• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

I never stayed at a value or moderate hotel so I can't compare to those, but VDH rooms don't feel cheap or IKEA like at all to me. I'm a satisfied owner.

I have a strong affinity for Disneyland Hotel, even though I don't think the cash price per night is particularly a great value. I've always felt Disney has treated the property as a second run in a lot of ways, yet tried to charge premium prices for it.

For years, they've took away a lot of what made the resort special—the waltzing waters, the marina, gardens, waterfall area, etc. However, the tide appears to be turning with this tower and the potential of Disneyland Forward.

Look this isn't the Disney of 90's, where they're going to design a bunch of custom light fixtures, handles/faucets or bed frames. That ship has sailed and, if you prefer that, we have some great resorts that fully embrace that level of theming.

However, DVD/DVC pulled out all the stops on this tower. From Tinkerbell to the amazing artwork to the Steamboat Willy splash pad, time, money and care was put into this project. They tried to honor the existing towers, yet keep it modern.

It's like they knew this may be their last chance to build a DVC property in Anaheim.

If you own here—you should be proud.

Need some posts please. Each night Tinkerbell seems to be in Neverland and not DVCland when I’m out looking for her…thanks.

Since the dues are high and this property has a TON of deluxe studios, is there a reason to own here if that’s what you want to book? Is it expected to be easy to book at 7 months, especially since Disneyland guests stay a shorter amount of nights compared to Disneyworld?

I specifically asked at the front desk and they said because the other towers are still old tech, they didn't install it in Discovery Tower either.
They told you wrong. The tech is absolutely there. The photos of the doors posted above all include NFC readers and that’s all they need, someone even posted upthread that their magic band turned the light red, which means they communicated.

Someone just needs to push some buttons on a computer to turn them on. Why they haven’t is probably because they’re waiting to do the entire hotel at once.

But it’s false for them to tell you they didn’t install it. IMG_1244.jpeg

Definitely agree. I think Bay Lake’s template for it’s rooms should be 1965 Disneyland’s Tomorrowland including Monsato’s House of The Future as inspiration and then build upon that with modern amenities . It will be PERFECT, timeless & completely Disney.
View attachment 798193View attachment 798194View attachment 798195
This is in line with what I would do at BLT: Mid-century modern furniture like what they put in the CR lobby with Tomorrowland and other classic Disney touches.

Can anyone who has stayed here already comment on the comfort of the murphy beds or the sound proofing of the rooms?

Can anyone who has stayed here already comment on the comfort of the murphy beds or the sound proofing of the rooms?
Our Duo Studio has a Sealy. Sorry no model info, with a SobelDry quilted mattress cover. First impression felt firm. After lying on and a few sleeps, I feel great. Turned out to be more comfortable than expected.IMG_1216.jpegIMG_1217.jpeg

I can’t remember…but aren’t the laundry room washer and dryers free when staying in a studio? Not here.

IMG_1583.jpeg

They told you wrong. The tech is absolutely there. The photos of the doors posted above all include NFC readers and that’s all they need, someone even posted upthread that their magic band turned the light red, which means they communicated.

Someone just needs to push some buttons on a computer to turn them on. Why they haven’t is probably because they’re waiting to do the entire hotel at once.

But it’s false for them to tell you they didn’t install it. View attachment 798213
Totally agree, but from the very beginning of MBs existence, CMs have been giving out incorrect information about "why" things don't work. As you say, the actual technology isn't the issue, it's how the specific hotel has or hasn't, implemented it. But then it's simpler just to blame on some faceless "technology decision".

Does anyone know how late the guides are there, for tours? My family will be in Anaheim on Sunday late afternoon/early evening and I wonder if it will be too late to see a guide? I'm not sure what their hours are.

But it’s false for them to tell you they didn’t install it. View attachment 798213
Well this is more hopeful but also dumb why they haven’t done it yet. I remember last yr when MB+ first came out at Aulani they said only regular magic bands were working and now last week I could use my MB+. Same techs on the door here so I believe you that it could be as simple as that. Trust me I scanned my band too out of habit. Someone at DLR must realize they’ll sell more MB+ if it actually does stuff. On my way into the Disneyland Hotel parking lot the CM laughed at me when I asked if I can just scanned my band. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Does anyone know how late the guides are there, for tours? My family will be in Anaheim on Sunday late afternoon/early evening and I wonder if it will be too late to see a guide? I'm not sure what their hours are.
I can confirm for you today when I’m there but I believe it’s 6pm. That’s usually when the guides close up the preview centers and lounge and go home normally.

I can’t remember…but aren’t the laundry room washer and dryers free when staying in a studio? Not here.

View attachment 798251
We kept getting conflicting info. Depending on who you ask, they’ll either tell you you have to pay. One told me I may have to go to the lobby to get an amenity card. One said try my room key. Asked a guy that was actually doing his laundry he said he paid.

Wedgeout would probably one can get better review of soundproofing with the streets behind the garden rooms and being next to the pool. My room was near the housekeeping door and I could hear them opening the door quite frequently throughout the day/night. I don’t love the Murphy beds but they’re definitely better than sofa beds. For some reason I recall sleeping better in the Tower rooms at Riviera. Perhaps I’m usually dead tired after a day at wdw.

My thoughts, we also own Grand California. Does not have the lobby that the Grand has, that is a one timer, but I did like the feel of the DH grounds, more like a Hawaii resort. The room has a lot more light than the Grand, and has more modern features. Cool lighting for sure, we liked the pool, has a total palm springs 60s vibe to it. The weather was not real hot, so on a hot day I assume getting a chair will be an issue.

The 3 bedroom villas on the pool deck look really fun, we did not tour but from the outside they looked awesome but of course one night would blow the points for a year. Of the units I though the 1 bedroom looked the best. We had the deluxe studio which was nice. It does have a real small closet, but be honest, how big do you need, you can tell they put a lot of thought into the design to make it efficient. I would be aware of standard views, the ones we saw were not real good.

Can not wait for the new bar to open, they said Oct 26. We did make into Trader Sams, the way to do it is just put your name in and go do something else. They said 2 1/2 hours but it was more like 1 1/2. The problem is they only give you 10 minutes to get there so you can't go far. But if you are a few minutes late they move you back to the top of the list.

We were there for 2 nights and went on 2 rides, that is how we Disney, of course we have Aps. It was just fun hanging out, saw some cool oogie costumes.

Sorry if this has already been posted but I wanted to get the thoughts of my fellow VDH owners on if we think the current practice of not allowing extra reservation spots on your Magic Key for when you are staying on property impacts you? For us, we have multiple trips planned out through April and all of our spots are booked.

We have already had this happen a few times and so far have been lucky that we are able to book the future days we need as we check into the parks. It's still weird to have your upcoming hotel stays booked out but you kind of have to gamble a bit on if you will be able to get your park days until just a few weeks/months out. We also space our trips out every few months so that helps, but if reservations stay very long term, I could see this being painful if we were near retirement.

In a way, we are lucky that we have the 2nd tier key and we have our Knott's passes so it forces us to go to the 3rd gate as we sometimes have at least one blackout date during our trips (plus we love Kott's so this works out for us).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this on their mind and if they plan on reaching out to anyone to share the concern? Might be a moot point if the reservation system goes away....

Sorry if this has already been posted but I wanted to get the thoughts of my fellow VDH owners on if we think the current practice of not allowing extra reservation spots on your Magic Key for when you are staying on property impacts you? For us, we have multiple trips planned out through April and all of our spots are booked.

We have already had this happen a few times and so far have been lucky that we are able to book the future days we need as we check into the parks. It's still weird to have your upcoming hotel stays booked out but you kind of have to gamble a bit on if you will be able to get your park days until just a few weeks/months out. We also space our trips out every few months so that helps, but if reservations stay very long term, I could see this being painful if we were near retirement.

In a way, we are lucky that we have the 2nd tier key and we have our Knott's passes so it forces us to go to the 3rd gate as we sometimes have at least one blackout date during our trips (plus we love Kott's so this works out for us).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this on their mind and if they plan on reaching out to anyone to share the concern? Might be a moot point if the reservation system goes away....
I am not sure if I understand this but if you link you room reservation you seem to be always able to get a park reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter