The Running Thread—2023

On this subject, I stumbled across Jeff Pelletier’s YouTube channel the other day, and wowee is it a treasure trove of destination ultra-running gorgeousness! I started watching his multi-episode trek across Georgia (the nation, not the state) and it’s incredible. I keep finding myself thinking “I want to do this!!!” followed by “100% chance you’d be killed or kidnapped at some point.”
Well, I have a new channel to play in the background while I work!

On this subject, I stumbled across Jeff Pelletier’s YouTube channel the other day, and wowee is it a treasure trove of destination ultra-running gorgeousness! I started watching his multi-episode trek across Georgia (the nation, not the state) and it’s incredible. I keep finding myself thinking “I want to do this!!!” followed by “100% chance you’d be killed or kidnapped at some point.”
Be sure to go back and watch his series "Racing Namibia." After seeing that, I decided I wanted to volunteer for one that company's races someday. It's the same organizer which did the Georgia race. Jeff has many great videos.

QOTD: Other than Disney races, what running event is on your bucket list?
ATTQOTD: highest on the list is Boston but I'm going to have to get faster or stay healthy for a couple more decades. 🤣

I've chatted with my mom about running Cherry Blossom as an excuse to visit DC and running with my mom would push this to the top.

I also would like to race wherever I go for vacations. Unfortunately, races in Europe in July are not that common.
I'm a huge fan of running on vacation but so far I've only managed to find a race once. It's not going to stop me from looking but summer beach destinations usually have their races outside of summer 😎

ATTQOTD: I don't have specific races I want to do. I lean more towards types on challenges or distances. If I had to choose I'd say Big Sur for the scenery. NYC for the energy. London Marathon for an excuse for a vacation over there. I would love to do Hood to Coast but I don't have that many running friends willing to do that. 😂

ATTQOTD: London would be number one. I wish I had run it when I lived in London as it would have been easier to register. But I was party hardy grad student so that probably wouldn’t have worked with the training. :rotfl2:

I also would like to run Paris and a race in Ireland because it is so scenic. Cherry blossom 10 miler is on the list as well. I would say Boston, but fundraising goals have become very aggressive and the weather is always such a wild card that I think I’ll stay a spectator.

A lot of good answers to the last QOTD! Lets give it another try with a new question.

QOTD: Other than Disney races, what running event is on your bucket list?

ATTQOTD: Marine Corps Marathon is very high on my list to do one day. The only problem is having to train for it in the Louisiana summer.
ATTQOTD: Antarctica and Ushuaia to complete the seven continents. London if I ever get in through the lottery. I’m 0-14 at the moment.

ATTQOTD: I don't really plan on running another marathon (except for Dopey 2025), so I'm looking more at half marathons now. I don't anything specific in mind yet, but I'd love to do one in every state. I think I'd start with scenic ones, like the national parks series or something similar. I'd like to do the NYC Half too since it's so close.

I've done Cherry Blossom, NYC and Marine Corps and they are all great races!

I have a list a mile long of bucket list races!

Lately I've been wanting to run a marathon in all 50 states. For years I kept bouncing between Mi, FL, and IL, but this year I'm heading to Ohio for the Flying Pig. I've started compiling a list of possible marathons in every state and it might take me years to complete, but hey, I think it will be fun to give it a try.

I'd also love to run all the Majors, but I'm less convinced about actually being able to complete that (because Boston).

I've done one of the Vacation Races (Zion trail half) and loved that, so I'd definitely like to do more of those. Their international trips looks amazing too!

And last but not least, I would love to do a trail race anywhere in the Alps. In fact, the ultimate vacation for me would be to do one of the Run the Alps trips where you spend every morning trail running/hiking and evenings sampling local food, wine, & beer, all while enjoying the most stunning scenery. :teeth:

ATTQOTD: If we are only looking at organized races, probably NYC.
Once I'm past my fall 1/2 Ironman I reserve the right to change my answer to Hawaii 70.3.

If we are allowed non-organized bucket list items, 1) Single day Presidential Traverse in NH (this may be in the works for July) 2) Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

And last but not least, I would love to do a trail race anywhere in the Alps. In fact, the ultimate vacation for me would be to do one of the Run the Alps trips where you spend every morning trail running/hiking and evenings sampling local food, wine, & beer, all while enjoying the most stunning scenery. :teeth:
This is EXACTLY how I want to do all or just parts of Tour du Mont Blanc! Not going for time, just want to experience the nature of it all, but with high thread count sheets and delicious food & drink at the end of each day. :cloud9:

QOTD: Have you ever paid for a running coach? If so at what part along your running journey did you use one and for how long?

ATTQOTD: It's a yes and no type answer. I did c25k and was looking for a group or training program to get me to the half marathon distance. I end up finding Fleet Feet and they had a program. It easily got me from 5k to half in 3-4 months with a satisfactory finish time. After that, the coach left the store but did still coach and make training plans. I had enjoyed the group so I stuck with it for a few more months before just going on out my own.

QOTD: Boston but only if I qualify and baring injury I'll be crossing that off next month.

My top 2 at the moment are the Rome marathon and the OCC race at UTMB. I want to do one of their races but short enough to enjoy the area before and after so OCC fits the bill best.

I'm on a quest to run at least a half marathon in every state and while I don't consider any specific race a bucket list race the endeavor as a whole would be.

Second QOTD: I haven't paid anyone yet and right now don't see the need but if I had a goal and a coach improved my chance of hitting it I would. I'm not afraid to spend money on I provement. I pay a massage therapist to keep the legs feeling good. He isn't cheap but he also works on Olympians so I know I'm in good hands. I just did an inside tracker ultimate plan and got some good insight. I'm going to do a few more to see how I trend.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: At some point post-kids, I determined that I needed someone to help me get back into shape without hurting myself. DH insurance back then was covering kinesiology so I joined a gym and had an appointment with that personal trainer once a week. I got quite strong with lifting, pulling etc. In Summer 2016, I did a c25k with a colleague and like being outside at lunchtime. I was going back to the gym after the run for the strength training and stretching. My original coach left the gym. I took a Winter break from running and one morning at the gym I asked the manager if my next coach could also be specialized in running. I wanted that person to assess my form, to be sure that I would be doing myself more good than bad. I was also looking to complement my training plan with some outdoor running. Finally, I had started to learn about racing and it looked fun but didn’t know how to get there. This new coach gave me ankle reinforcement exercises, a training plan and some nutrition and gear advice. I also learnt a great deal from this board. I eventually continued growing as a runner, without a coach, using plans from the same book. It is only after a bit of stagnation after Dopey and the cancellation of all races that I contacted Billy in the Fall 2020. He has been my virtual coach since then. I find that it help to have someone with whom to bounce ideas, to analyze progress and to be accountable to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter