*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

There are construction workers, air guns, scaffolding, metal sawing, in quite a few areas. But nothing around the villas.

Hello fellow VGF owners! I have been watching this thread for awhile, but have not added myself to the roll call. I would be happy to be added if possible. We first bought AKV in 2013 then quickly added on in 2015 at VGF when they went on sale. We bought a resale VGF contract in 2017. My husband (and me) always have addonitis after a trip. We just got back from Disneyland and stayed at the VGC which were nice, but not like the VGF. We will be back home in August and again in December. We just can't get enough. We used to stay in studios, but have since started booking 2 bedrooms so our daughter has her own space. This was why we bought as much as we did. We wanted flexibility and space as our needs changed. Can't wait to see the lobby refurbish in our December trip.

Own at both VGF and BWV. Have been able to keep up with the BWV Villas renovation schedule somewhat as they have blocked off DVC reservations by view types for the fall & winter.

I realize main lobby renovations at GF have not been announced, but does anyone have a “best guess”? I have an Oct reservation (Resort Studios) and have received multiple “construction” emails over the past week about that trip.

In addition, I am receiving emails about the closed MK walkway for my October reservation. I thought that was reopening this spring/summer? Really missed it when it was closed down during our visit earlier this month! Ugh.

Own at both VGF and BWV. Have been able to keep up with the BWV Villas renovation schedule somewhat as they have blocked off DVC reservations by view types for the fall & winter.

I realize main lobby renovations at GF have not been announced, but does anyone have a “best guess”? I have an Oct reservation (Resort Studios) and have received multiple “construction” emails over the past week about that trip.

In addition, I am receiving emails about the closed MK walkway for my October reservation. I thought that was reopening this spring/summer? Really missed it when it was closed down during our visit earlier this month! Ugh.

We share your pain because we also own both and switched our early May arrival night at BWV (BW-view no less!) to another night in VGF1 when we got the email about BWV. Fortunately, we're able to leave home a day earlier and added arrival night at RIV for something special.

We're definitely hoping the GF lobby refurb doesn't start till after Mother's Day by which point we'll be everyday home again.

I'd be concerned, too, about an October trip, particularly as much as we're in and out of the GF MB.

I wish you pixie dust, considering that Disney email alerts like that generally mean it might be late October or November before the lobby is done, if then. Given that the Gingerbread House construction starts in midsummer, I will not be surprised if the lobby is the last area to be done and not till after New Year's. The GBH in progress still draws people wanting to see it even though it's rarely finished until the week before Thanksgiving.

We share your pain because we also own both and switched our early May arrival night at BWV (BW-view no less!) to another night in VGF1 when we got the email about BWV. Fortunately, we're able to leave home a day earlier and added arrival night at RIV for something special.

We're definitely hoping the GF lobby refurb doesn't start till after Mother's Day by which point we'll be everyday home again.

I'd be concerned, too, about an October trip, particularly as much as we're in and out of the GF MB.

I wish you pixie dust, considering that Disney email alerts like that generally mean it might be late October or November before the lobby is done, if then. Given that the Gingerbread House construction starts in midsummer, I will not be surprised if the lobby is the last area to be done and not till after New Year's. The GBH in progress still draws people wanting to see it even though it's rarely finished until the week before Thanksgiving.
Thanks, I have until July to decide if I’m going to take that trip. I booked 2 resort studio rooms thinking I would bring some friends but if the VGF lobby is going be torn apart, I may pass and just rent that one out or bank the points into next year. I’ve already decided I’m avoiding BWV this fall as we always like a BoardWalk View room and those rooms look to be in refurb at that time.

Silver lining of all this is that by sometime next year, both of these terrific home resorts will be shiny & new ☺️

Last edited:
I’ve already decided I’m avoiding BWV this fall as we always like a BoardWalk View room and those rooms look to be in refurb at that time.

Yes, that was our reaction when we got the cautionary email. I was really excited about having that view as we've never stayed at either BWI or BWV. Just bought a small BWV contract a year ago. Oh, well, maybe next year.
Silver lining of all this is that by sometime next year, both of these terrific home resorts will be shiny & new ☺️

Indeed! We're thinking of returning at our usual time, mid-November. Few things are more thrilling than the GF's spectacular decorations and WDW in the holiday season.

My best guess is that they'll wait until after Easter crowds to start the lobby refurb. I imagine they'll try to be done by early November (in time for Christmas decorations / crowds). The lobby Christmas tree and gingerbread house are a huge draw.

Does anyone have the GF construction email they would care to share?
I have a one bedroom booked for October 8 week and I want to show my dd
the email and let her decide if there is somewhere else right now she rather book.
We just stayed there last October but wanted to give her an option.

Does it sound like the full lobby will be under construction and that Enchanted Rose and the restaurants will be closed?

Thank you.

Here is what the email said:

Dear Guest,​
Welcome home!​
In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort and The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa we often refresh our offerings. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we would like to make you aware of renovations that will be taking place during your visit. While we work our magic, you will see or hear construction during daytime hours.

Please refer to the Know Before You Go page for the most up-to-date hours, amenities and information on what will be available to you such as dining, merchandise and recreation locations. While transportation options will be available for convenient access to Magic Kingdom Park, the walking path may be unavailable during your stay.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your original booking agent.​

Does it sound like the full lobby will be under construction and that Enchanted Rose and the restaurants will be closed?

Based on how Disney typically goes about interior construction while keeping a resort open, I can't imagine that all restaurants would be closed.

Decorative barricades are generally placed blocking access to limited areas at a time so that, for instance, access to Citricos and V&A's via the short 2nd floor hallway leading to both might be only half as wide.

I would guess the lobby will be done by quarters, perhaps. Certainly, blocking off the entire end where the Gingerbread House usually sits would be counterproductive. That end is likely to be the first lobby area completed because of how immensely popular the holday decorations are.

I think it possible that floors of the GF main building may be completed before the lobby so that work in the lobby might not begin until after the holiday season, a slower time at WDW.

Nothing but guesses.

Last edited:

Does anyone have the GF construction email they would care to share?
I have a one bedroom booked for October 8 week and I want to show my dd
the email and let her decide if there is somewhere else right now she rather book.
We just stayed there last October but wanted to give her an option.

Thank you.

I have a reservation in early November and I've also received the emails. The main WDW site still lists "late spring" as the targeted date for the walkway to reopen, so I think it's possible some other work may still be ongoing but I'm hoping it was sent more as a precaution and to allow themselves extra time just in case.

From what we know now, the main building rooms and lobby should most likely start once the Sago Cay building is finished, which should be sometime mid to late May, assuming it follows the same patterns as the other buildings that were completed. There was a poster on the main GF thread who was told by a club level cast member that the club level rooms and the lobby will go down at the same time, however the rooms will open back up before the lobby is finished (hope they're going to offer a discount for anyone staying in those rooms!) No one has confirmed the May timeframe for sure though, but as this construction has now been going on over a year, I'd think they'd want to keep up the momentum. As far as the restaurants, we know Enchanted Rose, Citricos, V&A's, and Narcoossees are safe as they've all been renovated (and I think Gasparilla's was not that long ago, but maybe it's been long enough for a refresh.) I'm thinking possibly GF Cafe gets renovated and hopefully they finally do something with 1900 Park Fare and the tea room! I think the bulk of the lobby would be done before it's time for the gingerbread house to go up (construction on the house started on Nov 1st last year.) That just seems like too large of a missed opportunity for them to not be able to have the gingerbread house up, or to have it up while the lobby is partially blocked off and causing traffic congestion while it's already so busy in there.

For October...my guess would be a lot of the lobby would be done but it's possible sections could still be under construction. I guess it depends on what they are doing and how involved it is. They will definitely separate the check in desk into individual stations, because they've done that at every lobby they've renovated. I'm sure at a minimum, painting and new carpet - what remains to be seen is if they are going to drastically change anything, as far as the theming (I sure hope not!) Hopefully they will just announce their plans soon and also show us some concept art!

I have a reservation in early November and I've also received the emails. The main WDW site still lists "late spring" as the targeted date for the walkway to reopen, so I think it's possible some other work may still be ongoing but I'm hoping it was sent more as a precaution and to allow themselves extra time just in case.

From what we know now, the main building rooms and lobby should most likely start once the Sago Cay building is finished, which should be sometime mid to late May, assuming it follows the same patterns as the other buildings that were completed. There was a poster on the main GF thread who was told by a club level cast member that the club level rooms and the lobby will go down at the same time, however the rooms will open back up before the lobby is finished (hope they're going to offer a discount for anyone staying in those rooms!) No one has confirmed the May timeframe for sure though, but as this construction has now been going on over a year, I'd think they'd want to keep up the momentum. As far as the restaurants, we know Enchanted Rose, Citricos, V&A's, and Narcoossees are safe as they've all been renovated (and I think Gasparilla's was not that long ago, but maybe it's been long enough for a refresh.) I'm thinking possibly GF Cafe gets renovated and hopefully they finally do something with 1900 Park Fare and the tea room! I think the bulk of the lobby would be done before it's time for the gingerbread house to go up (construction on the house started on Nov 1st last year.) That just seems like too large of a missed opportunity for them to not be able to have the gingerbread house up, or to have it up while the lobby is partially blocked off and causing traffic congestion while it's already so busy in there.

For October...my guess would be a lot of the lobby would be done but it's possible sections could still be under construction. I guess it depends on what they are doing and how involved it is. They will definitely separate the check in desk into individual stations, because they've done that at every lobby they've renovated. I'm sure at a minimum, painting and new carpet - what remains to be seen is if they are going to drastically change anything, as far as the theming (I sure hope not!) Hopefully they will just announce their plans soon and also show us some concept art!
Thanks, I agree it would be unlikely for them to tear apart the whole lobby at once. Keeping my plans for now unless/until there is an announcement to make me think otherwise!

WOW, thank you both so so much!
I appreciate the time you both took to respond.
I am going to show this to my dd now and she can decide while there is still availability elsewhere.

I'm booked for a full week in October, I wonder why I haven't received an email.

Than you again!
Here is what the email said:

Dear Guest,​

Welcome home!​

In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort and The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa we often refresh our offerings. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we would like to make you aware of renovations that will be taking place during your visit. While we work our magic, you will see or hear construction during daytime hours.

Please refer to the Know Before You Go page for the most up-to-date hours, amenities and information on what will be available to you such as dining, merchandise and recreation locations. While transportation options will be available for convenient access to Magic Kingdom Park, the walking path may be unavailable during your stay.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your original booking agent.​

I

Based on how Disney typically goes about interior construction while keeping a resort open, I can't imagine that all restaurants would be closed.

Decorative barricades are generally placed blocking access to limited areas at a time so that, for instance, access to Citricos and V&A's via the short 2nd floor hallway leading to both might be only half as wide.

I would guess the lobby will be done by quarters, perhaps. Certainly, blocking off the entire end where the Gingerbread House usually sits would be counterproductive. That end is likely to be the first lobby area completed because of how immensely popular the holday decorations are.

I think it possible that floors of the GF main building may be completed before the lobby so that work in the lobby might not begin until after the holiday season, a slower time at WDW.

Nothing but guesses.

New Walkway Connecting Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Disney's Polynesian Village Now Open

Guests visiting the Walt Disney World Resort should keep in mind that a new walkway connecting Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort has officially opened to Guests.

This new path (located on the east side of Floridian Way) no longer requires Guests and Cast Members to cross Floridian Way while traveling between the resorts, allowing pedestrians to safely travel between the two locations.

New Walkway Connecting Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Disney's Polynesian Village Now Open

Guests visiting the Walt Disney World Resort should keep in mind that a new walkway connecting Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort has officially opened to Guests.

This new path (located on the east side of Floridian Way) no longer requires Guests and Cast Members to cross Floridian Way while traveling between the resorts, allowing pedestrians to safely travel between the two locations.
So glad to see this as we love being able to walk from the original VGF building to the quick service places at the Poly. We'll be there in 45 days for our spring trip.

Thank Goodness..... we are heading to VGF in 13 days!!!!

This is great news! We were there in October and it was very awkward to have to cross and recross. We love going for morning runs and go from the GF to the TTC and back. We also like getting quick service from Capt. Cook's (tonga toast anyone?!) and this will make it nicer. Is it along the water still?

This makes it sound like it's still a temporary pathway that does not follow the water but is out of the way / on the east side of the main road, though. The only difference from previously is you walk along the side of Floridian Way instead of having to cross it back and forth? Still not convenient...

Sounds like the permanent pathway won't be open for a while yet?

This makes it sound like it's still a temporary pathway that does not follow the water but is out of the way / on the east side of the main road, though. The only difference from previously is you walk along the side of Floridian Way instead of having to cross it back and forth? Still not convenient...

Sounds like the permanent pathway won't be open for a while yet?
That’s my guess too, since the Poly tower construction is still ongoing, but not having to cross the road twice will be an improvement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter