The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: I have a running chest light but I'm not a huge fan. It tends to do a "wiper" movement since I move my arms and chest when running, so the light in front of me is constantly going left to right and I get dizzy. I'm looking to ask for the Noxgear vest as a Christmas present to replace the chest light strap.

QOTD: for the in-the-dark runners (or if you’ve seen discussions around this and have collective knowledge to pass on 😉)

Headlamp or chest/waist lamp? Both? Not for other people to see you, but for YOU to be able to see?
It’s been several years since I’ve ran in the dark but I used to always wear a headlamp. Tbh, it wasn’t my favorite. I could never find the right adjustment to make it tight enough to not wobble but not so tight that it didn’t give me a headache.

ATTQOTD: I generally run in well lit areas, but I do wear a Noxgear vest so others can see me.
When I do run in dark areas, I have one Knuckle Light that is really bright and works well.

Some day I may get a light for my Noxgear vest. A couple ladies that I run with have those.

I have in the past had shoe lights, and those worked well also. I do think my Knuckle Light is brighter than the shoe lights, but it’s also newer and had really bright LEDs. New shoe lights might be brighter now too. Shoe lights highlight every little bump/wave in the road, even if it really isn’t anything, so they take some getting used to.

ETA: this is the one I have ‘ONE Running Light’
IMG_4502.jpeg

ATTQOTD: +1 for knuckle lights when I run in the dark. I am constantly amazed when I run on the trail here in Texas as most people don't using any lights and, while paved, there is not much help from street/house lights. As others have said, headlamps are great but don't work well for me because I like a hat to keep sweat out of my eyes even when running early in the morning before the sun comes up. The only drawback I find using knuckle lights is that when I take a walk break, they don't work as well because my arm motion is different (straight arm when walking vs. bent at elbow during run).

On headlamps and hats: I always wear a visor or ball cap type hat when running with a Petzl headlamp - I just slip the headlamp over the visor/cap and adjust the light’s tilt to illuminate the ground a few feet in front of me. I have plenty of light and the brim of my hat/visor reduces the glare of the light in my eyes. Maybe other brands don’t tilt or something?

@camaker (I meant to quote, but forgot to hit the button before posting.)

Thanks. I do try and watch for their sales before buying. Now I’ll have to decide how worth it is to me right now…

On headlamps and hats: I always wear a visor or ball cap type hat when running with a Petzl headlamp - I just slip the headlamp over the visor/cap and adjust the light’s tilt to illuminate the ground a few feet in front of me. I have plenty of light and the brim of my hat/visor reduces the glare of the light in my eyes. Maybe other brands don’t tilt or something?
I wear glasses, too, so in order to get the headlamp to fit comfortably around my head it ends up pushing the brim of my cap into the top of my glasses. That pushes the glasses uncomfortably down onto the bridge of my nose. I also don't like the "dead zone" that the brim creates in the light. I can make it work if I need to, but it's fiddly and distracting, requiring constant adjustments. The waist light is just easier to manage.

ATTQOTD: I generally run in well lit areas, but I do wear a Noxgear vest so others can see me.
When I do run in dark areas, I have one Knuckle Light that is really bright and works well.

Some day I may get a light for my Noxgear vest. A couple ladies that I run with have those.

I have in the past had shoe lights, and those worked well also. I do think my Knuckle Light is brighter than the shoe lights, but it’s also newer and had really bright LEDs. New shoe lights might be brighter now too. Shoe lights highlight every little bump/wave in the road, even if it really isn’t anything, so they take some getting used to.

ETA: this is the one I have ‘ONE Running Light’
View attachment 782409

Had not seen this version before. May have to look into it to compare to the traditional two light version I've got.

I have Knuckle Lights - the version with one in each hand. They are not LED, but I got the ones that have their own battery so that you recharge them with USB. Now that they have an LED version, I may have to look into that.

I found headlamps too uncomfortable and that they would slide down. I considered a chest lamp but I like that I can direct the Knuckle Lights wherever I want, more like a flashlight. It's maybe a bit annoying to have to hold them, but each fall I get used to it again as we transition into early sunsets.

ATTQOTD: Noxgear Tracer 2 plus attached a headlamp to an old HR chest strap. I came up with this combo before Noxgear started making their own chest light to pair with the Tracer. I put the chest strap/headlamp on first, and then the Tracer 2, and then the buckle holds the light in place with almost no bouncing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV3VTYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQPFHWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ATTQOTD: Good timing for this question! I just noticed a few days ago it’s getting darker at my 5am runs. I have an old Noxgear vest. Maybe their first iteration? Battery only. I should upgrade because I end up having to change them quite often. I also use a petzl headlamp. I run around my suburban neighborhood that’s not super well lit. The headlamp is for me to see and the vest is for cars to see me. I always feel bad when I circle around cul du sacs and forget to cover my headlamp. My bright light wakes up all the dogs as I go by. 😬

I have the noxgear tracer that came out right before the "2" and I wonder if the light would still attach to the buckle on it?

I have the noxgear tracer that came out right before the "2" and I wonder if the light would still attach to the buckle on it?
As I understand it, the Tracer 2 is the new, rechargeable model. The original is the Tracer360, which is what I have (and think you probably do, as well). It looks like both use the same buckle assembly and Tracer says on the product page that the light is compatible with both models. I sure hope so, since I ordered one for myself today!

July 2023

20230802_201207.jpg

One thing that I really like about using a calendar and stickers is that it helps me appreciate my consistency. Even mid-month when I was resting a sore hip, I still got three workouts in. If I didn't have this, I would probably wouldn't have noticed that.

As I understand it, the Tracer 2 is the new, rechargeable model. The original is the Tracer360, which is what I have (and think you probably do, as well). It looks like both use the same buckle assembly and Tracer says on the product page that the light is compatible with both models. I sure hope so, since I ordered one for myself today!
thanks for doing the research for me :upsidedow I hadn't gotten around to actually looking yet, and while it looked similar, sometimes companies are dumb and make things not compatible down the line. Glad to know that this one should work if I get around to ordering one (and somehow turn myself into a morning person)

July 2023

View attachment 782508

One thing that I really like about using a calendar and stickers is that it helps me appreciate my consistency. Even mid-month when I was resting a sore hip, I still got three workouts in. If I didn't have this, I would probably wouldn't have noticed that.
Wait this is such a genius idea. I’m only lurking at the moment (hoping for maybe the WDW Marathon in 2025 and just did my first run in ages the other day) but I may just steal this idea from you when I finally get serious about training!

Wait this is such a genius idea. I’m only lurking at the moment (hoping for maybe the WDW Marathon in 2025 and just did my first run in ages the other day) but I may just steal this idea from you when I finally get serious about training!

I got these stickers on Etsy and there were sets for most of the Disney races. I actually had these custom made to be a) generic since I wasn't training for a specific race at the time and b) blank since I don't use the standard Galloway training schedule.

Side note: I just looked for the shop so I could add the link here, but it appears that it has disappeared off Etsy. I think I found a website with the same products, but I can't find the stickers. If I can locate them, I'll post the link here. I'm going to need to do a resupply order soon so I hope I can locate the seller.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter