The Running Thread - 2018

Hi, all!

Sorry to be gone so long...the last few months have been, well, "hectic" doesn't quite cover it. Juggling too many part-time jobs, moving my sister down to New Orleans, and the occasional health issue has pushed training out the window. So much so I was anxious about whether I'd be able to finish the Baltimoron this past weekend -- while I've been more active and on my feet more on account of the jobs, I haven't done a long distance since the 10-miler back in June.

Mom and I did the 5k portion fine, but then she was trying to talk me out of doing the half afterwards. At one point during the break between the two races, something inside of me jumped up and decided to at least try, while promising my mom that I'd be constantly re-evaluating and pull myself early if I had any doubt I'd be able to complete it (like I said, I wasn't trained up, and she's naturally a worrier).

Anyway, so I started, felt pretty good, and actually managed to keep a steady pace despite the elevation map looking like:

half_marathon_elevation-2.jpg

(ugh, that one at mile 6 is just murder)

And even though I fell off my pace after mile 10, I still felt strong to finish...and got myself a nice, shiny, personal best for the half. 11 minutes faster than last year.

44474987_10101732347528468_2475162675995213824_n.png

And, surprisingly, feel way better afterwards than I thought I would (in addition to being ridiculously proud of myself)

Here's hoping everyone's races and trainings are going as you want them to, and hopefully I'll be able to get back into reading this MASSIVE thread at some point soon :)

ATTQOTD yep I pause. Mostly at traffic lights, I carry water so don’t need drink stops. Sometimes if I’m a little more adventurous with my route I need to stop to check my phone to see where I should be going.

I bought new running shoes today. I tried in a couple different pairs of shoes and ended up getting pretty much the same shoe that I have been wearing for 8 years. Anybody else go out to buy shoes with the intention of moving to something different but end up staying the same?

Yep more than once! Though last time I did actually change, used to be Mizuno Riders but they have been getting soft and possibly causing Achilles issues. Have switched to Brooks Ghosts, seem to be OK..

QOTD: Do you pause your watch during training runs? If so, what in an acceptable reason to pause? Drink stop? Restroom? Stoplight? Short rest?

Todays question is from a fellow poster. Thank you for your suggestion!

ATTQOTD: I pause my watch during my long runs all the time. I stop it for red lights, water stops, restroom stops, or to re tie my shoes. I just try to keep my stops short, nothing longer than 5 minutes. Now for a race, there is no stopping my watch, the clock at the finish line does not stop for me to use a restroom, so I dont then as well so I know exactly where I am at time wise during a race. As I get closer to race day, I use fewer stops during my training runs. I practice taking fluids and GU in while on the move, but stopping at a red light is unavoidable until race day.

No, I don't stop. My training runs don't really matter for time. I am all about the mileage and the target heart rates I am looking for on that run. I only keep track of time so I can watch for improvement over time. If I am running training runs at 10:00/pace and then three mo this down the road I am doing the same route at the same heart race but my time drops to 9:00/pace then I will know I'm getting in better shape.

After five pairs of Asics Nimbus 19, I just bought an Asics Nimbus 20... :sad2:

I didn't like the 20's AT ALL! I am hoping the 21's are better next year.

I didn't like the 20's AT ALL! I am hoping the 21's are better next year.
Uhoh... Did you go from the 19? Because they were very different from the one before them but the 20 seemed to be very similar to the 19. I haven’t used my new shoes for a run yet.

Funny byproduct of me not pausing my watch at races: During Disney races, I've been known to come out of a character stop not knowing if I'm supposed to be running or walking. (During non-Disney races this occasionally happens with water stops, since I walk those if I'm stopping)
Funny story - I have the Garmin Vivoactive, original. I recently got new glasses, picking out ones especially for my ability to run in them (I have never run in glasses before). Well, running in them has been a revelation! I can actually SEE my phone and watch, lol. And on the screen that has the countdown for my intervals ( 30/:30) it says Run or Walk above the timer! I have had this watch since marathon training for 2017 WDW Marathon and I just noticed this last weekend! :scratchin :rotfl2:

Funny story - I have the Garmin Vivoactive, original. I recently got new glasses, picking out ones especially for my ability to run in them (I have never run in glasses before). Well, running in them has been a revelation! I can actually SEE my phone and watch, lol. And on the screen that has the countdown for my intervals ( 30/:30) it says Run or Walk above the timer! I have had this watch since marathon training for 2017 WDW Marathon and I just noticed this last weekend! :scratchin :rotfl2:

Thus giving new meaning to the term "running blind"
:magnify:

:rotfl:

ATTQOTD:
No I don’t pause my run. It can be frustrating knowing my pace is taking a hit while I wait for street lights to change. I remind myself that my long runs are more for mileage buildup versus pace.
I run with a camelback on long runs so no need to completely stop for water.

Both my running stores in FW and here in NOLA have water coolers and cups outside the store front (they're both along very popular running routes), so I think the water is totally fine. As far as facilities? I'd feel weird, unless I'm in there all the time buying stuff or I make an effort to run with the group ... I'd hate for them to only know me because I come in use their bathroom.

I ran into the same kind of situation last weekend. I ended up at the grocery store where I usually shop and used their bathroom with the intention of purchasing a water/Gatorade bottle but they were to big to carry. I’ll go back if I am stuck again but will buy a pack of juice boxes, drink one and give the rest to their staff.

Thanks for the input! I rarely need the facilities, but I want to know that I could. I will likely never make the group runs because they conflict with life- I keep thinking I should get a babysitter once to try it just to get past the double digit run that is messing with my head. I ran in to look at bottles and use it as an opportunity to pick up whatever nutrition product they had (because grandma fed caffeinated sports beans I was going to try out to my kindergardners!) to try but I was distracted by the water cooler and got nothing.
I had not considered grocery stores, leading to my revelation that there is a whole foods across from one of the stores I was considering and they have a fountain and bathroom and no one cares or notices!

Haha, I was going to say that my 220 said "Run" or "Walk" on the interval screen but I haven't used it on my VA3 so I didn't know if it did on that one. :)

I bought new running shoes today. I tried in a couple different pairs of shoes and ended up getting pretty much the same shoe that I have been wearing for 8 years. Anybody else go out to buy shoes with the intention of moving to something different but end up staying the same?
I wish!! I'm in the process of trying to find a new shoe because nothing I've been running in the past year are working for me anymore. So. many. choices. :headache:

Mrs. PADC here.

Hershey Half Marathon

I often chide DH for being too detailed and lengthy when he tells me of various events. His recap of Hershey was definitely concise and there is so much more he could have said. I just wanted to say that I am in awe of not just him, but everyone who ran the race. I was bundled up because of the temperature and wind and I was still cold. I was amazed at the lack of clothing on some runners.

We have no personal connection to any Hershey entity other than living within a one hour drive and being fans of the Hershey Bears. We much prefer WDW over Hershey park. Despite the criticisms of and recent questionable decisions by the Chocolate Town Challenge organization, this is a great race. One of the best things about the race is the students of the Milton S Hershey School. The school is not a direct beneficiary of the race, but all money spent at a HERCO entity or on Hershey products benefits the school. The company exists for the sole purpose of funding the school. The students and House Parents, some of them still in their PJs, who stand at the end of their residence driveways to cheer on the runners are genuinely happy to participate. They also display a level of manners and maturity that seems to be less common these days. The student who exchanged his defective bag was polite and apologetic. (Unfortunately, I feel that I need to say that I am not here to defend or gloss over any accusations made against the school.)

In summary, I would say that this would be a fun destination race and it could be combined with a visit to the park and Chocolate World, or other attractions (Hotel Hershey, Antique Auto Museum, etc).

QOTD: Yall!!! It's finally fall here is South Louisiana! Its a little rainy today, but cool and temps in the 10 day range are only getting better! So far todays question, has fall weather reached your part of the world and for how long now?

ATTQOTD: See opening statement.

ATTQOTD: we get southern fall so for my south Floridian blood, this South Georgia weather is chilly! Yesterday was super cold at 48°. Today is a bit better in the mid 60s. Looks like our highs will be in the mid to high 70s which is perfect.

ATTQOTD: I don't even know what season it is. It was 50 when I got to work this morning, but will be close to 80 by the time I leave. The humidity has dropped significantly and there's a constant, nice breeze. Friday's run was 40 degrees at 7:30, but surprisingly didn't feel terrible. Today's lunch run will be around 70.

ATTQOTD: We are definitely well into Fall and almost winter territory. Today is 48* with low 40s all week and some rain. Hoping it warms up a little as I don't love wearing scarfs and gloves this early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter