The Official NEWSIES Thread (poll closed)

Are you a Newsies fan?

• Yes

• No

• I've never seen this movie/ What are Newsies?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Newsies Slang

newsies = newsboys

papes = newspapers

Soak 'em! = Beat 'em up!

scabber (or scab) = a person sent to replace a person's (usually a striker's) job

Cheese it! = Run away!/Get outta here!

the bulls = the police

Could you spot me.... = Could you lend me.....

two bits = 25 cents

What do ya say? (or What do ya hear?) = Hi/How's it going?

skunk = to defeat overwhelmingly

grafter = criminal

catch a breeze = get a break

Carry the banner! = This phrase seems to have several meanings (especially in this movie). For the real newsies back in 1899, "carry the banner" meant to sleep outdoors and/or to walk the streets all night long, which is what many newsies had to do in order to sell all of their papers. In this movie, it seems to mean "to bring them the news" and "to further the cause".

The first time I watched the movie I thought they were saying "Pegs."
But then I watched it again on youtube and I figured out they were saying papers with an accent.
-Sigh- I love their accents.

I love :lovestruc this movie and I am so excited to see so many fans out there! Nobody I know in real life has ever seen it besides my sister and she doesn't care about it that much. I, however, love musicals of just about any kind and this just happens to be one of my favorites.

Besides, it's the first time I laid eyes on Christian Bale! Whether he's ashamed or not, it's a great movie!

The first time I watched the movie I thought they were saying "Pegs."
But then I watched it again on youtube and I figured out they were saying papers with an accent.
-Sigh- I love their accents.

Yeah, it took me a while to get what they were saying. For some reason, I thought they were saying "bones" instead of "bulls". :rotfl: I love newsies slang. I try to use it whenever I can. Cheese it!! Let's soak 'em!! :lmao:

By the way, I love that you have a Newsies signature! I really love the quote you have under the pictures. :)

I love :lovestruc this movie and I am so excited to see so many fans out there! Nobody I know in real life has ever seen it besides my sister and she doesn't care about it that much. I, however, love musicals of just about any kind and this just happens to be one of my favorites.

Besides, it's the first time I laid eyes on Christian Bale! Whether he's ashamed or not, it's a great movie!

Welcome to the DIS's Newsies fan club! :wave2: Nice to see another Newsies fan. I also don't know many people who have seen it (or are as interested in it as I am). Unfortunately, I'm the only person in my family that is interested in this movie. :sad2: But, that's OK. We're still carrying the banner!! :thumbsup2

P.S. I think Christian Bale is a hottie, too. :) But my heart will always belong to Max Casella (Racetrack)!!! :rotfl: :love: Like I told one of the other Newsies fans, I've been a big fan of his since he played "Vinnie" on Doogie Howser.

:laughing: When I'm doing things around the house and listening to the music I'll just start saying lines from the movies and try out their accents. I'm not sure how it sounds though.

I can't believe Max Casella was around 24 in that movie!
He looks like he's 13. :eek:

The first time I saw Christian Bale was in Swing Kids which I saw last year. It's a brilliant movie, I highly reccomend it.

A penny for your thoughts...........

OK, Newsies fans, I've got a question for you. Why do you like this movie so much? I'm sure all the non-Newsies fans lurking out there would like to know what we see in this movie (especially since it was a box-office flop). Please share your thoughts. (Don't feel obligated to be as long-winded as I'm going to be! :laughing:)

I like this movie for several reasons. First of all, I love that it's a musical. I have been a big fan of musicals for my whole life. I especially love the movie musicals from the "golden age" like Meet Me In St. Louis and Gigi. I think it's great that the director, Kenny Ortega, had such a strong desire to see musicals on the big screen again. It's also amazing that he got a cast of (almost) all boys. When I was in high school, I saw how difficult it was to get guys to join things like choir and theater. I think that this is a great musical for guys because it seems to celebrate boyhood. You can tell that the boys worked so hard in this film and I think they all did a great job.

I also like this movie because I think that the story is so inspiring. The newsies were the ultimate underdogs. I've been doing some research on the real newsies and I'm fascinated by their story. I'll do a "history of the newsies" post one of these days.

I like Racetrack. I like Crutchy. I like Jack. I like Spot. I like Mush. I like Kid Blink. I like Boots. I like Les. I like David. I like Skittery. I like Specs. I like Snipeshooter. I like all the newsies that I can't name. I like Mr. Kloppman (the keeper of the newsboy's lodging house). I like Mr. Denton. I even like Weasel and the Delancey brothers. I like the dancing. I LOVE the songs!! I like the way they talk (and I love newsies slang). I like it when they "soak 'em for Crutchy"!! I want to go to Santa Fe. I want to seize the day and carry the banner so that the world will know that the newsies are the kings of New York. I like papes. I WANT TO BE A NEWSIE!!!!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Edit- I almost forgot! I love Brooklyn!! "Never fear, Brooklyn is here!" :)

:laughing: When I'm doing things around the house and listening to the music I'll just start saying lines from the movies and try out their accents. I'm not sure how it sounds though.

Well, you know what they say.....practice makes "poifect". :)

I can't believe Max Casella was around 24 in that movie!
He looks like he's 13. :eek:

I know! I was really surprised to find out how old he really was, too. It's usually an advantage to look young when you're in the acting business, though. Directors love to have people who are over 18 to play teenagers so that they can work longer hours.

The first time I saw Christian Bale was in Swing Kids which I saw last year. It's a brilliant movie, I highly reccomend it.

Swing Kids is another great movie. I love the music!!

I've never seen Swing Kids. It sounds interesting, though. What's it about?

Well, you know what they say.....practice makes "poifect". :)

I know! I was really surprised to find out how old he really was, too. It's usually an advantage to look young when you're in the acting business, though. Directors love to have people who are over 18 to play teenagers so that they can work longer hours.

Here's some summaries from IMDB:
"The story of a close-knit group of young kids in Nazi Germany who listen to banned swing music from the US. Soon dancing and fun leads to more difficult choices as the Nazi's begin tightening the grip on Germany. Each member of the group is forced to face some tough choices about right, wrong, and survival. Written by Susan Southall {stobchatay@aol.com}

In World War II Germany, Swing music becomes the underground movement of young people. Two engineering students attempt to be Swing Kids by night and Hitler Youth by day. The impact of this decision is felt acutely by their friends and families. A charming SS officer complicates matters for Peter, whose father was taken away for defending his Jewish colleagues at the University. Written by Dave Smith {dave@stat.colostate.edu} "

A penny for your thoughts...........

OK, Newsies fans, I've got a question for you. Why do you like this movie so much? :)

Well...
I'll start by saying history based movies are my absolute favorite, hence why I love Swing Kids. I'm also in love with Pearl Harbor, Gladiator, The Patriot, National Treasure and probably any other movie dealing with history.
David is definately my favorite character. I think he was a real leader along with Jack to show that kids do have power and it really shows how the press can be effective. I really loved even though they were the underdogs, they still fought for what they believed in.

Everytime I hear seize the day I just want to go run down the street, because I'm so inspired it's crazy. For me it's an all around feel good movie, even though there are really tough parts that get you down.
I love musicals as well, so I definately was already going to like it. I like the use of personalities in the characters as well as the slang and accents. I think they got real good actors, and the dance routines were great. How they made the minor characters so major.
I like how they just hinted at the Jack/Sarah relationship and didn't go full out with it, because it let you think. My friend and I both wish we were Newsies too. :goodvibes

And I don't know if I'm the only one, but I absolutely loved their clothes.

Swing Kids is another great movie. I love the music!!

I always want to dance when I see it. :goodvibes
I need to get the movie, since I don't have it though.

It's about a group of teenage friends in Nazi Germany that are really into swing (or jazz) music. There is a lot of swing dancing in it. It's a really great story with great music.

Oh wow, a Newsies board. I LOVE Aaron Lohr (Mush). Such a great movie with such great songs! :lovestruc

Oh wow, a Newsies board. I LOVE Aaron Lohr (Mush). Such a great movie with such great songs! :lovestruc

Welcome! :wave2: I'm glad you found us! If you haven't already seen it, there's a picture of Mush to admire on the list of Newsies (page 2). :)

Here's some summaries from IMDB:
"The story of a close-knit group of young kids in Nazi Germany who listen to banned swing music from the US. Soon dancing and fun leads to more difficult choices as the Nazi's begin tightening the grip on Germany. Each member of the group is forced to face some tough choices about right, wrong, and survival. Written by Susan Southall {stobchatay@aol.com}

In World War II Germany, Swing music becomes the underground movement of young people. Two engineering students attempt to be Swing Kids by night and Hitler Youth by day. The impact of this decision is felt acutely by their friends and families. A charming SS officer complicates matters for Peter, whose father was taken away for defending his Jewish colleagues at the University. Written by Dave Smith {dave@stat.colostate.edu} "

Well...
I'll start by saying history based movies are my absolute favorite, hence why I love Swing Kids. I'm also in love with Pearl Harbor, Gladiator, The Patriot, National Treasure and probably any other movie dealing with history.

It's about a group of teenage friends in Nazi Germany that are really into swing (or jazz) music. There is a lot of swing dancing in it. It's a really great story with great music.

Thanks for the summaries, guys. It definitely sounds like an interesting movie. I love swing music and I like movies that are based on true stories. I'll check it out one of these days. By the way, ::Snow White::, I absolutely loved National Treasure, too!! I adore Riley!! :laughing: :) That movie made me want to brush up on my American history. If you love historical films, I highly recommend a Disney movie called The Greatest Game Ever Played.

Riley's my favorite!
I haven't seen that movie, I'll have to look for it.

I was reading mistakes in the movie, and I went and watched where David hit Sarah in the face. It was funny.
I'm addicted to that Newsiesfreak site.

If anyone has seen CNN student news podcast, the guy at the newsdesk that reports everything looks a lot like Denton. We watch them in class and then we watched Newsies and our teacher said "Oh my gosh! Is that, the reporter on CNN!?" It wasn't, but it was pretty creepy how similar they looked.

ETA: I just ordered the movie and soundtrack! I'm excited, it should be here in a few days!

I'm addicted to that Newsiesfreak site.
I love that site, too. :)

If anyone has seen CNN student news podcast, the guy at the newsdesk that reports everything looks a lot like Denton. We watch them in class and then we watched Newsies and our teacher said "Oh my gosh! Is that, the reporter on CNN!?" It wasn't, but it was pretty creepy how similar they looked.

Wow, that's really freaky!

ETA: I just ordered the movie and soundtrack! I'm excited, it should be here in a few days!

Woohoo! :woohoo: Let us know when they arrive!

By the way, thanks for telling us why you like this movie. I can totally relate to how you feel when you hear the Seize the Day song. The World Will Know is really inspiring to me. Every time I watch the King of New York number, I wish that I could have been in that scene so that I could be singing and dancing along with them! :laughing:

So......anyone else want to share why they like this movie so much?

I love King of New York because it's so upbeat. The world will know makes me feel powerful, and Seize the day makes me feel connected to people and all happy.

I'm really suprised because I just got an email saying they have shipped my CD already.
:woohoo:

Musicals rock! :thumbsup2 (I've never seen Moulin Rouge, though.)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I saw Moulin Rouge seven times when it was in theaters. It really needs to be seen on a big screen! Definitely rent it though!

I only got a 60 on that quiz. Some of the questions were really hard, like the number on the police officer's hat :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter