The Running Thread - 2016

ATTQOTD: After I had finished it, I regretted running my first real Half Marathon (other first was W&D half of a half) on my injured ankle. I was able to finish but right after crossing the finish line I couldn't even put weight on it. I seriously do not know how I ran that race. I couldn't put weight on it for 3 weeks!

This is the description of my half this weekend. I am terrible with estimated elevation changes! Would you say this is a big uphill climb? How does it sound to you all?

"This route features 5 miles of flat terrain, 4 miles of uphill terrain and 4 miles of downhill terrain. The first 2.75 miles are completely flat as the course follows the waterfront, it then gradually climbs 324 ft over the next 4 miles. Once you reach mile 6.7, its all downhill including a 175 ft drop within half a mile at mile 8.5, becoming mostly flat again at mile 10.7 and staying flat until the end."

My expectations for a good finish time depend on how hilly this is. I was secretly hoping for a 2:45 finish but if it's hilly that probably isn't going to happen.

The uphill doesn't sound to bad. The down hill section could be a interesting challenge.

@derekleigh after coming off a big weekend last week setting a new HM PR, how are things looking for this weekends 5k? Feeling good enough for a PR attempt, or just out for a fun event?

Yay! I look forward to reading this recap today.

You are absolutely right, this is like my running group. I figure these are the things I'd talk to my group about if I had a group. But this way I get to talk to everyone of all abilities, not just the ones at my pace who can make it out at the same time as me :) Hey, maybe some weekend (it'd be totally hard to coordinate) we could all run "together"...like a Disboards 5k. Has that ever been done?

Congrats @Krynn on your PR!

Can I ask the board a question related to "coming back from an injury"? Mine is minor. I tweaked my foot running hills during a 10k at the end of April. I rested with no running since that happened and my foot all week has gotten better and better. It's feeling pretty darn good today compared to that race weekend. I did not end up seeing a doctor because it was improving with rest and was never a mind-numbingly painful thing...more of a soreness thing. Sooooo...how do you all babystep your way back into training. Tonight is out because my hubby has his swim triathlon training class. But tomorrow since the weather is nice I could go out on a walk just to see how I feel. My next big race is in July so I have time to ease myself back. I miss running but don't want to be stupid about it. I also NEED new shoes and I think this confirms it...the cushioning I believe is pretty shot.

I would just start out slow. I would plan to do a few easy runs, whatever that normally is for you distance wise, and not worry about pace. The idea would be to get in the mileage and make it home injury free.

Would you say this is a big uphill climb? How does it sound to you all?

"This route features 5 miles of flat terrain, 4 miles of uphill terrain and 4 miles of downhill terrain. The first 2.75 miles are completely flat as the course follows the waterfront, it then gradually climbs 324 ft over the next 4 miles. Once you reach mile 6.7, its all downhill including a 175 ft drop within half a mile at mile 8.5, becoming mostly flat again at mile 10.7 and staying flat until the end."

My expectations for a good finish time depend on how hilly this is. I was secretly hoping for a 2:45 finish but if it's hilly that probably isn't going to happen.

Looks like the "up" portion is slow and steady so hopefully no worries there.
The "down" portion appears to drop off more quickly so use caution and good judgment. Steep downhills are harder for me than the uphill parts.

Just give it your best effort that day and you might get close or beat that 2:45 goal.

There were over 1000 MTT participants last year, so it's not Don any longer. Now they have the MTT broken down into small teams (14 teams with a total of 80 coaches). My team coaches ran the last bit with me before sending me downhill to finish on my own. It was just as memorable considering those guys had been my cheerleaders for nearly 6 months. I'll never forget my head coach running up to me around mile 25 asking how I felt. With a smile on my face, I answered with "I hurt from the waist down." He chuckled and told me that I was doing it right then.

I totally forgot about how great the support teams were for the runners when I did the marathon last year. I was blown away by how many "coaches" and team members came out on the course to support their runners. Even thought I wasn't part of the teams or groups, their inspiration helped me too! Very fun event.

Don't think I've regretted any run, I've had plenty of sucky ones, injured ones & sick ones but didn't regret them, I don't think anyway. Maybe at the time I did and have mentally blocked it out.

Don't think I've regretted any run, I've had plenty of sucky ones, injured ones & sick ones but didn't regret them, I don't think anyway. Maybe at the time I did and have mentally blocked it out.

@cavepig summed it up nicely. I like to think that each run and the experience gained will ultimately make me a better runner.

(But I have been guilty of promising myself that I would never run a marathon again when I am at mile marker 16 or so)

Last edited:

QOTD: Have you ever gone on a run that you regretted?
Yes, I went on one run where it was just way too cold and I couldn't get warm for hours. Nothing serious though.

I would probably revise my goal for this weekend to 40:00. I may be able to do it in a bit less but I've never done the course so I'm hesitant to push it much lower.

My first injury... I don't regret the run, just not stopping the moment I started feeling that pain on the side of my knee. I had a number in mind I had to reach, so I kept going. That ITBS knocked me out for about 7 weeks.

Suffering from a cough at the moment so not been risking running with it as I am coughing up stuff (sorry for the grossness).

Also it is unusually muggy/humid at the moment so kinda been reluctant to run.

Working out whether I want to take my running gear to a residential I'm going on with school (as a teacher) or just wait for the week after when I am starting my Galloway half marathon plan.

@cavepig summed it up nicely. I like to think that each run and the experience gained will ultimately make me a better runner.

(But I have been guilty of promising myself that I would never run a marathon again when I am at mile marker 16 or so)

I have never said I'm not running another marathon. I always promise myself I will train harder for the next one. But I'm realizing that no matter how hard I train the marathon will never feel easy.

ATTQOTD: I don't know if it counts as regretting a run, but my 2015 Hot Chocolate 15k in San Diego was no joke. And to say I was not trained for the distance, let alone the hills, is an understatement. That race was supposed to be my barometer for how training for my first half marathon was going. And, as I'm sure you can suspect, it wasn't going well. At all. I almost got rerouted off the course 3 times. I knew in Disney terms that meant getting swept. Maybe it scared me straight because after my legs recovered I started "properly" training for the DLH. :)

Of course I look around and say, "this isn't Disney" but I do that to everything in my life.

HA. This made me laugh. I thought we were the only ones who did this. haha.

Yup. Last year's Princess Half. I was a little underprepared, because I had gotten sick. Of course, I did it anyway. All 3 races. The first race was okay, the second I was a little sore. By partway through the half, I couldn't walk without pain, let alone run. I still finished without walking or even changing intervals. I could barely walk after that. The rest of my trip was torture, and I came home with PF, ITBS, and bursitis. That was over a year ago, and I'm still rehabbing it.

ATTQOTD: Only one, when I had Plantar Fasciitis, I did a run I knew shouldn't have, and caused a partial tear of the tendon. I just really felt like I needed some good running endorphins and thought I'd go slow. I then spent 6 weeks in a walking boot. Other than that, which was pure stubborness, I have had many runs I did not feel like doing but I always feel great once I am about a mile in:)

Yeah. I'm right there with you. I'm not in a boot, but I'm only up to 2 miles running right now.

I agree with this 100%. 2 weeks is not long enough to have lost much fitness or strength. Test the injury for a week, then get back at it.

Agreed. To the OP of this question....You haven't lost much fitness, but you don't want to re-injure it. Start slowly, and if you're not an interval runner, I suggest trying it for a while. If you are an interval runner, you may want to back off on the run interval at first.

ATTQOTD: Yes - a few times, and always because the run produced an injury that cost me other runs. Never because the run was tough or because of a bad run. I get the big picture and know how important those runs are in developing mental toughness.

But I could do without the injuries. :crutches:

100% agree with this. Crappy runs really suck, but at least I usually learn something. Injury producing runs only teach you not to try and run through injuries. I wish I could have learned it without firsthand knowledge.

ATTQOTD: Sorry to simply repeat what others have said, but the only run I have ever regretted was trying to push through an injury and making things worse. Happened several years ago and the outcome was a layoff from running.

Excited to run a race this weekend. Good luck to Michigandergirl who is running the River Bank 25K; maybe I will see you there! I am going to back off my original goal of 2:10. I have not been running enough this winter/spring to achieve that, so as opposed to going out and trying to reach that time I am going to run by feel and simply see what happens. Good luck to all the runners this weekend; have great races.

I have never said I'm not running another marathon. I always promise myself I will train harder for the next one. But I'm realizing that no matter how hard I train the marathon will never feel easy.

I think I've said never again after a couple of my marathons yet I always do. You're definitely right about it never feeling easy.

Just added a 5K for July 20th. The inaugural Cream Puff 5K in West Allis, WI!

Do you get Cream Puffs after the race? If so, count me in. :)

I think I've said never again after a couple of my marathons yet I always do. You're definitely right about it never feeling easy.

Do you get Cream Puffs after the race? If so, count me in. :)
Yes you do! Cream Puffs and a free beer but I'm not of age so I don't get that.

Todays QOTD was suggested by a fellow poster of this thread. I think we may have touched on it once before, but I figured it was worth another look.

QOTD: Do you run with a group. Either a structured running group or just friends that have found a time to get together and run? If its a formal group, what is the cost associated with being in the group?

ATTQOTD: I've never ran with anyone else and do not have any real desire to, other than I would love to run a Ragnar Relay. Now that I think about it running a Ragnar is still not running with a group, but having a running team.

@derekleigh after coming off a big weekend last week setting a new HM PR, how are things looking for this weekends 5k? Feeling good enough for a PR attempt, or just out for a fun event?

LOL, Truthfully, I don't know. Historically the 5K I've got coming up as always been a good race, but due to various factors (crowds, course turns, etc) I was never really able to hit the course as fast as I'd like. I'm going to play it by ear. My legs are still sore from the half even after a few rest days of cross training and yoga, by two lighter runs this week have been "harder" than they should be.

Yes, I did a 2k and Half combo challenge in November of 2014 and due to the circumstances surrounding the event, I have always regretted racing it. The races in and of themselves were fine. It was the outside factors that just made that whole situation regrettable:

- 32 degrees, not bad by itself but it had been a quick temp drop for that week
- Drove back from Maine at 5:00 am for two hours and had to leave the wife, boys, and two dogs stuck at the location for over two hours (None of them could run the 2K because they didn't have appropriate clothing)
- I had just come off a minor injury/setback in my foot
- the last 2 miles of the race were uphill, like 1,000 climb in elevation!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter