The officially un-official tips and what we learned from our trip (All Star Sports)

a) $10 appetizer + $8 martini + $20 Entree + $7 desert = $45 total

b) $38 entree + $7 desert = $45 total

With the dining plan you get option B - period.

With OOP, you pick option a or option b -- you have the choice. And it costs the same amount.

Im asking what your POINT is.

80% of people go 4 days or more. So its going to be $2.50 per day for almost everyone who goes.

So im asking again - what is your POINT?

That the Dining Plan is worth it because there are som restaurants where you can order one of the more expensive meals, but not THE most expensive? Bahaha.

No.

My point is your blanket statement that it cost more. Some people go less than 4 days.

Also, you are the one saying you HAVE to order the most expensive item or you lose money and its not true. Its about even.

Did you eat at your resort everyday? If not you PAID for drinks so that cost counts.

Im not saying you SAVE money. Just that IF you eat that way, its about even in pricing.

My point is your blanket statement that it cost more. Some people go less than 4 days.

Also, you are the one saying you HAVE to order the most expensive item or you lose money and its not true. Its about even.

Did you eat at your resort everyday? If not you PAID for drinks so that cost counts.

Im not saying you SAVE money. Just that IF you eat that way, its about even in pricing.

No

Im not saying any of that.

You keep assuming NON SENSE because you dont know how to follow a conversation.

Youre jumping into convos between other people and inferring incorrectly. We were talking about IF you eat a resort restaurant because that particular poster DID eat at resort restaurant.

:sad2: Oh for pity's sake....believe, don't believe....whatever! OP made a statement regarding what worked for them. If that is not your experience, fine. All I can do is shake my head as you demand "proof" and then argue that what OP has offered isn't sufficient for you.

OP- you will never be able to convince everyone that you really saved, so why bother trying? You made your statement and backed it with your numbers. You could post screen shots and likely still be accused of missing receipts. Thanks for sharing your experiences....

Good points.

:grouphug:

a) $10 appetizer + $8 martini + $20 Entree + $7 desert = $45 total

b) $38 entree + $7 desert = $45 total

With the dining plan you get option B - period.

With OOP, you pick option a or option b -- you have the choice. And it costs the same amount.

But thats not the original point. Your assertion was people are losing money with ddp if they ate the same way oop. Glad it works for you. And ironically, I do the same thing you do. Better value and flexibility for me unless its free. Anyways...glad yall had a good time.

The heck with the money difference. If we didn't have the dining plan I would have to deal with my wife freaking out about the cost of each meal each day. If she can just order the plan it doesn't freak her out. We also wouldn't be doing a table service meal every day because the cost would also freak her out. You may think that is stupid but I'm the one married to her and if it helps keep her happy and able to enjoy the vacation then I don't care what anyone else thinks.

I think people that get so angry that other people use the DDP can't understand the peace of mind it can bring to others having that budgeted and paid for. Then they'll mention getting a prepaid card so it is all paid in advance and you don't have to worry about the budget. Oh no! How much is left on the card? I better get this cheap thing or skip that table service meal. Time to start yelling at the kids for not eating their expensive meal. No thanks. I'll just scan my magic band and get what I want. Same for everyone else in the family.

See for me it's the exact opposite. On the DDP I feel like I CAN'T order exactly what I want because I've already prepaid.

OOP I can order exactly what I want because I know I'll only pay for what I actually want.

Same for my family. I admit- I cannot understand your way of thinking you are right, I would rather pay for what I want to eat and drink

But thats not the original point. Your assertion was people are losing money with ddp if they ate the same way oop. Glad it works for you. And ironically, I do the same thing you do. Better value and flexibility for me unless its free. Anyways...glad yall had a good time.

You WILL unless you are buying the most expensive items.

Which is the entire point of the post that YOU QUOTED.

For the same amount you spent on dining plan you could get WAY MORE food.

No. We shared 2 appetizers, each got an entree and each a desert.

This has been PROVEN time and again. Mathematicians online have posted their formulas showing dining to be a ripoff. The only way to even out or come out ahead is to purposely order the most expensive entree EVERY TIME no matter what.

My real world experience just further proves it.

Phone. But what's the difference. You look and click a button on both.

Note the highlighted portion. Your words. Thats what I was debating.

See for me it's the exact opposite. On the DDP I feel like I CAN'T order exactly what I want because I've already prepaid.

OOP I can order exactly what I want because I know I'll only pay for what I actually want.

Same for my family. I admit- I cannot understand your way of thinking you are right, I would rather pay for what I want to eat and drink

I'm not like this but understand because I know many that are. Say Person 1 is REALLY in the mood for a steak, but it's $38. The chicken is $20 and the pasta is $15. Paying OOP, Person 1 would likely end up getting the chicken because they can get essentially get 2 chicken entrees for the price of 1 steak entree. If you have 6 people in the family, you're talking a potential difference of ~$100 in the cost of entrees alone. On the DDP, Person 1 gets the steak and orders a dessert because it's not $8.50 now it's just included with the credit. And with the dessert, why not order the $5 cappuccino too.

Not a fair savings comparison because you could say if they were paying OOP they'd order chicken or pasta so it'd have cost $20 vs whatever the TS breakout for the day is. But mentally, they're eating more because maybe (or maybe not) it IS something they really wanted but the sticker shock is too much that makes it not worth ordering if paying OOP.

I'm not like this but understand because I know many that are. Say Person 1 is REALLY in the mood for a steak, but it's $38. The chicken is $20 and the pasta is $15. Paying OOP, Person 1 would likely end up getting the chicken because they can get essentially get 2 chicken entrees for the price of 1 steak entree. If you have 6 people in the family, you're talking a potential difference of ~$100 in the cost of entrees alone. On the DDP, Person 1 gets the steak and orders a dessert because it's not $8.50 now it's just included with the credit. And with the dessert, why not order the $5 cappuccino too.

Not a fair savings comparison because you could say if they were paying OOP they'd order chicken or pasta so it'd have cost $20 vs whatever the TS breakout for the day is. But mentally, they're eating more because maybe (or maybe not) it IS something they really wanted but the sticker shock is too much that makes it not worth ordering if paying OOP.

Thats pyschology.

Were talking about VALUE.

At the end, youre going to spend the same or LESS.

My take on the Disney Dining plans is that Disney wouldn't offer them if they didn't make a profit on them. I'm sure there are people who break even or even come out ahead depending on what they order, but I'm sure the vast majority of people end up eating less than what they paid for.

That being said, I totally get why some people prefer to get the dining plan. It's the same reason people take all-inclusive trips and cruises. It's fun when things "feel" free in the moment.

The Disney resorts are another good example. The price you pay for a room includes housekeeping, building maintenance and overhead, staffing, facility upkeep, Disney's profit margin, etc. But, you pay one price for your room. Pretend for a moment that your resort stay was a-la-carte. Imagine it cost only $100 per night to stay at the GF, but then they charged you $10 every time you stepped foot in the pool, or $5 every time you requested that your bed be made. Sure, maybe at the end of the day you'd spend less for your resort stay, but you would probably forgo a lot of those awesome conveniences and niceties because you'd be thinking about how much you're spending on them.

That's how I see the dining plans...pay ahead and then relax and forget how much they are actually charging you for the individual experiences.

Thats pyschology.

Agreed. Trying to clarify a PP point about the comfort of the DDP.

I do agree but note an exception if you have children under 10, there is value there. I posted the breakdown in a previous post. For the adults, we spend about the same (assuming QS few desserts and mostly drinking water, TS sharing desserts when not at a fixed price meal) but for kids, a fixed price dinner is the same as their DDP cost for the day so there is clearly value there.

The original DDP had more intangible value since it made it " cashless " for your older kids ( tips were included ) so you could teach them the plan and they could manage.

The current version is designed by a group of actuaries that calculate exactly what will be used / wasted, and then they build in some for the cost of administering/marketing the program. Free dining is not free they just add in the cost of the promotion to the paid rate for the other seasons ( and your overpaying for your room to cover)

DDP has added benefits for Disney in locking you into their restaurants, and allowing them to negotiate favorable contracts with restaurants that accept the points I am pretty sure restaurants don't get dollar for dollar vs a cash customer ( just like credit cards take their cut.)

Based on that and the lack of intangible benefits ( you still need cash ) - I will go further and state you will can not come out ahead on DDP.

You WILL unless you are buying the most expensive items.

Which is the entire point of the post that YOU QUOTED.

For the same amount you spent on dining plan you could get WAY MORE food.

Epcot- Electric umbrella
Vegetable Flatbread - tomato pesto topped with mushrooms, feta cheese and arugula $9.99
Hand Tossed Caesar Salad - romaine, grilled chicken, Parmesan and Caesar dressing $7.99
Drinks-2.99 +2.99
Strawberry Cheesecake $3.99
Fruit Cup $3.79

Snacks-
Frozen Banana - covered in nuts $3.75
Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade Cup $3.75

Dinner-Marrekesh
Lemon Chicken Tangine - braised half chicken with garlic, green olives, and preserved lemon $25.99
Chicken Kebabs - brochettes of chicken breast, olive salad and dried fruit sweet couscous $24.99
Marrakesh Delight - fresh fruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water $5.99
Moroccan Symphony - Assorted Moroccan baklavas $6.99
drinks- 2.99+2.99

drinks at resort- 2.50 +2.50

With tax again at about 122.00

Epcot- Electric umbrella
Vegetable Flatbread - tomato pesto topped with mushrooms, feta cheese and arugula $9.99
Hand Tossed Caesar Salad - romaine, grilled chicken, Parmesan and Caesar dressing $7.99
Drinks-2.99 +2.99
Fruit Cup $3.79

Snacks-

Dinner-Marrekesh
Lemon Chicken Tangine - braised half chicken with garlic, green olives, and preserved lemon $25.99
Chicken Kebabs - brochettes of chicken breast, olive salad and dried fruit sweet couscous $24.99
Marrakesh Delight - fresh fruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water $5.99
drinks- 2.99+2.99

Off topic but this reminds me of this past weekend, went to a local fair. Prices were so crazy I actually said to my bf that I wished they had a dining plan. It was a really hot day, 2 adults:
grilled chicken sandwich - $8 (a la carte, fries another $4.50 - not happening)
sausage & peppers on a roll - $8 (a la carte, see above)
1 soda - $4
1 frozen slushie drink - $4
snacks - 1 soda $4 and 1 chocolate covered frozen banana $4
Total spent was $32 and we didn't order what we wanted because it was all outrageous and quite frankly, nothing looked really appealing anyway except for maybe a $10 blooming onion or $10 heaping plate of baked chips - neither of which was happening. Cash only! :crazy2:

I guess if I have a point, it's that all this food is overpriced and not "worth it" in everyday situations but they have us trapped there (unless you rent a car) and we're overspending whether OOP or DDP. Whatever. To each their own.

Thats pyschology.

While I *agree* with you that the DDP is not worth it (to *us*), the way your posts are coming across - at least to me - is like you're taking it as a personal affront that others might think the DDP is worth it to them. That is baffling to me.

Many people on the DIS understand the monetary component of the DDP - certainly more people here than I'd expect to find in the general public - and yet many still find it of value to them. That word value seems to be a sticking point with you because you are only equating it to the monetary meaning. There is more to the value or worth of something than the cost. The psychology you're referring to in the quoted post? The peace of mind that others have brought up that comes with all-inclusive things (like the DDP, places like Sandals, Cruises) - that IS a value to some people. That's not to say it is a monetary value, necessarily, but it *is* something people feel is worth paying for.

You don't agree, and it doesn't work for your family - that's fine! No one on this thread is saying you should do any differently for yourself and your family. But it not working for you doesn't mean it isn't worth it to some other family. It's not personal, it's not that they don't understand what you're saying (which is how many of your posts are coming across) - they have the same information you do, they understand it like you do - they just choose to use that information differently for their family.

Epcot- Electric umbrella
Drinks-2.99 +2.99
Fruit Cup $3.79

Snacks-

Dinner-Marrekesh
drinks- 2.99+2.99

Are you trying to make my point for me? If so, thanks!

Reading through this thread I couldn't help but, pull up the outline I had done over a year ago when dreaming of a Disney vacation. I went through all the places we would likely want to eat at each park, each day and which other ones. I looked at the menus and knowing my family's tastes wrote down what each would likely order. And I did include steaks, which typically we don't but, on vacation we would. I added 20% tip and enough alcohol for DH and I ;) and paying OOP was about $60 cheaper. We only had one character meal though because I have boys who aren't into princesses. And that meal would likely go away now since Handy Manny is getting phased out if he isn't already gone.

All this being said, I would likely do the dining IF staying onsite for the convenience of not having to worry about budgeting meals while there. I love the idea of not keeping track of what we have left to spend or looking at receipts each night. I would however, more than likely, be staying offsite anyhow because I can not fathom having 2 boys in a hotel room so dang small vs. a condo at WBC. That factored in with the lazy rivers and awesome pools and I am pretty much sold on it. I can see the value in the DDP but, I also see those who say it's not worth it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter