The New and Updated Port Orleans Riverside FAQ Thread for 2008 --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely interested in the new Royal Rooms. Does anyone know which buildings they are located in. For that price I want to be on top of the main buildings:lmao::lmao:
Unfortunately, themed rooms seem to be in what otherwise would be the least desirable location, just as the pirate rooms at CBR are. The whole point of theming them is to make the more desirable, so the location matters less.

And I agree, the pricing is ridiculous. But not unexpected.

I stayed in that exact section just this past year. I was on the first floor. It is Parterre Place.

I was in the second room in from the corner the first night (the corner closest to the photographer)

LOL, we were in the same room, #9737! Here's Lucy outside the window, I was standing by the door:

PICT0386.jpg

(Oh, just thought, you were probably talking about the American first floor - which we in the UK call the ground floor - so we were in the room above the one you had)

Andre

LOL, we were in the same room, #9737! Here's Lucy outside the window, I was standing by the door:

PICT0386.jpg

(Oh, just thought, you were probably talking about the American first floor - which we in the UK call the ground floor - so we were in the room above the one you had)

Andre

Oh, wow. You are correct; I was on the ground floor......what we refer to as first.

I love, love, love that location.

Unfortunately, themed rooms seem to be in what otherwise would be the least desirable location, just as the pirate rooms at CBR are. The whole point of theming them is to make the more desirable, so the location matters less.

And I agree, the pricing is ridiculous. But not unexpected.

I have to agree; Parterre isn't my favorite building, because some of the rooms can be so far from the main building.

I was lucky enough to have an end room on the corner by the river. I didn't realize it, until I had walked all the way around following the room numbers and it was quite a hike, until I realized I was right out front and near the foot bridge over to the front entrance side. But that first walk, if you follow the room numbers is a long one.....I can imagine the walk to some of the rooms facing the parking lot are far...:goodvibes

Andre - your little girl is so sweet!!

79 days to go....not that i wish summer away, but Sept can't get here soon enough! haha

We just got back from 14 perfect nights at POR. All I can say is, its still my favorite resort! No problems, got a great location in Magnolia Terrace. We have stayed at POR twice before, always in AB and I was worried I wouldn't love a mansion room as much but we did. Now I can honestly say, I don't care where we get put for future stays, I know I'll be happy.

I'll be posting a more detailed review in the next day or two but wanted to come on here and just say how wonderful it was. Our room was very clean, the furniture was scuffed up but everything else was in fine shape. Nothing but great housekeeping, food was wonderful as always and the whole two weeks was without a hitch. Great bussing except one day when we waited a bit over an hour for an AK bus (which can happen anywhere). We didn't share with POFQ quite as often as in previous trips.

I want to go back and I have at least a year to wait. I am so envious of those of you going in the near future!:goodvibes

Sorry I can't remember which building it was. Thanks for the nice comments again about the last shot. It's really not hard taking pretty shots at this resort. Still can't believe the pricing for the upgraded rooms. I guess someone will probably pay though.

IMG_1529.jpg

We are stayin at POR for the first time in the middle part of January. We are a family of 5, so obviously, we will be in the Alligator Bayou.
So,with the latest information that the refurbs will be starting in late October - there may be 2 of the buildings completed from that list of 4...Buildings 36-39

We have booked a standard room - and although the rooms that will be undergoing the re-furb look to be at the back of the resort - can I get some POV's on whether we should request one of the newly re-furbed AB rooms or get closer to the main building (without going for a preferred)

The idea of having a newer room is nice, of course. The idea of Queen Size beds is pretty important to us.

What is the trade-off? Only relevant for walks to the food court / main building? The North Bus stop looks really handy to the four buildings.

Thanks!

I have seen pictures of the royal rooms with a canopy over the beds and some pictures with some sort of picture box over the beds. Does anyone know which will be the case. My wife and I were discussing it, and can not beleive they would have a "royal room" without a canopy over the bed. We both love the pictures with the canopy and are ready to book it, but will refuse to stay there if the beds do not have the canopies.

So,with the latest information that the refurbs will be starting in late October - there may be 2 of the buildings completed from that list of 4...Buildings 36-39

What is the trade-off? Only relevant for walks to the food court / main building? The North Bus stop looks really handy to the four buildings.

By the middle of January, Alligator Bayou buildings 36, 37, 38 and 39 should all have been completed (they are meant to be done before Xmas in fact). They are all a bit of a trek to the main building to be honest, but building 38 isn't too bad, especially with the bridge across to the Ol' Man Island pool. The North Depot bus stop is fairly close too. If you want a refurbed room, ask for building 38.

I have seen pictures of the royal rooms with a canopy over the beds and some pictures with some sort of picture box over the beds. Does anyone know which will be the case.

The early market research images showed a partial canopy over the beds, plus nicer ceiling detailing and some other things which got trimmed down by the time we saw the first artist's impressions of the rooms that they are going to actually build. The canopies didn't make it through the cost/benefit analysis I suspect.

Here's the original market research image vs. the sample room for which publicity photos have now been released:

Market Research Survey Image:
roomtheme-royal1.jpg

Rendering of the the final concept:
POR-RoyalRoom-ConceptArt-250411_forum.jpg

Publicity photo of a sample room:
POR-RoyalRoom-991823_forum.jpg

It's a shame really, as I agree the original images looked lovely - and if you look at the final results, while they still look pretty, most of the decor changes are now fairly superficial. Even the ornate coving is gone, replaced with a simple paper border strip, as is the wooden door frame and heraldry detailing.

Andre

Market Research Survey Image:
roomtheme-royal1.jpg

Rendering of the the final concept:
POR-RoyalRoom-ConceptArt-250411_forum.jpg

Publicity photo of a sample room:
POR-RoyalRoom-991823_forum.jpg

It's a shame really, as I agree the original images looked lovely - and if you look at the final results, while they still look pretty, most of the decor changes are now fairly superficial. Even the ornate coving is gone, replaced with a simple paper border strip, as is the wooden door frame and heraldry detailing.

Andre

I agree. I really liked the looks of some of the details in the original concept, and think the final version looks too watered down. I see the ceiling fan is gone too. :rolleyes1

The early market research images showed a partial canopy over the beds, plus nicer ceiling detailing and some other things which got trimmed down by the time we saw the first artist's impressions of the rooms that they are going to actually build. The canopies didn't make it through the cost/benefit analysis I suspect.

I'm not surprised. Canopies are a bear to keep clean! Stripping the room to take down & replace a dirty canopy with a clean one would seriously increase the amount of time mousekeeping would have to spend in a room. And with all the cutbacks in staff, I really can't imagine that they want to increase the time in a room and decrease the number of rooms a mousekeeper could do in a shift.

I'm not surprised. Canopies are a bear to keep clean! Stripping the room to take down & replace a dirty canopy with a clean one would seriously increase the amount of time mousekeeping would have to spend in a room. And with all the cutbacks in staff, I really can't imagine that they want to increase the time in a room and decrease the number of rooms a mousekeeper could do in a shift.

I agree about the canopies. While they look great, another thing that would be worrying me is spiders. I wouldn't want to untie the canopies for the evening and discover a spider was hiding in there.. :scared1:

However I'm disappointed Disney changed the dresser and nighttable tops from a hard service to cloth. The cloth will just get stained, dirty and ripped. Having a hard service over top of the wood was a much better choice.

I agree about the canopies. While they look great, another thing that would be worrying me is spiders. I wouldn't want to untie the canopies for the evening and discover a spider was hiding in there.. :scared1:

However I'm disappointed Disney changed the dresser and nighttable tops from a hard service (sic) to cloth. The cloth will just get stained, dirty and ripped. Having a hard service (sic) over top of the wood was a much better choice.

Actually, I enlarged the picture and it is not cloth at all - it is formica, which is a durable as well as a cleanable surface. We specify and install it all the time on countertops, etc.

More than likely, with Disney's connections, they had it custom-made to match the curtains, which is why you may have assumed it was cloth.

It's still a looooooooooooong ways off, but we already know we love Sept. in the World. We just booked a Royal Room for Sept. 2012. I was sold when I saw the LED headboards on the bed and the hot pink chairs. Hopefully people won't completely trash them in the 6 months between when they open and we finally get there, LOL.

Actually, I enlarged the picture and it is not cloth at all - it is formica, which is a durable as well as a cleanable surface. We specify and install it all the time on countertops, etc.

More than likely, with Disney's connections, they had it custom-made to match the curtains, which is why you may have assumed it was cloth.

That's good to know! Through the photo I thought it was cloth. Which made no sense to me!

It's still a looooooooooooong ways off, but we already know we love Sept. in the World. We just booked a Royal Room for Sept. 2012. I was sold when I saw the LED headboards on the bed and the hot pink chairs. Hopefully people won't completely trash them in the 6 months between when they open and we finally get there, LOL.

What are positives of WDW during Sept. Taking my daughter for her birthday Sept 14-21,2012. Still debating between royal room, or AoA for theme or contempory for convienance and nostalgia(its where I stayed when I was a kid)

Just switched today from POFQ to POR for my Oct 2012 trip. It's my 30th birthday celebration and I like the looks of the Royal rooms. Why not stay in a room fit for a princess? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter