The Official Cake Thread - Photo Gallery & Cake Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the cake we ordered from Chef Brian at the Contemporary to celebrate DS's middle school graduation/acceptance into the Arts Magnet high school. I had asked for something not too feminine, so the stamped stars were great! The cake was 10", vanilla with lemon curd filling, vanilla buttercream frosting topped with fondant. Cost was $135. Delivered to The Wave on June 13, 2010.

D90June13022-1.jpg

D90June13024-1.jpg

D90June13025.jpg

This is from a while back, March 2006. I don't remember how I ordered it, but they told me it would have to be made at the GF bakery. Yellow Cake with Chocolate Icing and Chocolate Mousse filling... It was delicious.

They said that it could only be customized with a character -- I wanted something parks related, so I asked for a hitchhiking ghost. I think that he was hand-painted onto the cake -- it looked great!

I think the price was somewhere around $35, and the cake was delivered to Tony's Town Square in the Magic Kingdom. I was shocked when I called to order a cake 2 years later at the prices!

4701525106_96417362d3.jpg

Check out the Disney Parks Blog for today: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/wedding-trends-untraditional-cake-toppers/

Someone want to grab the photos to their Photobucket or something so they can be indexed here?

Good idea! :thumbsup2

From the Disney Parks Blog post on "untraditional" wedding cake toppers (when are they gonna finally spring for a copy editor?:rolleyes:)...

cake18312_large.jpg

(Toppers like these next two are provided by the bride and groom, not a standard Disney option)

cake18312a_large.jpg

cake18312bb_large.jpg

Flowercake.jpg

What I ordered: a 6" cinderella blue cake, chocolate on chocolate, with a white glass slipper on top. Priced $66 to be delivered to dinner at 1900 Parkfare by the GF bakery.

cake.jpg

It was beautiful, but tasted horrible. It was dry and rubbery. The icing was grainy. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it, too. The entire thing (minus 2 bites and the chocolate/sugar decorations) went into the trash...

DH and I got married at Boardwalk in October and we are finally leaving on Monday for our honeymoon. I was hoping to surprise him with a cake that looks like the top tier of our wedding cake. (It was just a typical escape wedding cake, but when we tried to take the top layer home-it didnt make it)
cake.jpg

I have tried calling Narcoossees- they forwarded my call to a "cake liason" but the number didn't work. Does anyone have this number?

I then tried Tutto Italia but they just wanted to give me a generic chocolate/vanilla square cake.

Should I call Boardwalk Bakery directly? I know they were the ones who made our cake. I dont really care which restaurant or which day it happens, as long as it happens.
I am hoping custom cakes are still possible at one of these restaurants- but I am willing to change reservations to a restaurant where it is possible. Here are the reservations we have so far:
Jiko, Narcoossee's, Tutto Italia, Hollywood Brown Derby, Kona Cafe, Le Cellier, The Yachtsman.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I did this for DH when we went for our one year anniversary. We were eating at 1900 Park Fare and I remember talking to someone named Linda who helped me out in making the arrangements. I remember that it was $35. Maybe this thread can help?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413710

DH was so surprised and it turned out exactly how our original cake was. Here is the one we got at 1900 Park Fare. Good luck!

disneynovember2008465-1.jpg

After lurking on these boards for along time, I finally took the plunge and ordered a cake.

Brief History, DF proposed at HS on Dec 21, 2009. We also are planning a DFTW as well and didn't think we would get back there before that.

But as luck would have it, we found out in Mid-May that we would actually have a few days to ourselves (aka no kids!) in mid-June and decided, why not got to Disney. Perfect. We can celebrate his Birthday while we are there.

When we decided to go, we wasted no time and got right to work with planning. I decided since the last 2 years, his Birthday cake was nice..but each time messed up by the local bake shop...a cake would be in order.

I was hesistant since I have seen some awesome looking cakes but also heard some horrible stories as well. And a $100 for a cake for 2 people...no offense, I'd rather buy him a sweatshirt or something for that! :rotfl2:

But, I finally convinced myself to do it. I considered having it at the Brown Derby...but then you can't do fondant. Yachtsman...seems to have a good reputation...but we are going straight back to Epcot afterwards...hmmm cake left in a hot rental car, probably not the best option. Citrico's on the last night...perfect :thumbsup2. And since I am not a big risk taker, I just ordered a mini two tier wedding cake from GF...seriously how bad can they mess it up?

Well, the jury is still out on it..I will let you know once we return on June 23rd! Connie took my order, told me it serves 1, was $30 and just to let them know at the podium when we checked in, I had a special occasion cake ordered. She only asked what flavor of cake and what writing did I want on the plate. I know it's not a big custom cake or anything, but I thought you got a few other choices. Guess not..well, I'm sure it will be lovely :rotfl: or at least not any worse than the last two years cakes! :confused3

Get out the magic wands and sprinkle us with Pixie Dust...this should be interesting! :wizard:

And here is a picture of the final product...we were very pleased!!!

SAM_0300.jpg

Oh yeah, almost forgot to take a picture of the inside...
SAM_0305.jpg

White Buttercream Frosting, Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Fudge Filling...perfect size for 1 or 2 (if you aren't big sweet eaters, like us!). It was very moist for such a small cake...think slightly larger than an easy bake oven cake! :laughing:

No screwups, upon checking in at Citrico's, one CM mentioned the special hmm hmm while another CM commented to him on his Birthday button...after dinner, when dessert was served the server winked and brought out the cake and candle...perfect. $30 well spent!

We just got back here are the pics of our Anniversary Haunted mansion cake! :cool1:

37456_1463722946445_1034635872_3133.jpg
"

35392_1463741506909_1034635872_3133.jpg

33999_1463725186501_1034635872_3133.jpg

33999_1463725066498_1034635872_3133.jpg

33999_1463725106499_1034635872_3133.jpg

And a few more!!

OH, i also just got back from a girls weekend trip where i got my BFF a mini castle cake at our tea we had. Thought i would share it with yall. It was a great cake. it wasn't excatly what i ordered but it was her favorite so it all worked out. Here are a couple of pics. It was $30. perfect for our needs.

IMG_1464.jpg

closer up of the castle.
IMG_1466.jpg

Just returned from our WDW trip and wanted to post the pictures of the cake we got from Wolfgang Pucks. Before arriving at WDW we were in Ft. Lauderdale at the AAU Taekwondo Nationals. My son (8) had qualified to compete in Forms and Point Sparring. I wanted to order a cake to celebrate this achievement...little did I know he would do so well! He ended up finishing in 2nd place in Forms and tied his friend for 3rd place in Point Sparring. Another family from the team came with us to WDW after the tournament and had dinner with us at Wolfgang Pucks. I had ordered the cake about two weeks in advance. I had requested Marble cake with pastry cream filling and chocolate frosting. I was quoted $35 for the cost of this 8" cake. I also asked them to inscribe it with his name (Connor) and "Way to go Karate Kid!"

Here are the pictures...

DSC06556.jpg

DSC06555.jpg

DSC06554.jpg

DSC06557.jpg

I did not ask for the chocolate covered strawberries - they were a very welcomed surprise! The cake was very good! Everyone enjoyed it and there was plenty left over. The server did a nice job of waiting for all of us to finish dinner and then clearing out our plates and then presenting the cake to my son. The cake was three layers with the pastry cream between - very yummy - think light doughnut cream filling. The chocolate icing was a deep chocolate taste. My husband and son enjoyed the taste - I am not a chocolate fan. The cake and filling were awesome to me. We took the leftover back to our hotel and enjoyed it for a few days after.
Anyone thinking of ordering a cake from Wolfgang Pucks - I would recommend them. They don't do fancy cakes but that wasn't what I was after. They were very up front about what they can do with their cakes. The strawberries on top were a really nice touch!
Debbie

Got our cake today!
Place: Delivered to our room at Bay Lake Tower
Flavor: Chocolate with white buttercream
Price: $45

Got everything I asked for. "Happy 20th Anniversary Neil and Bonnie" in cursive, mickeys piped on in mickey colors.
It was in our room when we came back. They also provided a cake server, plates, napkins, forks, a match, and a candle.
Some of the Mickey piping had dripped a little by the time we got to the room at 1:45 (it was delivered at 12)
My parents loved it. Tastes great, very fresh. Nice treat. Will I do it again? Probably, for a special occasion like this.

Thanks Brian.

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

We had our "just because" cake tonight while at Park Fare. Pat and her team did an exceptional job!!!! We requested a Mad Hatter cake in fun, kid friendly colours and lots of Mickeys. It was yellow with orange diamond shapes and mickeys everywhere...a Mickey topper and all different colours and sizes of Mickeys around the cake and on the plate. It was huge: 7 layers of marble cake with chocolate mousse and vanilla buttercream. We each had a slice at the table and will be snacking on it til we head home. Very fresh and moist. I hope to figure out how to post pictures when we get back home. Kudos to Disney on an awesome cake!

Here is a pic of the cake from my blackberry. Sorry that the picture quality is not great. The orange diamonds look more coral/pink in the picture than they really were and the yellow in the base fondant looks more white than it really was. I'll post more when I have I upload them from our camera.

cake.jpg

Here are the additional pictures, as promised. The colours are far more accurate than the previous picture I posted.

R_IMG_0629.jpg

R_IMG_0630.jpg

Here is the Mary Poppins themed birthday cake I got for DD's 21st birthday!
Where: 1900 Park Fair
When: June 2010 (for Breakfast!)
Size: 8 inch (the perfect size)
Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
Covered in Fondant
Designed to resembled Mary Poppins Carousel Dress complete with corsert, ribbons, flowing petticoat, and her lavender carousel pony.
Cost: $64 w/ TIW
All decorations made it home safely on the plane in DD's camera bag!

I have ordered at least five custom cakes in the past, but this one was the best tasting one I have ever gotten from the GF, BY FAR! It was moist, fresh and delicious! It turned out better than I could have imagined, and DD was thrilled! She said it was the best breakfast of her entire life!

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is a picture of a cake that we had for my son's high school graduation.

ry%3D480

It was at AKL waiting in our room. this was back in 2006. It was about 75.00 I think

This was our cake at Capt. Jack's restaurant at Downtown Disney. It was arranged through the YC conceirge. It was 10 inches with a buttercream layer featuring a personalized birthday message and Minnie and Daisy shopping. It was $70, fabulously delicous and managed to feed a party of 17.

DisneyChinaReunion337.jpg

We got our custom cake yesterday and we were delighted with it

$75
22nd July 2010
Whispering Canyon
It was a 6" chocolate cake with chocolate mouse and fresh raspberries covered in cream and hot pink & black fondant .
It was for DD's 12th birthday and her present was an i-Pod touch so I asked Brian if he could put an i-Pod on the top which he did. It's made of white chocolate and totally edible.

Day3cake.jpg

Day3Birthdaycake1.jpg

DD was absolutely delighted with it and I'd say we'd be eating it for the next few days popcorn::

Ok we are back and I've been putting off posting. We were really upset and disappointed with the cake we got. In fact we sent it back and didn't pay for it. My husband was furious. In fact he didn't even eat, he made them take his meal off the bill and went back to the room to cool down.

I see the cake of the IPod and the detail that went into it and I wonder what in the world happened with our cake. I read a post about someone asking for a cake last minute and it was going to be a doozie and lets see if Brian could pull it off. This cake was requested around the same time ours was to be done. Pics haven't been posted yet of that cake but it really makes me wonder!!!

DH and I came up with a design that we wanted and he quickly put some images together in PhotoShop (not at all perfect by any means because we were trying to get everything over to Brian).

I clearly stated that the images were for example purposes and I didn't want ediable images. I wanted them to pop off of the cake. I loved how they did the cars cake where everything popped off the sides of the cake and nothing was an ediable image.

The cake wasn't horrible but the work was sloppy and the attention to detail just wasn't there. All the images were printed and just slapped on the cake. Most of the images were grainy because they were small images that were blown up. It was not at all worth the $200 we were quoted for it.

My son wanted a test track cake. On the top of the cake we wanted to use the Mickey Head Pin of test track. I said I want the Mickey Ears to stand out and pop but lay flat on the cake. Maybe cut out of fondant if that makes sense.
Mickey_Ears_top.jpg

On the side we wanted the big Test Track sign like when you walk up to the ride:
Test_track_entrence.jpg

On another side of the cake we wanted the caution door when you go in to see the movie. We wanted the door to say 09 because it was my son's 9th bday so we did a quick mock up in photoshop:
ride_movie.jpg

On the final side we wanted the crash doors and we wanted some type of car crashing into the cake. I said it didn't have to be a test track car. Any kind would work. This part of the cake was awesome. A little chocolate race car was made which was cool :) Here is the design we sent of just the doors without the car:
crash_door.jpg

I also requested a dummy head coming out of the opposite side of the cake where the car crashed to look like the dummy went through the cake. I asked if the yellow caution signs could be done around the cake where there were empty spaces to help fill them up.

Here is what we got:
tsttrackcake.jpg

tsttrackcake2.jpg

tsttrackcake1.jpg

We have our December vacation planned out for my daughter's birthday but I will not be ordering a special cake from Disney again :( :( :(

hello cake world! i've recently returned from wdw and am very excited to show the cake we ordered for my sister's birthday! we were dining at narcoossee's and i originally called gf private dining to order a fondant cake, but was transferred to the cake line (with pat) and ordered a 6 inch fondant cake. we ordered a chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling (delicious!), buttercream frosting covered with fondant. (originally wanted red velvet but this flavor wasn't available for the 6 inch)

cost: about $70 with tax
called about 2 weeks before the dinner
i asked for a 6 inch cake with fondant, asked if roger rabbit was available, was super excited when she said yes! she asked what color fondant i wanted and said to leave it up to the chefs

here's what it looked like:
disney2010234.jpg

disney2010240.jpg

disney2010242.jpg

the cake was delicious, we ate only about half and brought the rest back to our hotel room. this is the second cake i've ordered while dining at gf and was again extremely impressed by the execution (the first was an anniversary cake in 2007, white fondant with silver mickey stamps and white chocolate wedding mickey and minnie)

they had changed the way to order a cake since then, but was still very impressed by the process and end result!!

In June we celebrated my grandson's 12th birthday at Disney. We had dinner Mama Melrose at DHS during Sar Wars Weekend. I called the cake hotline about 2 week prior to our trip and ordered a custom cake for him. I had my choice of either chocolate or vanilla (I chose the vanilla since it is his favorite). They said they could screen print the top of the cake to decorate it and I told them to use something Star Wars since he is such a big fan. The cake was wonderful - it tasted sooo good and was beautifully decorated. It was vanilla cake and between the tiers was a yummy custard filling. The cake was frosted with what tasted like white chocolate and was then decorated with a screen print of Darth Vader, Mickey sprinkles, and white chocolate shavings. The cost was about $32 and was added to our dinner tab. It was money well spent. They also provided us with a cakebox to take the leftovers back to our resort. My grandson LOVED it! Here is a picture of the cake - the picture doesn't do it justice though!
PaulsBirthdayCake.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter