• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Official Cake Thread - Photo Gallery & Cake Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there really anyway to get a mad hatter style cake under 100 dollars???

Well, the Grand Floridian makes mini cake that they call "Mad Hatter" but it's just a regular shape:

watermark.jpg

Hi, just wanted to share my photo's of my birthday cake that my husband surprised me with at the California Grill made by Brian!

148.jpg

It was chocolate cake, with dark chocolate mouse, very yummy. I think it was around $60.

My hubby then also surprised me and my father with special desserts at 1900 Park Fare.

IMG_5317.jpg

White Chocolate painted Pluto.
My dad is mad on Pluto and loved it so much, he refused to eat him. Pluto made it all the way home to the UK and still hasn't been eaten!! Price: $30

1311.jpg

This was for me. Prior to going to Disney, I spent loads of times looking at the DisBoards and showing him all the food and cakes and giving him lots of hints!!! :lovestruc I'm very lucky!!!

I am going to do this in 2 posts b/c I want to tell you all my experience w/ ordering a cake, but also allow the moderator to only have the basic info to post in the gallery.

Price: $135 plus tax and tip= 169.00
Date: 2/20/10
Cake: 10" round w/ fondant
Vanilla with Passion Fruit Mousse
It's a Small World Theme

My requirements to Chef Brian:
*graphic small world dolls (I sent pics)
*yellow cake with passion fruit mousse
*fondant
*IASW theme to definitely include a child (she's from the final scene) who has pink hair, wears a sparkly silver dress w/ light pink trim. (She's my mom's favorite)
*Happy Birthday written in a couple of different languages ( I asked the do them like the farewell signs in the attraction, but that didn’t happen which is OK)
*A heart. It can be as tiny as a hidden mickey or even dot and "I", but it's something that has to be there

Here's her cake (I apologize ahead of time for the picture overload!)
IMG00231-20100220-2215.jpg

IMG00217-20100220-2212-1.jpg

IMG00219-20100220-2212-2.jpg

IMG00222-20100220-2213.jpg

IMG00226-20100220-2214.jpg

IMG00227-20100220-2214.jpg

IMG00365-20100221-1910.jpg

IMG00367-20100221-1911.jpg

IMG00236-20100220-2227.jpg

I don't think I ever posted details of the cake I got for my BF (at the time I ordered it), who was my fiance when it was delivered on his birthday! I ordered it from Private Dining at the AKL and had it delivered to our room at the resort.

I asked for a Toy Story theme, with fondant that looked like clouds with characters on top. I left it open to the chef and I was pleased with the cake. Unfortunately we were too full from our private meal from the Sunset Safari to eat much of it (we did try it), but it sat in the fridge for the remainder of our trip.

Theme: Toy Story
Size: 8" fondant covered
Flavor: white cake with strawberries and custard filling
Price: $80.39 out the door

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7f43f000000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7cc2c300000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7d43f200000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

47a0dd20b3127cce98548a7b43f400000035102AatW7Fq2ZMW

I took a lot of photos for this thread!

Thanks to lurkyloo with her tips on how to get what I wanted! :thumbsup2

I called the Cake Hotline to order a special cake for our good friends 10th anniversary. (They had gotten married 10 years ago at WDW on February 10th.) The operator started immediately going through all of the standard questions. I had to interrupt to ask her how did I get something more unique than what she was offering. She said that she’d have to have a pastry chef call me back. After a few phone calls and email to Chef Eddie who had to relay everything to the pastry chef at the Contemporary who would be making the cake, we settled on what the cake design would entail and a price.

The cake was really very good. Even the fondant tasted good! The presentation of the cake was fun, too. Our server brought out 2 glasses of champagne and had the couple kiss for 10 seconds while the whole restaurant counted. While they were busy with their kiss, the cake was brought to the table along with a large stack of paper plates. The cake was way too big for our small party of 4 adults and 3 kids (I knew it would be) so we gave a large slab to our server to share in the kitchen. Word got around and slowly but surely, I think every staff member working that night made their way to our table to tell us how fabulous the cake looked. And each of them got a piece of cake.
We boxed the rest of the cake in 2 cake boxes and nibbled on it for our whole week there. It tasted as yummy on our last day as it did that first night.

Price: $130 + tax ($138+change)
Date Received: February 6, 2010
Cake Info: I had asked for a heart shaped cake (got it) with alternating hearts and Mickey icons on the sides (got it), fresh raspberries on top in a heart shape (got it), the message written on a white chocolate ribbon (got it), and if possible the kids names each on one of the hearts on the sides (didn’t get it…but that’s ok.) I would have liked a smaller size, but couldn’t get that in a heart shape.
Due to the initial price I was quoted ($145) I asked them to eliminate the fondant, use regular icing and just the fondant pieces (hearts and Mickeys) for the sides. That reduced the price to $130, but it came fully wrapped in fondant anyway.

WDW015.JPG

WDW018.JPG

And links to two more (similar) images below...
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showphoto.php/photo/50537

http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showphoto.php/photo/50535

Where: California Grill
When: Monday, March 8th
Cost: $120

Here is the cake I ordered for my DH's birthday last week. I asked for a grumpy themed cake and I told them that I wanted to play up the beautiful scenery from the movie. I gave them ideas of the mine, and jewels. I also asked for a chocolate mousse filling. Instead I got a vanilla pastry cream filling. it was a good tasting cake, but I will never ever waste my money on a cake again. This is the second time I have ordered a cake to be delivered to a restaurant for a special occasion and both times have been a disappointment. Next time I am going to take the $120 and buy more wine.

Jennifer

4438965159_615f9ec33f.jpg

i wanted to say thank you to you all for your cake info and excitement! though I didn't post any questions, i did read quite a bit about what you all had to say about the custom cakes at WDW. i decided to try a cake for my daughter's third birthday at California Grill. the first person that i talked to from the cake hotline insisted that my only choices were sheet or round. so i hung up and called back a few hours later. I got a very helpful woman who suggested a "Mad Hatter" cake. we got it with chocolate cake, dark chocolate mousse, and buttercream icing with pink fondant and flower design. i mentioned that my daughter LOVES buzz lightyear (not typically a girls figure). the cake man put a picture of buzz when he is dressed up at "mrs nesbit" for the tea party. well - my three-year-old thought that was the funniest thing ever and this cake with "buzz as mrs nesbit" is the one thing that she is still talking about from disney. the cake was DELICIOUS! and what a presentation! when we got there and mentioned that we ordered a custom cake, the woman doing the check-in said "oh - i heard about that cake! WOW!" and then we heard that all night long from everyone who worked there. When they brought out the cake, about 10 people must have brought it out singing and everyone at the california grill sang "happy birthday" to my daughter. It cake was incredible, the event that is caused was incredible too! though we were a group of 18, we only ate about half of the cake. we took the rest back to the hotel with us, and ate it for breakfast the next day.

a little more info: i asked for extra thick mousse and buttercream and boy was it!!!! the mousse was almost as thick as the cake, and there was plenty of icing for my kids who only eat the icing. as well, the cake must have weighed over 10 pounds - the picture doesn't do justice to the size of it. it was probably about a foot high. INCREDIBLE!
here is a picture:

i also wanted to order a cake for our lunch at CRT that day, but was again offered just round/sheet/chocolate/vanilla. Then they mentioned to me the "glass slipper dessert" option. So I went for it and ordered 6 - one for each child and the grandma! It was chocolate in the shape of a slipper, with dark chocolate mousse, on an angel food cake pillow, with berries and writing in chocolate. they were $12.50 each, and delicious. Again the presentation was amazing. we heard people at 3 other tables near us try to order them, but they are only available with pre-order.
here is a picture:

we had a wonderful cake/slipper experience with WDW! Hope you can enjoy the pictures!

This was a cake I had ordered from Pat at GF for dinner at 1900 Park Fare last year on my husband's birthday. It was an 8" vanilla with bavarian custard and fresh strawberry filling with buttercream icing. I wanted something for my husband and both my daughters for their birthdays(all within 5 days!:scared1:) Everything was edible on this cake except for the thread of pearls. It was the best cake ever!!! Cost was $60.00 plus tax, gratuity was NOT included.

2009chocworldzoodisney544.jpg

2009chocworldzoodisney542.jpg

In June 2008 my DH ordered me a mini castle cake to be delivered to our room at the GF. He ordered cheesecake (which was delicious), with no filling. I believe the cost of the cake was $25 with tax and tip came to $35. Note that the cake is SMALL. Four bites it's gone. I think he phoned the GF about a week before our trip to place the order and paid when it was delivered. He signed it to our room.

WDWjune08001.jpg

As promised, I have returned and have pictures of my cake I ordered for my DD's Birthday! I kept the cake a surprise from DH as well! Everyone was shocked, even myself on how wonderful it came out!

I talked to pat 10 days prior to arrival, I orginally ordered a girly type cake, and then called back and talked to christine who priced out a new cake for me. I asked for a 8 inch with Red Fondant with white polka dots with a big white bow and a white chocolate Minnie and fondant balls lining the base of it. It was Chocolate with Chocolate buttercream filling.. It was Delicious!!

Here's the Result....

My DD absolutely Looooved it! and i couldn't have been happier with the result! The Grand Floridian Bakery did an amazing job.

Price was $77.00 plus tax n gratuity

We just returned from our trip last week. We had dinner at 1900 Park Fare the first night and I ordered a cake for my DD.

Cake: 8 inch vanilla with vanilla buttercream icing
Cost: $65 plus take

IMG_6772.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6777.jpg

The cake was so delicious and moist. :lovestruc We ate it all week long. We were definitely happy with the end result.

This is my cake from last night!

Cake: 8 inch vanilla cake with buttercream filling and frosting, purple fondant with sugar effect, sugar flowers, hand painted white chocolate tinkerbell and white chocolate sign with "Happy 25th Birthday Megan"
Cost: $100

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Close up of sugar flowers after cake was cut

ry%3D400

Close up of hand painted Tinkerbell

We ordered a cake from the Contemporary to be delivered to Chef Mickey's breakfast on March 10th (I think!). I got in touch with Chef Brian and we were able to order an 8 in chocolate/chocolate mousse cake with a Princess and the Frog theme. I want to thank CakeManBri, you did a great job! It was $135, which was a lot more than what I paid for a similar cake at GF in Nov., but I was pleased with the cake itself. Just not the cost ;) The cake itself was the best tasting out of the 3 that we have ordered at WDW. It was moist and very rich.

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Sorry for the horrible cake-cutting job, but it is hard with a plastic knife!

IMG_1261.jpg

Just back! Ordered a cake from CR bakery to be delivered to our WCC dinner. Asked for buttercream, 8 inch, Jessie & Bullseye western them. Was quoted $65, but ended up being $55, plus then used TiW on it.

Happy with the results. Taste, eh. Last trip had a cake from GF bakery, was equally unimpressed with the taste of the cake and icing from both bakeries. but at least now have gotten a cake for both kids so they're even, LOL, and won't be doing it again. Is fun getting them, and very glad we did, but big eh on the taste.

266.jpg

269.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Finally posting my pictures from my 40th birthday cake last September...it looked fabulous. Taste was ok, but the look made up for it! ;)

Cake: Mad Hatter vanilla cake with strawberry filling, buttercream frosting, black fondant. I pretty much said I wanted a black, red and white cake, maybe with some bows or stars on it. Also wanted it somewhere to say "Happy 40th Tracy".
Cost: $120

One thing I did not know was that they brought the cake when the "celebration song" started and by then we were really stalling to stay there...people had even grabbed dessert already! :headache:

Here’s what finally came out:

Day05_0690.jpg

Day05_0680.jpg

I LOVED it…and took a million pictures of it, as there was so much to it. Here we go:
Day05_0700.jpg

Day05_0720.jpg

Day05_0730.jpg

Day05_0731.jpg

Day05_0732.jpg

Day05_0740.jpg

Day05_0750.jpg

Day05_0752.jpg

Day05_0760.jpg

Day05_0753.jpg

And finally the inside:
Day05_0770.jpg

This cake was ordered to celebrate our 31 years together. It wasn't exactly as I expected, but the cake was delicious and very nice. I called private dining and asked for the cake to be delivered as dessert after our dinner.
Price $95 ($45 for cake, $30 for flowers, and $20 for M/M topper)
Date Received: April 5th, 2010
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Mousse filling, Buttercream Icing. I asked specifically for the Mickey/Minnie Wedding Cake Topper and the cake covered with pastel flowers. Cake was delicious!

disney2010046.jpg

Thought I'd post these 2 cakes I ordered during this past year.
This one was for our big Birthday Gala with my Disboard friends. We were celebrating my birthday & I wanted to show my appreciation to them for their friendship. So I had this cake waiting for us in our BLT villa the first night we were there. They were shocked! They kept saying that it was MY birthday & I brought the cake! :rotfl: It was delicious!! It was an 8" chocolate cake with white chocolate filling!! I ordered it through the Contemporary bakery & cost was $32 plus $15 for the edible topping plus tax & gratuity
031_31-1.jpg

This one was ordered for my DSIL's birthday at the Grand Floridian Cafe. She loved it!! :goodvibes Unfortunately, I've forgotten the price. sorry. Again, I ordered this through the Contemporary bakery.
DisneyChristmas09022.jpg

We're going this May & want to order a cake for my brother's birthday, but don't know what to get. I was thinking of a "villain" cake. Maybe just a Mickey Head would be better......can't decide. I know his daughters would love the Mickey one. Any other suggestions???

Okay this was for my daughter's birthday. She is a St. Patrick's day baby.

We recieved the cake on 3/13/2010 from the Comtemporary bakery at our room at Bay Lake Towers. The cake was chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting inbetween the layers. I have to say I love the "coolness" factor of the cake but I didn't love the actual eating of the cake. It was kind of dry. I will probably not order one again just maybe do a special dessert or something to celebrate. The total cost was $143.12 for an 8" mad hatter cake.
DisneyWorldMarch2010007.jpg

DisneyWorldMarch2010008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter