years ago that I still use today. This was one of those runs when everything felt good and I know I still have room to improve. Thanks Billy!

All around good day!

ATTQOTD: chip time although I do like having my Garmin time/distance.

Since it's holiday time and family members are asking for my Amazon wish list, I need to make sure there are things on there! What are some running related things you all are hoping to get for the holidays?

Socks! And I’ll probably get another pair of shoes for Marathon Weekend. We are pretty terrible with gifts though especially when it comes to things that are “needed”. I’ll probably get things during the Black Friday sales then ask for random stuff like more socks and tailwind.

This made me wonder. Does anyone think about your PR based on age group categories and not just lifetime? Or pre/ post major injuries?

I have started to try to use this as a way not to get too fixated on absolute time and inevitable declining performance (I turn 60 in another week). There are age grade calculators out there, so if I race, I look at my time post race and see where it falls vis a vis past performance. Of course, I COULD just give up the idea of racing and run for fun, but that's not my thing (yet).

Since it's holiday time and family members are asking for my Amazon wish list, I need to make sure there are things on there! What are some running related things you all are hoping to get for the holidays?

I am buying myself a Vivoactive 3 Friday when Best Buy puts them on sale for $200 (or my DH work link to Garmin for $189--but they are backordered)

This Maine trip has really thrown me for a loop with my training. My first stop was at my IL's. They live in the middle of nowhere on dirt roads. Well, those snow covered dirt roads were so pretty until I discovered they were sheets of ice underneath the powder. It was like running on a slip n' slide. I ended up driving 90 minutes in one direction to get to a gym with a treadmill for my long run. Thank goodness for Starbucks for the ride back. Today I'm back in civilization. Sort of. There is NO TOWN ORDINANCE to keep sidewalks free of snow and ice. Seriously, it's snowing and elderly people are walking in the roads with their walkers. WTH??? It's flurrying and I was looking forward to running in it until I discovered I'd have to run in the streets.

I loved my first marathon. I got to run with some of my training buddies, had our coaches pop up for encouragement along the way, and never hit the wall. Y second one is the one I didn't really enjoy all that much.

Same here. My first marathon was during my first Goofy, 2011, the year of perfect weather. I was fairly well trained, didn't know what to expect, got lucky with the perfect weather, and took it at a nice pace. My goals were to finish and run the whole way, which I accomplished. I felt/looked so good, when I saw my family around mile 19, my SIL asked if I had cheated and taken the bus.

2nd marathon at Rocket City, I thought I knew what I was doing, did a way too fast first half, and the wheels fell off around 15-16. So my advice: first time out, DO NOT have a pace goal, finishing is your goal. Expect the best, plan for the worst, but absolutely positively believe you will finish.

QOTD: Chip time, if available. If not, gun time. I ignore time/PRs on the watch, other than reporting preliminary results here and to the DW.

View attachment 366315 View attachment 366317 View attachment 366318

Look...It's MEB holding the airhorn next to the guy with the microphone!!

PHILADELPHIA HALF MARATHON/November 17th/Recap Goal: 2 hours Actual Finish: 1:56:18

Drove to Philly Friday afternoon. Checked in to hotel and walked 10 blocks to expo at Convention Center.
Picked up dinner and stayed in for the night. Not able to sleep.

Saturday morning was cold in the mid 30s but clear.
Start line was 1.8 miles from hotel. Briefly considered an UBER but decided to cover the distance with a warm up jog.
About 1/3 of the way there I hear screaming and honking from a school bus. They are yelling for me to join them on the bus for a warm comfy ride to the start line.
Happy to comply, I rode the rest of the way on the bus.

Security lines were long but moved quickly. I started in the 4th corral. Had hoped to meet @sourire before the race but I got there too late. She texted me that Meb was at the start. He was blowing the airhorn for each wave. As my wave was moving through the start area I saw him and he gave me a high five and big smile. Thanks Meb.

My goal for the race was less than 2 hours. I started a minute behind the 2 hour pacers and caught them quickly. I decided to stay with them for the first 8 miles. Good thing I did, the race starts on Benjamin Franklin Parkway and goes right into the city and those tall buildings really did a number on my Garmin. Thank goodness the pacers kept us on track.
My achilles and glutes were hurting but never flared up and I had no issues maintaining pace.

At the 8 mile mark, I knew I was a minute ahead of schedule and wanted to improve. I thanked the pacers and started running 8:40-8:50 miles until mile 12 and 13 when I ran 8:08 and 8:09 pace. Never felt like I was overdoing it or pushing. Finished in 1:56:18, a new PR for me with a mini reverse split!

Great Liberty Bell finisher medal and mylar blanket. The race shirt was nice too, long sleeved with a map of the course on the back.

Met @sourire after the finish (she had a good run too!). Always nice to meet someone from the Running Thread and disboards family.

Quick thoughts:
The half marathon course is really interesting and fun. It runs right through the city, directly in front of Rittenhouse Square, Independence Hall, South Street, and other historic areas. Most of the course is flat with a minimal but steady uphill at mile 8 and another at mile 11ish. The crowd support was amazing. People were jammed on both sides of the street SCREAMING their support. Signs, music, djs, bands, cheerleaders, drummers, beer..... they had it all. The energy and support were the best I've seen at a race in a long time.

The 3 pacers in my pace group were fantastic. Friendly, supportive, helpful.
The amount of runners on the course was mind boggling. Every time I looked ahead or behind it was a steady stream of runners.
The water stops were plentiful but hectic, especially the one under the bridge at mile 6.
Important to watch your footing on the streets with the manhole covers, potholes, cobblestones, trolley tracks, etc.
The weather was perfect. 39 degrees at start, partly cloudy, minimal wind, and low 40s at finish.
Special thanks to @DopeyBadger for creating a plan for me a few years ago that I still use today. This was one of those runs when everything felt good and I know I still have room to improve. Thanks Billy!

All around good day!

Congrats! Solid day as you crushed your goal time. Hold on to that feeling of when everything feels good. It's one of those rare unicorn runs where the peak aligns with race day perfectly and it feels like you can do no wrong. I've got a few more tricks up my sleeves versus back then when I wrote that last plan. So let me know if you're looking for something new and exciting. Always trying to stay on top of my game.

ATTQOTD: Always chip time. In April, my FitBit claimed that I ran less than 13.1 miles. My First Order Challenge medal which I had to finish the Half to earn proves I ran 13.1.

Even if you finish last you are still a marathon finisher. Not too many people in the world can claim that title.
Thanks. It's also why my goal is finish.

Apparently finishing last at a Disney race is a big deal.
I almost want to finish last because of the craziness. Kind of like Mr. Irrelevant in the NFL Draft. The key though is almost. But finish. That's the key.

And at Disney they also set off the confetti cannons for the last runner, so its kind of cool to be last at Disney. But yes, to finish a marathon whether you are first or last is nothing to be ashamed of. There are A LOT of people who sign up with the intention of getting swept just to get the medal and say they did it.
While I'm not attempting to reignite the medal if you didn't finish debate, I will say this. I'm very glad that I did not know that everyone got a medal even if they were swept. Because the start of my very first race was miserable with intense shin splint like pain. I knew I could not continue like that so I slowed down to a relatively pain free pace. If I had known that I would still get the medal if I withdrew, I fear I would have done so, and limped back to my hotel room to go back to bed. I would have the medal and know that running is a great thing for many people, but not for me.

And when runDisney announced Star Wars themed races, I know that I would have said "oh that would be so cool, but I can't run because I already failed at attempting to run." I would have missed out on so much.

I agree completely with this. I don't know a single person that really had a "good" first marathon experience during the race. No matter how bad it gets mentally crossing that line makes it worth it. Maybe not right away but in retrospect. Even my friend that runs in the low 2:30's had a terrible first marathon experience. Mentally preparing for that inevitability is as important (IMO) as getting in the miles.
I think mental preparation is critical to success.

OK- Just when I was feeling pretty good about my marathon training, I am now terrified.
So thanks for the "no one has a good marathon" talk...
Honestly, while that kind of talk also scares me, I strive to view it as another component of mental preparation. I think about developing strategies for what to do when difficulties arise during the race so I'm not trying to figure them out on race day. Races feel so much better when I have a plan in place for coping if race day turns out to be not what I dreamed of.

Sorry about that. I can assure you (and @Sleepless Knight )that the marathon I ran at Disney World was the BEST marathon experience I have ever had. The crowds, the course, the castle, the character stops, the choir, it's truly a magical experience. I am trying to get Mrs. Slogger to run a marathon and I told her WDW is the best place to do it.
I'm looking forward to the choir and getting to run by Cinderella Castle. Not sure it will top running through Sleeping Beauty Castle since Disneyland is "home" as it were, but still something to really look forward to.

Thanks gang!! I'll try to stay positive- control what we can control, right?
I love this. There is so much we can control.

So my advice: first time out, DO NOT have a pace goal, finishing is your goal. Expect the best, plan for the worst, but absolutely positively believe you will finish.
At my speed, finishing is always the goal. But I appreciate reminders to stay focused on the finish line goal.

ATTQOTD: For my official time, I donalways ise the chip time. I do like tracking it myself as well though, since I don’t run the margins well. That way I can see how much distance I actually cover.

Trying to catch up over here! Crazy couple of days. Firstly, congratulations to all of the runners this past weekend! Loved reading your recaps, as always. I'm still working on my Philly Half recap, but it's coming soon, I promise! So great to meet @Slogger post-race and share in the excitement of our PRs (spoiler alert)! Congrats again - you totally crushed it!!

Wanted to chime in re: 1st marathon experiences. I loved mine too!!!! As has been mentioned by others, I wasn't going in with any kind of time goal, and I ran it at a pace somewhere in between long run and marathon tempo, but it was truly a wonderful run and an amazing experience in WDW in January. My mom-in-law saw me just before mile 25, and she continues to remark that she couldn't believe my energy and the "pep in my step" at that point in the race. Yes, there were mental gymnastics between miles 18-20ish, and feel free to read about those in the testimonial section of @DopeyBadger's training journal, but all of the worries and fears I had going into it really didn't come to pass at all. (I also think this was somehow part of DB's plot...like we'll make this plan, so she doesn't get burned out training for it and then enjoys the marathon so much that she'll want to do another.) :D

ATTQOTD: Chip time. I love looking at instagram after races and seeing all the "the course was long so my real time was XX:XX" captions even though they only overtracked by .1 or .2 lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter