The Running Thread—2023

We've gotten a few days of cooler weather in the past, but that's usually counteracted by losing air conditioning. :P
My Godparents live in Houston and after Rita barreled through, my Godmother insisted on a generator so they can run the fridge and A/C. She said she can live without TV and internet but not A/C!

My first recommendation (as always) would be to consult with a physical therapist. Make sure that it isn't the start of something worse.

I would also take more than one day off. I had an intermittent hip pain which sounds very similar and I really messed things up by running on it before it was ready. It wound up causing a compensation injury on the other side, which actually took the longest to heal. If I had taken the time off at the beginning, my recovery probably would have been cut in half.

If part of you thinks that you shouldn't run, you probably shouldn't run.

A similar experience I just had, not medical advice of course!

I had hip pain in the are you describe While training for my “A” race HM in June. Running became too painful to continue. I ended up taking a week off of running (2 weeks before race) and walked all the miles in my training plan instead. When I tried running the week before, I still had pain (a 1-2 on a scale) but it didn’t worsen when I continued so I kept at it. Made it to race day, oddly enough had NO pain during the race and had a stellar PR.

Hope you find an answer/relief! So frustrating.

In addition to seeing a medical professional, I’d avoid running for a few days and stick with cycling and swimming too. Both can keep your fitness up without loading your pelvis and legs.
Okay, this is a very dumb question, but as someone who has never been injured, what kind of medical professional do you call? Can you just make an appointment with a PT? Or do you need to get a prescription from a doctor? What kind of doctor is that?

My Godparents live in Houston and after Rita barreled through, my Godmother insisted on a generator so they can run the fridge and A/C. She said she can live without TV and internet but not A/C!

My mom and stepdad did the exact same. They lost power for almost a week after a storm a few years ago (in Clearwater, FL). They had a small generator that really only powered the fridge, and quickly upgraded once they realized how long an outage could be there!

Okay, this is a very dumb question, but as someone who has never been injured, what kind of medical professional do you call? Can you just make an appointment with a PT? Or do you need to get a prescription from a doctor? What kind of doctor is that?
It depends on your insurance if you need a referral or not. I got mine from my PCP, and had to do a dr appointment to get the referral.

In New York, you can go right to a physical therapist (it's called a "direct access" state) without needing a prescription. But you may want to call your insurance company and find out what they require. When I had plantar fasciitis, I did see a podiatrist first, but that was because of my insurance.

My recommendations if you haven't seen a PT before:
- Find one that is a runner and/or works primarily with runners. You need someone who is used to dealing with running injuries, training, and the runner mentality. Don't know where to find one? Ask your local running store, run club, race directors, etc.
- If your insurance won't cover it (or is limited), talk to the PT office. They are used to dealing with this and often have very reasonable out of pocket rates.
- Don't wait! If you think you need to see a PT, just do it. Most offices can get you in pretty quickly (within a week at the most).

Oh, and just a warning "PT" does stand for "pain and torture." :rolleyes1

We are lucky to have orthopedic urgent care in our area. They have docs and PT in house. Maybe an option for you? Quicker than PCP a for sure.
Again depends on your insurance.

I’m lucky in that we have walk-in orthopedic urgent care (who take my insurance!) and they also do PT on-site.

Truth be told, it depends upon your insurance policy. If you are planning on paying out-of-pocket, then it wouldn't matter at all. If you have a HMO policy, then you need to see your PCP and get a referral. Hopefully, it's just a niggle that will resolve itself with some rest.

Truth be told, it depends upon your insurance policy. If you are planning on paying out-of-pocket, then it wouldn't matter at all. If you have a HMO policy, then you need to see your PCP and get a referral. Hopefully, it's just a niggle that will resolve itself with some rest.
No HMO, but we have no orthopedic urgent care in the city, just all around in the surrounding suburbs. Next appointment I could get in the city was in mid-September so I just said Forget it. I'll try to find time to commute out to an urgent care or just wing it for now. Thank you to everyone for suggestions.

No HMO, but we have no orthopedic urgent care in the city, just all around in the surrounding suburbs. Next appointment I could get in the city was in mid-September so I just said Forget it. I'll try to find time to commute out to an urgent care or just wing it for now. Thank you to everyone for suggestions.
It may be worth it to make the mid-Sept appointment. You can always cancel if you don't need it. But mid-Sept is only a couple weeks away. The worst is when you don't make an appointment and then it comes to the date you would have had one and you're still having the issue. And if you end up making an appointment at that point it sets you down further on the calendar.

It may be worth it to make the mid-Sept appointment. You can always cancel if you don't need it. But mid-Sept is only a couple weeks away. The worst is when you don't make an appointment and then it comes to the date you would have had one and you're still having the issue. And if you end up making an appointment at that point it sets you down further on the calendar.
This is true

There is also something to be said for getting established. In my experience, now that I'm established it is much easier to get an immediate appointment when I need it.

Hurricane check-in from the Tampa Bay Area, where my residence is perfectly fine: we finally got some MUCH needed rain, so the landscaping is very happy, a little wind, no power outage. :thumbsup2 But just about everything coastal is under water from storm surge… which is not at all unexpected: that’s just how it goes around here and is why evacuations were ordered for those places prone to surge/flooding. We’ve got another high tide to get through today before it starts going down. We got lucky - again.

And yes, I absolutely got out there yesterday morning for a pre-storm run! Saw all the usual neighborhood runners/walkers/cyclists out there, too.

We've been getting some squalls on and off today. Just got a big one that looks on the radar like it might be the last bit of bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter