The Official NEWSIES Thread (poll closed)

Are you a Newsies fan?

• Yes

• No

• I've never seen this movie/ What are Newsies?

Results are only viewable after voting.

tiggerfan1

DIS Veteran
I'm just curious to see if there are any other fans of the movie, Newsies. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this movie, Newsies was a 1992 Disney musical that starred Christian Bale. After watching the movie this past weekend, I did an info search and came across several articles mentioning that it was a box office flop and was panned by the critics. I was really surprised to see that because I thought that it was a good movie. Sure, the movie isn't perfect, but I don't think that it deserved such a harsh reception. What did you think of the movie? Please share your thoughts.

Edit-

:welcome: to the official Newsies thread! Since there have been quite a few people who have said that they are Newsies fans, I have decided to turn this thread into a my own Newsies fan page. Feel free to jump into the discussion, ask questions about the movie, gush about your favorite Newsie, etc. Anything goes! Well, anything that's DIS-approved, of course! ;)

We're carrying the banner for the kings of New York!!

Headlines don't sell papes. Newsies sell papes!

I actually love that movie. I thought the music in it was great. I did have the soundtrack to it (and had it memorized at one time), but I can't find it.

LOVE it. Was obsessed with it when I was a tween. I use the song "King of New York" to teach tap to little ones... 3-5 years old. :)

It wasn't one of my favorites, but definitely enjoyable and worth watching. I love the song Seize The Day. We actually performed that number during a show choir program back in high school.

I watched it this past weekend as well. It was on one of the movie channels. I am always singing along every time I watch it. I used to be in love with the Spot Conlon!! I was in high school when the movie came out.

I love that movie. A few of those boys went on to other things. It was also the first time I ever saw Christian Bale.

I absolutely love the movie! In fact, just last night, I was playing some songs from the soundtrack in the car. There's nothing like singing "Look at me... I'm da King of New Yawwwwwwk!!" at the top of my lungs to cheer me up. ;)

:hippie:

Thank you all for your responses! I'm happy to see that there are other Newsies fans out there. :)

SillyAuntJen- That's awesome that you use the "King of New York" song in your tap classes! :) :thumbsup2

mbcary- I was singing and dancing along, too! :dance3: It's hard not to, especially during the "King of New York" number. By the way, I like Spot "Never fear, Brooklyn is here" Conlon, too!! I love these quotes from the courtroom scene:

Spot: Hey, Your Honor, I object.
Judge: On what grounds?
Spot: (thinks for a second) On the grounds of Brooklyn, Your Honor. :rotfl:

dustyraye- The "King of New York" song rules!! However, I like to change the word "king" to "queen" since I'm a female. :laughing: I also love the songs "Carrying the Banner" and "The World Will Know".

OMG I LOVED that movie! Apparently Christian Bale is super embarassed about the movie and will rarely answer questions about it.

I also read somewhere that it was actually filmed at Hollywood Studios before the park had its Grand Opening.

I've never seen it. :blush:

Hakuna matata, WS! I won't hold that against you! :teeth: :laughing:

OMG I LOVED that movie! Apparently Christian Bale is super embarassed about the movie and will rarely answer questions about it.

I heard that, too. I read that he was embarrassed by the movie not only because it flopped at the box office, but because it was a musical. Apparently, when he signed on to do the movie, he thought that it was going to be a straight drama. When they decided to make it a musical, Christian Bale wasn't very happy because he was afraid that being in a musical would make people think that he wasn't a serious actor. Too bad. :sad2: Christian Bale and rest of the Newsies cast should be proud of their work in this movie. They all did a great job.

I also read somewhere that it was actually filmed at Hollywood Studios before the park had its Grand Opening.

That's so cool! I didn't know that! :)

I loved this movie as a tween. I rented this movie so many times that my brother's would cringe whenever they saw me putting a movie in the VCR. I had such a crush on Christian Bale after this movie.

I don't remember seeing this movie, but I just bought it a month or so ago and it is put away to give to DD14 for Christmas :goodvibes

She watched it in school a year or two ago and came home talking about it, kept going on and on how much she enjoyed it. We've looked for it a few times in the stores, but have never been able to find it. FF to now and I found it! She is going to be thrilled when she opens it.

I absolutely love that movie! In fact, when it came out, I had both the soundtrack and the VHS tape and wore both of them out:happytv:

I didn't know that Christian Bale was embarrassed by it. That is kind of sad to hear. I thought he did a great job with the song, "Santa Fe," which is suddenly stuck in my head LOL

I think my favorite line in that whole movie would have to be from Gabriel Damon, " I object!" "On what grounds?" "On the grounds of Brooklyn,your Honor!"

I watched it this past weekend as well. It was on one of the movie channels. I am always singing along every time I watch it. I used to be in love with the Spot Conlon!! I was in high school when the movie came out.

Oh goodness, so was I! I was head over heels for him :rotfl: I just checked on IMDB and although it seems he is still working, I haven't seen anything els he has done. I have the DVD somewhere - I'll have to pop it in this weekend! All the songs in it are so great. "That's my cigarrrr...you'll steal another...."

Oh goodness, so was I! I was head over heels for him :rotfl: I just checked on IMDB and although it seems he is still working, I haven't seen anything els he has done. I have the DVD somewhere - I'll have to pop it in this weekend! All the songs in it are so great. "That's my cigarrrr...you'll steal another...."

I saw an episode of ER a few years back where Kirsten Dunst was playing a teenage prostitute. Gabriel Damon(Spot) played her pimp. It was just a bit role,but I was sooo excited to see him onscreen again. It's a shame he isn't used more as he is quite talented and definitely fun to watch!

To all of you who recently responded: Thank you!! :thanks:

I don't remember seeing this movie, but I just bought it a month or so ago and it is put away to give to DD14 for Christmas :goodvibes

What a great Christmas gift! :santa: Your DD will love it! I'm glad you were able to find the DVD. :thumbsup2

I saw an episode of ER a few years back where Kirsten Dunst was playing a teenage prostitute. Gabriel Damon(Spot) played her pimp.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Say it ain't so!!! By the way, that reminds me.....................

*****Attention all Spot Conlon fans: *****

I found a great "Tribute to Spot Conlon" video on YouTube today. Check it out!! You'll hear the famous "On the grounds of Brooklyn" quote near the middle of the video. Enjoy!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK7U5YguJ3E

*****For all the Jack Kelly fans:*****

Here's a picture to drool over. :rotfl: :)

jack_kelly.jpg

I'm going to watch it this weekend. I recorded it last week on one of the movie channels we have but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I have the DVD somewhere - I'll have to pop it in this weekend!

I'm going to watch it this weekend. I recorded it last week on one of the movie channels we have but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Awesome! It's a Newsies weekend!! :cool1: I'm going to watch the movie, too. Feel free to come back and discuss the movie after you've watched it. Carry the banner for the kings of New York!!!

It's a shame he isn't used more as he is quite talented and definitely fun to watch!

You're absolutely right. :thumbsup2 Gabriel Damon is a great actor. I think he, Christian Bale, Max Casella (Racetrack Higgins) and Marty Belafsky (Crutchy) were the best actors in the movie. It's a shame we don't see more of them nowadays.

Hey, by the way, are there any Racetrack Higgins ("Hey, Your Honor, how 'bout I roll you for it, double or nothin'?") and Crutchy ("I likes livin' chancey") fans out there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter