The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: For those with races either on marathon weekend or around the same time, how is training going for you so far?
ATTQOTD: it's been okay - I've hit all my long runs, but have been dealing with some ankle issues that necessitated finding new shoes on the fly, which is always challenging for me. I wound up running W&D in a shoe I've never tried, straight out of the box - they were the only ones that felt comfortable, so I figured that was a good enough reason to give 'em a shot! I'm happy to say they WORKED, so hopefully I'll be okay from here on out.

QOTD: For those with races either on marathon weekend or around the same time, how is training going for you so far?

ATTQOTD: I've got a PoT 10k planned for end of the year. Training was going okay until this week, when I suddenly can't run. I'm downwind from the Camp Fire, air quality is fluctuating between 'unhealthy for people with respiratory issues' and 'unhealthy for everyone'. I have asthma, so...I'm not running right now.

ATTQOTD: I’ve been doing really well for the most part. Last week I was experiencing some major burn out but I’m feeling a bit better about everything this week. Even did my run today on the treadmill because of thunderstorms. Last week I’m pretty sure I would have just written it off. Trying to use the mileage to keep myself preoccupied until Christmas when we get DH back.

As I've been complaining about lately, the elevation measurements are fictitious. Someone linked a possible fix for this, but I haven't tried it yet. To me, it's annoying but not a deal-breaker. From what I can tell, the HR and GPS mapping functionality are on par with other Garmin devices.
Hrm, I can't seem to find the link to a fix. The I only know the way to manually fix each run after the fact.

I don't understand why it is always so far off... like why does it always need to be corrected? What good is the barometric altimeter if you're always correcting it?

ATTQOTD: Good. I'm on week 17/18 of a 22 week marathon plan. I stuck with the plan exactly for the first 15 weeks or so. The last couple of weeks, as it's gotten colder and the miles have ramped up (this is peak week), I've slacked off a little. Don't get me wrong: I'm still hitting 35-45 miles a week, just not as many miles as in the plan. No injuries, feeling pretty good, did a 5K much faster than expected a month ago, so all is good.

I don't have a marathon scheduled and am following the plan only because I like being on a plan (DW, not so much). I'm still not sure what the end game is or what I'm going to do once the plan is over. I may have to send up the Badger (Blaser Coaching Services) Signal. I'd like to set 5K/10K/HM PRs in the first quarter of next year.

Anyone having issues with Strava lately? My computer and iphone are both giving me " forbidden" error messages when I try to upload a run.

Help! I don’t know how to dress for this! I was expecting high 30’s low 40’s. Not this.
View attachment 364873

Yes Winter seems to have arrived in NE. Yesterday was 28* when I went outside for my run. I wore fleece lined pants, hat, gloves, long sleeve pullover and my northface jacket and was fine. Gloves came off before the first mile and I was slightly warm with the jacket. Once you get moving, its not too bad. My ears get cold so I always wear a hat or headband below 40*. Just don't think about how cold it will be. Also if you can wait till 9 or 10 am it feels much warmer, but don't recommend waiting too late as the sun sets early here. I looked outside yesterday at 3pm and was like why it is getting dark? Oh right DST

QOTD: I’m feeling behind on my training for my first Dopey but my coach doesn’t seem to be concerned. I’m guessing he’s helped enough folks with a break in training through to the finish. I missed about four weeks of any running after I twisted *both* ankles while on a Disney Cruise in early October, and I’m just back to any type of distance. My right ankle is still giving me issues, so I’m forced to run flat and ankle-friendly (so ... basically boring). I’m primarily a trail runner and I never realized how much of my love of running is really a love our mountains until I’m away from them for a couple of months.

ATTQOTD: Training for Marathon Weekend thus far has been more about recovery from recent races and bridging and increasing fitness for a December race. After the Tuna Run relay a few weeks ago, I went through a down period where my motivation really suffered and I had a hard job motivating myself to get back out there. The time change and descent of darkness on all of my weekday training runs certainly played into it, as well. Due to that and life last week's four runs got compressed into Thursday-Sunday with no rest days. Rather than wearing me down, it has re-energized me. I'm feeling a lot more enthusiastic now. I think running a 10 miler at long run pacing had a lot to do with it. In some ways those intermediate to faster paced runs are more enjoyable than the slow easy endurance builders. Now it's on to surviving my race on Dec 15th and then I'll worry about bridging into Marathon Weekend from there.

Whew, what a weekend. I am working on my race re-cap for the Rock N Roll Vegas Half. But until then, let me catch up.

Cold weather: I'm cold once the weather gets below 75 but whatever. I run hot so I don't usually add long sleeves or tights until it's about 60 and below here. Some mornings during the winter will be in the 40s so I will add a jacket, gloves, and a beanie.

Training: Dopey training is going great! I mean kind of. Last week the wind kind of affected my paces so that sucked but at this rate, as long as I am getting the mileage in, I feel like I am on track.

Races: Loved all the re-caps going on! Congrats to everyone!

Some little things from my race this weekend: Night races are so much harder for me. @sourire as I was standing in the corral, my friend told me that Monterey Half was cancelled due to air quality and I immediately thought of you and was super bummed! I may have pissed off some running "influencers" during the race. And omg if RnR could have not put out that cold weather slash wind advisory that would have been greeeaaaat.

ATTQOTD: It's not going well and I've made a huge mistake for signing up for the marathon. It's going to be fun, but brutal experience.
What has been your longest run recently? You still have plenty of time to prepare, not for a PR, but just to make your race not quite the suffer fest. I think if you can get to a long run of 16 or 18 miles two weeks out, you will be ok.

I am in an odd place, coming off 2 fall marathons. Right now, it is more about healing the stuff that hurts and maintaining fitness. I will probably move to training mode after Thanksgiving.

ATTQOTD: My training for my first Dopey is going well. I've had no issues hitting the mileage and have been relatively healthy. Just did 9.5 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday (my 20 mile run was from the LI Sound on the north shore of Long Island clear across the island to the Atlantic Ocean, an interesting map on my runkeeper but a really boring run).
All my long runs look to be lining up on weekends where I don't have any plans or kids sporting events so I got that going for me. Although my last long run falls on the weekend before Christmas so I need to make sure all my shopping is done the previous weekend.

I think I have been doing well, but anticipate it is all going to trash shortly. I got in several 7-9 mile runs and one 10 miler. I leave for vacation Saturday and I really do not know how much running there can be as the internet has been lax on info on Kauai so I am hoping to at least get in a 5 mile run or 3! Then work trips, and Christmas obligations limit December running leading me to fear I have peaked in training. I am debating if the sunday before the half is too late for a long run, but I am praying for good weather to get in another 10 miler. I think I can do the half, and as a first race at distance it is a PR, so I am trying to feel good about that part, even if I know I will likely not get in the training I had hoped for when I signed up.

Help! I don’t know how to dress for this! I was expecting high 30’s low 40’s. Not this.
View attachment 364873
I would probably skip the cold sunny day, and just run in the snow if you can do so and still be visible to vehicles and off the road. If you have a light weight rain jacket you could also use that over the top for wind protection.
I ran at lunch today, 31 with a 'real feel' of 22 - it was quite windy, overcast, and snowing. I only regretted not wearing glasses as snow kept getting in my eyes, but it was so overcast when I went out I did not even think about them. I wore normal socks, fleece tights (no fancy wind panels) that did not quite meet my socks, a short sleeve tech shirt, a long sleeve slightly heavier (but not fleece and not my heaviest) tech top, gloves, a buff on my neck, and a hat (trail heads pony tail hat, not that heavy). I would have liked taller socks and decided I will likely invest in a mock turtle neck (I was thinking off all those complaining about the obnoxious race shirts a few weeks ago!), but I was fine after the first mile and when not taking 20mph winds to the face.

A few of us have the VA3 and I think it’s awesome. I moved up from a Fitbit Blaze so can’t comment on the different between the VA3 vs the 235. I do like having the everyday features though and it’s the watch I wear 99% of the time.

I got the VA3 this summer. I previously had a Garmin Forerunner 235. I don't know what the Vivomove is like.

I like the VA3 overall. Like the touchscreen and it has the running and daily functionality that I want. It is a bit smaller (both width and thickness) than the FR 235. The options for colors are better, IMHO.

As I've been complaining about lately, the elevation measurements are fictitious. Someone linked a possible fix for this, but I haven't tried it yet. To me, it's annoying but not a deal-breaker. From what I can tell, the HR and GPS mapping functionality are on par with other Garmin devices.

Hrm, I can't seem to find the link to a fix. The I only know the way to manually fix each run after the fact.

I don't understand why it is always so far off... like why does it always need to be corrected? What good is the barometric altimeter if you're always correcting it?

here is the link: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=R4I5hFFcUk8gJPC4zi0Xv6

it is my understanding that the VA3 does not have a setting that will do this automatically. you have to do it manually for each workout. there is also a correction option for individual workouts in strava.

Cold Weather - I bought some new gear & already had to use it since we hit the teens already, brrrr! And add wind, sucks!

I bought a pair of Skirt Sports Toasty Tights. I've done a few runs in them with the frigid temps & wind and they have been pretty great. My thighs & butt didn't fall off.
I bought a new pair of Thinsulate mittens, game changer for my hands.
I just got in a pair of the nuwool Injinji toe socks, I hope they'll be warmer.

ATTQOTD - - Goofy Training is going well. My long run last week I wanted 15, but it was so cold I cut it at 12. Hopefully, with it a little warmer and a change of days for it I can get the 15 this week. I feel like it's that time of year, where I get in what I can and just go with the weather as I don't treadmill.

Anyone feeling off on training, you've got 2 months, you can totally get some runs in to build up. Don't feel discouraged. You're going to have a super magical time.

ATTQOTD: My 20 mile run was from the LI Sound on the north shore of Long Island clear across the island to the Atlantic Ocean, an interesting map on my runkeeper but a really boring run.
Actually, this sounds like a really cool run. Can I ask from which town to which town did you run? And how did you deal with all the Long Island traffic? Were you on the main roads or did you find a good back road way to get across the island?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter