The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

If you look at the DVC point chart page, it has charts for the ToT at VDH. I do wish they told you the number when you complete the booking because there is some sticker shock on the larger rooms.
That would be a good idea. Those who have been to Aulani may have those figures in their head, but my 300 point Aulani stay last summer cost me $215 in TOT whereas it would be almost $900 at VDH.

Edit- Holy smokes. It’s me. I’m that person. I knew it was high…but maybe hadn’t exactly looked it up. My three night studio April stay will also be about $215, which was my week long, island view one bedroom in July (the highest season) at Aulani.

Last edited:
If you look at the DVC point chart page, it has charts for the ToT at VDH. I do wish they told you the number when you complete the booking because there is some sticker shock on the larger rooms.
I think they’re afraid you won’t book if they tell you the number! So they just tell you the per-point TOT and let you run it up on your calculator, if you want to.

I know it's probably a me problem, but I didn't know about this tax until after I booked and started coming here. Going back to the member booking engine now, I can see there is a disclaimer, that you have to click, and even then it doesn't tell you how much the tax will be. Not a fan of that.
From a compliance perspective there is more risk if the exact tax was inaccurate. Putting a disclosure and then referring to a pdf carries less liability.

Yeah, I clicked through and did the math. Just added an extra $384 to my trip. You have to click around a bit to get there, then figure it out on your own. Borders on dishonest, IMO.

I'm just having a hard time with the sticker shock of this. Was thinking of renting points but VGC will come out cheaper. I have always loved the vibes at the disneyland hotel but this is disappointing.

Since we own there and plan to use points there, we just figure out the TOT for the year and pull it aside in an envelope when we pay for dues for the year and think of it as part of dues. Then just pull from the envelope for our stays. Then it’s already budgeted for for the year and we don’t really think about it.

Yeah, I clicked through and did the math. Just added an extra $384 to my trip. You have to click around a bit to get there, then figure it out on your own. Borders on dishonest, IMO.
Seriously? It’s literally disclosed everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1233.jpeg
    IMG_1233.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1234.jpeg
    IMG_1234.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 16
Cool. I have been a DVC member for 20+ years. Never have stayed in Cali, and seeing "tax not included" means nothing to me.
Well and it is included at VGC. So even if you’d been to CA before you may not expect it.

I do hope anyone who didn’t quite catch this is not rude to the front desk CM. Not at all directed at anyone in here- just a general thought.

Since we own there and plan to use points there, we just figure out the TOT for the year and pull it aside in an envelope when we pay for dues for the year and think of it as part of dues. Then just pull from the envelope for our stays. Then it’s already budgeted for for the year and we don’t really think about it.

We just go to Trader Sam's for an afternoon and completely forget about it :rotfl2:

Bit related but also off topic for the VDH board. Trust and value your all's opinions.

Another poster had over 1,000 points to rent this year. Got me to thinking if we ever got in a rut of not going for whatever reason, what would that look like if renting our points to offset the annual dues.

Not looking to turn this in to a details Excel math spreadsheet exercise. Base on my high level numbers I worked up for our exact DVC cache of points the results look something like this (using simple example numbers for discussion but the ratio applies):
  • Annual Dues $1,000 but rental income $2,000 (assumes every point rented but not likely). So for every $1 of dues we could get $2 revenue. We own at the preferred higher rental rate resorts.
  • Lifetime of annual dues (assuming 4% increases) is about 4x to 5x the costs of the initial DVC purchase (not financed).
  • Assumption that over time income per point increases with the annual maintenance costs increasing (risk that maybe this doesn't occur if DVC falls out of favor).
  • Calculations do not include rental revenue as taxed income but in the past I have reported on our 1040. Did the calcs this way just to keep it simple.
My conclusion is that if we paused going to Disney properties (which I'm not planning to do but life does happen):
  • I'd be ok to rent my points for an extended period of time (many years)
  • Would not have to sale
  • Would have some income to pocket for other expenses or types of vacations
Again, not looking for an in depth calculation here but wondering if others who've done the math see it similar. Like to hear what you think.

We've rented out points several times here. Last year, we did it to pay for our ABD trip (backstage Disneyland/Imagineering/studios). Have always rented out every last point we've offered up. It's not that hard as there seems to be constant demand here on the disboards rent/trade forum. It's nice to do it yourself because then you don't have to give a cut to the dvc rental sites and the renter gets a discount over going with the sites. I've always had positive experiences (I mean, really, there's little risk on your end as the points owner)

We've rented out points several times here. Last year, we did it to pay for our ABD trip (backstage Disneyland/Imagineering/studios). Have always rented out every last point we've offered up. It's not that hard as there seems to be constant demand here on the disboards rent/trade forum. It's nice to do it yourself because then you don't have to give a cut to the dvc rental sites and the renter gets a discount over going with the sites. I've always had positive experiences (I mean, really, there's little risk on your end as the points owner)
Thanks for your input Duckbug....

Can you do a little scouting? I'm looking for info for an upcoming stay in a studio in May. Does the mini fridge have a freezer or is it all fridge? are there any storage containers with lids (some in FL have Pyrex with lids)?
Thanks and have a great trip!
Here now! There's a little bit of freezer space. I do not see any storage containers, only plates, bowls, and cups.

ETA: In a preferred studio.

Attachments

• IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 7
Laundry? While booking my 2025 trip, I asked member services about laundry at VDH. He called them and was told that we could ask for a card (to pay) at check-in and then we have to go to Pixar Place for laundry!?! Does anyone have experience with this? That seems like a hike with dirty clothes.

Laundry? While booking my 2025 trip, I asked member services about laundry at VDH. He called them and was told that we could ask for a card (to pay) at check-in and then we have to go to Pixar Place for laundry!?! Does anyone have experience with this? That seems like a hike with dirty clothes.We were just there in February. When checking in at the Disneyland Fantasy tour we asked for a laundry card. It was free for DVC members. They asked how many times we want loaded on the card.
We were just there in February. Laundry was on the ground floor. Some minor construction but it was open. And if you’re in a bedroom suite it will have its own washer and dryer.

We checked in at the Fantasy Tower, requested a laundry card, and it was free for DVC members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter