The Running Thread—2023

August 2023: Activities: 13 Distance: 57.9 mi Time: 11:46:53 This includes mostly 5ks & 10ks.

I'm proud that I got over 50 miles this month!
I finished my July/ August poster/workout calendar and I liked it so much that I made another one for September.

I'm currently in Dollywood, TN so I'm not sure how my training will go for the next week, but I'll try without overdoing it.

Looking forward into September......I'm planning on 4 runs per week plus yoga and express strength. I just need to get the kids back to school and into a groove to see how that will all play out in real life.

August Totals
191.21 miles
7:50 avg/mile

I would say, at least the temperatures should start to taper or cool off now but it's supposed to be in the 90s all next week here in Pittsburgh. I do look forward to September with a 10k at the end of it, then a few more races through the beginning of November.

August 2023 Totals
Running Distance: 96.26 miles
Running Time: 18:47:15
Traditional Strength Training Time: 15:59:58
Core Training: 1:30:37
HIIT: 00:00:00 (I tweaked my hamstring and was afraid of doing plyometrics - I WILL be back in September!) Note to self to NEVER jump rope at 5:30 in the dark on a driveway before going on run. So freaking stupid!
Yoga/Pilates: 10:22:04

August summary
Miles: 80
Avg page: 10:44 min/mi
Day run per week: 4.1 days
Avg distance per run: 4.4 miles

Highlight of the month for me was running with my daughter in her first half marathon! Her goal was under 3 hours and she finished in 2:40. That included a 5 minute porta-potty stop at mile 9!
Congratulations for your daughter's first half marathon. That is really great!

August:
Miles: 168.31
Avg pace: 8:53

Most amount of miles in a month since my injury started almost a year ago. Hamstrings seem to be hanging on with lots and lots of foam rolling.
That's really damn impressive! Wow!!!

August running for me:
Total distance 64.16 km (39.87 miles)
Average pace 6min24s/km (10min15s/mile)

Kept to my goal of running an average of 2km a day. Quite pleased as I got much faster this month and was running longer distances each run! At the start of the year I could maybe have done 1km (if that) at this pace and it's nice to know that I can now run 2.4km at this pace fairly comfortably!

I still need to up my mileage a bit over the next few months before Princess weekend though. Probably need to transition to doing slower and longer runs.

I'm quite sure I won't keep to this goal in September though as am headed to Disney World for a good part of September! I don't think I'll be running there, in the past I've tried running on holiday but I'm usually so exhausted from all the fun stuff I do on holiday that I don't want to spend time running. So I'll probably just take a 2 week break from running and resume when I'm back home...

August Miles = 136

Finally, a month where I was able to complete nearly all my scheduled runs. I just missed yesterday due to the start of the college football tailgating season. It’s going to be a very busy next few months and weekend long runs prepping for NYC and then Dopey will be challenging to fit in.

January Miles = 113
February Miles = 113
March Miles = 116
April Miles = 115
May Miles = 123
June Miles = 112
July Miles = 119

2023 Total = 947

I’ve been training for the Margaritaville 5k in Kissimmee at the end of September, and I just heard that Jimmy Buffett died yesterday. Suddenly this race feels even more poignant. RIP, pirate. 😭
I saw the news before my short run this morning. I listened to one of his concerts while I ran, and I’m running 7.6 miles tomorrow since he was 76. And I’ll listen to his music again.

August Running
Total Distance: 166.67 miles
Average Pace: 11:11/mile

Hit a little snag with this hip injury/niggle the end of this month, still hoping to run or run/walk Chicago in October. I made an appointment for next week at an orthopedic place but I'm hoping it will be better by then and I will be able to cancel.

August 2023: Activities: 13 Distance: 57.9 mi Time: 11:46:53 This includes mostly 5ks & 10ks.

I'm proud that I got over 50 miles this month!
I finished my July/ August poster/workout calendar and I liked it so much that I made another one for September.

I'm currently in Dollywood, TN so I'm not sure how my training will go for the next week, but I'll try without overdoing it.

Looking forward into September......I'm planning on 4 runs per week plus yoga and express strength. I just need to get the kids back to school and into a groove to see how that will all play out in real life.
DW and I love Dollywood. I'd rather make the drive to Pigeon Forge to go to Dollywood than to go to Six Flags. And all the employees love her and refer to her as "Miss Dolly". She's really made her stamp on the place (the whole town) and it makes for a more pleasant experience. And this post is probably too late, but if you are there, go visit the bald eagle rescue habitat. Magnificent birds.
The first time we went, we also stayed at the Dreammore hotel and it was the one weekend a year that she visits, just by coincidence. Later that day in the park, she went right by us in a horseless carriage, modified to run on an electric motor. It was really a nifty experience. We went to the "My People" show, and I thought "her people" meant other mountain people from the area. Nope, it was her siblings, cousins, and other relatives. Way cool.

I did a nice 4+ mile run on Wednesday, and was feeling so good on Thursday that I wanted to go enjoy the lower temp and humidity and do it again. And after half a mile Morton reared its ugly head and said no. So back to the house and ice the bottom of my foot. More ice while at my desk on Friday afternoon and then I was able to go out and enjoy the fine weather. I was happy to get in 5.03 miles at a 10:37 pace and feeling pretty good afterwards. That feels like some nice progress towards the MCM. Also, my weight is the lowest it has been in 30 years. Closing in on that sub-200 goal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter