The Official Polynesian Resort FAQ thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiwee1

DIS Veteran
Welcome all to the thread to learn and discuss all things Polynesian! I know there are plenty here that love this resort as much as I and would love to have a FAQ thread about it. If I can figure how to post pics I will. Anyone else that knows their stuff and wants to contribute are more then welcome! This thread is for everyone and anyone that wants to join!

Just to get things going I wanted to say that we have stayed at the Poly 6 times in the last 3 years and am going back again in October and next June. I think the best longhouse to be close to the Great Ceremonial House and the Volcano themed pool is Samoa. If you get a room facing the volcano pool it even comes with a wonderful slice of lagoon view. I am going to see if I can post some pics of our trip last year where we had such a room and the view was amazing! Thanks to 7thdwarf/dopey for giving me a lesson on putting images into a post! This is his pic of the Polynesian map.
25870polymaplg.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how to post pictures. We were there April 21-25 and had a great time. I really liked Tokelau quiet pool view. We were in room 3940 and to our right was the castle, it was beautiful. I am glad that they are updating though, I wasn't that impressed with the room as such but the whole atmosphere got me! I remember seeing the room and I thought, $350 a night for this? But it became a haven for us from the parks. Loved the quiet pool. Volcano pool was okay but not quite what I had expected. Actually couldn't really get in except to stand up, it was soooo busy. Hopefully I can get an AP discount because it still is alot of money to part with. Glad to get this this going. Good luck.

We just decided to take a spur-of-the moment trip to Disney in three weeks for the last Star Wars Weekend. The only thing available at Poly with an AP discount is a lagoon view room. I am scared this will only push us further from the hub of things. We stayed at Rapa Nui two years ago and it was a long walk to everything! Any advice? We have three small children and they LOVE the volcano pool. I didn't know which longhouse to request. I would have said Samoa in a heartbeat but I don't think it qualifies as lagoon view.

Thanks for starting this thread! We have never stayed at Poly and our first stay there will be in June. I have booked the garden view. What bldg can I request that is close to the main bldg? And also what is there not to be missed. We are only staying there for two nights and on to WL. And how long is the walk to TTC? Thanks for any infos you can give me.

Fantasia- I was so surprised how close the ticket center is from Tokelau and Tahiti it is really close. It was so funny to have all this beautiful foliage and feel like you were in a tropical setting and bam there is the TTC! Please try not to miss the EWP and the fireworks on the beach, it is magical.

Thanks thumpersfriend. Wouldn't it be easier to walk to TTC and take the monorail to Epcot? Or should we take the monoral to TTC and change monorail to Epcot? Is TTC that close? I mean is it about a 10 minute walk or is it more? My children and I have short legs, I just want to save all the walking at the park. TIA.

I think it could be even less, I really am not sure. The monorails were kind of slow when we were there it seemed and going to the TTC seemed like a good thing to do. You should try it at least once, it is really a surprise I think. Kind of like you are coming out of a jungle into civilization. We loved it. Hope you have a wonderful time there. I took my 28 yo DD there, just the two of us and had a great time. We watched the fireworks every night. On the last night we were there she was ready for bed and I said I was going to see the fireworks one last time. and the little sweetheart decided she needed to also and got dressed and we watched them on the beach. It's a memory I will always cherish. Now will have to get my whole family there again soon. You are a good mom for making memories for you children, it is very important.

I stayed in Tokelau about 4 years ago. Will be back to the Poly in Jan. It was quicker to walk to TTC from Tokelau than to go to GCH (which didn't seem like a far walk either, just longer than to TTC).

I can't wait to get back there!

:banana: :banana: :banana: Yeah! Glad to see Poly has it's on FAQ! Fantasia, first of all, beautiful children! 2nd of all, we walked from our building to the TTC, then hopped on the monorail to Epcot. It was a short walk (we were in Roratonga)! Even in the August heat, it didn't take long to get to the TTC!
I love the Poly and think that one of the great benefits is the close proximaty to the TTC, so you can hop on the monorail to Epcot. :cheer2:

Thanks guys for helping!! I think it's Roratonga is where I want to be, isn't that the closest to the main bldg, if I remember correctly from Tikiman's website (no longer accessible. :( )

I read there's a free activities for the children as long as the parent stays with them, is this in the same room as where the Neverland Club is? I think that is something the kids would want.

Poly bus does not share bus with other resorts correct? And it goes directly to the parks without stopping at the TTC, correct?

Sorry for all this questions. But I guess this would be a good start for this FAQ. TIA!!

Yes, Roratonga is right next to the GCH. It was great just to hop over there to fill our mugs. And the laundry facilities were in the building to the right. Plus the parking and bus stop is just out in front! :cool1:

Thanks for starting this thread SKI. I myself a Disney veteren have never stayed at the Poly and have questions as well, and Fantasia your questions were good ones indeed. I will also be at the Poly in early June.
I booked the Poly over the GF because I thought it may be more kid friendly for DD 9 and DS 6. I hope I made the right choice. I also wanted a lagoon view room. My DW likes a balcony with a view so I have requested 3rd floor. I am also wondering if Tuvalu or Tahiti wood be a better longhouse to request. And I thought I read somewhere to fax a request a week before arriving. Is that right? and should I list one request? Or more in order of importance? Any help would be appreciated. And any other good poly tips.

:love1: :love2:

Disney Billpayer I think you made the right choice! We have never stayed at the GF but visit and eat there every trip. My now 6 y/o DD always tells me she doesn't like the GF. She says the pool looks boring and the restaurants aren't as fun! I agree with her! I have never had a lagoon view but thought about booking concierge just to get the lagoon view and still be close to the pool and GCH. Definitely ask for a 3rd floor if you want that balcony. I am sure there are folks here that will give you an opinion on what longhouse is better. I wouldn't want to lead you to one that I myself might prefer since I've never stayed in the lagoon longhouses.

*Fantasia* said:
Thanks guys for helping!! I think it's Roratonga is where I want to be, isn't that the closest to the main bldg, if I remember correctly from Tikiman's website (no longer accessible. :( )

I read there's a free activities for the children as long as the parent stays with them, is this in the same room as where the Neverland Club is? I think that is something the kids would want.

Poly bus does not share bus with other resorts correct? And it goes directly to the parks without stopping at the TTC, correct?

Sorry for all this questions. But I guess this would be a good start for this FAQ. TIA!!

Fantasia the Poly does share buses with other resorts at different times. We shared with the CR and the GF whenever we wanted to go to MGM, AK, or DtD. I don't know if that has changed since this past October but that is what was happening then. The lobby has free kids activities all the time. You can make a lei, they color, and there is a lady that teaches a dance. My DD does love making her own leis and always made a different color every day. The Neverland Club is a seperate building next to the laundry. They have free games certain hours and the parents must stay with the kids. Raratonga is right next to the GCH and one of my favorites. We always get monorail view as it is great to sit on the balcony and watch it go by. It is far enough away to give you plenty of privacy and it is not noisy at all. Raratonga in my second choice. Samoa 3rd floor facing the volcano pool is my first. It is still close to the GCH but you get the wonderful view. My mom has bad knees and doesn't think Samoa is far at all.

Raratonga is right next to the GCH and one of my favorites. We always get monorail view as it is great to sit on the balcony and watch it go by. It is far enough away to give you plenty of privacy and it is not noisy at all. Raratonga in my second choice. Samoa 3rd floor facing the volcano pool is my first. It is still close to the GCH but you get the wonderful view. My mom has bad knees and doesn't think Samoa is far at all.

When facing the monorail, will you also see the parking lot view? And the Samoa bldg, is that one of the garden view? I booked gv. Thanks Terry for your help.

*Fantasia* said:
When facing the monorail, will you also see the parking lot view? And the Samoa bldg, is that one of the garden view? I booked gv. Thanks Terry for your help.

The parking lot is on the monorail side but you can't really see it. I've stayed on that side 3 times. Once on the one end, once in the middle, and once on the other end. None gave me a real view of the parking lot. There was so much landscaping that you pretty much only saw the monorail. Samoa is considered GV even though you have a view of the lagoon. We had a room all the way down towards the Hawaii building and could actually glimpse the MK fireworks because we could see so much of the lagoon. When I request a room I put my first choice as Samoa 3rd floor facing the volcano pool. I put my second choice as Raratonga 3rd floor facing the monorail. I did get Samoa facing the quiet pool once and did not like the view at all.

I've only stayed at the Poly once and only for 2 nights, and in a garden view room. I just wanted to add my 2 cents for anyone that would be looking for a smoking building in a good area.
We stayed in the Niue building, this longhouse is small and is only 2 stories, and no elevator. You can use the elevator in Rarotonga and then walk over to Niue as they are connected at the second foor.
We were on the second floor, so no balcony but there were sliding doors that you could open. The building is right next to the the GCH and close to both the volcano pool and the quiet pool. It was also a quick walk to the TTC, maybe about 5 minutes or so.
We stayed in the smoking building because my sister and mother smoke, my room was next to their's and the smoke smell was not that bad.
For anyone looking for a smoking building this location was great.

I'm glad this thread has been started!

We will be at the Poly for 8 nights, December 19-27, staying concierge. This is a big splurge for us.....we usually stay on site a day or two, enjoy the resort and then move off site to a timeshare. We'll be at PO our first two nights, and then move to the Poly.

DH has been working an incredibly stressful job, with no signs of letting up. So, when he suggested the Poly, and then concierge level, I agreed. I am working extra hours at work (I'm a speech therapist and work in the schools part time) from April-June, to pay for our accomodations. This is a HUGE thing for me.....my frugal inside is just freaking out at the cost.

I can't wait to read everything that people have to post.

julia

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter