The Running Thread - 2018

For me, the Hokas were too narrow. I need a wide toebox. The narrowness of the shoe plus the stack height made me feel like I was going to roll my ankles running in them. That's how I ended up in Altras.

This is good to know! I have wide feet, but can generally fit in a normal width shoe. I'll have to pay attention to how the toebox feels to see if it feels too tight for me.
And yeah, the stack height is definitely going to be an adjustment.

I love my Hokas. I wear Arahi 2s and love them. I switched over from an OLD version of Adrenalines and I own Ghosts that I use for mainly walking once i realized they hurt to run in. When I finally got fitted the Arahis are what I walked out with.

The only negative I've noticed is that I seem to rub through the material on the side and heel fairly quickly. I have odd feet and ankles so I'm not sure if it is because of my feet, the fit, or what. Aside from that they are the most comfortable shoe I have ever run in.

ETA I find the color choices to be lacking. Not much variety.

I saw two color choices - but I wasn't sure if that was just what they had in stock or if that was all the colors they make. I'm not in love with the idea of a lack of variety, but I suppose I'll survive. Thanks for the heads up.
I got teal-ish ones - the guy at the running store recommended a little mermaid costume to go with the shoes.
... But that was before I remembered that I was planning on doing Minnie Mouse for the marathon
So if I end up liking these shoes, I have a serious conundrum

Hoka people! I know Hoka One One shoes are different than many other brands. Is there anything you wish you had known before you started running in them? Advice for someone who is new to the Hoka brand?
For people who tried Hoka shoes and didn't like them - was there something about them you didn't like? Or was it just a general feel/fit situation?
(Specifically, I'm trying out the Bondi 6, but I'm interested in general Hoka advice as well. I thought they were okay in store, but knew I couldn't make a decision on them until I actually took them out for a run. I'm switching over from New Balance.)

TIA!

I put them on in the store. They were very cushiony so I could see the appeal but I felt like I had platform shoes on. I personally already have issues picking up my feet and not tripping, this just seemed like a whole new challenge to that.

Have you considered “on the cloud” I think that is the name. They are supposed to have a lot of cushion too but they did not have quite the platform height.

Also like others, I don't count it as a PR if the course is short, which really stinks sometimes.

Wow, that is strict. I basically ignore the watch time/distance: if the course is long I use official time, not the watch time at that distance. If the course is short, I would still use the official time and count it as a PR. Almost all of the courses I would attempt a PR on are USATF certified, so unless I cut a corner, it shouldn't be an issue.

Follow-up question: most people said chip time. Am I the only one that runs races that aren't chip timed? Sometimes gun time is all you have. Interesting note: age group awards are often based on gun rather than chip time.

ATTQOTD: This was my question and y'all have made me feel like I am not crazy (or any crazier than I already know I am). Long story short, I have a friend who ran a marathon this weekend and stopped their watch at the 26.2 mark and is using that as their official time. Apparently their tangents were way off, because their chip time is over 5 minutes slower than the PR they are claiming. Either time would be a PR for them so I don't understand the reasoning for the watch time instead of chip time. I realize in the grand scheme of things this is pointless and probably makes me seem petty, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing my own PRs wrong too. LOL. So thank you all for your answers, I use chip time as well.

Also like others, I don't count it as a PR if the course is short, which really stinks sometimes.
I had a kind of friend do this too with a half recently which confused me. They say they have a PR at 13.1 on their watch, but when they crossed the finish line they have a different time because their watch had them well over the 13.1. To me that seems odd & silly to do. I only go by chip time because that's what will be looked at if you use that time for Proof's of time or qualifying time for races. So you are not crazy or alone.

I put them on in the store. They were very cushiony so I could see the appeal but I felt like I had platform shoes on. I personally already have issues picking up my feet and not tripping, this just seemed like a whole new challenge to that.

Have you considered “on the cloud” I think that is the name. They are supposed to have a lot of cushion too but they did not have quite the platform height.

I definitely get that feeling of wearing platforms. It's an interesting shoe for sure.
I saw the On Clouds in the store, but I dont like the design of the sole. We'll see, maybe if I dont liek the hokas I'll try those.

Almost all of the courses I would attempt a PR on are USATF certified, so unless I cut a corner, it shouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately, it can still happen even if you follow the course. There was a large (> 5,000 runners) local 5k a couple years ago that had an issue where it ended up short because of race day execution. I'm sure the course is certified, but the course was changed in 2017 because of some construction going on downtown. There were a lot of PRs that day, but it ended up the course was 2.93 miles. They updated the results to reflect it was not a full 5k.

"Thank you to everyone that participated today. We would like to apologize for an issue that came up regarding the course. During the race we were alerted to an issue with the course being short. We realized that the issue was in the middle of the course and had to do with the turn onto 6th Street. When LMPD put out the barricades, an old version of the course map was mistakenly used and that map showed the course following 6th Street. After the race, the missing portion of the course was measured and it showed that 944 feet had been missed. That brought the total of the course to 2.93. Once the missed distance was measured, the results were edited to reflect the distance, The edit to the distance will update the pace as well. Again our apologies for the issue. We hope that outside of this, today was an enjoyable race for everyone."

Chiming in on the PR take. I use chip time as well. I also will consider a short course still a PR but within reason. I ran a half that was PR at the time but my watch said it was 12.7. I was like nope that is not even close. if it was 12.95 i would have taken it. I argued with my friend about this a lot, he was like its your new PR and i was not having it. I made it official in my next half where i even crushed that time and it was on a 13.1 course.

Hoka people! I know Hoka One One shoes are different than many other brands. Is there anything you wish you had known before you started running in them? Advice for someone who is new to the Hoka brand?
For people who tried Hoka shoes and didn't like them - was there something about them you didn't like? Or was it just a general feel/fit situation?
(Specifically, I'm trying out the Bondi 6, but I'm interested in general Hoka advice as well. I thought they were okay in store, but knew I couldn't make a decision on them until I actually took them out for a run. I'm switching over from New Balance.)

TIA!

I purchased a pair when I had a foot injury. A few things to be aware of IMO with these shoes. They are going to be very different than almost anything you have previously run in. The store I purchased them in told me to run no more than 4 miles in them for a week or two so I could adjust without causing additional injury. They took a while to get used to but are amazing shoes... we kinda. I found that I would only get about 2/3 of the miles out of them, than I would every other shoe I purchased. They are some very comfy shoes though! I wish I had a pair to walk in the parks with.

QOTD: Since today is my Friday with Thanksgiving being tomorrow this will be our fun Friday ummm I mean Wednesday question. For those who celebrate Thanksgiving, what is your favorite part of the day?

ATTQOTD: Being with family that I do not see often. While some of them I could go without, the others I am happy to see. Also another spotlight of the week is black Friday. For those of you going out in there, remember to film the adults acting like children with your phone in the horizontal position. The world thanks you for your efforts.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! safe travels for those getting on the road, and to the men and women who work in industries that do not get off holidays, thank you for providing the services you do.

Agreed, which is why I disagree with their current policy :)

They did this with the marathon ears too. I didn't realize this until recently when someone on FB posted their journey down to wine and dine wearing the ears. This person was swept in the marathon at Dopey. It kind of irks me that Disney doesn't have any distinction (bling wise) for finishers anymore.

This week we have the following people running a race and eating turkey... well maybe not everyone, but a lot:

22 - @disneydaydreamer33 - Thankful Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
22 - @Disney at Heart - Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
22 - @Kazrak - Fountain Hills Turkey Trot 5k (NG / N/A)
22 - @jmasgat - Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot 5 Mi (NG / N/A)
22 - @Sanchez - Charleston Turkey Day 5k (19:59 / N/A)
22 - @HomeiswhereMickeyis - Space Coast Turkey Trot 10k (1:35:00 / N/A)
22 - @Jules76126 - Savage Family Turkey Trot 5K (NG / NA)
22 - @apdebord - Tidewater Striders Turkey Trot 10K (1:09:30 / N/A)
22 - @QueenFernando – Hot to Trot 10k (NG / N/A)
23 - @JulieODC - Richmond (VT) Turkey Trot (NG / N/A)
25 - @beatlecat42 - Space Coast Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to everyone! If anyone needs to add a race or revise a race goal, please let me know. Hope yall have a great weekend and race! I'm looking forward to hearing how yalls race goes.

ATTQOTD:
source.gif

ATTQOTD: On this particular Thanksgiving, I am looking forward to the food and I am making and bringing to my in laws house because everyone else doesn't know how to season their food. I am also looking forward to it being over. #bahumbug

ATTQOTD: This was my question and y'all have made me feel like I am not crazy (or any crazier than I already know I am). Long story short, I have a friend who ran a marathon this weekend and stopped their watch at the 26.2 mark and is using that as their official time. Apparently their tangents were way off, because their chip time is over 5 minutes slower than the PR they are claiming.
Oh, 5 minutes is nothing! I pause at red lights because our signals take 8-10 minutes to cycle and I added nearly 45 minutes of standing around, waiting on lights during a 20-mile training run, lol! My last rD race was a difference of 20+ minutes between chip time and my app time.

TIA!
Once upon a long time ago, I tried the Hoka Kaui and original Clifton... I thought I liked both, but wound up with major, major knee pain. Years later, after accepting that I need a stability shoe, I got the Arahi 2 and I still have them; I make myself run in them once in a while to feel like it wasn't a total waste of money. They're okay for days when I just crave more between me and the road, but that's honestly the only thing I like about them. What I don't like: 1. I had to get a Wide width, which I've never had to do in any other shoe - the forefoot is just so narrow. And even with a wide, it pinches my baby toes. 2. At the same time, I have to cinch the heck out of the laces to get the midfoot and heel to fit. 3. I'm a forefoot striker and the rockered sole feels weird and makes me a bit off-balance on landing. 4. The heel cup is deeper than I want or need, making the collar rub my ankle bones. I fixed that, and offset the rocker sole a bit in the process, by DIY-ing heel lifts out of craft foam. 4. Most days, I want more ground feel. Without that, I tend to land harder, looking for it, if that makes sense. And that winds up making my knees and hips hurt.

ATTQOTD: It's among my least favorite holidays and I prefer to skip it, go to WDW and usher in Christmas instead! But I can't afford WDW this year, so apparently we'll be eating a bunch of food and decorating the house for Christmas instead.

QOTD: Since today is my Friday with Thanksgiving being tomorrow this will be our fun Friday ummm I mean Wednesday question. For those who celebrate Thanksgiving, what is your favorite part of the day?

My favorite part is the days off work. We live a good distance from our families and have decided to rotate holidays. I'm still adjusting to not seeing my parents, siblings, etc. or eating my traditional Thanksgiving feast. TBH, the in-laws aren't as good of cooks. I feel your pain @jennamfeo ! I offered to skip my turkey trot and help in the kitchen but my husband thought that would be insulting since others had already offered... He's not really looking forward to the dinner either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!