The planning is done….NOW WHAT????

Most of the resturnat choices were made to just get out of the midday crowds and heat….

I have no illusions of getting really good food at DL, same as in WDW….

Even WDW best restaurants pale against most fine dining …we are pretty big foodies, and we will get that part of the trip in LA and Beverly Hills the days before we make it to DL.

We have eaten at every place at WDW, and none of them really are great on the food….maybe California Grill ….

BB is a request from my son for his graduation so, as over priced as it is…that one has to stay. I feel the same about BB as I do about San Angel in Epcot, its about the atmosphere, not the food.

There are not alot of server based sit downs to really choose from in park. Mostly I chose them for AC and varied menu for my vegetarian wife and braces laden son. We plan on snacking a whole bunch, so those meals will be more of a break period +food.

Me , I could live on Churros, Hot Dogs and mickey bars for the week !! LOL

For a great and easy breakfast try Jolly Holiday at Disneyland and Pym's at DCA. I mobile ordered from both for breakfast and it worked out really well. If people in your party get peckish without breakfast first thing, pick up some muffins or yogurt for the hotel before you leave for the parks.

Where are you staying? Does your hotel have breakfast?

My family disagrees on the beignets. We all thought the RB regular beignets were slightly better than the DL regular beignets, they vastly preferred the special banana ones at DL over the cookies & cream at RB, and this family loves cookies & cream. I think the beignets are worth getting inside DL to eat while sipping a mint julep. They are just about as good as RB, the special seasonal flavors can be quite fun, and nothing beats eating them within NOS while sipping a julep!

First DL trip….
Been to literally dozens and dozens of WDW.

We are doing 4 days, Half day at DCA, then DL, DCA, and last day back to DL.

Rope Drop each day;
Lamplight dinner first half day at DCA,
2nd Day at DL Trader Sams, Lunch
3rd Day DCA , Lunch , La Brea ,
Last DL day is Breakfast at Carnation, lunch Blue Bayou.

We Plan on grazing for in between for all the good snacks, and hitting a Mobile order for dinners…Eyeballing Pacific warf in DCA, and New Orleans cafe at DL…

Browsing and saving the snacks is a great call… we know we want to do Mickey Beignets and Churros for sure.

Breakfast is a mystery for the trip due to the ripe drop strategy.
Thoughts from someone who just got back...

Trader Sam's was great. Super small - smaller than I expected even! - but very fun. The food was good and the prices (for food) were only slightly higher than home (PDX).

Breakfast for rope drop - where are you staying? Is it possible to do food in the room? We found that breakfast for rope drop was easiest when we could just grab and go. We ordered hard boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, lunchmeat, and fruit to be delivered via Amazon and kept it in the fridge in the room. Each morning, we'd grab an egg or two, fix a bagel, or have a bagel sandwich and eat it on our way to the park. Kept us from using valuable park time to eat breakfast.

We really liked Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta in DCA, but our needs are a bit different because I'm gluten-free. The chef salad at Galactic Grill was really good - filling, and a good price.

What's your RD strategy? And are you guys open to single rider lines?

Thoughts from someone who just got back...

Trader Sam's was great. Super small - smaller than I expected even! - but very fun. The food was good and the prices (for food) were only slightly higher than home (PDX).

Breakfast for rope drop - where are you staying? Is it possible to do food in the room? We found that breakfast for rope drop was easiest when we could just grab and go. We ordered hard boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, lunchmeat, and fruit to be delivered via Amazon and kept it in the fridge in the room. Each morning, we'd grab an egg or two, fix a bagel, or have a bagel sandwich and eat it on our way to the park. Kept us from using valuable park time to eat breakfast.

We really liked Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta in DCA, but our needs are a bit different because I'm gluten-free. The chef salad at Galactic Grill was really good - filling, and a good price.

What's your RD strategy? And are you guys open to single rider lines?
We plan on trying to RD every day. First DL day we will see how close to ROTR we actually get. We want to ride several times so , it will depend on if we can get as far as the caves. Quick story, I was first on line at HS l2 years back for ROTR when its was virtual que. Got BG 2….so I am usually at the park gate within the first 50 or so people….I mean , who can sleep a night before rope drop anyway.

Second DL RD will be tomorrowland, Space Matterhorn. Its basically a left side galaxy's edge one day, and right side the next day.

I really have no point of reference for DCA. We are doing Carsland the first half day we goto DCA just to see it at sunset and nighttime. So ILL for RSR, and then what ever we want to do after. We have G+ for all days, so its more about getting those second rides in.

Honestly all I can think for DCA is to rope drop Avengers campus for Webslingers and GOTG.

So thoughts welcome.

l’ll post a mega prep thread with all my brains ideas soon….what else am I gonna do!?!?!

Most of the resturnat choices were made to just get out of the midday crowds and heat….
If this is your primary motivation for an ADR then I would re-think La Brea since most if not all of their seating is outdoors. One side is shaded under a semi-permanent structure and the other is tables with umbrellas, I believe, but we're not talking fully indoor and air conditioned here and the tables with just umbrellas may be more exposed than you'd like too. I also agree with PP that La Brea is mediocre at best anyway so I'd probably skip it for other reasons as well. I'd try for something at WCT maybe? It is a mix of semi-indoor and outdoor seating but at least is inside the park and the outdoor tables are pretty well shaded.

Also note that you may be seated outside at LLL as well, though I still find the outdoor tables pleasant and relaxing next to the lagoon and we really enjoy the food there. LLL brunch is AWESOME if you are there Fri-Sun and can score a reservation-I've had good luck getting them on day before cancellations.

If fully indoor lunch with AC is important, at DCA Flo's has an indoor, air conditioned seating area though finding a table at peak lunch time is sometimes challenging. Go a little early or a little late and you should be OK though. There's also some indoor air conditioned seating at Smokejumpers and Fiddler Fifer & Practical (though the latter is Starbucks so food options are limited).

BUT I WANT TO WATCH THE AVENGERS SHOW!!!!!!!!

I swear it took us about 10 minutes of circling till we finally found someone leaving. I didn't know about the Hyperion seating until after we got back from our trip. Disney doesn't do a good job of letting you know about it.
So, interestingly, when you use mobile order, a small note appears on the screen when your order is ready, that mentions the additional seating and where it is located. It's easy to miss. I agree that Disney needs to do a MUCH better job with signage directing people there.

I have told SO many people about it when I've been waiting outside for my mobile order to be ready and I see people with full trays circling around looking desperate. They are always so grateful for the information. It shouldn't be necessary for me to have to do that.

I have no illusions of getting really good food at DL, same as in WDW….

Even WDW best restaurants pale against most fine dining …we are pretty big foodies, and we will get that part of the trip in LA and Beverly Hills the days before we make it to DL.

We have eaten at every place at WDW, and none of them really are great on the food….maybe California Grill ….

BB is a request from my son for his graduation so, as over priced as it is…that one has to stay. I feel the same about BB as I do about San Angel in Epcot, its about the atmosphere, not the food.

There are not alot of server based sit downs to really choose from in park. Mostly I chose them for AC and varied menu for my vegetarian wife and braces laden son. We plan on snacking a whole bunch, so those meals will be more of a break period +food.

Me , I could live on Churros, Hot Dogs and mickey bars for the week !! LOL
Ah, but the food at Disneyland IS GOOD. It FAR exceeds what is offered at WDW, in terms of counter service. Here is where the TS places aren't as good overall. The only actual good food at TS locations at DLR are at Lamplight, Napa Rose, and Carthay Circle. The rest is average and forgettable.

I also want to point out that most CS locations in the parks HAVE INDOOR SEATING with great AC. Smokejumpers Grill may be the coldest restaurant in existence. And thankfully, the summer has been mild so far, so you may not really feel the urgent need for a break like you do at WDW. The heat and humidity there is ruthless.

My son has braces too. The only thing he can't eat in the parks is popcorn, which he doesn't like anyway. Nothing else has been an issue over the 2 years he has had them.

And if you wife likes Impossible meat, she is in luck, because it is EVERYWHERE. DLR does a far better job accommodating vegetarians than WDW does, overall. You will actually find more veg options at the CS places. The TS all have extremely limited menus.

Just some food for thought. 😆

varied menu for my vegetarian wife
I highly recommend the Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear! I prefer it with the Onion Rings over the Fries ... it is a super filling meal!

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/article/Disneyland-brings-back-a-secret-menu-item-17206613.php
2400x0.jpg

I just want to second the beignets in DtD. They are great and I always feel disappointed by the ones in the park like I paid for air. We usually don’t go to the parks on arrival day and that’s when we go to DtD and get our beignets.

The one caveat is that I am a huge banana fan so if they still have the banana beignets next time we go I am going to try them. But I will have low expectations even with my love for all things banana.

Wife is eyeballing that one already…

How are the meatless options in DL and DCA.

I see alot of impossible meat choices…
I'm an omnivore ... that Tomato sandwich was my "best idea" for the meatless category. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post?

I just want to second the beignets in DtD. They are great and I always feel disappointed by the ones in the park like I paid for air. We usually don’t go to the parks on arrival day and that’s when we go to DtD and get our beignets.
LOL! We are the exact opposite, it seems. We enjoy beignets from the DtD Jazz Kitchen Express on our check-out morning. It is one of our happy habits!

Same here for me, 33 long days and nights until our trip. I constanly check menus for our ADRs, praying the things we like stay on! I'm also checking park hours, show times, parades etc. Disney usually like to mess with it all in between finalising our plans and check in.

Skip the MICKEY beignets. Get Beignets at Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen Express in DtD. Those are the good ones. If you want a sweet snack in New Orleans Square, the fritters at Royal Verandah are FAR BETTER than the Mickey Beignets. They are
DITTO on this…just came back, had beignets both places. Had to ask for redo at Mint Julep because they were cold and yucky, and this was still early morning. I think they had made ahead of time in case they got busy. At BrenNan’s, they were fresh, hot and covered in sugar…YUM

Lots of great advice! I'm going to add my 2 cents to the Blue Bayou debate. Yeah, it's overpriced. The food quality used to be excellent but now it's just good with a few things not good at all (the fillet has been very disappointing). The thing is, the price is still set for excellent quality so it makes people mad to pay that much for food that isn't spectacular. However, there are some items that I think are worth the money because the food plus the wonderful, unique setting bumps up the value considerably. I always get the Monte Cristo now and I share it if someone in my party is willing. If you start off with a delicious adult beverage (love that Hurricane drink), it mellows your view of the cost and helps take the edge off when the bill comes, ha ha. The creme brulee is also really good.

Anyway, just wanted to give you my perspective. It's a fun experience I'd recommend to those who've not been to DL before, but there are also some decent food options. Do stay away from the filet and the surf n turf if that's still on the menu. Used to be my favorite but the last time I had the S&T, it was inedible.

How are the meatless options in DL and DCA.

I see alot of impossible meat choices…

I'm vegetarian and my family is mostly vegetarian. At Disneyland, we love Rontoless Wraps and the Jolly Holiday Combo (I know it's "just" grilled cheese and soup, but it's one of the best I've ever tasted!"). We also like the food at Rancho Del Zocalo. At DCA the Asian Tofu Salad at Pacific Wharf is SO good. I get it every time we go. I have to find a copycat recipe. We also like the Impossible Bahn Mi at Lucky Fortune Cookery, I've had both the full size and the kid's size, depending how hungry I am.

I am looking forward to trying the Fried Tomato Sandwich at Hungry Bear next trip. And I want to try the Bonsoir Chili Cheese Poutine at Red Rose Tavern. Keeping tabs on all the Disneyland foods I want to try is one of my favorite things to do while we wait for our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter