The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here now (at BC but was at Dolphin last week) and its HOT & CROWDED! Had a glitch at Dolphin check-in, we had a note on the ressie that I would be joining DH (he had been there 2 weeks already) and they would not accept that at check-in. After waiting to check-in for 35 min. they said DH must come in person to the front desk to allow it. ARGH! He was presenting at a conference til 4pm & it was 11am. I was not a happy camper because we've done this for years & years & the note previously had been enough. I even asked to talk to a manager who refused.

Both S & D were full to capacity (so is BC) so no upgrades for anyone!

S/D are still as gorgeous as ever even with the dumpster view & check-in glitch!!
I think the check-in glitch could've been avoided if your husband had gone to the front desk the morning you arrived and asked them to hold a key for you with your name on it. I did that once when a friend joined me and I was at a park when she arrived.

The Dolphin is also sold out for our time June 23 to July 3 - 2012.;)

Is it really??? We'll be there during that time too.... Yikes! :scared1: We normally go in the summer, and the resorts are very frequently sold out, but the Dolphin seems so huge, that sold out there seems far more daunting than sold out at, say, POFQ ;) Anyone know the capacity comparisons of the Dolphin VS Disney properties?

Maybe a few conventions have rooms booked.
Never know - but at least we have our rooms reserved :goodvibes

Anyone know the capacity comparisons of the Dolphin VS Disney properties?

Most of the values and moderates have more rooms than the Dolphin.

This link lists total rooms at WDW owned resorts (near the bottom).

The Dolphin has about 1500 rooms while the Swan only has around 750.

Most of the values and moderates have more rooms than the Dolphin.

This link lists total rooms at WDW owned resorts (near the bottom).

The Dolphin has about 1500 rooms while the Swan only has around 750.

The values and moderates have their many rooms spread out among a number of buildings. The 750 Swan rooms and 1500 Dolphin rooms are all in one building per resort.

I am thinking about staying at the Dolphin for our 9 day trip in October. I have never stayed here before and just was wondering from some experts if $170/night (before taxes) is a good rate. That is what i am getting for a standard room with the AAA discount. Is it possible in October to get a better rate? thanks!!

I am thinking about staying at the Dolphin for our 9 day trip in October. I have never stayed here before and just was wondering from some experts if $170/night (before taxes) is a good rate. That is what i am getting for a standard room with the AAA discount. Is it possible in October to get a better rate? thanks!!
That's a pretty good rate for October, which is a busy month for all the Epcot area resorts, due to the proximity to the Food & Wine Festival. I would definitely book that rate, but check back periodically to see if any new promotions or discounts have been released. Definitely check again in the six weeks prior to your trip, because that's when the Starwood Starpicks rates are released, and those rates are often the lowest you'll ever see.

Speaking of Starwood, if you haven't already done so, you should joint the Starwood Preferred Guest program, so you'll earn points for your stay, which can be used for free nights and upgrades on future visits. If you enroll through AAA, you will automatically receive Preferred Guest Plus status, which will allow you to upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in (based on availability).

Signing up for S/D emails and following the S/D on Facebook will also keep you up-to-date on current promotions.

PS - October is a great month to visit...we'll be there, too. What are your dates?

I agree....it's probably only going to go up so I would reserve it. If it goes down you can always call and have them modify it to the lower rate.

That's a pretty good rate for October, which is a busy month for all the Epcot area resorts, due to the proximity to the Food & Wine Festival. I would definitely book that rate, but check back periodically to see if any new promotions or discounts have been released. Definitely check again in the six weeks prior to your trip, because that's when the Starwood Starpicks rates are released, and those rates are often the lowest you'll ever see.

Speaking of Starwood, if you haven't already done so, you should joint the Starwood Preferred Guest program, so you'll earn points for your stay, which can be used for free nights and upgrades on future visits. If you enroll through AAA, you will automatically receive Preferred Guest Plus status, which will allow you to upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in (based on availability).

Signing up for S/D emails and following the S/D on Facebook will also keep you up-to-date on current promotions.

PS - October is a great month to visit...we'll be there, too. What are your dates?

Thank you that is some great info. I think i will go ahead and book. We are going Oct 4-13. It's cheaper than a moderate disney hotel with a great location! Thank you for your help!! I can't wait!

Thank you that is some great info. I think i will go ahead and book. We are going Oct 4-13. It's cheaper than a moderate disney hotel with a great location! Thank you for your help!! I can't wait!

I have been trying to book The Dolphin for months (September 28-October 6, 2012) and haven't been able to book it. According to agents and the website, The Dolphin was full. We booked The Swan at the teacher's rate and it was $169 per night (plus taxes and resort fee, etc., etc.). I may have to check again and see if we can get into The Dolphin--we would prefer to be there! :cool1:

I have been trying to book The Dolphin for months (September 28-October 6, 2012) and haven't been able to book it. According to agents and the website, The Dolphin was full. We booked The Swan at the teacher's rate and it was $169 per night (plus taxes and resort fee, etc., etc.). I may have to check again and see if we can get into The Dolphin--we would prefer to be there! :cool1:

HI, I a going June 19-26 and I was also told Dolphin is booked by both the direct reservationist and online through SPG website and AAA website. This is why I asked the question on whether or not the Dolphin is "better" than Swan. But someone said maybe they have all of the conventions at Dolphin. :confused3

We are leaving this Saturday and staying 3 nights for $179 a night and we thought that was wonderful for this time of year. We are staying at the Dolphin. Can't wait!!!!:woohoo:

Does anyone know offhand what documentation I would need to bring along for the nurses rate?

I don't really want to bring my badge on vacation with me, I'm worried about losing it.

Thanks,
Emily

Actually, the Dolphin is available during that time frame...with the exception of Saturday, Sept. 29th. (Not sure why...) Are you flexible at all with your dates? Then again, even if you change your arrival to the 30th, the rate at the Dolphin is much higher...$206.

dolphin-1.jpg

You should give the Swan a try...it's a great property. Even though the Dolphin does house more dining options (Picabu, Fresh, Fountain, Blue Zoo, Shulas), as well as the gym and laundry facilities, and is closer to the main pool area, I find its size a bit overwhelming...especially when walking back to the room after a long day in the parks! The Swan is more intimate, more easily navigated, with much shorter walks to the rooms, bus stop, boat dock and Boardwalk. DH and I also prefer the two bathroom vanities...less tripping over each other in the morning. And the Swan has two Queen beds, as opposed to the doubles at the Dolphin.

Just some food for thought. I'm sure you'd be happy at either property. :flower3:

Very happy I found this thread considering a stay in the fall

I just saw the slide show on Deb's site and was wondering about the robes in the room...are they all standard size, or do they have any "Pooh size" ones? :rotfl:

I was reading through my March email statement from SPG and it led me to the link where I could redeem 1000 pts for "50 percent off regular rack rates."

Has anyone used this discount before? If so what are the details and how does it compare to other discounts for SPG members?

Very happy I found this thread considering a stay in the fall
Welcome to the thread! When in the fall are you thinking of visiting?

I just saw the slide show on Deb's site and was wondering about the robes in the room...are they all standard size, or do they have any "Pooh size" ones? :rotfl:
After three stays at the Dolphin and two stays at the Swan, I have yet to see a robe hanging in the closet. They must be in the laundry every time I come, LOL!

I was reading through my March email statement from SPG and it led me to the link where I could redeem 1000 pts for "50 percent off regular rack rates."

Has anyone used this discount before? If so what are the details and how does it compare to other discounts for SPG members?
Honestly, it's not that great of a discount. I've found that I do much better with the AAA rates, Starpicks and other promotional rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter