The Running Thread—2023

Pretty close to it. You can make out the start of it in the picture. It was only about 10 yards after the start, but you had to come to a quick stop and get going again if you weren't in the first row or so.
Oh my gosh that's awful!

🙋‍♀️ Not even remotely ready for it. Coming back from surgery has not been easy even though I’ve adjusted my paces to be slower. I am not mentally into it either. Add in house buying, packing to move in September and getting mine ready to sell.……..it’s been stressful. My DH keeps telling me I should just defer to next year, but I dunno. I am over training during FL summers for fall marathons and just want to get this major crossed off my list.
You’ll love the race! I’d run it every year if I could.

my goal for NYC and Dopey will be to just finish with no time goals.
When people would tell my mom she had « just » a kid, she would answer « not just one, a whole lot of one » (in French « pas juste une, toute une ».)

My friends runners, you do not ever just finish a race, you can proudly say that you ran a whole one! Good luck training for, adjusting and achieving (or attempting to achieve or wisely giving up if necessary) your goal on that special day, whatever it brings you.

You’ll love the race! I’d run it every year if I could.
That’s what I hear! I LOVE Chicago so I’m anxious to see how it compares!!!

So many missed runs in July and August is not off to a good start. I’m literally watching paint dry right now 😂 My daughter is a senior this year and it’s tradition to design and paint a parking spot.

1690896545763.jpeg

July Running

Training for NYC continues to go pretty well, although the hill repeats workout kicks my but--but today I had a good one, so progress! I had the highest monthly mileage total since October 2021. Most people would be thrilled--I am cautiously okay about it. I am an injury machine and so more miles means more chances to have something go wrong.

When people would tell my mom she had « just » a kid, she would answer « not just one, a whole lot of one » (in French « pas juste une, toute une ».)

My friends runners, you do not ever just finish a race, you can proudly say that you ran a whole one! Good luck training for, adjusting and achieving (or attempting to achieve or wisely giving up if necessary) your goal on that special day, whatever it brings you.
As a Francophile and aging runner slowly accepting that my long distance days are doneso, I am absolutely in love with this and will be repeating it to myself often! Pas juste une course, toute une course, bien sûr.

As a Francophile and aging runner slowly accepting that my long distance days are doneso, I am absolutely in love with this and will be repeating it to myself often! Pas juste une course, toute une course, bien sûr.
I can’t wait to tell people “Pas juste un marathon, toute un marathon” in January 😆

I only took 3 semesters of French so I better start practicing my pronunciation now 😅

QOTD: for the in-the-dark runners (or if you’ve seen discussions around this and have collective knowledge to pass on 😉)

Headlamp or chest/waist lamp? Both? Not for other people to see you, but for YOU to be able to see?

I paced ds2 on his tempo run last night at 9:30pm, and it was pretty much dark by the time he was done. And the road we were on has very little traffic (especially that time of day) but I was sooooo nervous he was going to roll or break an ankle 😬

ATTQOTD: I run in a hat, so headlamps have never worked well for me. My current solution is the Ultraspire Lumen 600 waist light. Ultraspire also has a panel that integrates into my Speedgoat hydration belt for a multipurpose solution. I love it and have used the combination in two ultras that have gone well into the night.

ATQOD: Unless I'm running somewhere extremely dark with no lighting at all (woods or some of our park systems at night) I prefer a waist lamp to a headlamp. I do think a headlamp does a better job of lighting up total darkness but I generally run in areas with at least some street lights and I have this which is my go to in those circumstances.

Hi, I might be able to help with this one! I am VERY allergic to biting (and stinging) insects: major swelling, hIves, itching and scarring that goes on for weeks. Two things that work for me: 1. OFF unscented non-aerosol (pump spray) with DEET - I’m in FL and the natural stuff doesn’t do anything to deter mosquitoes; DEET’s the only way to go. I just wash it off as soon as I’m done with outdoor activity. 2. Hemorrhoid gel If I do get bit. Cream is fine, too, but for some reason gel seems better. NOTHING relieves the swelling and itching as well as that! Oral Benadryl is always great, too, but for instant relief on the spot, trust V: hemorrhoid gel is where it’s at.
Hemorrhoid gel?!

Sounds like the mosquitos are getting really personal there....

The stretching and PT are working! I ran a little over 3 miles yesterday with no significant pain, then again today with moderate success. Today was nearly 2 miles before I had to stop and do some walking and stretching, but I'm doing a lot better than I was two weeks ago. And I no longer have my femoral nerve on fire 24/7, so... progress.

Hopefully I can keep progressing so that the half in a couple of weeks isn't a total walk-fest, and for a decent time in the MCM in October.

July running
77.07km or 47.89 miles total - kept to my goal of an average of 2km/day of running!
Pace of 6min27s/km which translates to 10min20s/mile

Also walked 105.36km or 65.47 miles...

Overall - I ran more and ran faster in July than in June, so I'm very pleased with running progress this month!

Not sure I can keep it up this month/next month though (busy with real life stuff this month, and going to WDW next month - will be getting lots of steps in but don't think I'll be running there this trip)!

Well, the swelling/redness/pain/itch from the mosquito bite reactions are thankfully starting to get better! Really did take about 2-3 days to start getting better. Found that ibuprofen, antihistamines, and anti-itch cream was a good combination for symptomatic relief.

I went out for my run this morning with repellent sprayed everywhere and didn't stop running/walking for more than a few seconds. So far so good, I hope - I don't think I got bitten this morning (or at least haven't noticed any new bites)!

Hi, I might be able to help with this one! I am VERY allergic to biting (and stinging) insects: major swelling, hIves, itching and scarring that goes on for weeks. Two things that work for me: 1. OFF unscented non-aerosol (pump spray) with DEET - I’m in FL and the natural stuff doesn’t do anything to deter mosquitoes; DEET’s the only way to go. I just wash it off as soon as I’m done with outdoor activity. 2. Hemorrhoid gel If I do get bit. Cream is fine, too, but for some reason gel seems better. NOTHING relieves the swelling and itching as well as that! Oral Benadryl is always great, too, but for instant relief on the spot, trust V: hemorrhoid gel is where it’s at.
Thanks for the advice with this!

Couldn't find DEET spray in the supermarket near me so just went with a generic mosquito repellent spray they had. Seemed to work this morning (together with not stopping) so fingers crossed! Will look out for DEET repellent if this generic spray doesn't work.

Wonder what's in the haemorrhoid gel that works! I don't have any haemorrhoid gel to hand but we had some anti-itch cream at home - it worked surprisingly well just that the effect lasted only a couple of hours so had to keep reapplying it!

Definitely this, my wife is somewhat sensitive to bites and stings but rarely gets much reaction at home. Whatever mosquitos were at Saratoga when we stayed mid pandemic caused half dollar sized welts and bruising. thats when I read skeeter syndrome was actually a thing.
This is my first encounter with skeeter syndrome - didn't realise before that it was possible to get such bad reactions to mosquito bites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter