The Perils of International Travel during Covid

aggiedog

DIS Veteran
Not sure where to put this, so I'm just starting a new thread. I posted this spring about our trip to Morocco and how our Air France flight home had been changed to require a 16 hr overnight in the Paris airport. We ultimately canceled it and changed to Air Maroc direct to JFK, which was good because 2 days later all flights in/through France were canceled anyways due to a Covid surge.

We are supposed to be leaving for a Danube river cruise with Avalon next weekend. Yesterday, we received an email from American that "your flight has been changed but we were unable to rebook you." Dh calls American, is told they are busy, please leave your number and they will call you back "between 2 1/2 and 11 hours from now." Nice. He tries again this morning, gets a human, and finds out our entire journey home has been canceled and the next flight they can get us on leaves TEN days later. Say what?

No resolution yet. So frustrating.

Also, we live in a rural area, so there is exactly 1 rapid result Covid PCR testing site within an hour of us. They are no longer doing rapid result travel tests because the number of sick Covid patients they are having to do. So, I have to find somewhere I can go late after work in one of the big cities around us. We leave on a Sunday, so there's Saturday as well, but that cuts it too close for my comfort. We're also not entirely sure what we need, since we are flying thru London, to the Czech Republic, and Avalon requires a negative test to board the boat, but we'll be in Prague for 36 hours prior, but at a hotel Avalon booked for us so our TA says that should count as "the beginning of Avalon sponsored tour." If not, we'll need to find somewhere to be tested in Prague or they leave us on the pier?? We're both fully vaccinated, and I'm getting a booster this afternoon.

All of this is better than getting Covid, or being left in Afghanistan, so I really can't complain, but it is sapping the fun out of anticipating our vacation.

I agree that traveling internationally during COVID adds an extra layer of stress and risk! We returned from Barcelona two weeks ago and brought at home tests from Abbott with us for our COVID test to get back into the country. You may consider taking this in the US before you leave. You can order a 6 pack for $150 through emed.com; I ordered around 2pm ET and received it the next morning (and a co-worker had a similar experience with their shipping). Test needs to be done on video with a rep and is easy to do - takes about 15 min. However, we ran into long wait times when we took ours and eventually found out from their customer service that we could go through their Spanish website with no wait (the rep spoke English once we got through). If you end up waiting more than 30 minutes, I'd call Customer Service and they will walk you through the questions on the Spanish site. The results are loaded on an app and we had no issues showing it to Delta when we checked in to our flight.

Good luck and have a fun vacation!

That is *horrid*!!

Have you started looking at alternative airline flights to book? If American can't accommodate you any better than a flight ten days later, they totally, absolutely owe you a refund of the entire ticket. I don't know if buying a flight elsewhere is an option at this short notice, but I would definitely look into it. Or see if you can keep the flight *to* the Czech Republic, and get a refund for the cancelled leg, and buy a second, one-way flight home with another airline? American can't just abandon you for ten days. They need to do something to better accommodate you, or give you a refund.

Sayhello

I feel your pain. We ended up cancelling our ABD Rhine cruise for just these sort of issues. We were planning to transfer through the UK on separate tickets and that even opened a bigger can of worms as one of the EU countries (I can't remember which) rehired a quarantine for anyone transiting through the UK. Ugh. So make sure to check with the all the countries for passengers arriving from the UK as some had a 10 day thing too (IOW not just Czech but whatever country you are flying into for your cruise). So sorry this is turning into a stress for you!!!

So sorry to hear this. I appreciate you and others sharing their international travels & prep experiences this year. It helps me to stay updated on realities, as other sites, articles, marketing emails, etc, push forward bookings with things being more “open” than I think they really are. I just can’t get comfortable with international travel yet, much as I’d like to, because of potential for things like this.

Be sure to clarify with Avalon, not your TA, what day they say qualifies as the start for required pre-tour test timing. AbD timing does not count pre-nights even with booked with AbD; they go by the actual adventure start date.

@nifferearly has a great idea to use home test kits for both start and end of travel testing. I was just reading about how many testing sites closed in the spring when numbers were down, and some have not yet reopened thus overwhelming the remaining sites. So home testing may be the least stressful option there.

Good luck and safe travels.

This may or may not be feasible for you, but if you can find any flights from American to a city within a few hours from your destination, with a large train station, look into it.

I say that because train travel in Europe is fantastic, and I may just be using that option for our trip home from Budapest in October. A flight from Munich offers us more options back to the US than a flight from Budapest. The train from Budapest to Munich is about 6.5 hours. The scenery will be lovely, it will be relaxing, and it is looking like a better option than 3 connections with American/British Airways on the date we need to depart.

Good ideas about home testing and the train. I'll talk to DH when I get home. To top it all off, we got hit by lightning 2 days ago, which fried our computer. He's run to the city this afternoon to buy a new computer. Searching options will be easier once we can look on something bigger than our phones.

Good ideas about home testing and the train. I'll talk to DH when I get home. To top it all off, we got hit by lightning 2 days ago, which fried our computer. He's run to the city this afternoon to buy a new computer. Searching options will be easier once we can look on something bigger than our phones.
Boy, you are NOT having a good week!! I hope things improve for you!!!

Sayhello

We are currently in Europe on a Tauck trip. We had similar issues with flights. The day we were supposed to leave United canceled our flight without notifying us or rebooking. I only found out when I went to check in. We luckily were able to get flights the next day. While I always recommend going early it is even more critical now. Flights are just a total mess and nearly everyone on our Tauck trip had some type of issue.
In terms of testing we have been in Switzerland Austria and Germany. Testing options are very prevalent. There are even options in most hotels. So that has been less of an issue than I thought.
We are having a great trip but you definitely need more patience and flexibility than you would precovid. And you definitely need to be ok with spending a lot of the trip in masks.

Update- DH found a flight that leaves 6 hours later, and requires an overnight at Heathrow airport, which we have a reservation for the hotel in the airport now. Much better than 10 days later! The American agent couldn't really explain why that wasn't an option from them, except that "you'll have to pay for the hotel yourselves." Well, that's better than the $6,000 it was going to cost me to get a new flight from someone else. They were willing to refund our ticket, but we got it when prices were good and now they are not.

I'm glad the testing sites in Europe are easy to find. That's one less thing to worry about.

It's been a bad week. Our cat died, my MIL fell in her assisted living and will be transferred to a nursing home for rehab on Monday, we're still finding things the lightning strike took out, my hairdresser abruptly retired due to medical issues (hey, that's a problem when I leave in a week for 3 weeks, and I have short hair that gets cut/colored every 4 weeks! LOL) DH keeps saying he's waiting for a piano to fall on him.

Update- DH found a flight that leaves 6 hours later, and requires an overnight at Heathrow airport, which we have a reservation for the hotel in the airport now. Much better than 10 days later! The American agent couldn't really explain why that wasn't an option from them, except that "you'll have to pay for the hotel yourselves." Well, that's better than the $6,000 it was going to cost me to get a new flight from someone else. They were willing to refund our ticket, but we got it when prices were good and now they are not.

I'm glad the testing sites in Europe are easy to find. That's one less thing to worry about.

It's been a bad week. Our cat died, my MIL fell in her assisted living and will be transferred to a nursing home for rehab on Monday, we're still finding things the lightning strike took out, my hairdresser abruptly retired due to medical issues (hey, that's a problem when I leave in a week for 3 weeks, and I have short hair that gets cut/colored every 4 weeks! LOL) DH keeps saying he's waiting for a piano to fall on him.

Yikes! That's a whole lot of bad things to deal with at once. You mentioned having gone to Morocco; if you picked up a Hand of Fatima (also known as Hand of Hamsa), better start yelling at it to get working.

We didn't even make our trip, myself and 3 children all got positive results on our pre flight test 🙈

Don't think I can face the hassle of rebooking anything.

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

We don't have any hands, but I did get a collection of eyes to turn away the evil eye. Perhaps they aren't working??

I've also been telling DH he needs to sit down and figure out testing and entry requirements. He blew me off until this morning, and after a few hours on the computer, admitted it was, indeed, complicated. There are different requirements, and forms needed (not all of them entirely in English), for our airline, England (even though we are not leaving the airport), the Czech Republic, and our river cruise company.

Horror stories like this have led us to just forget about foreign travel for the immediate future. We’re also only taking driving trips in the US and are avoiding the cootie-ridden Southern states. Our daughter, a US citizen with Permanent Residency in Canada, just came for a visit, though. Fully vaccinated, she just needed pre-travel negative molecular Covid tests on both ends. She has to keep track of her contacts for two weeks in Canada to facilitate contact tracing if she develops symptoms. Lots of masking in public during her visit and no visits to unvaccinated relatives.

just forget about foreign travel for the immediate future.

That's what we are doing as well. There are just too many things that need to fall into place (testing requirements, ever changing itineraries, keeping on top of the most updated country requirements and travel advisories) for things to go smoothly and that means too much anxiety to be able to enjoy that kind of vacation. And that's besides the potential of dealing with Covid while in another country. I sure am missing my vacations though.

That's what we are doing as well. There are just too many things that need to fall into place (testing requirements, ever changing itineraries, keeping on top of the most updated country requirements and travel advisories) for things to go smoothly and that means too much anxiety to be able to enjoy that kind of vacation. And that's besides the potential of dealing with Covid while in another country. I sure am missing my vacations though.
Exactly. And Amen!

Sayhello

It took posting on TripAdvisor and having a Czech local tell us which parts of the hotel address to put on the online form to do our Czech passenger locator form.

As for traveling, since I live in a cootie infested southern state, looking at Covid rates in the part of Europe we're going to, between that and not being at my job, I may actually be a lower risk while traveling. Sad.

As far as testing - I just returned from Greece and we brought he Abbott home test kits with us as well. It did take longer than it should have for shipping - it was supposed to be overnight, but I ended up ordering them on a Friday and didn't receive them until the following Wednesday - so just something to be aware of. We had no issues waiting for a proctor on a video call - they seem to have resolved their wait time problems from a few weeks ago and we got through right away. Super easy and convenient to do. Though I will say, there were options all over for getting rapid or quick result PCR tests - much more availability than it seems we have in the US. All hotels we were at also had the option to have someone come to the hotel and give you a rapid or PCR test right there for pretty reasonable prices. From what I've read, it seems that's pretty common in much of Europe right now.

yep I cancelled everything. nothing is worth the risk of leaving my child without a parent, and I certainly don't want to give her any lifelong physical disorders.

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

We don't have any hands, but I did get a collection of eyes to turn away the evil eye. Perhaps they aren't working??

I've also been telling DH he needs to sit down and figure out testing and entry requirements. He blew me off until this morning, and after a few hours on the computer, admitted it was, indeed, complicated. There are different requirements, and forms needed (not all of them entirely in English), for our airline, England (even though we are not leaving the airport), the Czech Republic, and our river cruise company.

We were due to travel from UK to Spain 😭 luckily I had booked a great apartment with excellent cancellation policy , which was also pay on arrival. I had booked my flights with a low cost airline and although changes were possible changing to new dates would have cost us more than buying brand new flights so I did loose the cost of the flights.

I still haven't rebooked it as we had to wait a certain number of days after the positive test to fly anyway and also I have been doing lateral flow/ rapid antigen tests at home and myself and 1 child keep getting random positive results back ( 20 days after initial positive test) .so I'm apprehensive about booking again and it happening again on the pre departure or even worse when we are trying to return home.

Wish I had kept it a secret from the kids though they r pretty disappointed, it's certainly not been the school holiday we hoped. 😟

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter