The officially un-official tips and what we learned from our trip (All Star Sports)

microscopes

Mouseketeer
All Star Sports 7/3/14 to 7/10/14

In no particular order:

• Biggest pet peeve - Disney, you are a multi-billion dollar corporation. You couldnt have created a MagicBand system that worked whether its upside down, rightside up, sideways, a foot away or whatever? Seriously? The whole trip i watched people have to be told to exactly match up the Mickey's. Being a computer saavy/programmer guy myself, they should have made it so the system could read the chip from any angle. Ridiculous.

• Ohana is excellent. I was worried after reading reviews from those who said it has changed and went downhill. If it was better before, then I'm blown away. It was the best meal of the trip.

• Portobello's was awful and probably one of the worst meals i've had in a long time. The worst PIZZA i've ever had and that includes Chuck-E-Cheese.

• The massive renovations in downtown Disney will be awesome for the future but SUCKS for those going now. Takes away from the whole atmosphere by the river. Oh well. Here's to the future I suppose :hippie:

• I liked Fastpasses the way they were when they were first introduced. You went up to the ride, and grabbed a fastpass from the machine. The CM's blocking the standby line to let fastpass people go through is just annoying. Let the lines merge naturally like they used to in the "olden" (lol) days.

• Did the Luau. Had to laugh at all the reviews calling it "corny". It's no more corny than every single Disney show on property. Food isn't amazing but it was a fun time. That bread pudding dessert was amazing.

• I was disappointed that the "Cool Zone" or whatever it is called in Epcot is no longer FREEZING inside! This is my first trip to Disney in 9 years so obviously things change, but when I last went I remember an icy look to the outside and it being soooo cold inside. Now its just another store. Oh well.

• Disney sent us a cooler bag with our family name embroidered on it and popcorn, apples, candy, rice krispie treats, water, etc inside. Do they do this for everyone? I dont remember this last time.

• We brought out 8 month old little girl and still had a blast -- for all those wondering whether you can bring a baby to Disney and still have fun. YES!

• Our "preferred" room at All Star Sports was about as far back as some non-preferred rooms. I could throw a baseball to the hoops hotel from our room.

• For us, the resort drink cup was WORTH IT. We got about 25 drinks out of that for $17.99

• Dining is officially a WASTE OF MONEY. Sorry for those who already payed it. The math shows it, and now the actual experience does. We had 7 adults for 7 nights. It would have been $3,038 for us on the dining plan with 1 snack, 1 counter service, and 1 sit down each day. We passed, and got 2 appetizers, an entree, and dessert each at every sit down meal (dinner). We ordered to our hearts content for counter service including drinks and desert. We ate at Ohana, Portobellos, Luau, T-Rex, Grand Floridian Cafe, End Zone Food Court, and Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Total spent: $2600 ... and we hate more and had appetizers etc. If we stuck to the dining plan rules, we probably would had saved A TON more.

• By the 3rd day I officially wished we did the Memory Maker :( -- just would have been so much easier than finding someone to take our group pic every time and teaching them how to work the phone etc.

• It was extremely busy and all 3 all-stars were at near capacity from what I heard, however busses were never an issue. The mantra of Music and Movies being 2nd and last on the stops is way, way, way, way, way overblown. If youre going to MK or Epcot you wont EVER share a bus with another resort. If youre going somewhere like Downtown or Blizzard Beach where only 10 people from each resort are going at one time, then you *may* share a bus but it wont matter because so few people want to go at one time.

• Curious why they dont use extended busses for popular parks like MK and Epcot?

I want to go back RIGHT NOW!!! :)

I'll add more if I think of anything. :artist:

just so you know the memory maker photographers will take your picture using your own camera also so you really don't need to find anyone as 100% of them do it without issue (and then take a couple with their camera also which you have no obligation to do anything with).

I am sure they don't use extended busses because the bus stops in the all stars aren't set up for longer busses

As for this statement "We passed, and got 2 appetizers, an entree, and dessert each at every sit down meal (dinner). We ordered to our hearts content for counter service including drinks and desert" there is literally no way that this happened and saved you money over the dining plan, I don't think you kept all of your receipts. The dining plan isn't the best deal, but there is no way that you can order more food, not skip any meals and come out ahead. People who are coming out ahead are either skipping meals, sharing meals, or not ordering the huge amount of food included on the plan (soft drinks at all meals, desserts at all meals, snacks everyday etc)

Disney sent us a cooler bag with our family name embroidered on it and popcorn, apples, candy, rice krispie treats, water, etc inside. Do they do this for everyone? I dont remember this last time.

I think you are talking about this: http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/product/disneyfamilytreattote.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

You have to buy it, so o_O Maybe your wife got it? I never heard of Disney giving these, so lucky you guys if they did it!

I'm glad you had fun!!! Reading these always makes me super excited, so thank you for the tips :goodvibes:

I think you are talking about this: http://disneyworld.disneyfloralandgifts.com/product/disneyfamilytreattote.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

You have to buy it, so o_O Maybe your wife got it? I never heard of Disney giving these, so lucky you guys if they did it!

We got one of these last August. It was Minnie, but didn't have our family name on it. Mickey magic! We found it when we checked in to our room and it was just sitting there on the dresser. I can assure you, I didn't buy it :) We were pretty darn shocked!

All Star Sports 7/3/14 to 7/10/14
  • I liked Fastpasses the way they were when they were first introduced. You went up to the ride, and grabbed a fastpass from the machine. The CM's blocking the standby line to let fastpass people go through is just annoying. Let the lines merge naturally like they used to in the "olden" (lol) days.

Thanks for the information! The reason they added the CMs are twofold. 1) People in the standby line wouldn't let FP people in and the standbyers assumed these were just cutters so the CMs give them some "permission" to cut. 2) It lets Disney control how many FPs they let through at any given time.

We got one of these last August. It was Minnie, but didn't have our family name on it. Mickey magic! We found it when we checked in to our room and it was just sitting there on the dresser. I can assure you, I didn't buy it :) We were pretty darn shocked!

Wow! Really? That's super cool! I wonder if they are random 0:

Thanks for sharing! It will make me more alert to the need to "match Mickeys" so I'm not the doofus holding up a line ;)

Thanks for sharing! I'm also wondering if we shouldn't add memory maker. We take A LOT of pictures on our own anywhere we go, so I just assumed it would be no different at Disney for us. Has anyone ever gotten an annoyed reaction from a photographer when you asked them to use your camera? I don't like to be a pain in the rear.

Thanks for sharing! I'm also wondering if we shouldn't add memory maker. We take A LOT of pictures on our own anywhere we go, so I just assumed it would be no different at Disney for us. Has anyone ever gotten an annoyed reaction from a photographer when you asked them to use your camera? I don't like to be a pain in the rear.

Not annoyed, but they don't use our cameras as much as theirs. We've bought the photopass CDs before and plan on purchasing memory maker but have them use our camera too. On several occasions, they take 3-5 shots with their cameras, using different angles, zoom, etc, then just take a quick shot with our camera that isn't composed as well as theirs.

Not annoyed, but they don't use our cameras as much as theirs. We've bought the photopass CDs before and plan on purchasing memory maker but have them use our camera too. On several occasions, they take 3-5 shots with their cameras, using different angles, zoom, etc, then just take a quick shot with our camera that isn't composed as well as theirs.

Yep. That's my experience as well.

just so you know the memory maker photographers will take your picture using your own camera also so you really don't need to find anyone as 100% of them do it without issue (and then take a couple with their camera also which you have no obligation to do anything with).

I tried.

They begrudgingly did it. And by that I mean they looked worried like they were going to get in trouble and a little annoyed.

I am sure they don't use extended busses because the bus stops in the all stars aren't set up for longer busses

More than 1 bus is almost never at these steps so I don't think this would be an issue.

As for this statement "We passed, and got 2 appetizers, an entree, and dessert each at every sit down meal (dinner). We ordered to our hearts content for counter service including drinks and desert" there is literally no way that this happened and saved you money over the dining plan, I don't think you kept all of your receipts. The dining plan isn't the best deal, but there is no way that you can order more food, not skip any meals and come out ahead. People who are coming out ahead are either skipping meals, sharing meals, or not ordering the huge amount of food included on the plan (soft drinks at all meals, desserts at all meals, snacks everyday etc)

You're wrong.

I'll post the receipts and math later.

We went with almost exactly $3500 in a checking account for food. The math isn't hard.

I read that as this person and their spouse shared 2 appetizers, and entrée and a dessert at every dinner. If they shared like that, I could see some savings. And maybe they did more counter service than table service.

I tried.

They begrudgingly did it. And by that I mean they looked worried like they were going to get in trouble.

Was it an actual camera or a phone?

Another point in OPs favor is that you really have to order the most expensive item on the menu every single time in order to just break even on the DDP. If you want chicken or pasta, you're probably wasting your dining plan dollars.

Disney is not trying to save you money, they are trying to commit you to buying their food.

I read that as this person and their spouse shared 2 appetizers, and entrée and a dessert at every dinner. If they shared like that, I could see some savings. And maybe they did more counter service than table service.

No. We shared 2 appetizers, each got an entree and each a desert.

This has been PROVEN time and again. Mathematicians online have posted their formulas showing dining to be a ripoff. The only way to even out or come out ahead is to purposely order the most expensive entree EVERY TIME no matter what.

My real world experience just further proves it.

Was it an actual camera or a phone?

Phone. But what's the difference. You look and click a button on both.

I think some of your issues are just because you haven't been in 9 years.

I have never seen Standby and FastPass merge without a CM controlling the merge point. Although some CMs are better than others, we were stuck in standby for a very long time once at Tower of Terror as they were taking 2 from standby and 20 from FP, I expect at least 30% of each batch to come from standby to keep everything moving.

I was also disspointed when Coke changed from Ice Station to Club Cool, although its not really another gift shop, you can still get free drinks and I bought an awesome Sprite t-shirt from there.

That gift bag looks awesome, lucky you to get it :cool1:

No. We shared 2 appetizers, each got an entree and each a desert.

This has been PROVEN time and again. Mathematicians online have posted their formulas showing dining to be a ripoff. The only way to even out or come out ahead is to purposely order the most expensive entree EVERY TIME no matter what.

My real world experience just further proves it.

Phone. But what's the difference. You look and click a button on both.

I'm aware that the dining plan doesn't really save money. But let's just call me skeptical that it costs more to be on the dining plan that it does to order what you get on the dining plan (entrée and dessert) PLUS two appetizers and still come out ahead.

I guess when you post your receipts we'll know.

As for the camera vs. phone, I think at one time I heard photopass was refusing to take photos on phones. I don't think this is policy now, especially since phone cameras are more prevalent than ever. But the issue is the lightweight nature of the phone, and the liability involved if they drop them. They are just harder to grip firmly than an actual camera. I'm always more than happy to take photos for other park guests, and frequently offer. But I really don't like doing it with their phones for that very reason.

...then just take a quick shot with our camera that isn't composed as well as theirs.

I had the opposite experience - when I compared the Photopass previews with the ones they had taken with my camera, the Photopass ones were all composed horribly and looked hastily done. Maybe they could tell just by looking at me that I was a cheapskate and probably wouldn't buy the PP pictures anyway.

I'm aware that the dining plan doesn't really save money. But let's just call me skeptical that it costs more to be on the dining plan that it does to order what you get on the dining plan (entrée and dessert) PLUS two appetizers and still come out ahead.

As for the camera vs. phone, I think at one time I heard photopass was refusing to take photos on phones. I don't think this is policy now, especially since phone cameras are more prevalent than ever. But the issue is the lightweight nature of the phone, and the liability involved if they drop them. They are just harder to grip firmly than an actual camera. I'm always more than happy to take photos for other park guests, and frequently offer. But I really don't like doing it with their phones for that very reason.

I was a little skeptical too, so right there with you! If he said that shared an app and a dessert or skipped dessert, I MIGHT could see it, but I am really a bit doubtful on this one.

We don't tend to save money on the ddp, but we do break even. We aren't trying to save money so breaking even is ok with us. BUT, I can go through the menus of where we are going to eat and know just about exactly what dd and dh will order and it is usually some of the ore expensive items (both like steak and dd loves shrimp and lobster).

I have done the math again and again and again, and for US and what WE tend to order and where WE tend to eat, we would not save money either way. Its going to come out about the same over the week.

As for the photos, if I was one of these photographers, I would not want to take someone's phone to take a picture either. DD has an Iphone, I have a Samsung Galaxy. TWICE I have dropped her phone trying to hand to back to her. The first time it shattered and the second time if cracked the screen protector on the new phone. Its smaller and just feels different and seems like it slides right out of your hand. It would be hard to be handed different size and types of phones all day and not drop at least one. On the concrete and no screen protection=shattered phones that Disney has to pay for.

Day 1: Check in 3pm / $308 dinner Portobello
Day 2: $35 snack / $84 lunch Seasons / $395 dinner Hoop dee doo revue
Day 3: $35 snack / $95 lunch La Cantina / $320 dinner T-Rex
Day 4: $35 snack / $79 lunch Leaning Palms / $406 Ohana
Day 5: $35 snack / $96 lunch Restaurantosaurus / $345 Grand floridian cafe
Day 6: $35 snack / $87 lunch Columbia House / $92 dinner Endzone
Day 7: $35 snack / No lunch / $413 Spirit of Aloha

Total: $2900 for 2 appetizers, entree for everyone, and desert.

With Dining Plan: $3050 for no appetizers, entree, and desert.

But WAIT! Hoop Dee Doo requires TWO dining credits. So does Spirit of Aloha.

Therefore, TWO of those dinners we would have had to pay out of pocket ANYWAY - Adding an extra $400 to $600 in cost. Therefore making the dining plan really $3500 to $3800.

--

It's confusing to many because they got caught in the Disney trap.

You ONLY break even by purchasing the most expensive item EVERY SINGLE TIME. Yeah, I could order a $50 steak but what if I WANT or am craving that $15 pasta meal? Etc.

It's why disney got rid of appetizers from the dining plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter